ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Athletics Moving Forward

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
This may be a fantastic time for an evaluation and reset for Seton Hall Athletics. As we wait for our new Men's Basketball Coach to be put in place it will be vital to have a clear vision for SHU Athletics moving forward. This is the time to be on top of all aspects of athletics. SHU Basketball has established a more than respectable brand and is a great funding resource to The University. We the alumni have to do better with our donations as a whole.

Coach Willard and the prior staff did an excellent job in several areas of building back the program. One for sure was scheduling in the OOC and playing power conference schools. Bringing some top teams into Prudential or games at MSG helped to facilitate qualifying for The NCAA Tournament. As far as games played at Prudential this year's attendance should be scrutinized by the Athletic Department. There was definitely a falloff for a multitude of reasons debated here quite frequently. Hopefully, the new coach will install a more exciting brand of basketball although we really can't say the games were boring. In addition, the vibe around Newark needs to improve to some degree. It's about time there is a dedicated SHU merchandise store in that place if the room exists. The pandemic was an issue without question and the expense of going to games were real issues and not excuses as you often hear. It may be a temporary situation, but they need to make sure patterns aren't developing. We do know that winning games cures a lot of problems. With SHU grads and fans moving further and further away from the area attendance might be a challenge moving forward.

Finally, "ALL" the sports teams must start improving. The records are not acceptable in any way. Obviously, money and resources are limited. If programs have to be eliminated, then that should be considered. There is a limited amount of space on that campus. It's great that a practice facility is on the way. I believe the school should take one last look at a reconfigure using the soccer/baseball field as a place to build on. is there a way to use that space more wisely? Can they move the soccer field to Ivy hill Park and baseball off campus? These may not be reasonable options after the University invested to fix the current venue, but they are options. Right now, there is Basketball and everything else. It's a tough situation. The truth is the average SHU Basketball fan can live with last places finishes in every sport as long as basketball stays relevant. There is a window here to change things or stay with the current formula. Use the time wisely as they say. This is a very important time for The University.

Reactions: halltheway
Finally, "ALL" the sports teams must start improving. The records are not acceptable in any way. Obviously, money and resources are limited. If programs have to be eliminated, then that should be considered.
LOL, Seton Hall fields the bare minimum number of programs for acceptance as a Div 1 school. Eliminate any programs and we lose that. What pray tell do you do with mens basketball then???

LOL, Seton Hall fields the bare minimum number of programs for acceptance as a Div 1 school. Eliminate any programs and we lose that. What pray tell do you do with mens basketball then???
Good point. My bad there. Hope the other parts can be evaluated.

baseball 1-16. in fairness a killer schedule
Except they aren't even competitive in those losses. Six are by 10+ runs.

The 2013 team that could have made the tournament started 0-9 against the same level but 5 of those losses were 1-run games

Yeah, but on Wednesday beware NJIT!
Lol, I guess this went towards baseball, but it was meant to take a look at everything moving forward. My points were about maintaining a strong OOC schedule, Prudential attendance, and how most of the SHU sports teams are not doing too well or at least consistently well in the New BigEast. As SPK pointed out we can't eliminate any teams to help the topline. We also must promote out teams in a different fashion. I believe there is no longer a way to watch our sports teams on a free stream? My personal feeling is that its better to have a more engaged SHU sports fan. As long as they support basketball though that's the bottom line.

Money. Money. Money. Athletics department needs money. I trust Lyons will oversee much of how it’s spent so I assume it would be wisely spent but we need money. Alumni giving can’t continue to be in the bottom 3 of the conference and expect great things from the athletic department. It’s just not fair.

baseball 1-16. ouch
SHU recently had a funded program get beat by two NON-funded teams. SHU athletics are in a tough spot and a tough sell. the NBE really on helps BBall and neutral or a hindrance to other sports and (people don't want to hear this) we are tough tough sell.

SHU recently had a funded program get beat by two NON-funded teams. SHU athletics are in a tough spot and a tough sell. the NBE really on helps BBall and neutral or a hindrance to other sports and (people don't want to hear this) we are tough tough sell.
Which team are you talking about?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

One uncertainty that can impact the state of SH’s financial resources available to support our athletic programs is what revenues can the BE expect from its tv partners going forward . The cost of running an athletic program is growing especially in head and assistant coaches salaries , travel costs ,insurance and related expenses. I don’t know when the package from Fox expires but I would hope that , if renewed , the per school share shows a substantial increase, if the deal with Fox is not renewed then tv revenues become even more uncertain.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
Damn, we spent a fortune renovating the baseball/soccer facility and their combined record to date is

7-25-3

Reactions: SHUSA
Damn, we spent a fortune renovating the baseball/soccer facility and their combined record to date is

7-25-3
In fairness Tony and the staff are keeping their seasons' competitive and are at least circling the wagons of success in basketball. I mean NCAA success and qualifying for bids. Not too far away. Softball looks to be off to a decent start. Time will tell there.

baseball 1-16. in fairness a killer schedule
Schedule is great but we have to use it to our advantage. Getting our asses kicked takes away from something that should get fans excited for the team. We now have a beautiful stadium which will be empty if losing like that continues. Keep the strong schedule but lose the attitude that losing is acceptable. Raise the standard.

7-25-3
Coaching change needed? Shep legend should not be a stranglehold on SHU as Ewing is on GT.

Very true 2017 and 2018. Now, only 5 big east teams compete and SHU is only 1 of 2 fully funded men’s programs so take that into account. But you’re right makes it worse
Were only 5 men's teams and 6 women's teams in 2017 and 2018 as well.

Were only 5 men's teams and 6 women's teams in 2017 and 2018 as well.
Yea I meant now as a bad grammar sentence starter. Not now meaning it just happened. Bad writing on my part. I knew the NBE swim teams were same in 2017-2018

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT