ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita's Myles Carter picks Seton Hall

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
253x450

St. Rita's Myles Carter (41) reacts after he dunks against Thornwood on Wednesday, March 11, 2015. (Matt Marton / Chicago Tribune)

One look at Myles Carter would be enough to attract a college coach's attention.

The sculpted 6-foot-8 Carter, who was more of a defender and rebounder than a scorer at St. Rita, was recruited by numerous schools before committing to Seton Hall on Monday.

The fourth St. Rita senior headed to a Division I program, Carter ultimately chose the New Jersey school over DePaul, Memphis, Virginia Commonwealth and Cleveland State, he said.

Seton Hall (16-15, 6-12 Big East in 2014-15) has just one proven big man returning next season.

"Coach (Kevin) Willard was telling me they want me to be an impact player from the start," said Carter, who averaged six points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots this season. "I've got to be prepared. I've got to work on my post game and free throws and running more to get accustomed to what it's going to be like."

Carter has the benefit of experiencing high-level games - and practices - at St. Rita, which went 26-4 and lost to Simeon in the Class 4A Eisenhower Sectional final.

Small forward Charles Matthews is heading to Kentucky, while guards Kain Harris and Armani Chaney signed with Tulane and Tennessee State.

"They pushed me to be better every day," Carter said.

While assistant coach Billy Garrett Sr. was DePaul's primary recruiter, Carter said head coach Oliver Purnell's resignation made it difficult for him to choose the Blue Demons.

"I'm not going to say it didn't," Carter said. "It played a small part, but I don't want to put it as the reason I didn't go there. Even with Coach Purnell there, I still would have picked Seton Hall."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/chi-prep-boys-basketball-st-ritas-carter-seton-hall-20150323-story.html

Another good recruiting job by Coach Willard and the staff. Wonder if Freddie Hill with his former Chicago connection played a big part in this.

The kid's HS coach is Ron Naclerio. Oops. Wrong guy. , ex NYC HS coach. I think Fred and he are tight.

This post was edited on 3/24 7:19 PM by Seton75

His H.S. coach at St Rita is Gary DeCesare originally from St Raymond's in the Bronx.

This post was edited on 3/24 3:50 PM by Flnj86

This post was edited on 3/24 3:52 PM by Flnj86

Is Carter an athletic big man who could really help Del Gado .? Rebounding ,Defense? From what I'm reading on these sites ,Carter needs to work on his offense .

Welcome Myles. Much success and make the most of the experience.

Welcome indeed.

The Trove is in the process of interviewing Myles and his coach.

Thought I read that Myles averaged 12 and 15 or 15 and 12. How does that compare with Delgado's high school numbers?

As far as I know. He had 12 and 15 in one of his state playoff games. And had double doubles in his last two state playoff games. Did not average 12/15 for his season as far as I know.

How well does he weave at the top of the three point line? And can he throw the ball past half court when inbounding the ball? Two must haves in a Willard style offense.

FWIW Carter was injured early last season. Colin, one of our Trove writers spoke to him (and his coach Gary DeCesare) and sent me the story for editing last night. It will be posted on the Trove Monday.

Here's what Colin emailed me about the article.....Myles was very enthusiastic about Seton Hall and gave a very good interview. Seems like he is working his tail off to be ready to play minutes immediately.

I'll post a small tidbit on the interview here next week.

Amazing how people get credit for getting guys with potential more than anything else. 6 points, 7 rebounds in the tough Chicago league is ah good. But impact? The type of kids SJU, Villanova, Georgetown and others are going after? Not trying to rain on any parades and hopefully this young man will help a lot. But honestly this seems to be the type of recruit a BE team takes in late June. But you never know he could come in and turn out and be that player needed to lead SHU in rebounding and defense. By the way his Coach is Gary DeCaser, ex St. Raymond HS and Depaul U Assistant who is friendly with many people on your staff including Kevin Willard. Do not think anyone had to use special relationships on this one.

I get what you're saying LF but have you ever seen him play? I've seen Carter play on a few occasions and I have no doubt that he will make an immediate impact. Reminds me a lot of Delgado.

Just finished reading the Trove article. The young man is very well spoken.

I am sure the read will be a very interesting one for our fans. Myles Carter certainly has a great work ethic and says all the right things.

How will that translate on the court? We won't know until he suits up.

I only saw him once on TV, but he did not remind me of Delgado at all.

He was injured during the beginning of the season, then put up 12 pts,15 Rebs and 6 blocks during the playoffs. I am very happy with his commitment to Seton Hall, really likes it here, will work hard, has height, good build, long wing span and has skills which will lead to success on the court. Welcome to Seton Hall , Myles. Agree, Burnsly.

This post was edited on 3/27 1:03 PM by Flnj86

Originally posted by Flnj86:
He was injured during the beginning of the season, then put up 12 pts,15 Rebs and 6 blocks during the playoffs. I am very happy with his commitment to Seton Hall, really likes it here, will work hard, has height, good build, long wing span and has skills which will lead to success on the court. Welcome to Seton Hall , Myles.
I was trying to find his season stats but can't find them anywhere. I think he had big rebound and block #s but not much of a scorer at this point. I saw that stat line in a Tribune article, but didn't see him mentioned and couldn't find a box score in the next game that his team lost in. Anyways, seems like a good kid from what I've been reading and sounds like he might be able to help AD on the boards sooner than later.

all we need from him is to rebound and play defense. A few blocked shots and points is a bonus.

Most of his scoring came off of offensive rebounds since most of his teammates launched 3's all game. Sound familiar?

Originally posted by jcalz88:
all we need from him is to rebound and play defense. A few blocked shots and points is a bonus.
That's all he talked about in the interview. Rebounding and defense. Says all the right things and his work schedule is top notch. Let's hope that translates to the court next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT