ADVERTISEMENT

Sebastian Telfair busted with car full of guns

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Ex-basketball phenom busted with car filled with loaded guns

By Joe Marino and Chris Perez
June 11, 2017 | 8:21pm

Former Big Apple basketball sensation Sebastian Telfair was busted early Sunday in Brooklyn with a bulletproof vest and a small arsenal inside his truck, police sources said.

The 32-year-old had been with another man, identified as Jami Thomas, 18, when cops pulled him over in Bed-Stuy around 2:50 a.m. and uncovered the weapons cache during a routine traffic stop, according to authorities.

All in all, officers found three loaded pistols, a gas-operated submachine gun, extended magazines, ammunition and the ballistic vest.

The pair had been driving in a Ford F-150 pickup truck without the headlights on, prompting officers to stop them, sources said.

They had been parked illegally on a median on Atlantic Avenue near Classon Street just before the incident, and drawn the officers’ attention.

After being pulled over, cops smelled marijuana and eventually spotted a burning joint inside the truck. They then asked Telfair and Thomas to step out of the vehicle and placed them under arrest.

Upon searching the truck, sources said officers discovered two bags of pot and the pair’s gun collection — which included a SIG MPX Pistol, a Ruger LC9s, and a Springfield Armory MOD XD9 and 2 pistols.

image1.png

The weapon is described by Personal Defense World magazine as an “AR-style pistol in 9mm.”

Telfair, who was driving, was later charged with unlawful possession of a ballistic vest, unlawful possession of ammunition magazine, possession of a controlled substance, aggravated unlicensed operator of a motor vehicle and a motor vehicle equipment violation.

Thomas was also slapped with controlled substance and gun possession-related charges, as well.

The two men were arraigned in Brooklyn Criminal Court on Sunday night and held on bond.

Their lawyers claimed that Telfair was Thomas’ uncle, and that he had legally purchased the weapons in Florida, where he is a resident.

The former basketball star’s attorney, Edward Hayes, described him as a “perfect citizen” with “no participation in criminal activities.”

Telfair faces up to 15 years in prison, if convicted.

Wearing black high-tops, a gray hoodie and gray sweats, he made eye contact with his wife and two children as they sat in the back of the courtroom with the rest of his family.

The Brooklyn native was one of the most sought-after players in the country during his days at Lincoln High School. Choosing to skip out on college, he made a direct jump to the NBA in 2004 and was selected 13th overall by the Portland Trail Blazers.

Telfair eventually fizzled out, though — playing for eight different teams during his 12-year career and recently making the leap to China.

A basketball coach from Brooklyn, who recently spoke with the former star, told The Post he was planning on taking a year off from the sport before eventually heading to Europe to play.

Sunday’s incident isn’t the first time the standout point guard has gotten in trouble with the law.

In 2007, he and a friend were arrested on a gun charge following another routine traffic stop.

Telfair had been speeding on the Bronx River Parkway and driving with a suspended license. Officers later found a .45 caliber handgun under the passenger seat.

Telfair pleaded guilty a year later to criminal possession of a weapon and was sentenced to three years of probation.

Additional reporting by Larry Celona

that is sad to read/hear. Prime example of the dangers of a player going from HS to NBA; nothing to fall back on once it's over. I know he was in the league for a while, but never lived up to the hype.

A random tweet from Slam Magazine came across my timeline the other day wishing him a Happy Birthday and I remember wondering what he was doing these days. Unfortunately, now I know. Seems like yesterday he was gracing the cover of SI as a high school kid.

telfair.jpg

That stupidly was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. Who knows what he had planed with that arsenal in his car.
most times these guys just want to feel cool riding around with a ton of guns, but this seems like something may have been about to go down

It doesn't matter if he bought the guns in Florida where he lives . He transported the guns across state lines to get them to NY and NY law would apply as well as any applicable federal statutes because bringing them to NY from Florida involved interstate activity which brings in federal statutes.

Doesn't every "perfect citizen" ride around with a bulletproof vest & extended magazines? At least they complied with the police & things didn't escalate.

Reactions: theaterman
that is sad to read/hear. Prime example of the dangers of a player going from HS to NBA; nothing to fall back on once it's over. I know he was in the league for a while, but never lived up to the hype.
He never had a jump shot and was smallish remember when bilas went after him and to think j nelson dropped due in part to telfair

The kid is only 32 and made over $19M playing in the NBA, plus that $15M adidas contract. Assuming he didnt blow it all (which is very possible) and invested in conservatively telfair's grandkids wouldn't have to work a day in their life. Bottom line is a college education is pointless for him. So what - maybe now he can get a job paying 100k/year? The guy has made more money then u need in a life time.

Bottom line is a college education is pointless for him. So what - maybe now he can get a job paying 100k/year? The guy has made more money then u need in a life time.

Under no circumstance is a college education pointless. If a college education was pointless just because you had money, there would be no need for children of billionaires to go to college. I'm sure you can find a lot of people who made more money than you need you in a life time who are broke. And some might not be broke if they were educated on how to handle their money.

Reactions: shu09
The kid is only 32 and made over $19M playing in the NBA, plus that $15M adidas contract. Assuming he didnt blow it all (which is very possible) and invested in conservatively telfair's grandkids wouldn't have to work a day in their life. Bottom line is a college education is pointless for him. So what - maybe now he can get a job paying 100k/year? The guy has made more money then u need in a life time.
And if he spent that money???

A random tweet from Slam Magazine came across my timeline the other day wishing him a Happy Birthday and I remember wondering what he was doing these days. Unfortunately, now I know. Seems like yesterday he was gracing the cover of SI as a high school kid.

telfair.jpg

I'll see your magazine cover and raise you

issue-62-lebron-telfair.jpg

Reactions: Shuathelete
Can we combine this with the thread on sports superstars who have fallen? Not in the first team Tiger/OJ range, but Telfair should get second team or honorable mention..

What's the primary purpose of college? To help you obtain a job in your field of choice. If your field of choice is X, in this situation playing professional basketball, and you can achieve that goal without getting a college degree then a college degree serves very little purpose in my opinion.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
What's the primary purpose of college? To help you obtain a job in your field of choice. If your field of choice is X, in this situation playing professional basketball, and you can achieve that goal without getting a college degree then a college degree serves very little purpose in my opinion.
The primary purpose of college is to educate.

The purpose of college is to further your education, opening doors to the world. From there, it's up to you to make of it what you will.

Yes, educate you in a field so that you can develop a career in that field. We are clearly on complete opposite sides of the fence with this subject - no point to continue to go down this road.

Yes, educate you in a field so that you can develop a career in that field. We are clearly on complete opposite sides of the fence with this subject - no point to continue to go down this road.
That's kind of a narrow view. My undergrad degree was in chemistry. I couldn't balance a basic chemical equation if you asked me right now. Colleges meant to give you options. Hopefully multiple options.

Reactions: Joe_T and shu09
Having a quality education from even the most prestigious colleges,having a graduate degree , being a doctor, an attorney , a corporate executive is no guarantee that that person will not engage in criminal activity and we read or hear about it every day. It all comes down to each individual's values and moral compass and not what their educational lineage is .

Last edited:
That's kind of a narrow view. My undergrad degree was in chemistry. I couldn't balance a basic chemical equation if you asked me right now. Colleges meant to give you options. Hopefully multiple options.

This. I'm also doing nothing related to my major.

dude chill with the caps. calm down.

so you dont have an answer for the side of the argument that says the genius that got pulled over with his lights off and an entire arsenal of guns in his trunk (and weed) just MAY have forgone investing his money wisely and possibly spent most if it?

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject. If you read my post the first thing I said was assuming he didn't blow the 40M college would be pointless.

Having a quality education from even the most prestigious colleges,having a graduate degree , being a doctor, an attorney , a corporate executive is no guarantee that that person will not engage in criminal activity and we read or hear about it every day. It all comes down to each individual's values and moral compass and not what their educational lineage is .

And one doesn't learn values and develop their moral compass in college? Why does everyone on this board praise Seton Hall's influence in their lives? Because they became employed? I can't believe some of the things l've read in this thread. I guess the future belongs to Independence U and the University of Phoenix.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
This whole argument is stupid. A college degree CAN help in future career. It all comes down to how you apply yourself. Do you need a college degree to be successful? Absolutely not. Someone can easily make six figures selling cars if they work hard enough. A degree guarantees nothing. Telfair is just a moron if he spent his money.

I mean, its ridiculous how expensive a degree is when some countries in europe will pay you to go to school. maybe im wrong but i didnt start becoming an adult till after college. and if i didnt need a degree "just to say i had one" i would have been better off starting my job out of highschool. i learned absolutely nothing related to it in seton hall (they actually dont even offer a class on it which is pretty bad), and i learned it all on the job. i could have had 4 more years experience under my belt. the only problem is in america you have to have it to be considered.

did i actually need 4 years of college to get where i am? no. i just need something to fill in under the academics field on linkedin. I definitely regret not trying to learn more, but i did what the typical college student did and had fun. But again, its not like i could have even learned anything remotely useful at shu for my current job.

What a stupid thing to say

I mean, its ridiculous how expensive a degree is when some countries in europe will pay you to go to school. maybe im wrong but i didnt start becoming an adult till after college. and if i didnt need a degree "just to say i had one" i would have been better off starting my job out of highschool. i learned absolutely nothing related to it in seton hall (they actually dont even offer a class on it which is pretty bad), and i learned it all on the job. i could have had 4 more years experience under my belt. the only problem is in america you have to have it to be considered.

did i actually need 4 years of college to get where i am? no. i just need something to fill in under the academics field on linkedin. I definitely regret not trying to learn more, but i did what the typical college student did and had fun. But again, its not like i could have even learned anything remotely useful at shu for my current job.

Hopefully, you learned how to think...........

I've always maintained the same. "It gives you options." Though you need to go the full term and get that sheepskin.

I would also add socialization. Moreso if you live at the school, You get time to grow up among your peers, learn where you fit in this world. You can get that in a few semesters.

A third benefit, still unrelated to academics or learning to think, is that you'll never carry any nagging suspicions that you're somehow inferior, as I've witnessed in intelligent friends without college experience, We all know not to judge a person's worth by whether they've been to college, because we've been there and it's no big deal.

I've always maintained the same. "It gives you options." Though you need to go the full term and get that sheepskin.

I would also add socialization. Moreso if you live at the school, You get time to grow up among your peers, learn where you fit in this world. You can get that in a few semesters.

A third benefit, still unrelated to academics or learning to think, is that you'll never carry any nagging suspicions that you're somehow inferior, as I've witnessed in intelligent friends without college experience, We all know not to judge a person's worth by whether they've been to college, because we've been there and it's no big deal.
Joe, that's a great point. The advice we gave our kids was to choose a school that had the major they wanted to pursue a career but equally as important an environment where they can grow from being a teenager to an adult. And fortunately they did just that, from urban (NYC) to small suburban. Socialization, networking, learning to live more independently, self-discipline.... all important skills. Or you can fill the back of your Escalade with assault rifles.

Reactions: Joe_T
This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject. If you read my post the first thing I said was assuming he didn't blow the 40M college would be pointless.
By attending (and absorbing) college, he would have had access to an education that would have given him a historical perspective, the ability to think more critically, empathy, an understanding of ethics, a deeper understanding of philosophy and how it frames real life issues, and a broader understanding of so many things that would've helped him know what to do with $40 million, including the realization that it wouldn't solve all his problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT