ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic's Best Transfer Fits

TheHall87

All World
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
The Athletic has a piece up on the best fits out of the transfer portal. It seems as if it's a fluid article as players continue to commit (while it's dated May 6, there are comments going back to April 19). There are currently 53 players mentioned. It's important to note this isn't simply a ranking of top players out of the portal but also takes into account how said player fits with his new program.

For Seton Hall fans, Al-Amir Dawes is listed at No. 36 and Dre Davis is No. 44

Other names of note:

No. 1 Baylor Scheierman from South Dakota State to Creighton
No. 5 Brandon Murray from LSU to Georgetown
No. 6 Tristen Newton from East Carolina to UConn
No. 14 Andre Curbelo from Illinois to St. John's
No. 17 Souley Boum from UTEP to Xavier
No. 28 Bryce Hopkins from Kentucky to Providence
No. 30 Dawson Garcia from North Carolina to Minnesota
No. 31 Manny Bates from NC State to Butler
No. 32 Devin Carter from South Carolina to Providence
No. 37 Nahiem Alleyne from Virginia Tech to UConn
No. 42 Dashawn Davis from Oregon State to Mississippi State
No. 45 Ali Ali from Akron to Butler
No. 46 Jay Heath from Arizona State to Georgetown

The link with breakdowns for each player is below for those who subscribe

Reactions: CL82 and JRSlim2284
I know they are taking into account “fit” but these rankings are ALL over the place. These are the ESPN+ transfer portal ranks for players with Hall “interest”

Bates 34
Femi Odukale 51
KC Ndefo 70
Dawes 106
Davis not in top 127 listed

I know they are taking into account “fit” but these rankings are ALL over the place. These are the ESPN+ transfer portal ranks for players with Hall “interest”

Bates 34
Femi Odukale 51
KC Ndefo 70
Dawes 106
Davis not in top 127 listed
They're ranking commits. That rules out Bates, Odukale and Ndefo. I'm not sure how you evaluate "fit" for players who are still uncommitted.

Sam Vecenie is a pretty highly regarded evaluator of talent.

Reactions: buckfoston824
Watching the way St. Peter's played and listening to Holloway talk about how he wants to play, the transfers he's getting are great fits, IMO.

**Dre Davis reminds me of Myles Cale. Good defender and maybe more physical than Cale, but less of an offensive player at this stage even though Cale was inconsistent offensively. Davis gets after it. Very athletic. If we get Femi Odukale, it's a good mix at the 3-spot with Davis.

**Al-Amir Dawes is a Holloway guard. Good defender, good handle, good passer, can also shoot it, skills that were desperately needed on next year's roster given the backcourt situation. He fits well and complements Kadary Richmond and Jamir Harris.

They're ranking commits. That rules out Bates, Odukale and Ndefo. I'm not sure how you evaluate "fit" for players who are still uncommitted.

Sam Vecenie is a pretty highly regarded evaluator of talent.
Athletic ranking commits, ah I got it. Makes more sense now. Guess ESPN just ranking the players overall.

Reactions: TheHall87
The “Athletic “ list is a good indication of how important transfers have become to the BE teams as seven BE teams are cited . Transfers and the NIL are at the top of the list of issues affecting college sports , primarily football and basketball that need to be addressed as areas of concern .

If you have a lineup out there of Richmond, Dawes, Davis, Samuel, and Ndefo that's some athleticism defensively. Not big and burly, but should be able to swarm big time, sort of like some of Jay's Villanova teams did. Samuel would be the weakest of that group and his defense got much better last year, IMO.

Reactions: buckfoston824
If you have a lineup out there of Richmond, Dawes, Davis, Samuel, and Ndefo that's some athleticism defensively. Not big and burly, but should be able to swarm big time, sort of like some of Jay's Villanova teams did. Samuel would be the weakest of that group and his defense got much better last year, IMO.
One question that I have is where do you see our scoring coming from .

Watching the way St. Peter's played and listening to Holloway talk about how he wants to play, the transfers he's getting are great fits, IMO.

**Dre Davis reminds me of Myles Cale. Good defender and maybe more physical than Cale, but less of an offensive player at this stage even though Cale was inconsistent offensively. Davis gets after it. Very athletic. If we get Femi Odukale, it's a good mix at the 3-spot with Davis.

**Al-Amir Dawes is a Holloway guard. Good defender, good handle, good passer, can also shoot it, skills that were desperately needed on next year's roster given the backcourt situation. He fits well and complements Kadary Richmond and Jamir Harris.
Everything is right on here except I read Davis isn’t a great athlete.

78) Femi Odukale, 6-5, 185, G, Soph., Pittsburgh
The Numbers: 10.8 ppg, 3.4 apg, 33% 3-pointers (30-91)
The Scout: “Great size for a point guard, has a knack for getting by people off the dribble. Needs to become a more consistent jump shooter.”

82) Dre Davis, 6-5, 220, G, Jr., Louisville – SETON HALL
The Numbers: 7.4 ppg, 21% 3-pointers (11-53)
The Scout: “Tough, physical wing. Has some skill off the bounce. Really comfortable and effective in the post with back to basket. Can move his feet and use his length defensively. Has shot it poorly from deep so far in his career. Not an elite athlete.”

87) Al-Amir Dawes, 6-2, 185, G, Jr., Clemson – SETON HALL
The Numbers: 11.3 ppg, 40% 3-pointers (84-211)
The Scout: “Scoring guard. Very good shooter — both catch and shoot, and off the bounce.
Tenacious on-ball defender. Has courage and has made big shots in big moments. Decision-making in paint and off-ball awareness at both ends are improvement areas for him.”

The BE has been recruiting HS recruits very well and doing very well with transfers. Not just this year but for the past few years.

One question that I have is where do you see our scoring coming from .
Prediction: We will score fewer than 70 points per game for the first time since the 2014-15 season.

In Sha's four years at SPU they averaged 66.9, 63.2, 66.3 and 62.9 points (this past year first and moving backwards).

We'll likely play at a slower tempo than Willard's teams did and prioritize defense even more (if that's possible).

Hard to say. If we play small we will have to play quick against bigger teams. That will increase not decrease the offensive point total.

Guess we'll have to see the final 13 man roster before deciding.

Hard to say. If we play small we will have to play quick against bigger teams. That will increase not decrease the offensive point total.

It will be interesting to see how this team manages the last five minutes of the game. Possessions become tighter and there is fewer passes. Some good ball handlers but only Kadary can create his own shot (maybe Femi).

Like you said, I need to see how the rest of the roster fills out.

Looking at this list…do we have a shot at Lofton Jr. , Abogidi, Osun, or Patrick Baldwin? Those 4 all look intriguing or downright good. lol

It will be interesting to see how this team manages the last five minutes of the game. Possessions become tighter and there is fewer passes. Some good ball handlers but only Kadary can create his own shot (maybe Femi).

Like you said, I need to see how the rest of the roster fills out.
This will be interesting to see how it plays out. IMO, Dawes is another guy that can create late game/shotclock. If you watch his highlight tape from last year he has a number of 1 on 1 step back threes where he is able to create space.

4 top 100 players coming to SHU, not a shabby start to the Shaheen Holloway era

seems good but im a bit worried about rebounding. have no idea where its coming from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT