ADVERTISEMENT

So are we going to have a college basketball season?

Yes but need some luck.
1. Get virus under control- everyone wear masks to stop spread and get numbers down.
2. Moderna test starts July 27. 30,000 will get test vaccine. Results timing -do not know.
3. Meanwhile, vaccines go into massive production in Sept.without results.
4. My guess- vaccines admin before Xmas.
5.Season could start cautiously on Jan 1. Limited number of spectators.
6. Prob best we can hope for.

Yes.
- The uptick in new cases will peak this month and improve in August.
- As Pirate64 pointed out, Moderna has gotten great results from phase 2 trial. Vaccine was tested on 45 people and all 45 developed antibody that protects against the virus. Phase 3 should be completed by September and vaccines available before Christmas.
- I think season will start on time with no fans, fans return by January.
- GO PIRATES!!!

Hearing there’s a decent chance Sandro is gone, and given all of the uncertainty, no one could blame him. Would be a blow to the team for sure, but free up plenty of minutes and opportunities for other guys. Time will tell.

No real reason for him to return considering the uncertainty. Even if he doesn't get drafted, mght as well go make some decent $ in Europe.

Yeah, I agree with a lot that was said but for Sandro situation I would think there may be much more uncertainty going the euro pros route than to stay for last year in college. If no or limited college hoops there may not be much of a euro pro season either in 2020

He will have room and board, college degree at the very least if he stays. Euro Pro league had issues with not paying players on time or at all before covid19. Those second tier pro leagues will have issues with no fans or limited fans themselves with payroll.

I don’t think he gets drafted in 2020 so there shouldn’t be too many shady NBA agents giving 2nd round guarantees.

I think he stays and sees how it plays out.

College basketball in Jan, conference games only, no fans.

Yes but need some luck.
1. Get virus under control- everyone wear masks to stop spread and get numbers down.
2. Moderna test starts July 27. 30,000 will get test vaccine. Results timing -do not know.
The uptick in new cases is due to more testing. Mortality rate keeps going down. It's now estimated by CDC at 0.26%. Hardly something we should be canceling a SECOND season over.

And there might be some funky stuff to add to that but it hasn't been decided upon yet.

No fans would suck for those of us who like to go to games. I also dislike the underlying message of that. But from a results perspective frankly I think it might help us much more than other conference foes.

Reactions: HallLine69
No fans would suck for those of us who like to go to games. I also dislike the underlying message of that. But from a results perspective frankly I think it might help us much more than other conference foes.
Actually if it happens, and it might, the fans are going to love it IMO.

The uptick in new cases is due to more testing. Mortality rate keeps going down. It's now estimated by CDC at 0.26%. Hardly something we should be canceling a SECOND season over.

While more testing leads to more positives (duh), the percentage of positive results is going up which is the concern.

In Arizona it's been around 25%. It was at 10% a month ago. Conversely NY and NJ have been under 10% for close to two months and are sitting at about 1% positive.

The national average is around 8%, a month ago it was 2.5%.

Reactions: metalpirate07
Yes but need some luck.

Keep in mind Moderna has never successfully commercialied anything. I don't think there will be a vaccine this year.

Reactions: Hallsome
While more testing leads to more positives (duh), the percentage of positive results is going up which is the concern.

In Arizona it's been around 25%. It was at 10% a month ago. Conversely NY and NJ have been under 10% for close to two months and are sitting at about 1% positive.

Imagine all the people that have it and don’t know about it because they haven’t been tested. I just had to have an endoscopy done and had to get tested prior to the procedure. If it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t have known whether I am positive or negative.

If we only have games starting in January I absolutely love the idea and would be in full support of it. But right now it's only an option.

If it doesn't come to pass I will eventually post the details on the Trove.

Sorry to hear that, glad everyone now knows that you have a problem personally with me, it didn't used to be that way when you use to email me.

Oh and I couldn't care less.
Whoa, I was merely kidding. And I frankly don't ever recall emailing you. Not looking for a feud here.

Whoa, I was merely kidding. And I frankly don't ever recall emailing you. Not looking for a feud here.

Me neither but we did use to email at my Yahoo address, that's how I know your first name begins with a P.

Keep in mind Moderna has never successfully commercialied anything. I don't think there will be a vaccine this year.
There are some limitations in Moderna’s approach. I would put more hope in Oxford/Astra Zeneca. They should be reporting on their early phase results on Monday.

Treatment/cure out by September and then everything starts up again. Vaccine follows in November.

These numbers are being manipulated if not outright falsified. It was reported in Florida that 300 hospitals were "mistakenly " reporting 100% positive which was more than 10x the actual positive rate. Just like they were reporting anyone who had covid at the time of death as a covid death. They were literally taking people with gunshot wounds in Chicago who tested positive for covid and labeling them covid if they tested positive on the death certificate.

Man I sure hope NCAA hoops comes back. I haven't watched the NBA in yrs (although I hope Myles gets drafted and has a GREAT CAREER, he is a class act!) and right now the NFL is through for me too.

Hockey and MLB for me until the Hall <hopefully>.

Sports needs to be back to take our minds off all this craziness with the world; COVID and racial strife. Never in my lifetime would I think we'd be this divided and have some crazy plague going on with it. However, God has an ultimate plan for us, for those that have faith in Him.

Again, not knocking those that are Agnostic or don't believe. In my life, I have to take it One Day at a Time!

GO HALL!! and why not Lets Go Islanders and Mets!, lol

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Careful of Moderna vaccine, quite a bit of serious adverse side effects on its healthy - 21-50 volunteers. Not sure how that will play out in older adults and children

Treatment/cure out by September and then everything starts up again. Vaccine follows in November.

I like your positive outlook, but this doesn’t seem possible. Also, gotta think a decision will be made by September, but it is the NCAA we’re taking about.

I love the optimism but my gut says no. I fear the NBA will see a number of issues this summer that will completely end the hopes of playing a sport where you have to make physical contact.

I think that Willard's idea of playing in November when the campuses are closed is the right way to go if the virus is under some semblance of control. But my gut says the season won't start until January at the earliest.

Reactions: razor_ogrady
Careful of Moderna vaccine, quite a bit of serious adverse side effects on its healthy - 21-50 volunteers. Not sure how that will play out in older adults and children
The bigger issue is that their executives keep cashing out of their stock. Not a great endorsement by a company that to date has not launched a successful product. If this vaccine ultimately fails, there will be a huge investigation.

I think that Willard's idea of playing in November when the campuses are closed is the right way to go if the virus is under some semblance of control. But my gut says the season won't start until January at the earliest.

I must have missed it, is there a link to Willard’s thoughts?

Barring the availability and the administration of a vaccine, I have a hard time envisioning the season (absent fans) playing out even if its limited to intra-conference games. Colleges are already feeling the pinch economically. There are expenses incurred for home games and obviously ,more for away games. Some conferences/teams have media deals that will cover those expenses, many do not. If you play don't you also have to start the women's season as well due to Title IX? There is also the potential for a government mandated shutdown if there is .substantial outbreak of the virus. Using New York as an example, a shutdown there would affect a number of conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT