ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond: NBA Profile

He’s been both a really good and interesting player at The Hall. Took a big step forward this year. He seems to march to the beat of his own drum. Technically he could use a grad year in college again.

Is he explosive enough for the NBA? Can he be as physical and crafty against NBA defenders as he can be in college? The lack of an outside shot is a killer, we know. But he’s good at those 3 factors in the tweet. The other thing is the NBA is the world’s best players. You must be a basketball junkie with tenacity and a drive. It seems he had more of that last offseason into this year, so that’s a good sign.

Then if you become a big star you can work on a light schedule with “load management” lmaoooooo

Reactions: TommyAlly
Injury prone. Granted, he’ll never play these kind of minutes at a higher level, but a history of wear and tear is already starting to build up on his body.

Injury prone. Granted, he’ll never play these kind of minutes at a higher level, but a history of wear and tear is already starting to build up on his body.
He's missed eight games in four years of college -- six last season and two this year.

That doesn't even whisper brittle to me.

Reactions: mbraue and LBP43
Unless Kadary can figure it out mentally he’ll be in the G league for two seasons making no money. And proceed to a few seasons in Europe. NBA talent potentially wasted by the inability to figure it out mentally.

I’m rooting for him, but the things that make him stand out in college are the same attributes as 50 other guys at the next level. The differential is the ability to show up day in and day out and get the job done. Don’t see KR showing up with that level of consistency due to the lack of a killer mentality

Two years ago when I spoke in the preseason to his good friend Femi Odukale I was told that Richmond was so talented wherever he played that as soon as he stepped on the court he was the best player and never needed to play hard.

Unfortunately that issue has never been totally resolved and as the competition improved he's still special but not as special as he should be.

Kooks is a good kid who just lacks the killer instinct. A shame because he has IMO no doubt about it NBA first round ability. But clearly that won't happen.

Unless Kadary can figure it out mentally he’ll be in the G league for two seasons making no money. And proceed to a few seasons in Europe. NBA talent potentially wasted by the inability to figure it out mentally.

I’m rooting for him, but the things that make him stand out in college are the same attributes as 50 other guys at the next level. The differential is the ability to show up day in and day out and get the job done. Don’t see KR showing up with that level of consistency due to the lack of a killer mentality
I’d love to disagree with you, but this is exactly what I see. If he can dial in for a couple weeks here, it can become a memorable time for us, him, and the program.

Last edited:
It is not just the Killer instinct Kooks lacks. His game does not translate to the NBA where the post players and forwards are bigger and more talented. Driving to the basket as your main offense skill DOES NOT work in the NBA for KOOKS! He lacks decent outside shooting ability and for someone promoted as a guard that is bad news if you have NBA aspirations.

He has had plenty of time to develop a 3 point shot and considering his size and athleticism he should have had no problem getting a 3 point shot off. However he never developed this skill and that is telling. It is a fundamental flaw. One that will greatly hurt his NBA aspirations.

Not only imagine his NBA chances if he had 3 point shooting skills but wow would SHU be so much better for it too! It would change the whole dynamics and results of this season for the better!

When I say killer instinct that includes the work ethic needed to maximize your talent.

Kooks can do so much more than the average player, Even the above average player. But with that talent he has to drastically improve his jump shot. That can only be done through repetition and incredibly long hours in the gym

It's a price you have to pay and without the work ethic to do so you will never be the best version of yourself.

It is not just the Killer instinct Kooks lacks. His game does not translate to the NBA where the post players and forwards are bigger and more talented. Driving to the basket as your main offense skill DOES NOT work in the NBA for KOOKS! He lacks decent outside shooting ability and for someone promoted as a guard that is bad news if you have NBA aspirations.

He has had plenty of time to develop a 3 point shot and considering his size and athleticism he should have had no problem getting a 3 point shot off. However he never developed this skill and that is telling. It is a fundamental flaw. One that will greatly hurt his NBA aspirations.

Not only imagine his NBA chances if he had 3 point shooting skills but wow would SHU be so much better for it too! It would change the whole dynamics and results of this season for the better!
Exactly. It’s his 4th year of college basketball. Has he not had time over the last 4 years to develop the 3 point shot or atleast make significant improvement? The reason it hasn’t happened is because he lacks the mental component to be great. To dans point from Femis comment. Hes never needed to

NIL - 500K for Kooks- he stays in College next year. That is what NIL is all about - keep the best players longer.

Pay more than G-League and International - makes for better TV revenue.

In this day and age, who knows? He might just be worth it. Imagine what our record would be without Richmond this year.

Put him on a contender and he could make the difference in a good year and a great one.

Reactions: HALL85 and Piratz
When I say killer instinct that includes the work ethic needed to maximize your talent.

Kooks can do so much more than the average player, Even the above average player. But with that talent he has to drastically improve his jump shot. That can only be done through repetition and incredibly long hours in the gym

It's a price you have to pay and without the work ethic to do so you will never be the best version of yourself.
How his shot when from last yr to this year will forever confuse me. But I can think of a bunch of players who came into the NBA with no shot and did pretty well. Not putting him in their class of course, but how bout Magic and Kidd and I am sure a bunch of lower level players I cant think of.

Playing in a good offense with shooters all around him will be an experience for Kooks. Pair that with the ability to drive and hit cutters at the rim, who knows.

Last edited:
let me translate

1) cant shoot a lick
2) cant defend a lick
3) will have absolutely no mismatch in an NBA post

#2 is an idiotic statement.

Kadary puts in plenty of effort on defense. Not only that, he’s our second best defender. Re-watch the tape.

Good defense doesn’t always mean running around and taking charges or getting blocks.

Kadary gets to the right spot, deflects passes, most often keeps his man from getting a good shot off and boxes out. He is more than solid on defense and in my opinion that combined with his will to get to the rim as well as his playmaking makes him a 2nd round pick that can stick.

NIL - 500K for Kooks- he stays in College next year. That is what NIL is all about - keep the best players longer.

Pay more than G-League and International - makes for better TV revenue.
How much could he expect to earn if he stays with us? I'd love for someone with more NIL knowledge than I (that would be most fans) at least to speculate.

How much could he expect to earn if he stays with us? I'd love for someone with more NIL knowledge than I (that would be most fans) at least to speculate.
That’s a great question. As far as I’m concerned we should offer kadary and Dre everything we got. The rest can be figured out.

It's clear as I said early in the season that Richmond plays free safety for the team. Does he get burned at times? Absolutely. But more often than not the outcome is a positive.

The key to me is his being 100% engaged as he was last night. Because the only flaw I see is that at times he doesn't close out quickly enough.

Last night that was not an issue. From the opening tip he had that look in his eyes. A look that I only wish I could see every game. Because only then do we see that Kooks effects a game as much as any player in the conference.

It's clear as I said early in the season that Richmond plays free safety for the team. Does he get burned at times? Absolutely. But more often than not the outcome is a positive.

The key to me is his being 100% engaged as he was last night. Because the only flaw I see is that at times he doesn't close out quickly enough.

Last night that was not an issue. From the opening tip he had that look in his eyes. A look that I only wish I could see every game. Because only then do we see that Kooks effects a game as much as any player in the conference.
Idk if it’ll ever be that with him but he definitely took a step forward with Shaheen overall (the odd 2 game sit out notwithstanding lol). Everyone saw the video with Boeheim talking about his lack of work ethic and Sha did a lot to drive him.

Idk if it’ll ever be that with him but he definitely took a step forward with Shaheen overall (the odd 2 game sit out notwithstanding lol). Everyone saw the video with Boeheim talking about his lack of work ethic and Sha did a lot to drive him.
Just want to note as monitor I have to read every single post. That can at times be tedious. But it's always been a pleasure to read Piratz. He's obviously a Pirate fan but his posts, even when negative are balanced and well thought out.

Holloway has shown he can fill out a roster with under the radar guys who don't command much NIL. Empty the clip on our two stars and let him work his magic on the rest. That's an NCAA team on paper, almost regardless of how the rest of the roster shakes out.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
He was also a kid with Boeheim, and is now a 22 year old grown man. Huge difference. Kids mature. People mature. Kadary was a top flight prospect and even Jimmy B touted his abilities on the way out, as I recall. A kid with top 50 ranking out of HS developing the way Richmond has over 4 years isn’t really a surprise. It happens all the time, and often much sooner than with KR’s trajectory.

Just want to note as monitor I have to read every single post. That can at times be tedious. But it's always been a pleasure to read Piratz. He's obviously a Pirate fan but his posts, even when negative are balanced and well thought out.
Thank you, much appreciated. This board has lots of great posters who are diehards and dedicated, which makes it a pleasure. Different styles and perspectives makes it all the better too and without everyone participating there’s nothing. It must be a ton of work for you and others to help to maintain the standard, but your effort makes a positive difference and is meaningful to everyone… including the basketball program itself, IMO. Look at the fundraising, engagement, etc. 👏👏

This site enhances the experience of following the team and school as we all love The Hall. I enjoy reading all the takes and insights and news, it’s great!

Piratz has long been the best poster and voice of reason on these boards, in my opinion. There are many good ones I respect on here, but he is at the top of the list.

Given the situation, question as a relates to NIL. so Richman could command 500,000 next year, but someone who is a big donor/influencer says I’ll put up the money only if he stays (because he’s a known quantity and more perceived value than a portal player that no one knows). Versus contributing much less for a lesser known player). Once again, if anyone is contributing that kind of money, they probably want to have a say, and where it goes.

Now, with that said of course, it would be good to have somebody who is ready to pony up a half a million.

I use Brunson as an example

A good college player not a game changer. Kind of slow footed etc..

But look what a tremendous pro he has become.

Richmond is bigger and is a game changer...

He could be a tremendous pro !

Reactions: LBP43 and King of S
R
I use Brunson as an example

A good college player not a game changer. Kind of slow footed etc..

But look what a tremendous pro he has become.

Richmond is bigger and is a game changer...

He could be a tremendous pro !
Richmond doesn’t have anywhere near the shooting ability or skill of Brunson, among other things, and he isn’t in the same stratosphere as Brunson as a college player.

Reactions: SHUSA
Woah, you think Brunson was nothing more than just a good player?

I have stated IMO since the end of his junior year at Nova that he was the second best PG, next to A.I., in the history of the conference.

Reactions: LBP43 and SHUSA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT