ADVERTISEMENT

Sha

I always thought it was I, I & I.

Intensity, intensity and Intensity.

When he says Robin is the reason why Seton Hall players graduated "for sure, for sure" he's on point.

Long before grade inflation and colleges learned to play along, it was common for players to be ineligible or to flunk out of school. And players definitely didn't care about going to class or getting a degree. Robin and her team whipped a lot of guys into shape and dragged them across the finish line to graduate.

This is a great listen. Some good anecdotes about Tommy Amaker and Dre Davis.

Smart to no-comment on Richmond to St. John’s. Definitely runs the old school types like Everson and Spera the wrong way for good reason.

Last edited:

Smart to no-comment on Richmond to St. John’s. Definitely runs the old school types like Everson and Spera the wrong way for good reason.
The story about Amaker picking up the wrong player at the airport is awesome and explains some of the issues they had later when he replaced Blaney.

They were against any and all intra conference transfers, irrespective of reasoning. I was curious if they were going to ask him about Wusu or Dual for that reason, but after his answer on Richmond I figured they wouldn't.

GT3BEVuW8AA6FCp

The story about Amaker picking up the wrong player at the airport is awesome and explains some of the issues they had later when he replaced Blaney.
Was not a hands on coach . Made his ass. coaches do all the work. Can't believe he even tried to pick up a player at the airport. He was very aloof.

I was very close to the coaching staff at the time and know a lot of inside stuff that I rather not share.

The Big East Rewind is one of my favorite podcasts. I love when they have SHU players on there. They are so invested and thorough, it is such a good listen no matter who they are interviewing. The Dan Calandrillo episode is a must-listen too.

It was interesting re: Everson's anecdote about Blaney coming off as a hard ass during his recruiting visit with him. I thought that Blaney's rap was that he came off as much less intense as compared to PJ, and that was part of the reason why Danny Hurley had a great senior year, because he was playing not only for a JC guy familiar to him but was totally the opposite of PJ.

Reactions: Piratz
The Big East Rewind is one of my favorite podcasts. I love when they have SHU players on there. They are so invested and thorough, it is such a good listen no matter who they are interviewing. The Dan Calandrillo episode is a must-listen too.

It was interesting re: Everson's anecdote about Blaney coming off as a hard ass during his recruiting visit with him. I thought that Blaney's rap was that he came off as much less intense as compared to PJ, and that was part of the reason why Danny Hurley had a great senior year, because he was playing not only for a JC guy familiar to him but was totally the opposite of PJ.
Blaney definitely wasn’t Carlesimo. Maybe was just time passing as Sha alluded to. 🤷‍♂️

Everson’s career at Villanova ended 10 years before Holloway’s began at Seton Hall.

With Sha as coach, there will never be a doubt as what kind of team he wants, culture, image etc. An old saying is that “culture kills strategy”.

The Amaker stuff was great, but interesting on how the team decided to play in the NIT. Two seniors wanted to because they had no eligibility left; two seniors didn’t. Explains game one performance in NIT.

Did they say two srs didnt want to play in the nit?
That’s how I heard it. Sha told the team to decide and they took a half hour to decide. He thought it would take two minutes…lol

Then he mentioned the seniors.

Reactions: mbraue
Why even mention it.
Because I thought it was funny that he said Amaker picked up a recruit at the airport . Not his makeup ,he probably was a passenger with a ass. coach driving .Amaker was a Dukie elitist and I just can not see him driving to a airport by himself . Sorry I even brought it up. Lets get back on track and talk about the present pirates and coaches .Let's GO PIRATES !!!!!!

Reactions: Turiddu and Piratz
With Sha as coach, there will never be a doubt as what kind of team he wants, culture, image etc. An old saying is that “culture kills strategy”.

The Amaker stuff was great, but interesting on how the team decided to play in the NIT. Two seniors wanted to because they had no eligibility left; two seniors didn’t. Explains game one performance in NIT.
We’re in good hands despite the anarchy the sport exists within. Sha knows what he wants on the court, has the understanding and embraces what he has at The Hall, and his personal focus and energy level to achieve here is off the charts.

Reactions: HALL85
That’s how I heard it. Sha told the team to decide and they took a half hour to decide. He thought it would take two minutes…lol

Then he mentioned the seniors.
You heard it right. Just listened again.

Some of us weren’t “in the know” back then. What’s the harm in a few stories from back in the day to entertain us?

"I thought that Blaney's rap was that he came off as much less intense as compared to PJ, and that was part of the reason why Danny Hurley had a great senior year, because he was playing not only for a JC guy familiar to him but was totally the opposite of PJ."

I recall the SHU digital bulletin board of the day (1994) touting how much the players loved Blaney as his practices were much shorter than P.J.'s. But in three years, the team went significantly downhill.

And a fly in the ointment. I agree that Shaheen is a good coach and we are lucking to have him (same words I used to describe Willard, by the way), but why, then, are we picked to finish ninth? I know.... I know..... small campus, no on site arean, NIL, facilities, but still.........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT