ADVERTISEMENT

Razorback

Hey, we have never lost an 8-9 game. (But the next game both times was painful...)

This is what I was hoping for in Dan's question from earlier last week. I'd so much rather play a middling team from a major conference like Arkansas than a St. Mary's.

This is a very fair and winnable first game for us. UNC will be a tall order next Sunday, but what a chance it represents. They're no better than Villanova, so...

No one can say the selection committee screwed us this time around. Good draw , good location and a game that's very winnable.

Could not agree more. Nine seed sounds about right. Experlence from last year will be very helpful. Let's take care of business.

Really like the draw we received! Hall can handle Arkansas if we play our game. Love the fact that we are staying in the eastern time zone. Pirate Pride!

anothee positive , ish gets almost a full week of rest for that ankle as we do not play until Friday. Est hopefully a mid afternoon match or early evening game

Very athletic swing players who will press aggressively.

Arkansas got much better as the season progressed.

Good coach.

I was hoping for a repeat vs Florida or any Pac10 team or any Big 10 team not named Michigan.

Premium is the only board on their rivals site actually used, and the only thread I see on it is "Horrible Draw" so at least one person is not thrilled about getting us.

Another thing that caught my eye. They beat everybody they were supposed to. Game cocks where their only upset win. Level of competition was way down for the SEC. we played 7 NCAA teams twice. That level of competing should be a big help for us.

Another thing that caught my eye. They beat everybody they were supposed to. Game cocks where their only upset win. Level of competition was way down for the SEC. we played 7 NCAA teams twice. That level of competing should be a big help for us.

We did have bad losses to Missouri and Mississippi State, but we really started playing better late in the season.

Looking forward to the game. It seems like we've been in the same bracket as UNC the last three times we've made the tourney lol

Reactions: SHUMA04
Premium is the only board on their rivals site actually used, and the only thread I see on it is "Horrible Draw" so at least one person is not thrilled about getting us.
Arkansas fans don't really post on rivals much. I used to post here before the fit hit the shan and they started doing the post timeout bs. Now i post over at the hoop.

This is where the majority of Arkansas fans post, been going strong for prolly like 15 years or more:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=628443.0

As you can see fans definitely talking about Seton Hall. We're not a great team by any stretch of the imagination, but we're not chopped liver. SEC wasn't as weak as it seems, in fact its much better than its been since Donovan left UF. We expect to either win or keep it close.

This is what I was hoping for in Dan's question from earlier last week. I'd so much rather play a middling team from a major conference like Arkansas than a St. Mary's.

This is a very fair and winnable first game for us. UNC will be a tall order next Sunday, but what a chance it represents. They're no better than Villanova, so...

Much different team than Nova, as they have a lot more depth and height. But they don't have that one consistent scorer like Nova has with Hart. Jackson is good but he seems to be streaky. Berry also is a very good guard.

I just want to make sure we get the opportunity to play UNC. Let's take care of business Mariano Duncan style: Play today, win today!

Arkansas fans seem to think they're going to run us out of the gym. If they are a heavy run-and-gun team, and it seems like they like to put up points, that will be tough to get over the hurdle if we're only playing 7 guys. They're extremely efficient on offense. We are not.

Arkansas fans don't really post on rivals much. I used to post here before the fit hit the shan and they started doing the post timeout bs. Now i post over at the hoop.

This is where the majority of Arkansas fans post, been going strong for prolly like 15 years or more:

As you can see fans definitely talking about Seton Hall. We're not a great team by any stretch of the imagination, but we're not chopped liver. SEC wasn't as weak as it seems, in fact its much better than its been since Donovan left UF. We expect to either win or keep it close.

Glad to have you on our board. You'll find that our fans are fairly knowledgeable and usually complimentary to our opponents sometimes too critical of our own team.

So far we have played 2 of the 4 top teams in the SEC. SHU played Florida on Thanksgiving in Orlando and South Carolina at MSG. Both games were very close. Obviously USC was missing their best player. We lost to Florida and beat USC. I believe if they had their top guy it still would have been a close game.

You would think that an 8/9 game has 2 teams that are perceived to be close in talent. My view of SEC teams is that they usually have exceptional athletes on the roster. That's always going to create matchup problems.

We expect a tough game. We can win for sure and we can lose without doubt. It probably will come down to a few point spread either way.

One thing I would point out is that last year after a long absence from the NCAAs our guys were spent from beating Villanova in the BigEast Championship. In addition to being flat our guys couldn't adjust to the altitude of Denver against a better than advertised Gonzaga team. This year they are all business and have more experience with The Tournament. They may play a much better game this year. We all hope so

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing.

One bit of backdrop: if Seton Hall fans seem "relieved" at drawing Arkansas in an 8/9 game it's because we have a hangover from last year when many thought we got an unfair draw.

We were Big East champs coming off two consecutive wins against top 5 teams including Villanova...and drew a 6 seed against a severely underseeded 11 in Gonzaga out West with a 1am ET tip off. Not surprisingly we got drilled from the opening tip.

By comparison, today we are relieved because Arkansas is a legit 8, we are a legit 9 and the game is on the east coast.

Reactions: RazorbackForever
Here are condensed replays of their SEC tournament games to get a sense on how they play:

Initial perspective, they have a few guards who can shoot and drive, although do not appear as athletic as Carrington. If we double team or are slow on D they'll be able to pass around the arc to find an open shot. They have a couple athletic SF/PF players. Without a true shot blocker, hopefully we'll be able to guard against drives to the basket and disrupt them that way.

Reactions: OleRedHog
Some seem very confident....they never take into account the stranglehold our defense will be on their players.

Reading their forum is pretty funny. They can't seem to grasp the idea of why Seton Hall fans are "relieved" with an 8/9 matchup. They think we believe an easy win is coming, when that is way out of context. We're just happy to not be against BS game vs. a highly under-seeded 11 seed. Should be a great game.

Rimas - You are right. they don't know the type of defense we play and they think one guy will be able to push around the nation's best rebounder. Good luck with that.

Hi, SHU fans, I just wanted to stop by and say that I didn't mean any disrespect with my post earlier. We expect to win not because we think you're inferior, and yes we know the Big East is a solid league. We just want to win so so bad. Our program has been in the cellar for probably 20 years or more. This is not just us fans, its the coach and the team too. They want to win.

I'll give you a run down on our players.

Jaylen Barford: Probably our best player, he's a solid athlete but not elite. very good ballhandler and specializes in acrobatic layups. scores at all 3 levels. If he gets cold, he does seem to disappear so there's that. Either the best player on the court or a non factor, but always plays good defense.

Dusty Hannahs: 3pt shooter, will chuck it from anywhere. crafty scorer, but not very athletic. Scores at all 3 levels. Been cold lately but usually hits a few big shots every game. we will likely try to hide him in the middle of the zone on defense if we can get away with it.

Daryl Macon: Very streaky, scores at all 3 levels, good ball handler. good defender.

Dustin Thomas: Undersized power forward, not a threat to score and only an average defender.

Moses Kingsley: Mixed bag. Overhyped shot blocker. Average athlete. Has a slew of post moves, but he's an extremely streaker scorer. Prone to mental errors. poor on ball defense in the post, gets pushed around at times. Will attempt to face up and shoot with mixed results. gets out of position on defense often.

Bench:
Manny Watkins: Limited, but plays good defense. decent handles, bad passer. doesn't shoot much, but seems to make more than he misses. Hit game winner at south carolina. He's a circus guy, making random weird shots in almost every game. You can tell he's a coaches son, he has good fundamentals and is unselfish.

Anton Beard: Undersized lefty. Tends to be selfish with the ball (dribble and hold), but doesn't shoot often. He can shoot but he only shoots if he's wide open.

Trey Thompson: He's a big strong guy, not very athletic. Blocks shots, and is a great passer. Not a very good defender because of his athleticism, but he's big and strong.

Arlando Cook: Decent athlete, good fundamentals and good rebounder. runs the floor. can shoot the three, only has one post move the dropstep and layup. plays decent defense but undersized.

Rarely plays:

Adrio Bailey: Athletic freak, no handles and poor shot mechanics. can bang in post, good out of area rebounder due to his athleticism. He will play if someone is in foul trouble.

Cj Jones: Good shooter, plus athlete. Plays terrible defense. Doesn't give good effort and looks totally lost. Only plays in blowouts.

Brachen Hazen: Decent athlete, decent shooter. Not very strong but a good passer. He only plays in blowouts or in cases of foul trouble.

I think the Flights to Greenville cost more than Denver from last year.
Hi, SHU fans, I just wanted to stop by and say that I didn't mean any disrespect with my post earlier. We expect to win not because we think you're inferior, and yes we know the Big East is a solid league. We just want to win so so bad. Our program has been in the cellar for probably 20 years or more. This is not just us fans, its the coach and the team too. They want to win.

I'll give you a run down on our players.

Jaylen Barford: Probably our best player, he's a solid athlete but not elite. very good ballhandler and specializes in acrobatic layups. scores at all 3 levels. If he gets cold, he does seem to disappear so there's that. Either the best player on the court or a non factor, but always plays good defense.

Dusty Hannahs: 3pt shooter, will chuck it from anywhere. crafty scorer, but not very athletic. Scores at all 3 levels. Been cold lately but usually hits a few big shots every game. we will likely try to hide him in the middle of the zone on defense if we can get away with it.

Daryl Macon: Very streaky, scores at all 3 levels, good ball handler. good defender.

Dustin Thomas: Undersized power forward, not a threat to score and only an average defender.

Moses Kingsley: Mixed bag. Overhyped shot blocker. Average athlete. Has a slew of post moves, but he's an extremely streaker scorer. Prone to mental errors. poor on ball defense in the post, gets pushed around at times. Will attempt to face up and shoot with mixed results. gets out of position on defense often.

Bench:
Manny Watkins: Limited, but plays good defense. decent handles, bad passer. doesn't shoot much, but seems to make more than he misses. Hit game winner at south carolina. He's a circus guy, making random weird shots in almost every game. You can tell he's a coaches son, he has good fundamentals and is unselfish.

Anton Beard: Undersized lefty. Tends to be selfish with the ball (dribble and hold), but doesn't shoot often. He can shoot but he only shoots if he's wide open.

Trey Thompson: He's a big strong guy, not very athletic. Blocks shots, and is a great passer. Not a very good defender because of his athleticism, but he's big and strong.

Arlando Cook: Decent athlete, good fundamentals and good rebounder. runs the floor. can shoot the three, only has one post move the dropstep and layup. plays decent defense but undersized.

Rarely plays:

Adrio Bailey: Athletic freak, no handles and poor shot mechanics. can bang in post, good out of area rebounder due to his athleticism. He will play if someone is in foul trouble.

Cj Jones: Good shooter, plus athlete. Plays terrible defense. Doesn't give good effort and looks totally lost. Only plays in blowouts.

Brachen Hazen: Decent athlete, decent shooter. Not very strong but a good passer. He only plays in blowouts or in cases of foul trouble.

Thank you for that recap. Key of the game is the matchup of Delgado against Kingsley. Delgado has at times had difficulty scoring against bigger centers who play solid defense. If they let Kingsley defend Delgado one on one, I think Delgado has the advantage since Kingsley is inconsistent. Their guards look pretty good and they are pretty deep. Should be a good game.

Looked quickly at the matchup this morning, and one thing immediately stood out. Arkansas is 326th in the country at defensive rebounding.

Reactions: BillHall4 and ATM82
I think the Flights to Greenville cost more than Denver from last year.

Thank you for that recap. Key of the game is the matchup of Delgado against Kingsley. Delgado has at times had difficulty scoring against bigger centers who play solid defense. If they let Kingsley defend Delgado one on one, I think Delgado has the advantage since Kingsley is inconsistent. Their guards look pretty good and they are pretty deep. Should be a good game.

Flights into Charlotte are half the price and then drive to Greenville.

Here are condensed replays of their SEC tournament games to get a sense on how they play:

Initial perspective, they have a few guards who can shoot and drive, although do not appear as athletic as Carrington. If we double team or are slow on D they'll be able to pass around the arc to find an open shot. They have a couple athletic SF/PF players. Without a true shot blocker, hopefully we'll be able to guard against drives to the basket and disrupt them that way.

Moses Kingsley is a true shot blocker and should have been SEC defensive POY two years in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT