ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Sauers

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
This was originally posted on the Trove and many readers have contacted me asking for Steve's help.

I will now bring it here.....

Those that know me well know that Steve Sauers, DOBO under Gonzo and Willard, has been a very good friend to me and by extension this board.

Since I have been the moderator of the Trove Steve has given me more inside info than anyone else. All the while suffering from deep depression known only to a few of us.

That changed 5 years ago when Steve reached out to Jerry Carino

Steve just sent this to me to share to those in need.....

MENTAL HEALTH JOURNEY AND OVERCOMING ADVERSITY
By Stephen D. Sauers

Thirty-year Division I assistant coach, coach’s son, and former player

Recent Updates

I spoke at the McLean Institute, the number one hospital in the world for treatment of OCD, where I was a former patient on 3 different dates over the past several months.

Spoke with patients.

Spoke with therapists.

Spoke with doctoral candidates.

My mental health presentations are all non-profit.

I have been invited to the OCDI National Convention for OCD in San Francisco to speak on their panel from July 7 – July 9.

I took part in a podcast with Ryan Sahlin from “Greater than the Game.”

Appeared on

Sports Talk with Roger Wyland.

I had an article written about my OCD journey by sportswriter Jerry Carino.

I have future contracts to speak at UPS and Verizon.

Within the past year I have spoken at over two dozen high schools and colleges.

Overview

I suffer from very severe OCD, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and loneliness.

I was treated at a psychiatric center for 5 days, McLean Center for OCD for thirty days, and had cingulotomy surgery.

It has only been over the last few years that I have understood the impacts of this, and learned to manage these conditions that I have had since I was 5 years old.

It is only after living through these challenges that I can now share my personal journey. I hope to help others learn to identify the symptoms, and to develop strategies to help them handle these conditions.

I have had 4 former players, whom I recruited and coached, commit suicide.

Testimonials

“I have known Stephen Sauers since he was a young camper. His story on mental health is very
compelling, passionate, and ends up inspiring.”
Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Basketball Coach

“Stephen’s mental health story needs to be heard. It’s very moving; bringing mental health
concerns to the forefront.”

Fran McCaffery, Iowa Basketball Coach
“Stephen is an enthusiastic, warm, gentle, real person, and is an inspiring speaker. His contributions to the
OCD community have touched the lives of so many. His warmth gives us all a feeling of family, and a
reason to keep the personal growth going. He speaks from the heart with great passion.”

Dade Booth, LMHC Behavioral Therapist and Coordinator of Group Therapy at the OCDI McLean Hospital
*clips of portions of 7 different speeches available.

Don't be afraid/embarrassed to seek help. Steve will go out of his way to do what he can to lessen your issues. And of course I will ensure your privacy.
Halldan1@comcast.net

BTW,

Steve gives presentations for his non profit business when it can be worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT