ADVERTISEMENT

Providence basketball recruit Oswin Erhunmwunse moves to '24 class

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer

Oswin Erhunmwunse, the No. 31 college basketball recruit in the 2025 ESPN 100, is reclassifying into the 2024 class and will enroll at Providence for the 2024-25 season, he announced Monday.

Although a reclassification was always on the table, Erhunmwunse, who had originally committed to the Friars in January, didn't make it official until this week.

"Oswin is an elite talent, and we are excited that he will be joining our team this season," coach Kim English said. "Oswin has the ability to score the ball in a number of ways and is dominant on the defensive side of the ball. Most importantly, he has an infectious personality and he will be great fit for the culture of our program."

A 6-foot-10 center from Putnam Science Academy (Connecticut), Erhunmwunse is ranked as ESPN's No. 2 center in the country. He played for BABC on the Adidas 3SSB grassroots circuit this spring, averaging 9.6 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.0 blocks and shooting 57.4% from the field.

Erhunmwunse, who was born in Nigeria, also participated in the prestigious NBPA Top 100 camp earlier this month. In nine games, he averaged 12.6 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.2 blocks, shooting better than 67% from the field.

English rebuilt his 2024-25 roster mostly via the portal this spring, adding Bensley Joseph (Miami), Jabri Abdur-Rahim (Georgia), Christ Essandoko (Saint Joseph's) and Wesley Cardet Jr. (Chicago State) to a returning group led by Bryce Hopkins and Jayden Pierre.

Erhunmwunse joins Ryan Mela in the Friars' freshman class, while his reclassification means Providence's lone commitment in the 2025 class is five-star wing Jamier Jones.

Remember this when Payday Moore moves up a year.
It will be remembered with the same vigor as those going nuts last year when other programs moved a scholarship-worthy player to a walk-on role to make room for another scholarship worry player, like the recent Dual situation.

Reactions: SPK145
I love how you’re just allowed to skip grades now with no questions asked.
Guess is he had enough credits to qualify as a high school graduate. Situations with international students and "alternative" schools like Putnam Science are murky at best,

They lost one great and one very good player but I agree it seems like they’ve reloaded pretty damn well.

Good. The Big East will be a beast again. Just not as top heavy.
I think that the BE will have more top 25 teams this year but not 3 top 10. I think that UConn, Creighton, SJU, Xavier, Providence and Marquette could be top 25 teams. DePaul and Georgetown much improved. Teams with over 500 conference records will likely get bids.

Reactions: Halldan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT