ADVERTISEMENT

Stick to Sports crowd

I'm wondering if all these people "outraged" and calling for Butker's head have even read his speech in its entirety. He is a devout conservative Catholic, voicing conservative principles to a predominately conservative audience at a conservative Catholic college. What do people expect. I guess he should just stick to kicking and not express his views.... you know, copy LeBron or Colin Kaepernick. CNN, NY Times and others were headlining negative interpretations. 110,000 (probably more by now) called for him to be thrown off the Chiefs team.

He did not denigrate women or insinuate that they should not get degrees..... he merely stated inconvenient truths.... families are better off with a mom and dad in a married relationship. Son of a gun, he was praising the nuclear family.... somehow that makes him anathema to the NFL...lol... the paragons of DEI virtue signallers.

Neither did he cast any dispersions on LGBTQ'ers. His comment about PRIDE, in my opinion, was an observation that a group of people have coopted the word and that real pride can be found in fulfilling what he considers, when viewed through the lens of his faith, to be our real purpose...... the preservation of family and the protection of LIFE.

"Cancel him".... the crowd shouted..... "cancel him".

He WAS outwardly critical of the hierarchy within the Catholic Church. So there's that.

It was quite a commencement speech. I don't think it was meant to be touchy feelie, but was meant to provoke thought. It was from the heart and rather tame in comparison to other commencement ceremonies around the country that were peppered with hate or outright canceled. He definitely provoked negative and positive reviews. MSM seemed joined at the hip in criticizing.

I don't know its significance, , but after the speech Butker's number 7 Chief's jersey was outselling Patrick Mahomes' jersey. I'm thinking of buying one.

Adding text of his speech:

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
TwitterGuy do you really have a degree from Seton Hall University?

The stick to sports crowd is about people not going to a game or watching a game to see political issues. I want to hear about LeBron's thoughts on police brutality as much as another player quoting the odds of the likelihood of cops getting shot when I turn on the game. Players want to spend their free time promoting their views go for it, just not at work. You can't let player A express democratic views and not let player B express republican views and vice versa.

I'm wondering if all these people "outraged" and calling for Butker's head have even read his speech in its entirety. He is a devout conservative Catholic, voicing conservative principles to a predominately conservative audience at a conservative Catholic college. What do people expect. I guess he should just stick to kicking and not express his views.... you know, copy LeBron or Colin Kaepernick. CNN, NY Times and others were headlining negative interpretations. 110,000 (probably more by now) called for him to be thrown off the Chiefs team.

He did not denigrate women or insinuate that they should not get degrees..... he merely stated inconvenient truths.... families are better off with a mom and dad in a married relationship. Son of a gun, he was praising the nuclear family.... somehow that makes him anathema to the NFL...lol... the paragons of DEI virtue signallers.

Neither did he cast any dispersions on LGBTQ'ers. His comment about PRIDE, in my opinion, was an observation that a group of people have coopted the word and that real pride can be found in fulfilling what he considers, when viewed through the lens of his faith, to be our real purpose...... the preservation of family and the protection of LIFE.

He WAS outwardly critical of the hierarchy within the Catholic Church. So there's that.

It was quite a commencement speech. I don't think it was meant to be touchy feelie, but was meant to provoke thought. It was from the heart and rather tame in comparison to other commencement ceremonies around the country that were peppered with hate or outright canceled. He definitely provoked negative and positive reviews. MSM seemed joined at the hip in criticizing.

I don't know its significance, , but after the speech Butker's number 7 Chief's jersey was outselling Patrick Mahomes' jersey. I'm thinking of buying one.

Thanks for posting the entire transcript of the speech. After seeing how it was portrayed by the MSM, no wonder why it was misrepresented because “clicks” are more important then context, thought provoking and values.

This young man is 28, but his wisdom is beyond his years.

i think its tone deaf to think families don't WANT to have a stay at home mom. the reality is its really hard to do in 2024 and not everyone is a millionaire like him.

Reactions: Robot_Man and Merge

dont disagree with your points, but are you trying to say people weren't outraged by kaepernick??? the same people who cried about kaepernick are upset that people are crying about butker

dont disagree with your points, but are you trying to say people weren't outraged by kaepernick??? he same people who cried about kaepernick are upset that people are crying about butker
Very few in the MSM were outraged by Kaepernick, in fact, they were honoring him as some kind of hero. Do you think we’ll see the same with Butker? If you read the transcript, there’s a lot there beyond the cherry picked quotes that don’t provide context.

Very few in the MSM were outraged by Kaepernick, in fact, they were honoring him as some kind of hero. Do you think we’ll see the same with Butker? If you read the transcript, there’s a lot there beyond the cherry picked quotes that don’t provide context.
i think you'll see the liberal media be as outraged as the conservative media

i think its tone deaf to think families don't WANT to have a stay at home mom. the reality is its really hard to do in 2024 and not everyone is a millionaire like him.
You really miss the point. Tone deaf??? LOL. You are just digging and sifting through things to find fault.

dont disagree with your points, but are you trying to say people weren't outraged by kaepernick??? the same people who cried about kaepernick are upset that people are crying about butker
Again..... taking a sarcastic, maybe misplaced throw away line from me about Kaepernick and using it to poke holes in Butker's speech.

Swing and a miss.... strike 2.

Again..... taking a sarcastic, maybe misplaced throw away line from me about Kaepernick and using it to poke holes in Butker's speech.

Swing and a miss.... strike 2.
im not poking holes in his speech with that comment. bit of a strawman point there. the comment speaks for itself.

in another post i did comment on his speech in that he doesn't understand a lot of people these days dont have the luxury to have a stay at home mom.

Can’t say anything the progressives disagree with it is heresy in their eyes.Transgender boys playing girls sports is a civil right,expressing your opinion on motherhood is not to be tolerated.And they call the right extremists.

You can be a devout Catholic and also be pro-choice. That simple statement aside, Butker trying to draw the lines of what does and does not make a true Catholic is his business and what that college decides is allowed. No need to cancel or whatnot. He is allowed to be wrong.

You can be a devout Catholic and also be pro-choice. That simple statement aside, Butker trying to draw the lines of what does and does not make a true Catholic is his business and what that college decides is allowed. No need to cancel or whatnot. He is allowed to be wrong.
He is allowed to share his decidedly conservative Catholic views with a predominately conservative Catholic audience at a decidedly conservative Catholic college. It is a level of Catholic Christianity that not many understand but is a growing phenomenon. I applaud your agreement that he should not be pilloried for it. I question your declaration that he is " wrong"..... a sweeping statement that ignores a lot of uncomfortable truths that he presents.

Anyone think the time for choice was right before having sex. A choice was made and this was a consequence of that choice. Maybe that makes me a pro choice catholic but anti no consequences. I’m going down the turnpike today if I choose to drive 100mph, can I choose not to pay the ticket, then choose not to go to jail for not paying the ticket. Why are we always looking to give people an out when it comes to being responsible for their actions.

Anyone think the time for choice was right before having sex. A choice was made and this was a consequence of that choice. Maybe that makes me a pro choice catholic but anti no consequences. I’m going down the turnpike today if I choose to drive 100mph, can I choose not to pay the ticket, then choose not to go to jail for not paying the ticket. Why are we always looking to give people an out when it comes to being responsible for their actions.
i do agree that if you go 100mph down the turnpike you get what you get, a ticket being the least of your concerns

He is allowed to share his decidedly conservative Catholic views with a predominately conservative Catholic audience at a decidedly conservative Catholic college. It is a level of Catholic Christianity that not many understand but is a growing phenomenon. I applaud your agreement that he should not be pilloried for it. I question your declaration that he is " wrong"..... a sweeping statement that ignores a lot of uncomfortable truths that he presents.
I apologize for outright saying "wrong". I disagree with the bulk of what he stated (and yes, I did watch his whole speech) but I am a firm supporter of people being allowed to speak their beliefs and also disagree

Reactions: PiratePride
i do agree that if you go 100mph down the turnpike you get what you get, a ticket being the least of your concerns
Nice that you choose to avoid the time to make the decision and consequences of decisions.

There’s bodily consequences for what we do to our bodies all of the time. Consequences for going to the gym, consequences for not going to the gym. Consequences for what you choose to eat and what you choose not to eat. Consequences of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. None of those do you avoid those consequences. Why is sex when you create separate DNA from the mother any different?

There’s bodily consequences for what we do to our bodies all of the time. Consequences for going to the gym, consequences for not going to the gym. Consequences for what you choose to eat and what you choose not to eat. Consequences of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. None of those do you avoid those consequences. Why is sex when you create separate DNA from the mother any different?
The comparison of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use is laughable. You wouldn't allow any of these people to change their outcome, given the opportunity?

The comparison of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use is laughable. You wouldn't allow any of these people to change their outcome, given the opportunity?
wow you’d want to live in a world where people can decide to F up their bodies anyway they want with no consequences for it.

wow you’d want to live in a world where people can decide to F up their bodies anyway they want with no consequences for it.
It's crazy to me that your equivalence to conception so far has been: high speed driving, drug use, tobacco use, alcohol use.

You, on your own, have immediately compared child birth to four self-destructive activities. So to me, you are comparing parenthood to solely being a consequence. cool.

I hate Life Off the Ship, and I'm finished here

It's crazy to me that your equivalence to conception so far has been: high speed driving, drug use, tobacco use, alcohol use.

You, on your own, have immediately compared child birth to four self-destructive activities. So to me, you are comparing parenthood to solely being a consequence. cool.

I hate Life Off the Ship, and I'm finished here
Parenthood is a consequence. There are such things as a good consequence in all aspects of life. I got up and went for a run this morning. There are good consequences to that. Shaheen getting better players will have consequences and so will getting worse players have consequences.

You want to live in this world where everyone gets a trophy and gets exactly what they want, which is dumb.

You just wanted to avoid the real issue of decisions having consequences and made it about each individual topic as opposed to the talk about the point that was being made. You skipped right over the part about the decision to have sex. And clearly you have no problem with a woman taking out a fetus that does not share the same DNA.

Last edited:

Exactly. Only a very small percentage of families in America would be able to afford the lifestyle he can provide for his family. Of course his wife is happy. Their decision was not a struggle for them. Entirely tone deaf to pick that moment to tell the women in that audience that their careers will not be fulfilling.

I hope he spends the rest of his public speaking career promoting policies that would provide for families who want to stay home with their children, but can’t afford to… I have a feeling that his political views will be more important than his religious views there though.

Exactly. Only a very small percentage of families in America would be able to afford the lifestyle he can provide for his family. Of course his wife is happy. Their decision was not a struggle for them. Entirely tone deaf to pick that moment to tell the women in that audience that their careers will not be fulfilling.

I hope he spends the rest of his public speaking career promoting policies that would provide for families who want to stay home with their children, but can’t afford to… I have a feeling that his political views will be more important than his religious views there though.
and of course everyone here is acting like hes aristotle and this is some profound lost concept.

It doesn’t sound like you read the whole transcript because you missed the point.

Giving birth and raising children isn’t about “maintaining a lifestyle” for many parents. It’s about bringing life into this world and the joy having a child provides. It’s about making choices, sacrifices, and having priorities. I’m really surprised you have such a transactional view about being a parent. When exactly was it easy to raise a child?

It doesn’t sound like you read the whole transcript because you missed the point.

Giving birth and raising children isn’t about “maintaining a lifestyle” for many parents. It’s about bringing life into this world and the joy having a child provides. It’s about making choices, sacrifices, and having priorities. I’m really surprised you have such a transactional view about being a parent. When exactly was it easy to raise a child?

I read it.
Raising children is hard. I’m fortunate enough that we were able to make the decision for my wife to stay home with the kids. We made sacrifices to be able to do that, but many families don’t have the luxury to make the decision.

He lacks perspective for what it’s like for families that need to have both parents work, and he picked a shit time to make a point about women’s desire for a career being part of a “diabolical lie”…

I read it.
Raising children is hard. I’m fortunate enough that we were able to make the decision for my wife to stay home with the kids. We made sacrifices to be able to do that, but many families don’t have the luxury to make the decision.
Is it any harder today than it was 20, 50, 100 years ago? There have always been families that didn’t have the luxury.
He lacks perspective for what it’s like for families that need to have both parents work, and he picked a shit time to make a point about women’s desire for a career being part of a “diabolical lie”…
How do you know that? Just because he has more resource’s doesn’t mean he lacks perspective. Once again, if you read the article, you would know that he is a man of faith very much involved in his community. In fact his perspective on how the Catholic Church needs to help parishioners more rather than ask for their help was quite provocative.

Let's be careful not to confuse "conservative views" with "Catholic Views." Sure there's some overlap, but there's also a ton of incompatibility.

the media is complete garbage on this issue..that includes Eisen, Zagoria, De Courcy...they are so trapped in their world of leftist bleeding hearts that they cannot gain perspective or even bother to actually listen to what Butker actually said

Consider this point of view. She said it better than I could:

Chiefs Hive

pnSdesrtoo1ayaah50t 78m9M1373M9t06 4aaac0435gf h 1:p8931715u ·
Tavia Hunt, the wife of Chiefs’ owner Clark Hunt, recently shared the following on an Instagram post regarding recent comments made by Harrison Butker:
“I’ve always encouraged my daughters to be highly educated and chase their dreams. I want them to know that they can do whatever they want (that honors God). But I also want them to know that I believe finding a spouse who loves and honors you as or before himself and raising a family together is one of the greatest blessings this world has to offer. Studies show that committed, married couples with children are the happiest demographic, and this has been my experience as well.
*Affirming motherhood and praising your wife, as well as highlighting the sacrifice and dedication it takes to be a mother, is not bigoted. It is empowering to acknowledge that a woman’s hard work in raising children is not in vain.*
Countless highly educated women devote their lives to nurturing and guiding their children. Someone disagreeing with you doesn’t make them hateful; it simply means they have a different opinion. Let’s celebrate families, motherhood and fatherhood. Our society desperately needs dedicated men and women to raise up and train the next generation in the way they should go. Proverbs 31:28 says, “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Embracing the beautiful roles that God has made is something to celebrate.
*I also caution against taking things out of context. Sound bites overlaid with hateful comments are not what we want to model for our children or others. We need more dialogue (and VALUES, IMO) in this country and less hate.*”

The natives will like this

Completely taken out of context. Curious how saying a bill that could land you in jail for pointing out who killed Jesus according to the Bible is the same narrative Nazis had during the Halocaust? By her logic we shouldn’t point out white people owned slaves. Pointing out facts isn’t hate speech it’s just facts of the past with nothing to do with people in todays world.

Odd she never mentions him talking to the young men and the importance of being present in their homes, in the lives of their children, and in their communities, Only about the the importance of women in the home gets brought up? My guess she doesn’t even know what he said to the young men.

Consider this point of view. She said it better than I could:

Chiefs Hive

pnSdesrtoo1ayaah50t 78m9M1373M9t06 4aaac0435gf h 1:p8931715u ·
Tavia Hunt, the wife of Chiefs’ owner Clark Hunt, recently shared the following on an Instagram post regarding recent comments made by Harrison Butker:
“I’ve always encouraged my daughters to be highly educated and chase their dreams. I want them to know that they can do whatever they want (that honors God). But I also want them to know that I believe finding a spouse who loves and honors you as or before himself and raising a family together is one of the greatest blessings this world has to offer. Studies show that committed, married couples with children are the happiest demographic, and this has been my experience as well.
*Affirming motherhood and praising your wife, as well as highlighting the sacrifice and dedication it takes to be a mother, is not bigoted. It is empowering to acknowledge that a woman’s hard work in raising children is not in vain.*
Countless highly educated women devote their lives to nurturing and guiding their children. Someone disagreeing with you doesn’t make them hateful; it simply means they have a different opinion. Let’s celebrate families, motherhood and fatherhood. Our society desperately needs dedicated men and women to raise up and train the next generation in the way they should go. Proverbs 31:28 says, “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Embracing the beautiful roles that God has made is something to celebrate.
*I also caution against taking things out of context. Sound bites overlaid with hateful comments are not what we want to model for our children or others. We need more dialogue (and VALUES, IMO) in this country and less hate.*”
Thanks for sharing. Somewhere along the way the nuclear family, faith, love for our country and having values became frowned upon.

Meanwhile P-Diddy beats his girlfriend senseless and none of these “journalists” utter a peep. Thank you Tavia.

Completely taken out of context. Curious how saying a bill that could land you in jail for pointing out who killed Jesus according to the Bible is the same narrative Nazis had during the Halocaust? By her logic we shouldn’t point out white people owned slaves. Pointing out facts isn’t hate speech it’s just facts of the past with nothing to do with people in todays world.

Odd she never mentions him talking to the young men and the importance of being present in their homes, in the lives of their children, and in their communities, Only about the the importance of women in the home gets brought up? My guess she doesn’t even know what he said to the young men.
That part of the anti-Semitism definition isn't about pointing out who killed Jesus in the Bible, it's about assigning the blame to the Jewish people as a whole. Yes, the people primarily responsible for Jesus' death in the Bible were Jewish. No, the Jewish people living today are not any more responsible for it than those of any other religion and to suggest they are would be antisemitic. That's what it's about.

That part of the anti-Semitism definition isn't about pointing out who killed Jesus in the Bible, it's about assigning the blame to the Jewish people as a whole. Yes, the people primarily responsible for Jesus' death in the Bible were Jewish. No, the Jewish people living today are not any more responsible for it than those of any other religion and to suggest they are would be antisemitic. That's what it's about.
i clearly missed where he blames Jewish people as a whole. He mentions congress passing a bill. Nothing about assigning a blame to all Jewish people as a whole. I don’t even see it implied. He was talking about speaking truth. Clearly you agree this is truth.

i clearly missed where he blames Jewish people as a whole. He mentions congress passing a bill. Nothing about assigning a blame to all Jewish people as a whole. I don’t even see it implied. He was talking about speaking truth. Clearly you agree this is truth.
I assumed you were referring to the bill that wanted to adopt the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism, so I wanted to clarify the part of that definition that people are misunderstanding and freaking it about. I promise that nobody will throw you in jail for pointing out that the people responsible for killing Jesus in the Bible were Jewish.

I assumed you were referring to the bill that wanted to adopt the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism, so I wanted to clarify the part of that definition that people are misunderstanding and freaking it about. I promise that nobody will throw you in jail for pointing out that the people responsible for killing Jesus in the Bible were Jewish.
That’s true today but who knows about 10 years from now. I would’ve never guessed things would have changed so much in 10 years. You better be sure lawyers won’t find a way to challenge that in the future. So the question is how is it written. If it’s written in such a way that you can be thrown in jail, even though you won’t, he’s not wrong in anything he said. It seems some politicians voted against the bill for that reason.

That’s true today but who knows about 10 years from now. I would’ve never guessed things would have changed so much in 10 years. You better be sure lawyers won’t find a way to challenge that in the future. So the question is how is it written. If it’s written in such a way that you can be thrown in jail, even though you won’t, he’s not wrong in anything he said. It seems some politicians voted against the bill for that reason.
Political points, a politician's only priority is securing re-election.

And I agree that it's not written well, but they just want to avoid use of the generalizing term. Kind of how we wouldn't appreciate people declaring "the Catholics raped children," thereby attributing the actions of a small % of rogue priests to all.

The fact that she saw nothing but hate in that speech and not love is the most damning statement about society today.

Reactions: SPK145
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT