BO0A5948.jpg

SOUTH ORANGE, NEW JERSEY - Walsh Gymnasium
SETON HALL (1-0) vs. FORDHAM (1-0)
DateTimeLive VideoLive AudioLive StatsTwitter
Sat.,
Nov. 13
11:30 AMFloSportsWSOU logoLIVE STATS@SHUWBB

THE GAME
Seton Hall will return to action when it hosts Fordham on Saturday morning, Nov. 13, at newly-renovated Walsh Gymnasium. Tip time is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.

** INDOOR MASK REQUIREMENT **
For those interested in attending Seton Hall's home contests at Walsh Gym... please note... All individuals (vaccinated and unvaccinated) are required to wear a mask at all indoor, nonresidential, on-campus University settings, except when alone or dining.

MEDIA
The game will be streamed live by the Pirate Sports Network and shown on FloSports with Matt Ambrose and Ali Jaques on the call. As usual, the game will also be available over the airwaves at 89.5 FM WSOU and at wsou.net. Johathan Heite and Ryan Henry will describe the action on the radio. Live stats will also be available.

WSOU is now also airing a postgame "Hall Line" show following its women's basketball games. Be sure to tune in after the final buzzer.

STREAM INFORMATION
The contest will streamed on FloSports, one of the leading streaming services in the world. Special Seton Hall pricing is available only through this link for fans who want to subscribe to watch Seton Hall events, home and away, as well as all other live events on the FloSports platform. Fans with an .edu school address can purchase a subscription for $6.99 per month, and all other fans can purchase a subscription for $12.50 per month. The non-Seton Hall pricing on FloSports is normally $29.99 per month.

LAST GAME
Junior Lauren Park-Lane (Wilmington, Del.) and Andra Espinoza-Hunter (Ossining, N.Y.) combined for 45 points as the Pirates opened the 2021-22 season with an 81-68 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Tuesday. After a mostly even start, the Pirates had a game-changing 15-0 run in the second quarter, which proved to be the difference.

Park-Lane had only three points after one quarter, but broke out in the next three, finishing with a game-high 24 points to go with four assists, four steals and three rebounds. Espinoza-Hunter had 21 points and four rebounds. Junior Mya Jackson (Wilmington, Ohio) chipped in 16 points, three rebounds and a pair of steals.

Seton Hall's All-Time vs. the Rams: Seton Hall leads, 7-4
Last Meeting:
Seton Hall 66, Fordham 54 (F) – December 9, 2015
First Meeting:
Fordham 56, Seton Hall 52 (F) – 1976-77 season

SCOUTING FORDHAM
Fordham is coming off a 12-6 final record during the abbreviated 2020-21 season. The Rams were bounced in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship by UMass, but still qualified for the WNIT. In the WNIT, Fordham routed Delaware, 77-49, before falling to Ohio, 81-64, in the second round.

This season, the Rams are predicted to finish third in the 14-team Atlantic 10 according to the league's preseason coaches poll. Junior Anna DeWolfe was named to the Preseason All-Conference First Team, while Kendell Heremaia earned Preseason Second Team honors.

Fordham opened the 2021-22 season against Quinnipiac on Tuesday with a 79-71 overtime victory in the Bronx. Senior Asiah Dingle erupted for a game-high 34 points on 11-for-17 shooting. DeWolfe finished with 17 points.

UP NEXT
Seton Hall will return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 16 when it hosts Lehigh in Walsh Gym. Tip-time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET. The contest will be streamed live by the Pirate Sports Network and shown on FloSports.

Live stats

It is early but you don't want to see that. Hurts on Selection day when you are on the bubble.

The women didn't play well in their first game victory. Now with this very bad loss they'll have to look into a mirror and refocus on what's needed to reach their potential.

The women didn't play well in their first game victory. Now with this very bad loss they'll have to look into a mirror and refocus on what's needed to reach their potential.
Seems as though they have another year where they have no defense

20 pt loss to fordham? is it time to fire to tony yet? not sure how that guy gets a pass year after year. seems like its a constant state of underdelivering and disappointing.

One more thing they were out rebounded by a much smaller team HORRIBLE. The 2 guards for Fordham are v good on both ends of the floor. On to tomorrow. Let's get this done. GO PIRATES !!!

Reactions: thehall07
Long enough to have the best Big East record (by far) of any coach in the school's history.
seems to always underdeliver against expectations but the craziest part is how many players transfer from the program. for such a great guy players seem to leave at an awfully high rate even before new transfer rules.

i guess with a sport like womens basketball you just ride it out forever.

No player he had to my knowledge ever transferred up.

'Remember, you get 15 'ships in women's BB so transfers are the norm.

We’ve gone through this time and time again, but every team has 15 scholarships and most don’t have the same numbers. The other two responses are that if players are transferring down, it asks why they were recruited, and if 15 scholarships are too many have around, then don’t use them.

It’s obviously super early, but we’ve seen this so many times before that there’s reason to cast doubt.

Maybe other teams don't use 15 'ships every year. Tony has them and he uses them.

I can only think of 1 quality player that left the program and that was last season when DESIREE ELMORE transferred to her 3rd team in 3 years.

That hurt, but she did not transfers up.

Tony will retire from the position he will not get fired unless something crazy happens. He is who he is and I never expect much from his teams because like Willard he is very consistent.
3rd place BE finish means little when you don’t make the tournament.

Reactions: SHUSA and JGCPA
One more thing they were out rebounded by a much smaller team HORRIBLE. The 2 guards for Fordham are v good on both ends of the floor. On to tomorrow. Let's get this done. GO PIRATES !!!
As I sat with silk city, I agree We were bad from start to the end of the 3rd qtr. then it got worse
Our star players had 4 fouls each and we were out of position for rebounds. Turnovers galore.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Tony will retire from the position he will not get fired unless something crazy happens. He is who he is and I never expect much from his teams because like Willard he is very consistent.

Third place also means little when no one played close to 20 games in a Covid season, other teams were tied with 5 losses in the loss column and they bowed out against Creighton quickly in the BET.

It’s great that he’s a promoter and ambassador for the program and school, but at some point his teams have to consistently play quality basketball.

3rd includes UConn who no one in the conference is beating.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
So basically little he does short of Dancing (we are a strong mid major BTW) will satisfy our fans?
I think NCAA every 4-5 years is fine for me with WBB. I am not complaining about Tony, he is what he is… a great guy, promoter and alumn. Let him go out in his own terms and go from there in 10 years.

KIP_1717.jpg

Cooks, Espinoza-Hunter Excel in Pirate Loss to Fordham​

Cooks nets team-highs of 21 points and nine rebounds in her first game as a Pirate.​

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. – Playing in her first game in a Pirate uniform, Sidney Cooks (Kenosha, Wis.) scored a team-high 21 points to go with nine rebounds, but the Seton Hall women's basketball team fell to Fordham, 82-63, on Saturday.

After trailing by as many as 14 points in the first half, The Hall used a 12-1 run late in the third quarter to cut its deficit to only two points. But the Pirates never got closer.

Cooks was an efficient 10-for-15 from the field and drained a three-pointer in her first action of the season. Andra Espinoza-Hunter (Ossining, N.Y.) finished with 20 points, 14 in the second half, and was 4-for-6 from three-point range. She also grabbed seven rebounds.

The Story:
Seton Hall started the game well, jumping out to an early 7-3 lead on a jumper by Cooks, but Fordham closed out the first quarter with a 15-6 run and took an 18-13 lead into the second. The Pirates rallied with an 8-2 run to open the quarter, and a three-pointer by Espinoza-Hunter gave them a 21-20 lead with 8:24 left before halftime. An 8-1 Fordham run enabled them to re-claim the lead and give it a 29-22 cushion with 5:17 left in the first half.

Seton Hall trailed 42-29 at the half, but was out-shooting Fordham, 39.3%-to-38.5%. The Pirate deficit was due in large part to 11 turnovers and 2-for-9 shooting from three-point range.

The Pirates out-scored Fordham in the third quarter, 23-16, as they mounted a comeback. Down 50-37, The Hall went on a 12-1 burst, and a pair of free-throws by Lauren Park-Lane (Wilmington, Del.) cut its deficit to just two points, 51-49, with 1:49 left in the third. The Rams, however, regrouped and took a six-point lead into the fourth quarter.

Fordham started the fourth quarter with seven straight points to extend its advantage to 65-52 with 7:20 left to play. Another jumper by Espinoza-Hunter cut the Pirates' deficit to nine, 65-56, with 6:40 to go, but they didn't get closer.

Inside the Numbers:
  • Seton Hall was 22-for-57 (38.6%) from the floor for the game, while Fordham was 31-for-70 (44.3%). The Hall was 6-for-16 (37.5%) from three-point range, while the Rams were 9-for-26 (34.6%).
  • Cooks finished with team-highs of 21 points, on 10-for-15 shooting, and nine rebounds.
  • The Hall was out-rebounded by Fordham, 44-to-33, including a 14-to-5 advantage on the offensive boards and a 15-to-5 edge in second-chance points.
  • Espinoza-Hunter had 20 points and was 4-for-6 from three-point range. She also collected seven rebounds.
  • Seton Hall was 13-for-17 (76.5%) from the free-throw line, while Fordham was 11-for-16 (68.8%).
  • Park-Lane had 15 points and a game-high six assists with only two turnovers.
  • Seton Hall forced 16 turnovers, while Fordham forced 20.
News & Notes:
  • Seton Hall drops to 1-1 on the young season, while Fordham improves to 2-0.
  • The Hall is now 7-5 all-time against the Rams.
  • The Pirates improve to 91-37 in Walsh Gym during the Bozzella era. This is only the eighth loss against non-conference opponents in 57 games.
  • With six assists today, Park-Lane moved past former Pirate Texlin Quinney and into a tie with Cecilia Linqvist for 17th place on Seton Hall's career list.
  • Espinoza-Hunter's 20-point game is her second of the season and the ninth in 19 games so far as a Pirate.
Up Next:
Seton Hall will return to action on Saturday, Nov. 16 when it hosts Lehigh in newly-renovated Walsh Gymnasium. The game will be streamed live by the Pirate Sports Network and available for subscribers at FloSports. Tickets are available by calling 973-275-HALL (4255). Tip-time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.

Damn, Cooks almost had a triple double in her first game

21 points
9 rebounds
7 turnovers

Don't know much about the Fordham coach but she knows what she's doing and does a v good job and runs a solid program.

Reactions: JGCPA
So basically little he does short of Dancing (we are a strong mid major BTW) will satisfy our fans?
I agree. Tony and staff have a more than respectable program in place. If it was so bad why would all these ladies make this their destination? Word would filter out sooner or later. The team always seems to be short one key on court player and many times it has been a severe injury that has set them back. No excuse because other teams have injuries, but they have had some bad luck. I did not see the Fordham game, so I can't comment too much on what happened. I would say that there are too many games that make you shake your head early and those come back to haunt them in the end, They must eliminate some of these missteps.

Strong? No way. Good? Yes.

We know you like the guy a lot personally, and he gives you all sorts of access and info. But we’d just like to see more results than what we’ve gotten over the years (four of his eight teams have finished 7th or below). Manny Schellscheidt was a great guy… Shep Sr was a great guy. But they still had to be held accountable. Same goes for Tony. It’s only two games into the season, so writing him or the team off now is silly. But it’s always within reason to have concerns.

Check out his record at SHU and the tournament invites he's had. Then compare them to men's strong mid majors. They're comparable.

Too much hate for a program that is not a high major due to excessive expectations. Some I admit are generated by the coach himself.

Check out his record at SHU and the tournament invites he's had. Then compare them to men's strong mid majors. They're comparable.

Too much hate for a program that is not a high major due to excessive expectations. Some I admit are generated by the coach himself.

You can’t compare men’s vs women’s achievements in basketball …. The difference between the haves and have nots is way too different. But no one is hating the program. For all the hype that’s generated from within, I just see the four 7th or below finishes in 8 years over a bunch of setting-the-bar-low WNIT bids (almost all with early exits) and two NCAA trips early in his time at SHU that also ended with first round losses. Those are facts and not hate. Everyone here just wishes for results equal to the annual hype. They’ve got around 30 more games this year to get those results. I don’t think anyone is hoping that they don’t.

Is Fordham a "powerhouse," too, like Lehigh's men?
When do we play UCONN???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT