ADVERTISEMENT

So much focus on the men but the women could be special too

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
A reminder....

Bozzella ‘excited’ for women’s basketball class
Home»Top Stories»Bozzella ‘excited’ for women’s basketball class
Posted By Tyler Calvaruso on Apr 26, 2017

Last week, the Seton Hall women’s basketball program put the final touches on its 2017-18 roster by finalizing the signings of junior college guards Nicole Jimenez and Inja Butina to go along with Temple graduate transfer Donnaizha Fountain.

Jimenez hails from Miami and spent her freshman and sophomore seasons at Broward College in Florida. She averaged 15.5 points per game a year ago and chose Seton Hall over Florida Atlantic, Middle Tennessee and Coastal Carolina.

Inja Butina. Photos via SHU Athletics.

One thing that was a major selling point for Jimenez was the family atmosphere that she saw at Seton Hall.

“It stood out to me that they’re really family oriented,” Jimenez said.

To go along with that family atmosphere, Jimenez pointed out that former Seton Hall point guard Shakena Richardson sold her on South Orange.

“[Shakena] Richardson played a huge role in my recruitment,” Jimenez said. “Because of her story I was able to really trust that Seton Hall will have my best interest at heart.”

Joining Jimenez in the backcourt next year will be Butina, the Hutchinson College product from Zagreb, Croatia.

Butina had a highly successful junior college career, leading the Blue Dragons to a 33-2 record and the No. 4 seed in the NJCAA tournament last season. She also ranked top four in total assists in the NJCAA as a freshman and sophomore.

To go along with her time playing at Hutchinson, Butina has also played overseas for the Croatian U16 and U18 national teams, an experience that head coach Tony Bozzella thinks has played a major role in her progression as a point guard.

“I think Inja brings a level of experience that you wouldn’t get from the average high school or even junior college kid,” Bozzella said. “She’s played against women six to 10 years older than her throughout her whole career and she’s learned to be tougher, more physical and handle tougher situations on the court.”

As for Fountain, Bozzella believes that Seton Hall has found something special in the Temple graduate transfer.

“I feel that Donnaizha is the best fifth-year transfer in the country,” Bozzella said. “To get her was a stroke of good luck.”

Fountain averaged 12 points and 7.1 rebounds per game in her two years at Temple after beginning her college career at Georgia Tech. Her double-double performances against Villanova and DePaul last season put her on Bozzella’s radar as a player who can make some noise playing against Big East competition.

“What put her over the edge was her games against DePaul, Villanova and even South Florida,” Bozzella said. “If you look at her performances against them, it’s not like she scored all her points against lower level teams. This kid’s a player.”

Her talent on the court is undeniable, but Bozzella noted her intangibles as the main reason as to why he was so interested in bringing her to Seton Hall.

“We didn’t need a kid who was going to score 15 points a game, we needed a kid who was going to bring all these intangibles to the program and she was exactly what we needed,” Bozzella said. “I think she’s going to give us exactly what we were missing in terms of experience and leadership.”

With Jimenez, Butina and Fountain joining the program along with incoming freshmen Kimi Evans and Selena Philoxy, Bozzella has every reason to be excited about next season and beyond.

“This is as excited as I’ve been in a while,” Bozzella said. “Obviously because of their talent level, but with the kids that we have in our program now, they’re excited to get us back to the level that we were at. I think the kids that we have coming into the program are ready to go.”

Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.

http://www.thesetonian.com/2017/04/26/womens-basketball-class/

Reactions: ShuVol
Did the women lose a lot of players via transfer?
Yes, four transferred out...TT Smith (JR), Claire Lundberg (SR), Martha Kurderer (JR) and Skyler Snider (SO). The incoming class seems to be more talented than what the team is losing with the transfers. Last year the team was incredibly young. That won't be the case this year. Still young but more experienced.

Reactions: buzzershot
Claire Lundberg and Martha Kuderer have transferred to Montana State. Skyler Snider to Stetson. I don't know where Titi Smith is headed.

This year's team will be loaded with top flight athletes and ball sharers. Or else they will sit.

Kaity Healy, a captain last year and a PG who comes off the bench, is charged up about the coming season.

And so am I. We could be top 20 if the girls play as a team.

Smith and Lundberg started most times. Kurderer was injured a lot and Snyder was sort of buried on the bench.

Don't see it happening. Too many new pieces.

The new pieces are very talented and experienced. Smith and Brown practiced with the team last year. If they had been eligible they would have started over any of the players that transferred out. We will also have a solid bench.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
This is perhaps the most unpredictable team in history of SHU women's basketball.

First, it may be the second best in terms of talent/roster. (The Sweet Sixteen team that just missed the Elite Eight is still the best.)

But we all know games are not won on paper. We'll have to see. It will really come down to what kind of attitude they have, individually and collectively.

Many questions.

--Will the returning starters get better? What kind of work are they putting in during this off-season? Will they act like leaders? Will they set an example on and off the court? Will they play defense for 40 minutes?

--You can ask the many of the same questions of the players who sat out and will be eligible in 17-18. We have no idea how they'll perform in actual games.

--The incoming freshmen and the transfers are all talented players. But will they know and accept their roles? Will they fit in the system? Are they willing to learn? Are they mentally strong enough to get past struggles and learn to play in a new system?

--Perhaps most important: Can they rebound? Because they could not rebound last season.

So there's major potential. They could be good enough to beat anybody in the Big East and play in the NCAA... or perhaps there are just too many new players and they won't gel.

And let's not forget that the coaches also play a major role in making this work. They have to bring together what is essentially a new roster and improve and diversify the offense

As previously stated by some in the past: every willing player has improved each season they play under this staff.

So I'm optimistic.

Go Pirates!

Whether the remaking of the roster that began with four players transferring and five new players coming in plus two players who sat out last year now eligible will result in success is uncertain. What is certain is that Tony and his staff recognized what changes had to be made to his roster and they went out and did it. They brought in two JUCO and a graduate senior that bring experience with them plus two very good freshman.

What I love about Tony and his staff is that there are never any excuses about how difficult it is to recruit at SH they just go out and do it using all the available pools of talent to draw from, HS, JUCO, transfer or graduate senior .

I spoke to Tony last year at this time. He knew that 2016/17 was going to be a rough season and he was right. But he was ecstatic when talking about the future after this year and at the time he had no idea what type of class he was going to bring in.

Coaches know when they're going to struggle and when they have talent and I'll take Tony Bozzella's word when he says we will fight for the Big East title this season and in the years to come.

I spoke to Tony last year at this time. He knew that 2016/17 was going to be a rough season and he was right. But he was ecstatic when talking about the future after this year and at the time he had no idea what type of class he was going to bring in.

Coaches know when they're going to struggle and when they have talent and I'll take Tony Bozzella's word when he says we will fight for the Big East title this season and in the years to come.
They now have 14 players on the roster. Is the roster complete? I imagine they'd take only a killer rebounder.

After 17-18 they lose Jackson and Fountain, who is a one-season grad transfer who is a guard/forward.

Are either of the JUCO guards going to redshirt? I'm asking because they have enough guards.

I believe we're involved with a very good player who if she signs will imm take the place of grad transfer Fountain.

I believe we're involved with a very good player who if she signs will imm take the place of grad transfer Fountain.
Interesting. When you say "take the place," what do you mean? Would that trigger a redshirt from Fountain?

Fountain is a grad transfer who will start for her one year at the Hall. My sources have told me we are involved with a young lady who has a similar skill set and would play in 2018/19.

On the general issue of women's college basketball and the Big East, there was quite an interesting development this month.

The Georgetown head coach left for Delaware. That was a big surprise. Delaware seems to be going all out to improve their programs.

Fountain is a grad transfer who will start for her one year at the Hall. My sources have told me we are involved with a young lady who has a similar skill set and would play in 2018/19.
That's great. Reloading every season is a big deal.

So far there has not been any news about 2018 commits. There are some names out there with SHU on the list, but no word about new players.

In past years we had commits by this time. I understand every season is different. And more than half of the 2018 ESPN Top 60 players, for example, have committed.

Huge step down, no? What conference does Delaware even play in?
They play in the Colonial.

I haven't seen an explanation but I'm going to guess Adair wanted a raise after her third season as head coach. Georgetown declined. The Delaware job opened after their coach retired after 21 seasons. Delaware opened the checkbook. She's from Maryland so she stays in the area. Adair is gone.

With a 14 person roster and two players who will use up their eligibility after this year they can be very selective in who they recruit for next year and one thing has been consistent throughout Tony's tenure and that is that he and his staff do a great job recruiting and I don't see that changing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT