ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino on the Hurley situation

If Bob Sr and his wife are against it he won't do it.But what does Pitino know.

If Bob Sr and his wife are against it he won't do it.But what does Pitino know.
Pretty much what I said on the other thread - his wife is very into keeping roots in or near NJ…California is a long ways from the East Coast. FWIW…

Living in sunny tinseltown with 100 mill. Who would ever want to do that. Lol.

Hope dan stays at uconn. I am a laker fan and would love him as la coach. But imo him at uconn is best for the BE and SHU and that is what i care about. Imo

Reactions: SnakeTom and CL82
I can’t imagine he jumped on the plane and flew to LA to interview without at least discussing the possibility of moving to LA with his wife. He may ultimately stay at UConn but if in a husky fan I wouldn’t feel so comfortable.

None of us know what Danny and his wife wants. Hope he stays at UConn but won’t be surprised at all if he jumps to LA. If Jay Wright bailed on the state of college basketball to be an announcer, anything is possible.

Reactions: PF58
Do you guys think the new system is bad for uconn? After the season, to help you fill in your holes, experienced kids line up and formally say they are available and uconn has money to pay them. And i assume no one leaves due to money.

To me, this is about wanting to take the next step in his career. Not leaving to college system. For most coaches the system is bad. I dont see how it hurts dan at uconn.

Do you guys think the new system is bad for uconn? After the season, to help you fill in your holes, experienced kids line up and formally say they are available and uconn has money to pay them. And i assume no one leaves due to money.

To me, this is about wanting to take the next step in his career. Not leaving to college system. For most coaches the system is bad. I dont see how it hurts dan at uconn.
I think the system is bad for old school people who build relationships with their players. I’m sure he has seen players from 30-40 years ago stay in contact with his dad. I’m sure over the last 20 years he’s built many similar relationships himself. Those days are done.

Reactions: PF58
I think the system is bad for old school people who build relationships with their players. I’m sure he has seen players from 30-40 years ago stay in contact with hi1 dad. I’m sure over the last 20 years he’s built many similar relationships himself. Those +days are done.
As a basketball program, imo the new rules make an uneven playing field and dan and uconn are firmly on the top end.

No reason why clinghan et al cant stay in touch. We hate it cause we lost dre and kr. Dan isnt gonna lose those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08

The college basketball landscape is unsettled right now and who knows what the next five years look like. The NBA is a given.

Who knows where NIL goes and what regulations will be imposed? Who knows how conference realignment shakes out?

Even at UConn, you have to deal with teenage kids and their handlers. Sure it might be easier, but it’s gotta be a frustrating part of the job.

The hierarchy that the new rules have created, based on money, are to me what sucks. And dan may think that it is unfair. But it clearly helps uconn.

Reactions: chickenbox
As a basketball program, imo the new rules make an uneven playing field and dan and uconn are firmly on the top end.

No reason why clinghan et al cant stay in touch. We hate it cause we lost dre and kr. Dan isnt gonna lose those guys.
I'm not so sure about that. If Calipari and the University of Walmart want a UConn guy, they can put together an offer tomorrow to take them. While UConn's NIL is very strong, nothing is stopping bigger money from taking away those guys.

The hierarchy that the new rules have created, based on money, are to me what sucks. And dan may think that it is unfair. But it clearly helps uconn.
But that might be correct for today. There is a lot of uncertainty right now and that could all change in a couple of years.

Pitino can never keep his mouth shut.
Because reporters and media types know that every time he opens it, people pay attention. Not many college basketball coaches you can say that about. He’s a media members dream, no different than Hurley and all his antics on and off the court. This is why it’s great to have guys like that in the league. They bring a whole set of coverage and attention that wouldn’t otherwise exist.

Because reporters and media types know that every time he opens it, people pay attention. Not many college basketball coaches you can say that about. He’s a media members dream, no different than Hurley and all his antics on and off the court. This is why it’s great to have guys like that in the league. They bring a whole set of coverage and attention that wouldn’t otherwise exist.

Not to mention the original Big East was built off guys like this. It helped make the league great.
Yeah and over the long haul he’s on every side of every issue.

I can’t imagine he jumped on the plane and flew to LA to interview without at least discussing the possibility of moving to LA with his wife. He may ultimately stay at UConn but if in a husky fan I wouldn’t feel so comfortable.
He did speak with her and initially she was upset. Essentially, she said they have a "perfect" life in Connecticut at UConn and she didn't want to change that.

She agreed to go out to the west coast with him and when they both got there they were impressed by the Lakers offer and liked what they saw of LA and the surrounding area. By the time they flew back they knew they wanted to stay at Connecticut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT