ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Fernando

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Fernando Valenzuela has died. What a career. I think he threw five shutouts in his first five games. Cy Young and ROY his first season. 2 time WS winner. The killer screwball and the look to the skies before the release. Fernando Mania!!!

I saw one of those shutouts at Shea. As I remember, the Mets had bases loaded and a few on in the early innings but didnt score. I was in Mexicon on vacation, walking past an old bar in Puerto Vallarta with my girl when a roar went up. I peaked in to see what happened, and saw Fernando on the TV. 55 young Mexican guys, my girl and I watched the Dodgers that night. Cervezas for everyone!!

RIP

Wow RIP. I noticed he was in a recent commercial very thin didn’t realize at first it was him.

He stopped announcing when the playoffs started due to what was assumed was an illness. His family was very secretive about his condition.

I never heard this before. When OMalley bought the Chavez Ravine property where Dodger Stadium is located, he evicted some Mexican families who lived there and till Fernando, the Dodgers didnt have much love from the Hispanic community (at least according to one acct I read today).

Timing of his passing is so strange with the pending series with the Bombers and the Dodgers.

Brings back memories. Can't believe it's been 43 years! My dear uncle was kind enough to take my cousin and I to game 3 of the 81 World Series where the 2 ROY phenoms, Fernando and Righetti met for a dream match up. Too bad the dream didn't end the way we wanted it but was an amazing experience.

Fernando Valenzuela has died. What a career. I think he threw five shutouts in his first five games. Cy Young and ROY his first season. 2 time WS winner. The killer screwball and the look to the skies before the release. Fernando Mania!!!

I saw one of those shutouts at Shea. As I remember, the Mets had bases loaded and a few on in the early innings but didnt score. I was in Mexicon on vacation, walking past an old bar in Puerto Vallarta with my girl when a roar went up. I peaked in to see what happened, and saw Fernando on the TV. 55 young Mexican guys, my girl and I watched the Dodgers that night. Cervezas for everyone!!

RIP
Started his rookie year with 8 consecutive Complete Games allowing just 2 runs in his first 63 innings! Unbelievable!

Reactions: Piratz
He stopped announcing when the playoffs started due to what was assumed was an illness. His family was very secretive about his condition.

I never heard this before. When OMalley bought the Chavez Ravine property where Dodger Stadium is located, he evicted some Mexican families who lived there and till Fernando, the Dodgers didnt have much love from the Hispanic community (at least according to one acct I read today).
The history of Chavez Ravine is very interesting. It was a very large Mexican community over a long period time until the Dodgers came to town.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT