ADVERTISEMENT

Shocked that Willard's on this list?

walshtrips

All American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2006
Willard was the perfect coach for Seton Hall prior to NIL. His strength was keeping and developing under-recruited players, as we didn't have the tools to recruit studs. I don't think Willard has the personality to mesh players who are strangers year in and year out, these are strengths that Sha possesses.

I think Pike will have chemistry issues moving forward and may be on this list next season.

I'm so pleased that we secured Sha when we did, good KARMA!

Kevin Willard, Maryland​

The early returns through two years of the Willard era with the Terrapins haven't been good. After going 22-13 with a second-round tournament exit last March, Maryland went 15-16 this season for the program's first losing finish under a non-interim coach since 1992-93. Willard had two losing records in his first three years at Seton Hall but would coach the Pirates to five tournament appearances, so a bumpy start in the Big Ten doesn't necessarily spell doom for the Terrapins. But at $4 million in compensation, the program should be getting more.

While I agree that Willard’s style isn’t conducive to having strangers year in and year out, what makes you so sure it is a strength Sha possesses? I mean, we’re being led by three players who were on last year’s squad.

Most D1 coaches are overpaid. Pick one and write an article about them and you can probably make a case. Ridiculous how much money they make. But if I was a coach and could get it why not go for it and set up my family for life.

Willard was the perfect coach for Seton Hall prior to NIL. His strength was keeping and developing under-recruited players, as we didn't have the tools to recruit studs. I don't think Willard has the personality to mesh players who are strangers year in and year out, these are strengths that Sha possesses.

I think Pike will have chemistry issues moving forward and may be on this list next season.

Kevin Willard, Maryland​

The early returns through two years of the Willard era with the Terrapins haven't been good. After going 22-13 with a second-round tournament exit last March, Maryland went 15-16 this season for the program's first losing finish under a non-interim coach since 1992-93. Willard had two losing records in his first three years at Seton Hall but would coach the Pirates to five tournament appearances, so a bumpy start in the Big Ten doesn't necessarily spell doom for the Terrapins. But at $4 million in compensation, the program should be getting more.

Easy guy. You’re gonna trigger those sensitive souls who don’t want Willard’s name uttered here.

He did okay by us. But he belongs at a Patriot League school

I think we did well to have him depart when he did, but that's not even a remotely reasonable comment. How many years were we playing on Wednesdays at MSG in March? How many consecutive NCAAs did we sit out? He made the Wednesday bye and NCAA bid an expectation again, for the first time since 1993. But please tell me how he cheated to get Whitehead, how weak the NBE is compared with the OBE for the 100th time.

Cooley. I know people will say the cupboard was bare, but it wasn't overflowing at St. John's either. And in this day of recasting a roster immediately, one would expect the appeal of Georgetown and the hoopla of Cooley to do more than 2-18 in the BE.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
May be it’s just me but I keep hearing about the demanding Maryland fans and every time I turn on a home game the arena is half filled, outside of Purdue last year.

• Love
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Cooley. I know people will say the cupboard was bare, but it wasn't overflowing at St. John's either. And in this day of recasting a roster immediately, one would expect the appeal of Georgetown and the hoopla of Cooley to do more than 2-18 in the BE.
Pitino had a leg up over Cooley. kept the best player on St John’s roster (Soriano) and brought one of his best players from Iona which aids in the transition

Situation would be significantly different if Cooley brought Carter with him. Swing and miss on Hunter Dickinson left him exposed late.

We’re heading into the BET as a 4 seed. On the verge of an ncaa bid. We’re still talking about Willard? The obsession, good and bad, is unreal. He did us well and has moved on. We should too. Enough Willard already
If we were the 3 seed we would’ve stopped the Willard talk. Actions have consequences

Reactions: HallX2
This is a horrible take. Aj Storr 16 ppg at Wisconsin and David Jones 22 pgg (6th in nation) and 8 rpg at Memphis would like a word. Don't forget Posh and Wusu for extra credit!

While I agree that Willard’s style isn’t conducive to having strangers year in and year out, what makes you so sure it is a strength Sha possesses? I mean, we’re being led by three players who were on last year’s squad.
He brought in 2 and they have fit like a glove. And he brought in 2 of the returnees. Of the 7 players who got time four are first year guys. Very few first year coaches start one holdover I bet.

Time will tell. But I am feeling very optimistic abbot Mr. Holloway as our coach.

Especially since those two wins were against depaul….

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
He brought in 2 and they have fit like a glove. And he brought in 2 of the returnees. Of the 7 players who got time four are first year guys. Very few first year coaches start one holdover I bet.

Time will tell. But I am feeling very optimistic abbot Mr. Holloway as our coach.
I hope so, too. I just don’t exactly think it’s been proven yet that this is a strength of his. Like you said, time will tell.

This is a horrible take. Aj Storr 16 ppg at Wisconsin and David Jones 22 pgg (6th in nation) and 8 rpg at Memphis would like a word. Don't forget Posh and Wusu for extra credit!
All those guys couldnt throw a bounch pass.

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz

Kevin Willard, Maryland​

I’m not shocked. This is what happens at a place like Maryland even after a mediocre year, forget a losing season. And they went 2-8 to end the year.

There have been many examples of coaches who think they’re taking a jump with pay and resources and and it doesn’t work.

Willard is a good coach. Maryland is a tough place with the pressure as everyone knew 2 years ago. If it doesn’t work out he’ll end up on his feet somewhere. The grass isn’t always greener. And this week he’s sitting in Minnesota instead of MSG. Woof.

I think we did well to have him depart when he did, but that's not even a remotely reasonable comment. How many years were we playing on Wednesdays at MSG in March? How many consecutive NCAAs did we sit out? He made the Wednesday bye and NCAA bid an expectation again, for the first time since 1993. But please tell me how he cheated to get Whitehead, how weak the NBE is compared with the OBE for the 100th time.

“He did okay by us” garnered the reply above? Maybe you didn’t understand what that phrase means.

There’s the rest of this list, then there’s Kenny Payne. 12-52 in two season, abysmal anywhere but for a supposed “blue blood” that’s beyond yikes.

I pointed this out in another thread. I think Cooley has gotten a major pass here for Georgetown this season, especially when you contrast it with Pitino and SJU. Granted, Cooley ain't Pitino, so the bar is lower. But Cooley is still good and has been praised here for years (and, often, rightfully so). No one knows NIL, etc, but I have no doubt Gtown had as much if not better resources on this than SJU when both took the jobs. Pitino brought back one kid who is a good player (Soriano), but not a star. Otherwise both had complete rebuilds from the ground up. And the seasons were drastically different.

Willard will have pressure on him next season. Will see how he does in the Portal.

While he has a good staff, not easy to immediately have comfort and familiarity with new coaches. Grant was with him forever and Skinn for 4 years. To lose them both at the same time has to have an effect.

Did you forget the sentence you typed after that one?
No. I didn’t. And what did it have to do with your reply that followed about accusations that he cheated etc??? You were way off base with that diatribe.

By the way if you know Willard you’d know he’d be very happy coaching a Holy Cross or a Lehigh. Especially now that he’s cemented his financial future a job where you’re coaching student athletes who don’t get NIl would suit him. And the pay at many of those institutions is high 6 figures. Not to shabby.

Last edited:
Most D1 coaches are overpaid. Pick one and write an article about them and you can probably make a case. Ridiculous how much money they make. But if I was a coach and could get it why not go for it and set up my family for life.
You and Saquon lol. What did you think of that and all the Giants moves?

No. I didn’t. And what did it have to do with your reply that followed about accusations that he cheated etc??? You were way off base with that diatribe.

By the way if you know Willard you’d know he’d be very happy coaching a Holy Cross or a Lehigh. Especially now that he’s cemented his financial future a job where you’re coaching student athletes who don’t get NIl would suit him. And the pay at many of those institutions is high 6 figures. Not to shabby.
I don't know Willard at all, and have no idea if he'd be happy coaching at St. Rose of Belmar, but he got a pretty nice pay raise to coach in the B10. None of it has anything to do with your assertion that he "belongs" in the Patriot League. George Blaney belonged in the Patriot League. Willard had historically good success for SHU in the Big East. Seems like a long back-and-forth to say I don't agree that he "belongs in the Patriot League."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT