ADVERTISEMENT

Takes the wind out of your sails

I gave a pretty decent amount to our matching NIL efforts and it’s hard to get past the pay for play and one year commitments that now rule the sport

Thank you for contributing, HallX2! The grassroots campaign here was amazing and got the program over $100,000! Dan's daily updates were cool - it was like that thermometer you see at fundraising events!

So, for me, I think we need to have faith in the efforts of Onward Setonia and that they are implementing a strategic plan to keep Seton Hall competitive in this new environment. It's not an enviable position but Coach Sha, like every coach in the nation, is adjusting on the fly. I think he'll only get better with experience in regards to his strategy for constructing a team.

Let's face it. Pay-for-play is here to stay. Adapt or die.

I gave a pretty decent amount to our matching NIL efforts and it’s hard to get past the pay for play and one year commitments that now rule the sport

Paysite

Many know more about the inner workings than I, but with recent rulings by courts and the NCAA regarding direct payments to players, does the facade of NIL even [still] exist?

Hard to read this about KR.If he gets booed at the Rock I wouldn't blame the fans.Will certainly taint his SHU legacy.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Thank you for contributing, HallX2! The grassroots campaign here was amazing and got the program over $100,000! Dan's daily updates were cool - it was like that thermometer you see at fundraising events!

So, for me, I think we need to have faith in the efforts of Onward Setonia and that they are implementing a strategic plan to keep Seton Hall competitive in this new environment. It's not an enviable position but Coach Sha, like every coach in the nation, is adjusting on the fly. I think he'll only get better with experience in regards to his strategy for constructing a team.

Let's face it. Pay-for-play is here to stay. Adapt or die.
I have faith in O.S. It’s the players that trouble me. And I mean players in general and some extraordinarily self absorbed in particular. Those you would never want to count on.

Reactions: walshtrips
Guys, the players didn’t bring all this BS crashing down. The schools and conferences are the culprits if we really want to assign blame. Nick Sabin getting $11 million a year and up until a year ago most of his players got nothing (of course there were some underhanded payouts). The greed of the conferences, schools and coaches has been outrageous. The article posted by SPK145 on another thread really hits home.

Guys, the players didn’t bring all this BS crashing down. The schools and conferences are the culprits if we really want to assign blame. Nick Sabin getting $11 million a year and up until a year ago most of his players got nothing (of course there were some underhanded payouts). The greed of the conferences, schools and coaches has been outrageous. The article posted by SPK145 on another thread really hits home.
Agree and article was on point. There have always been real student athletes and those that took the money (bag) and school was a place to try to get a pro career with no interest in a degree.

social media (and the media) do these kids no favor either.

The real culprit is the NFL and NBA. Guys can skip college in both baseball and hockey and get paid to play while pursuing their dream of playing at the highest level. The NFL and NBA have exploited college sports and made them out to be their free minor league systems. Figure out real minor league systems and maybe 95% of the players in college basketball and football will be going to college to get an education not to play a sport.

Yes, it really sucks to lose a talent like Kadary. However, This may be his only chance to cash a big paycheck. Assuming he comes from an impoverished background, he really had to go for the biggest payday. He needs to take care of his family.

Reactions: radecicco
Yes, it really sucks to lose a talent like Kadary. However, This may be his only chance to cash a big paycheck. Assuming he comes from an impoverished background, he really had to go for the biggest payday. He needs to take care of his family.
Agree with this take. Why hate on people making choices they hope are right for them? Life is too short.

Reactions: chickenbox
I have faith in O.S. It’s the players that trouble me. And I mean players in general and some extraordinarily self absorbed in particular. Those you would never want to count on.
I don't think the players have changed appreciably over the years. The system has changed drastically.

If this current system was in effect 10, 20 or 30 years ago those players (and their handlers) would be acting the way present-day players do.

I don't think the players have changed appreciably over the years. The system has changed drastically.

If this current system was in effect 10, 20 or 30 years ago those players (and their handlers) would be acting the way present-day players do.
True. But they couldn’t so we never had to deal with it on a grand scale.

Kooks and Pitino, I predict a very volatile relationship. The money may be greener, but that doesn't guarantee chemistry.
You may be right, but the flip side is he is going to play for one of the best coaches of all time, who is renowned for his coaching acumen, work ethic and skill development. Sha wasn't easy to play for either, and seems very much cut from the same cloth as Pitino when it comes to what he demands out of his players. They are from the same coaching tree, to an extent, because Pitino was Willard's mentor, and Willard helped mentor Sha, regardless of any falling out they may have had at the end.

Richmond is essentially a free agent in his walk year. He is incentivized to be on his best behavior. If he doesn't buy into what Pitino wants him to do, he is only going to cost himself long term.

But, Kadary could have received a huge paycheck alot of places. To jump to St John's is disrespectful to Sha and what he did for Kadary’s development imo. His transfer explanation quotes while likely well meaning, were a slight to Sha and Seton Hall.

If Khadary went to Arkansas or UNC or Duke, he would have been remembered as playing 3 years at The Hall at a time when that was a rarity and a spectacular last year. No comments really about Dre leaving.

I think this will be very intense and potentially very ugly this year. Sha and Pitino say what they feel and that will lead to alot of public comment next season.

Is it November yet??!!

But, Kadary could have received a huge paycheck alot of places. To jump to St John's is disrespectful to Sha and what he did for Kadary’s development imo. His transfer explanation quotes while likely well meaning, were a slight to Sha and Seton Hall.

If Khadary went to Arkansas or UNC or Duke, he would have been remembered as playing 3 years at The Hall at a time when that was a rarity and a spectacular last year. No comments really about Dre leaving.

I think this will be very intense and potentially very ugly this year. Sha and Pitino say what they feel and that will lead to alot of public comment next season.

Is it November yet??!!
LMAO and going to Arkansas, UNC, Duke or anywhere else would have been disrespectful to his family if they wanted to be at the games. The world is not Sha centric even though this board is. Worry about Sha's feelings, worry about moms feelings? Worry about Sha's feelings, worry about moms feelings? Who would you pick?

LMAO and going to Arkansas, UNC, Duke or anywhere else would have been disrespectful to his family if they wanted to be at the games. The world is not Sha centric even though this board is. Worry about Sha's feelings, worry about moms feelings? Worry about Sha's feelings, worry about moms feelings? Who would you pick?
Could very well be the reason Khadary went to St John's, but I don't know that and neither do you. What I do know is he chose the 1 school that would irreparably tarnish his legacy with Seton Hall; a legacy he worked on for 3 years to cultivate. He also gave a talking point to Pitino and St John's about Seton Hall, that it wanted and likely overpaid for in NIL.

Is it November yet??!!

I'm a 22-year old man -- an adult.

I have some potential opportunities. I can stay at my current work place, move to a direct competitor or take one of several opportunities in another part of the country.

I like where I am but realize I can make more money elsewhere. Beyond that I can perhaps set myself up for a bigger and better opportunity in the near future.

While I love my mom and my family and I love my manager (boss), I have to do what's ultimately best for me. If that means going to my company's direct competitor, so be it. If that means relocating to another part of the country, again so be it.

Could very well be the reason Khadary went to St John's, but I don't know that and neither do you. What I do know is he chose the 1 school that would irreparably tarnish his legacy with Seton Hall; a legacy he worked on for 3 years to cultivate. He also gave a talking point to Pitino and St John's about Seton Hall, that it wanted and likely overpaid for in NIL.
Doesn’t he deserve benefit of the doubt? I definitely don’t know and you don’t know. I’m giving him benefit of the doubt. I don’t believe you are.

I don’t understand what the whole “talking point” reference is about?

I have some potential opportunities. I can stay at my current work place, move to a direct competitor or take one of several opportunities in another part of the country.

I like where I am but realize I can make more money elsewhere. Beyond that I can perhaps set myself up for a bigger and better opportunity in the near future.

While I love my mom and my family and I love my manager (boss), I have to do what's ultimately best for me. If that means going to my company's direct competitor, so be it. If that means relocating to another part of the country, again so be it.
I hate this comparison. It is apples and oranges to say the least.

There will forever be a caveat to getting a lot of money as a public figure. That’s part of the deal when you sign up for this kind of life. It can’t all be sugar plums with great money, free shoes and little kids that ask for your autograph.

If an employee goes to a rival company for more money, how many people know about this? 5?

Sports, politics, theater/acting….your money essentially comes from your audience. You’re open game for criticism and for being called a turncoat.

Because guess what? Ya are.

If players don’t like it, they can work at Rite Aid.

Call me an old school fan, but I don’t like when a player goes to a rival team.

Will I lose sleep over it? No. Am I mad? No.

But my perception on who Kadary Richmond is has changed. And not for the better.

There will forever be a caveat to getting a lot of money as a public figure. That’s part of the deal when you sign up for this kind of life. It can’t all be sugar plums with great money, free shoes and little kids that ask for your autograph.

If an employee goes to a rival company for more money, how many people know about this? 5?

Sports, politics, theater/acting….your money essentially comes from your audience. You’re open game for criticism and for being called a turncoat.

But my perception on who Kadary Richmond is has changed. And not for the better.
Curious how many peoples opinions here have changed for the worse when the moment Johnny Damon or Jacoby Ellsbury became yankees.

I mean literally we just took a player from St. John's last year. If you stand by your principle of you don't like a player going to a rival team, your opinion of DAW should be the same as KR. But I'm sure most people will find a reason why it's ok to go from one rival to another when one comes our way.

This is part of professional sports. College sports is not amateur sports.

Curious how many peoples opinions here have changed for the worse when the moment Johnny Damon or Jacoby Ellsbury became yankees.

I mean literally we just took a player from St. John's last year. If you stand by your principle of you don't like a player going to a rival team, your opinion of DAW should be the same as KR. But I'm sure most people will find a reason why it's ok to go from one rival to another when one comes our way.

1). College sports’ tenures are finite. You only get 4 years in normal times. So decisions are—and should be—amplified.

2). I heavily dislike the Yankees. When Rickey Henderson and Jason Giambi went, I was disappointed and labeled them turncoats. Pretty much the same as now.

I’m still bitter that Reggie Jackson got paid by the Yankees to go into the Hall as a Yankee especially since he won more WS with Oakland and won his only MVP with the A’s.

But money talks.

Will I get used to this kind of switching teams each year in time? I guess so.

But it’s certainly weakening my interest in college basketball quite a bit.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

Stop making sense

• Haha
Reactions: TheHall87

I root for my team.

We get you, I am a fan. We lose you, I try to forget your name.

I wish you a good life.

I root for my team.

We get you, I am a fan. We lose you, I try to forget your name.

I wish you a good life.
Sadly, I'm with you on that. In the past I did enjoy watching guys like David Palmer, Marcus Cousin, Larry Davis, Eron Gordon, and Darnell Brodie as they moved on. I'm not sure I'm going to watch much to begin with anymore, but I definitely don't plan on watching guys who leave here. Every year is one and dones except they're not done with college basketball, just done where they are at.

Doesn’t he deserve benefit of the doubt? I definitely don’t know and you don’t know. I’m giving him benefit of the doubt. I don’t believe you are.
I like Khadary alot and would have defended any move he made other than this one.

As far as a talking point @dehere23, we lost Khadary, a first team All Big East player, who left for the same type of school, in the same geographic area, in the same conference. Did not want to see what life is like at a football school, like Davis, etc ... We know a big part was NIL but the publicly stated reason has and will be for basketball development reasons.

I like Khadary alot and would have defended any move he made other than this one.

As far as a talking point @dehere23, we lost Khadary, a first team All Big East player, who left for the same type of school, in the same geographic area, in the same conference. Did not want to see what life is like at a football school, like Davis, etc ... We know a big part was NIL but the publicly stated reason has and will be for basketball development reasons.
Kids say what they say whenever they make a move elsewhere. If you think for a second that Pitino recruited the kid for a "talking point" like above, I think that's wild. He's a very good player, that's why he was recruited and why numerous other schools would have taken him. Just like Sha took Wusu because he likes him as a player.

That's nonsense. Villanova would've been okay? RU would've been okay?

My whole point was if he wanted to stay close to home and get the biggest pay day within 2 hours of home, those other options of UNC, Duke, Arkansas don't exist because family is here. Benefit of the doubt here, money was a gigantic part but not the only thing that mattered. So if about 2 hours from home is a priority that pretty much narrows it down to Nova, RU, and SJU. Find me a person who hates the move to SJU but is okay with the idea of him at RU or at Nova. That would be BS because I'm sure if he ended up at Nova or RU the same disgust would be here.

Did not want to see what life is like at a football school, like Davis, etc ... We know a big part was NIL but the publicly stated reason has and will be for basketball development reasons.
Davis wanted to see what life was like at a football school? Did he sleep through his 1st 2 years of college?

Reactions: TheHall87

Come ON.

MONEY
NYC MEDIA
HOMETOWN
PITINO
MORE NIL PROBABLY = BETTER ROSTER (on paper at least)

He's gone
You better learn how to face it
(Sorry darryl and john lol)

Yes and no. I agree it's not a one-to-one comparison but it's more in a gray area than you make it out to be.

I have two adult nephews who are big sports fans. One played college basketball. They barely know Seton Hall is in the Big East.

While Kadary is a public figure, I'd bet a significant percentage of people in this area don't have any idea who he is. It's magnified to us, the people close to the Seton Hall program. Certainly there are others who know him even if they're not Seton Hall fans. But there are a lot of people who have no clue or know how college sports works in 2024.

To those people, he might as well be you or me.

Reactions: dehere23

Is it November yet??!!
Maybe he didn’t want to go to those places. Does anyone really think KR is a Duke kind of person. Most likely he wanted to stay local. SHU couldn’t match SJ’s $$$. So he stayed in the NYC area and got paid. He did what was best for him. End of story

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT