ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino, Dan Hurley beef re-ignites St. John’s-UConn rivalry

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

The St. John’s-Connecticut rivalry, dormant for many years, is starting to develop some sizzle.

And, naturally, it revolves around the two headstrong coaches, Rick Pitino and Dan Hurley.

Over the last few days, both have taken passive-aggressive shots at one another over where a game will be played next season.

The fourth-ranked Huskies narrowly got by the Johnnies in Hartford just more than a week ago.

In discussing the different venues St. John’s has played at this year, Pitino created headlines by saying he planned to play UConn at Carnesecca Arena next year.

“So the Garden is the best place to play, and right now the only game that’s going to be played next year at Carnesecca is Connecticut. Every other game we’re going to negotiate,” he said Saturday after a tight win over Hofstra at UBS Arena.

Asked if he was serious about that, Pitino responded, “One hundred percent. We’re playing them at Carnesecca. It’s definitely not a joke. I have my reasons.”

One of those reasons, it is believed, was to tweak Hurley.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/30/sport...-johns-uconn-at-carnesecca-arena-next-season/

St. John’s and Pitino felt Hurley’s sideline behavior in the UConn win was inappropriate, according to sources.

Another is that Huskies fans have flooded the Garden when they play St. John’s.

Asked about Pitino’s comments Monday, Hurley had a response.

“Listen, when you’ve been ranked in the top-five or whatever we’ve been the whole year, and you’re the defending national champs and you’ve had all the success we’ve had at UConn, everyone’s gunning for us,” Hurley said. “Everyone’s trying to get what we have. We’ve won four national championships since 2000 here at UConn. They haven’t had much success since then, especially when they went from Fran [Fraschilla] to Mike Jarvis and they had those real good teams with Ron Artest.

“They’re trying to do what they need to do to build their program up,” he went on. “But, anyone not named Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky — I’m probably going to miss a couple of [teams] here — they’re all going for where we’re at. We’ve had unbelievable success here in basketball. There are programs who haven’t been to a Final Four, or haven’t been to the NCAA Tournament in 20 years, so there’s obviously a lot of punching up.”

St. John’s associate head coach Steve Masiello, who played for Pitino at Kentucky and coached under him at Louisville, tweeted in response: “I think Coach Pitino stopped punching up after his 5th Final 4, or was it his 6th ? no wait. I think it was after his 7th!”

Ironically, where St. John’s home game against Connecticut will be played next season may not be solely its decision in the end. There is a Big East policy that states that if a school plays more than two home games at a public venue, the commissioner has the power to mandate that the two highest-profile games be played at that location.

“The host school may not move a contest for competitive reasons,” the policy states.

Another factor is that St. John’s is in a partnership with the Garden, and MSG no doubt would want the Connecticut game to be played there.

The last time St. John’s played UConn at Carnesecca Arena was 1990.

For now, that’s a next year question, if Pitino is in fact serious about playing the game in Queens and whether the league and/or the Garden will step in.

What is certain, though, is that there is spice to this rivalry.

Feb. 3, when Connecticut visits the Garden to play the Johnnies, should be an electric afternoon.

Getting the Back page for a year away schedule --give Pitino credit for keeping in the spotlight

Reactions: Section112
Since Hurley has been back in the Big East I have been hearing through my media contacts that he has indeed POd a lot of people in the conference with his sideline antics.

Pitino is far from the only one with said compaint.

Since Hurley has been back in the Big East I have been hearing through my media contacts that he has indeed POd a lot of people in the conference with his sideline antics.

At least he's not covering players on defense like Shaka.

You can PO anyone you want to when you have a Natty in your back pocket! If we won the Natty our coach could piss off the Pope for all I care!

• Haha
Reactions: CL82
So, it sounds like Pitino's decision to play UConn at Carnesecca will be a brief one, with the Big East tabling that discussion. If they do indeed move it to MSG, they should make it a double-header so there can be an appetizer before the main course.

• Haha
Or was it just Pitino doing Pitino things? He says he wants to move the game because he doesn't like Hurleys antics and doesn't like the fact that Connecticut fans overwhelmed St. John's fans at MSG. That does two things. First, hopefully it gets St. John's fans to actually show up at MSG, which would be good for St. John's competitively but also good for the school financially. Secondly, he's pretty much poking the hornets nest of Connecticut fans and he knows that we will show up in force at MSG, which, again, is good for the school financially.

I view it as Slick Rick being Slick Rick. A savvy marketing move by a guy who knows how to manipulate people.

Reactions: MBF72 and dehere23
This whole thing is right out of the "old" BE playbook. Great coaches, with huge personalities, who were as competitive as hell with each other and constantly tweaking the other even though there was plenty of mutual like and respect.
1 aholes and PJ lol

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If Danny wasn’t a Seton Hall guy, I’d hate him.

If anyone recalls, his Father was also a borderline bully to many opposing coaches in HS.

If Danny wasn’t a Seton Hall guy, I’d hate him.

If anyone recalls, his Father was also a borderline bully to many opposing coaches in HS.
His father is also a saint who literally helped hundreds to maybe thousands of kids from tough backgrounds. In the world of seedy advisors and AAU “coaches”, give me Bob Hurley Sr everyday and twice on Tuesday.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT