ADVERTISEMENT

Significant Big East media news

you gotta exit the app to go see any other channel. sure first world problems but also a massive step back in user experience
Yeah, this is the thing for me. I like to switch around, especially if it's in a window where there is a lot of other games on. What I tend to do is watch the streaming game on my iPad while flipping around the others on my TV, but that still reduces the game that's important to me to a small screen.

Streaming is not the answer for fans, actually results in paying more for content (having to buy many sites) and of course results in the overall loss of content.

But then again cable sucks…lol

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…..

Was happy with cutting the cord last year, but these ever-shifting developments are havoc for figuring which streaming services you want/need to see your particular team play. I don't watch any Yankees games, but the YES deal with Fubo upped my monthly, too. And Fubo had almost all the SHU, Devils, and Mets games. Fortunately there are no contracts now (for the time being).

Apropos of nothing, is there a more true and meaningful song lyric than the one you quoted from "Won't Get Fooled Again." I could use it literally every day, and the song is 60 years old. I'm biased, having seen The Who several times since 1989 (one of their "farewell" tours).

Reactions: The Crows Nest
Some additional insight but no details yet. But $10 million per school as mentioned in the article or something near that solves a lot of problems.
To be honest, I felt as if we needed at least 8 million per school. Anything above that is gravy.

Reactions: mbraue
We should know soon enough what the media package is worth. For SHU get ready for games on Peacock.

Peacock recently had a deal for $19.99 for the year. I didn't pull the trigger on it, but now it's up to like six bucks a month.

Peacock recently had a deal for $19.99 for the year. I didn't pull the trigger on it, but now it's up to like six bucks a month.

They’ll have another for Black Friday/cyber monday. All of these services have promotional discounts, and there will be plenty for Max and Peacock come fall of 25.

great job by the commissioner and the conference to get an increase in rights. I couldn’t care less if they put the games on PBS after masterpiece theatre so long as each of the schools gets a bigger bag.

Reactions: mbraue and CL82
They’ll have another for Black Friday/cyber monday. All of these services have promotional discounts, and there will be plenty for Max and Peacock come fall of 25.

great job by the commissioner and the conference to get an increase in rights. I couldn’t care less if they put the games on PBS after masterpiece theatre so long as each of the schools gets a bigger bag.
Happy to listen to games on radio or attend in person.

Interestingly, the locked on UConn podcast is saying that the new deal is six years and "close to $1 billion." So we may be looking at something 12-15 million per school, depending on how close to 1 billion he's talking about. I have no idea how credible this guy is or isn't. Just throwing this out there.

Interestingly, the locked on UConn podcast is saying that the new deal is six years and "close to $1 billion." So we may be looking at something 12-15 million per school, depending on how close to 1 billion he's talking about. I have no idea how credible this guy is or isn't. Just throwing this out there.
im thinking $9m based on what i've been seeing. hurley was also offered $100m at one point to a lot of people lol

that number would be fantastic

Reactions: CL82
im thinking $9m based on what i've been seeing. hurley was also offered $100m at one point to a lot of people lol

that number would be fantastic

I don't listen to this guy so I have no idea how connected he is. I've always viewed 8 million as the mark we needed to hit. Anything less than that would not be a great deal. Likewise anything more than that is gravy. Triple our existing deal isn't a home run, it's a grand slam and he's claiming it may be more than that. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
I may be just a duck 🦆, but it is getting harder and harder to consistently donate to Seton Hall's NIL when we allow great talents like Sada NgaNga to simply walk away. I am hoping that television revenue increases allows our great university to retain talent rather than lose it to the Mountain West. The Mountain West received more NCAA tournament bids than the Big East last year. We should not be a talent pipeline to the schools with whom we compete. 🦆

I may be just a duck 🦆, but it is getting harder and harder to consistently donate to Seton Hall's NIL when we allow great talents like Sada NgaNga to simply walk away. I am hoping that television revenue increases allows our great university to retain talent rather than lose it to the Mountain West. The Mountain West received more NCAA tournament bids than the Big East last year. We should not be a talent pipeline to the schools with whom we compete. 🦆
Posts like a troll, acts like a troll, it's a troll.

I don't listen to this guy so I have no idea how connected he is. I've always viewed 8 million as the mark we needed to hit. Anything less than that would not be a great deal. Likewise anything more than that is gravy. Triple our existing deal isn't a home run, it's a grand slam and he's claiming it may be more than that. I guess we'll see.
I think it should be $20 million now that college basketball is a pro league. The NIL expenses justify a much bigger payday. A counter argument, I suppose, would be how relatively small the streaming and cable audience is compared to other pro sports.

I think it should be $20 million now that college basketball is a pro league. The NIL expenses justify a much bigger payday. A counter argument, I suppose, would be how relatively small the streaming and cable audience is compared to other pro sports.
I don't know that that was ever a possibility.

Daffy, give it a break.
You call me a troll when I have actually written a poem about Sada:

Seton Hall fans didn’t like you
They yelled “YOU SUCK”
Don’t believe them, Sada
Believe this wise Duck.

From Seton Hall's court did you depart
To San Jose State, where new dreams will start
With your wingspan wide, you seek a new crest
You will paint the canvas of a new hoops conquest.

Oh, Sada, like a duck upon the breeze
You glide from East to West with joyful ease
Where Silicon Valley's sun does warmly beam
You will chase your destiny, your vivid dream.

Duego Duck applauds your leap and your flight
From Pirate seas to the Spartans' shining light
May San Jose's embrace and cheering throng
Echo the journey of your heart's sweet song.

🦆

I don't like that they didn't announce the money. That makes me nervous.

Also, apparently the peacock portion of the deal starts this year in the 2024–2025 season. There was a $19.99 deal for a full year of peacock. Apparently that is good through the end of the month. it was on my TV when I downloaded the app but I didn't pull the trigger on it. Now it's not there, but I think it's still valid. If anyone find a link post it. We might as well do it now and have it for the Olympics as well.

I don't like that they didn't announce the money. That makes me nervous.

Also, apparently the peacock portion of the deal starts this year in the 2024–2025 season. There was a $19.99 deal for a full year of peacock. Apparently that is good through the end of the month. it was on my TV when I downloaded the app but I didn't pull the trigger on it. Now it's not there, but I think it's still valid. If anyone find a link post it. We might as well do it now and have it for the Olympics as well.
Very strange to not announce the money.

Some additional insight but no details yet. But $10 million per school as mentioned in the article or something near that solves a lot of problems.
$10M is $6M more than each university is currently receiving. In all likelihood, the NCAA will allow universities to compensate players for their NIL, adding $6M to the kitty would be fabulous.

The best case scenario would be a NIL team cap around $3M for men's college basketball. This would allow SHU to use the extra $3M of the media revenue increase for other sports, coaching salaries and program upgrades.

Keep in mind that each Big East Team receives annual revenue from the NCAA Tournament, ticket sales and advertising.

Last edited:
Sportico reporting the estimated values is 75-80M annually (6.81-7.27M per school). If that's the result and the games are going to be broadcast on Peacock and Max, it may be time to look for a new commissioner.
If this is true, that's $2.7 million more per school per year than currently getting.

If this is true, that's $2.7 million more per school per year than currently getting.
True, but it's the first raise since 2013, right?

That inescapable fact is that P2 schools are making about 70 million per year+. That's our competition. Now, we're not going be able to compete with that but I would like to have a greater jump between our conference and the mid majors.

Well, it’s not going to help with UCONN’s football aspirations. It is a good bump from where we are now but agree with CL82 in that I was expecting more. How much more or what is reasonable, I have no idea.

Well, it’s not going to help with UCONN’s football aspirations. It is a good bump from where we are now but agree with CL82 in that I was expecting more. How much more or what is reasonable, I have no idea.
Keep in mind that we don't actually know for sure what the number is. All of this is speculation.

For what it's worth, Connecticut gets paid roughly 1 million for the TV rates for six football games a year, which is not a lot of money but when you go three and nine you don't get a lot of money. The governor has said that he is supportive of giving football, and athletics in general, what it needs to be successful. That's the big advantage that we have over the other schools in the big east. In many ways this contract is more important to the rest of the league than to us.

True, but it's the first raise since 2013, right?

That inescapable fact is that P2 schools are making about 70 million per year+. That's our competition. Now, we're not going be able to compete with that but I would like to have a greater jump between our conference and the mid majors.

If the current 12 year deal paid out $41.67M per year, divided by 11 that is 3.78M annually per school, which today would equate to about 5.08M per school in 2024 dollars. Assuming the current rate of inflation, the original annual distribution from 2013 would be worth approximately $5.25M in 2025 dollars. So yes it is $2.7M, but you are looking at additional $1.5M-$1.95M beyond what our current TV deal would be worth today.

For comparison Wichita State as a basketball-only member of the AAC will receive approx. $7M per year from their contract as one of the 8 returning members of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT