ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Men’s Basketball Media Day

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Seton Hall Men’s Basketball Media Day Set For Oct. 29

WHO: The 2015-16 Seton Hall men’s basketball team will be available to the media. To open the event, head coach Kevin Willard will take questions in a press conference format for 15 minutes. Then student-athletes will be available for one-on-ones for 30 minutes. At the conclusion of interviews, media are invited to watch the first 30 minutes of practice.

WHEN: Thursday, October 29, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.

WHERE: Walsh Gymnasium on the campus of Seton Hall University (400 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079)

I'll have my info on the Trove.

Here's some stuff I have found so far.

Jerry Carino ‏@NJHoopsHaven 3h3 hours ago

Seton Hall media day just ended. Kevin Willard said he will play the three guards together "as much as possible.

Derrick Gordon took questions from a big crowd for 15 mins. Was patient but clearly would rather talk hoops than sexuality. Understandable.

Willard said the law school grind has been brutal on Braeden Anderson. To the team's credit, they're working around his academic commitments

Whenever I ask one of these guys about Veer Singh, their face lights up. The freshman wing is going to be a factor, no question.

Willard said he's looking at a 9-man rotation. My guess: Whitehead, Carrington, Rodriguez, Anderson, Delgado, Gordon, Singh, Nzei, Sanogo.

Men’s basketball to cease Twitter use this year

(BTW, Willard was asked about this today and laughed it off. He said it ain't happening. He thinks his players like most young men their age are addicted).

BEMDisaiah-1024x683.jpg

© Joey Khan Photography

College basketball coaches have always had to worry about their players on the court and in the classroom.

Now, they have to watch the players online, too.

Last season, the Seton Hall men’s basketball team fell from the top of the mountain. The Pirates began the season 13-3 and earned a No. 19 national ranking before spiraling out and winning just three of their final 15 games.

As the team’s on-court production declined, online activity rose.

Star guard Isaiah Whitehead deleted and reactivated his Twitter page. Coach Kevin Willard used the Mark Cuban-funded Xpire app to delete all of his posts. Media access was cut off as rumors of locker room tension and social media bans swirled. A source close to last year’s team confirmed the ban.

Speaking at Big East media day on Wednesday, Oct. 14, Whitehead said he was going to go without social media during the season, which begins with a scrimmage Oct. 31. He credited the idea to Los Angeles Clippers guard Lance Stephenson, who, like the Seton Hall sophomore, attended Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., five years before Whitehead.

“It’s just a distraction,” White- head said. “[Stephenson] said ‘There’s no reason for you to be distracted with social media during the season, because your mind should be focused on the season.’”

Whitehead said he and his teammates have agreed to drop social media as a group.

“I’m in favor of everyone getting off Twitter,” Willard said. “I’m probably going to get off it pretty soon. It’s nice to have the information flow, but it is a distraction at times. You can really get overwhelmed with trying to find out what’s going on here.”

While Willard jokingly called Whitehead “the king of Twitter,” women’s head coach Tony Bozzella also makes a strong claim for the crown.

Bozzella has nearly 10,000 tweets and 22,000 favorites online. He follows 1,072 Twitter users and has 2,510 following him. He actively interacts with members of Seton Hall student media in addition to interests outside South Orange. Bozzella bleeds blue and orange, so the Mets’ playoff run has been a heavy subject of his recent activity.

Despite his affinity for the platform, he recognizes the pitfalls for his players, who he and his staff do monitor.

“Our players being on it is very tricky,” he said at media day. “Twit- ter is where you can get in a little bit of trouble. I think sometimes the girls will say things like ‘We kicked blank last night.’ But I understand their excitement, their enthusiasm.”

Online activity is a slippery slope, for sure—one coaches and players handle in their own ways.

Khadeen Carrington, a guard like Whitehead, ceased use of his accounts at one point, but reactivated his pages over the summer. He and Whitehead frequently interact with one another.

“I got it back because I was bored,” he said.

Carrington also found it “kind of weird” that all his posts meet the eyes of coaches and school officials. “I guess that’s what you sign up for,” he said.

In retrospect, most coaches did not sign up for this part of the job. However, in a technology-driven world, tweeting and teaching are now one in the same.

Tom Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @TJDHoops.

http://www.thesetonian.com/2015/10/22/mens-basketball-to-cease-twitter-use-this-year/

WSOU Sports ‏@WSOUSports 3h3 hours ago

@Clayton_Collier and @Flannery15 speaking with Desi Rodriguez at Seton Hall Media Day! Tune inyo 89.5 fm right now!

CSgWHDHWEAA6OFB.jpg

@Clayton_Collier and @Flannery15 speaking with Angele Delgado at Seton Hall mefia day! Tune into 89.5 right now!

CSgV5h1WwAALa9t.jpg

@Clayton_Collier and @Flannery15 speaking with Isaiah Whitehead at Big East Media Day! Tune in to 89.5 fm right now!

CSgYB8yWEAAx-KQ.jpg

@Clayton_Collier and @Flannery15 speaking with Myles Carter on 89.5 fm WSOU right now!

CSgZ0YUWEAAD5IT.jpg

@Clayton_Collier and @Flannery15 speaking with Gary Cohen at Seton Hall Media Day! Tune in to 89.5 fm right now!

CSgbF9kWIAEm0gN.jpg

Clayton Collier ‏@Clayton_Collier 3h3 hours ago

.@SetonHallMBB open practice following Media Day. Plenty of dunks early on. @WSOUSports #HALLin

CSghmKjWIAAieFC.jpg

I often wake up at 5:30am to meditate 1/2 hour before I go to my office for the day. I find that on days I do that, I'm razor sharp all day , I'm twice as productive , and I find I rarely check out facebook or message boards.
If the players picture in their head what they want to accomplish and then meditate, or do things like yoga or relaxation exercises, I guarantee will find it easy to stay off Twitter.

Last edited:
That will make either Anthony, Carter or Soffer feel good, but two will not be happy campers. Thomas must be happy he can't play this year.
Not at all. Thomas would be playing quality minutes this season as Willard loves to play 3 guards when possible.

I'll have my info on the Trove.

Here's some stuff I have found so far.

Seton Hall media day just ended. Kevin Willard said he will play the three guards together "as much as possible.

Playing the three guards together as much as possible is a scary thought. Why would he do this? He only has 3 guards ( cant see Soffer playing much this year) so there is no depth. Why go small when that was an issue last year when we had Gibbs. Why play 3 guards when Gordon cannot hit an outside shot which limits you offensively. Why play another guard which means you cut away playing time from Desi and/or Singh. This makes absolutely no sense.

Playing the three guards together as much as possible is a scary thought. Why would he do this? He only has 3 guards ( cant see Soffer playing much this year) so there is no depth. Why go small when that was an issue last year when we had Gibbs. Why play 3 guards when Gordon cannot hit an outside shot which limits you offensively. Why play another guard which means you cut away playing time from Desi and/or Singh. This makes absolutely no sense.

Personally, I try not to over analyze what a coach says. That goes double for KW. However, I agree this three guard idea is highly risky for all the reasons you mention, plus the fact that you now wind up with either Desi at PF(which we know he hates) or Singh, who at a minimum should not be banging down low when his biggest strength is outside shooting. So I will not speculate on why he said it, but I find it hard to believe we will play many meaningful Big East minutes with a true three guard alignment. I guess we will get a peek at what it looks like tomorrow. Trick or treat!

Coach Willard has thrown out smoke screens before in his preseason comments (like last year when he said Ish will play about 10 mins a game at the 4). Noone will know until we are 10 games into the season what really transpires.

Coach Willard has thrown out smoke screens before in his preseason comments (like last year when he said Ish will play about 10 mins a game at the 4). Noone will know until we are 10 games into the season what really transpires.
No one including KW! Sad.

Why Willard has this love affair with playing three guards continues to escape me especially when you look at the on court results and what our conference record has been.

Have to admit that first pitch of the game homer by Escobar, especially after the announcers said watch the Royals they're swinging at the first pitch, was a dramatic start to a ball game.
Speaking of errors, how about Hosmer's Buckner like miss that gave the Mets the lead and making him the potential goat and then he gets the game winning hit making him the hero, Classic!

Why Willard has this love affair with playing three guards continues to escape me especially when you look at the on court results and what our conference record has been.

Nova went to the final four with a FOUR guard line up with Dante Cunningham as the lone big man. They obviously had a lot of talent on that team but don't discount the 3 guard lineup.

Nova went to the final four with a FOUR guard line up with Dante Cunningham as the lone big man. They obviously had a lot of talent on that team but don't discount the 3 guard lineup.
I'm not writing off a three guard line-up that has worked for teams in the past . I'm pointing out it hasn't worked under Willard. Look at last year's team with 4 guards in KC, IW, Sina and Gibbs and how did that work out playing a three guard rotation.

As much as possible doesn't have to mean often. I'm sure he'll pick his spots. He knows that his options in the backcourt are limited so he'll substitute accordingly.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I would not be surprised to see Whitehead, Carrington, Gordon, Desi and Delgado down the stretch in a tight game. To me that is probably the best 5. We don't know enough about Singh yet.

I would not be surprised to see Whitehead, Carrington, Gordon, Desi and Delgado down the stretch in a tight game. To me that is probably the best 5. We don't know enough about Singh yet.
Really depends on the circumstances. The score, foul situation, who is playing well and the opposition have to be taken into consideration in the end game.

Halldan1 did you or anyone else in the media ask any real hard hitting questions to Willard? Like does he feel his job is finally on the line this season?

Did he mention anything about how he plans on handling team chemistry? That has been a recurring problem with his teams.

Well at least we're not to blame:

"I think really what happened was we let a lot of outside forces distract us from what was making us good. Whether it was family, friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teammates. It just wasn't one factor, it was the amount that they got," Willard said. "I've said this before, I don't think I did a very good job, I don't think I was prepared for the amount of distractions that these guys were going to handle or throw out at the time. It wasn't media, it wasn't message boards. It was much closer and internal, from family and friends, teammates, things like that. That's what really lost our focus, whether it was some guys thinking they're going to go to the NBA, some guys think we should have done this."

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.s...ay.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Halldan1 did you or anyone else in the media ask any real hard hitting questions to Willard? Like does he feel his job is finally on the line this season?

Did he mention anything about how he plans on handling team chemistry? That has been a recurring problem with his teams.
JP Pelzman asked him about his future security. Jim Hague asked him about last season's meltdown. Others asked about issues with team chemistry. I asked a few questions as well in his 30 minute Q&A.

Unfortunately for our free board members all the info you seek is already posted on the Trove.

BTW and to his credit Willard didn't duck any questions and often put the blame for last year's issues squarely on his own shoulders.

JP Pelzman asked him about his future security. Jim Hague asked him about last season's meltdown. Others asked about issues with team chemistry. I asked a few questions as well in his 30 minute Q&A.

Unfortunately for our free board members all the info you seek is already posted on the Trove.

BTW and to his credit Willard didn't duck any questions and often put the blame for last year's issues squarely on his own shoulders.
Also, read the comments in the link above about Singh. I have had the opportunity to talk to him twice in the last couple of weeks. An incredibly personable & bright young man. Always with a big smile on his face.

Hard kid not to like. Especially if he does what he did in last Saturday's scrimmage hitting 6 of 8 from the arc.

That said, he's s standstill shooter this early in his career so he will need help from his teammates getting shots off.

Great guy to spread the floor for our guards to penetrate and kick back or attack the rim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT