ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Would you rather lose

JRSlim2284

All World
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2005
Like it was yesterday against UConn or like this at the end of a close game

A minor distraction while everyone gets ready for Nova

That would be incredibly difficult to take. Jeez...

Of course, I also hate getting smoked. But at least we knew pretty quickly where that was headed yesterday - something that was clearly within the realm of possibility from the outset - and had time to adjust.

That other one is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

How about when the ball went through Mamu’s hands for a what-would-have-been game winner? Wasn’t that also against UConn?

Reactions: HallX2
How about when the ball went through Mamu’s hands for a what-would-have-been game winner? Wasn’t that also against UConn?
We’ve had so many over the years. I recall losing in the first round of BET to a not so good Nova team with MTE airballing the 2nd of his FTs (he missed the first) to give them the ball and the opportunity with 5 seconds remaining to race down court and score the winning basket. Another gut wrenching early BET exit.

It’s tough. I feel inclined to say “give me the UConn outcome” because, that way, you’re never totally invested and you can start getting over the game well before it’s actually over. We knew there was zero chance when we didn’t come out firing and hitting to begin the second half, if not before that. That’s pretty painless in comparison to losing a game the way Ball St. did. That’s an ending that will haunt players, coaches and the fanbase. It’s difficult to get over. I’m already over the UConn loss, embarrassing as it was. After a beatdown like that, there’s nothing you can do but look forward. In contrast, losing a triple overtime home game against creighton still weighs heavily upon my mind.

The flip side of that, which must be considered, is ”hey, at least they were involved in a close game that went down to the wire”. It was good competition. What happened with us yesterday(and the game before that)was not even competitive. So, in that sense, it’s better to lose a heartbreaker because you know your team at least has a pulse….it’s just going linger a lot longer.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
It’s tough. I feel inclined to say “give me the UConn outcome” because, that way, you’re never totally invested and you can start getting over the game well before it’s actually over. We knew there was zero chance when we didn’t come out firing and hitting to begin the second half, if not before that. That’s pretty painless in comparison to losing a game the way Ball St. did. That’s an ending that will haunt players, coaches and the fanbase. It’s difficult to get over. I’m already over the UConn loss, embarrassing as it was. After a beatdown like that, there’s nothing you can do but look forward. In contrast, losing a triple overtime home game against creighton still weighs heavily upon my mind.

The flip side of that, which must be considered, is ”hey, at least they were involved in a close game that went down to the wire”. It was good competition. What happened with us yesterday(and the game before that)was not even competitive. So, in that sense, it’s better to lose a heartbreaker because you know your team at least has a pulse….it’s just going linger a lot longer.
I signed up as a fan for entertainment. Yesterday was not entertaining after the first few minutes. Yesterday was terrible and I want to waive those types of games goodbye. Too many this year.

I rather lose in the last second thank get hammered.
It's TOUGH to swallow though.

The heart breakers are worse on fans, IMO. They linger. The ass kickings suck in the moment and look bad from the outside but I don’t think anyone thinks about the game at Marquette or Xavier as much as they do the Creighton 3OT or Providence.

Plus you’re not invested in the game as much when you’re thumped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT