ADVERTISEMENT

Still waiting

Pirates1991

Senior
Jan 17, 2018
Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Per Fanta
Dan Hurley and his staff have crushed it on the recruiting trail throughout this cycle. UConn’s 2023 class:

5-star wing Stephon Castle
4-star guard Solomon Ball
4-star wing Jaylin Stewart
4-star wing Jayden Ross

And…just announced…4-star center Youssouf Singare.

Reactions: CL82 and chickenbox
Holloway was a McDonalds All American player who was named the MVP of the McDonalds Game. Hurley could not come close as a player or as a Coach.

You heard it here 1st, Holloway will have SHU as a superior program.

Didn’t Hurley have 2- 4 “star” recruits transfer out recently?

I’ll wait on shedding crocodile tears, until these “ high” caliber players produce at a high level on the college level.

Holloway was a McDonalds All American player who was named the MVP of the McDonalds Game. Hurley could not come close as a player or as a Coach.

And that changes exactly what about 2023 recruiting results to date? Maybe we’ll beat out Army and FDU for that rising star kid…

Anyone who sits back without concern isn’t looking at the situation with balance.

Hopefully we nail it in next year’s portal and don’t lose our best players to said portal/NIL.

Didn’t Hurley have 2- 4 “star” recruits transfer out recently?

I’ll wait on shedding crocodile tears, until these “ high” caliber players produce at a high level on the college level.
Could not give a rat’s ass about UConn’s recruiting. I’m not comparing against their recruits.

Let’s compare our 2023 class to any class in the nation. Let’s hear some favorable critiques.

And that changes exactly what about 2023 recruiting results to date? Maybe we’ll beat out Army and FDU for that rising star kid…

Anyone who sits back without concern isn’t looking at the situation with balance.

Hopefully we nail it in next year’s portal and don’t lose our best players to said portal/NIL.
Imagine if we would have gotten half the kids on UConn’s list and another poster called them overrated?

Could not give a rat’s ass about UConn’s recruiting. I’m not comparing against their recruits.

Let’s compare our 2023 class to any class in the nation. Let’s hear some favorable critiques.
When we get a recruit in 23 or 24 let me know

Are people most concerned about Sha, his staff, or our NIL situation? Is Sha not closing? Is the staff not getting players on campus for Sha to close? Or are the NIL offers so below par we get no one interested?

Are people most concerned about Sha, his staff, or our NIL situation? Is Sha not closing? Is the staff not getting players on campus for Sha to close? Or are the NIL offers so below par we get no one interested?
My thinking is Sha and his staff were hired so late they were far behind other staffs with recruits.

We pulled in many excellent recruits for this year - let’s give the staff another full cycle before we roast them. Need to build solid relationships- a magical run at St. Peter’s is not pixie dust for lights-out recruiting at SHU just yet.

We are in the final grouping so it is not recruiting or being late etc. to me it is Facilities and NIL.

We have been the superior program in recent years, Holloway is starting in the lead.

I'm not concerned about us getting players. We will get players, whether that be predominantly transfers or some of the prep kids we are after.

I'm also not going to be so insane and patently biased against talented prospects that go elsewhere simply because I don't like the program or coach or have some little brother complex about Uconn (ironically, we've been a better program in recent years, so not sure what that's about). Including prospects we actually recruited (but now they are overrated, lol). Water is wet.

No one knows how these kids will turn out. To knock Uconn's class when we'd take every single one of them here is silly.

I guarantee that none of our 2023 recruits disappoint.

I'm not one bit concerned about recruiting thus far, new coach, behind in NIL and facilities on the way. Sha can make a killing with transfers next spring, when we catch up on other fronts he will land good recruits.

I'm more excited about an upcoming season than I've been in a while.

Reactions: Seton00
I think that in addition to what has been said some of it may be Sha's recruiting approach as he stated in Dana O Neil's article. When recruits ask about NIL he tells them that instead of worrying about their own brand he wants to know how are they going to help build the brand of Seton Hall. As a fan that is great to see a coach have that type of attitude and to try to get players who are primarily focused on playing his brand of basketball. In a different day and age, some players might gravitate to a no non sense approach and appreciate the challenge by a coach but I don't know if that's going to fly with today's players. He is paying the price for this approach. When so many things working against him(mid major staff, facilities, NIL) maybe he should change how he pitches these recruits and their families at least until he has developed a pattern of success at SHU.

Now you are seeing the results of his decisions. Only Big East team with no 2023 recruits and staff is now going after a player whose only offerings are West Point and D2 schools. I'm pulling for him though. Hopefully he figures it out because the clearly the guy is passionate about SHU and wants to see the program continue to succeed.

I think that in addition to what has been said some of it may be Sha's recruiting approach as he stated in Dana O Neil's article. When recruits ask about NIL he tells them that instead of worrying about their own brand he wants to know how are they going to help build the brand of Seton Hall. As a fan that is great to see a coach have that type of attitude and to try to get players who are primarily focused on playing his brand of basketball. In a different day and age, some players might gravitate to a no non sense approach and appreciate the challenge by a coach but I don't know if that's going to fly with today's players. He is paying the price for this approach. When so many things working against him(mid major staff, facilities, NIL) maybe he should change how he pitches these recruits and their families at least until he has developed a pattern of success at SHU.

Now you are seeing the results of his decisions. Only Big East team with no 2023 recruits and staff is now going after a player whose only offerings are West Point and D2 schools. I'm pulling for him though. Hopefully he figures it out because the clearly the guy is passionate about SHU and wants to see the program continue to succeed.
Assuming that quote is accurate -- and I have no reason to think otherwise -- it is the smart play for him recruiting-wise. What else is he going to say? Don't kid yourself; if you asked Sha whether he'd want Kentucky's NIL situation or ours, he would take Kentucky's everyday and twice on Tuesday. And his "pitch" in response to those questions would be very different.

Reactions: ceballoj
NIL
Staff
Hoes
Sha

I guarantee that none of our 2023 recruits disappoint.

I'm not one bit concerned about recruiting thus far, new coach, behind in NIL and facilities on the way. Sha can make a killing with transfers next spring, when we catch up on other fronts he will land good recruits.

I'm more excited about an upcoming season than I've been in a while.
I think it will be a pleasantly surprising season. I have my concerns about the new normal and the weaponry we’re bringing to war.

I'll also add that I'm not bothered at all by the lack of 23 recruits. We've been targeting high profile kids who were always going to be tough gets. Maybe we could look next tier down just to "get a commit," but with a little patience we can find that same skill level with a year+ of college experience in the transfer market. Unless you're looking to fill the end of your bench, there's just not a whole lot of value right now in taking a kid who you know is at least a year away from having a chance to contribute. And frankly, that's the majority of incoming freshmen at this level.

I'll also add that I'm not bothered at all by the lack of 23 recruits. We've been targeting high profile kids who were always going to be tough gets. Maybe we could look next tier down just to "get a commit," but with a little patience we can find that same skill level with a year+ of college experience in the transfer market. Unless you're looking to fill the end of your bench, there's just not a whole lot of value right now in taking a kid who you know is at least a year away from having a chance to contribute. And frankly, that's the majority of incoming freshmen at this level.
The concern is if we can’t beat the big boys out for HS players because of NIL, what makes anyone think we’re going to beat those same big boys out for transfers with the NIL money they can offer to the transfers.

Reactions: Abbo71 and sami
We have gone from recruiting with the Bluebloods to this……

In the last 2 days, Seton Hall, Farleigh Dickinson and Army have been in to see 2023 sniper …..

• Sad
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
SH has been short on having all the requisite assets needed to be a major player for the top rated recruits out there primarily because we havn’t been able to match the athletic infrastructure other schools have but the new practice facility should be a major plus for us once it’s built. There is however a new element that has entered the recruiting wars and that is NIL and we are way behind being competitive in what we can offer to a recruit and we have to recognize that and devise a recruiting strategy that offers a realistic chance of bringing quality talent to our program. What that strategy is falls directly on Sha’s shoulders and we should support him and give him ample time to define what his strategy will be and give the program time to let it work.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I am beginning to question the practice facility …. Yes eventually there will be something but come on now. We can’t even get a sketch of something never mind a shovel in the ground date!!
The only recruits the facility will impact is the 2027 and beyond so better get a lucrative NIL strategy quick

Assuming that quote is accurate -- and I have no reason to think otherwise -- it is the smart play for him recruiting-wise. What else is he going to say? Don't kid yourself; if you asked Sha whether he'd want Kentucky's NIL situation or ours, he would take Kentucky's everyday and twice on Tuesday. And his "pitch" in response to those questions would be very different.
One way he can alter his pitch is to focus on how his positive media attention can help build a recruits brand and ultimately get them the deals they are looking for. My pitch as a coach would be I know how to win at a high level and not only will I teach you how to win, but help you develop your game. If you are looking for NIL deals while we may not have much now(in terms of just giving you money for basically nothing), if you reach your full potential the deals will come to you. You won't need alumni to just give you money, your efforts on the court will help you earn it.

Holloway is a media darling. There are going to be more eyes on SHU over the next few years than ever before because of Holloways personality and story of the underdog. The more mainstream attention he gets, the more that trickles down to the players and more business opportunities for them. He could use Doug Edert as an example. Sha got him better, he produced on a big stage and now he has a huge following on instagram(no SHU player last year is even close to his following) and a bunch of NIL deals including Buffalo Wild Wings.

He is still getting the type of player he wants(someone who wants to work for their success) but saying it in that way comes off less defiant.

Unfortunately most everyone expects Arkansas to clean up here.

Can't count how many time we have come in 2nd or 3rd to date with high caliber recruits.

May be a moot point per a June Denver Post article I saw:

"if the NBA drops its rule requiring all draftees be one year removed from high school, as is expected, there’s a chance Baye goes straight to the pros. “One college scout said the consensus is, ‘Baye may not see a college court,’ ” Lutheran head coach Bill Brandsma told The Post in February."

May be a moot point per a June Denver Post article I saw:

"if the NBA drops its rule requiring all draftees be one year removed from high school, as is expected, there’s a chance Baye goes straight to the pros. “One college scout said the consensus is, ‘Baye may not see a college court,’ ” Lutheran head coach Bill Brandsma told The Post in February."
That rule change isn't expected to go into effect until the class of 2024. It's subject to the NBA and its Player's Association reopening the league's collective bargaining agreement in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT