ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see would you think he would prefer to play for SHU in the BE or St Louis? He would be a fool to decline an offer from SHU in my opinion.

The kid can score bigly. He could play at a power forward spot and not play center here. Mamu did not play center for SHU and played at the forward spot. Which gave us some nice size up front.

That player Jayson Kent on Indiana State was very impressive. He’s 6’8”, attacks the rim. Grad transfer. I’ll take him and Trey Townsend from Oakland. How much?

Let's see would you think he would prefer to play for SHU in the BE or St Louis? He would be a fool to decline an offer from SHU in my opinion.
Most are going where the $$$ is greater. One day it's going to be wild where you see smaller schools with nice endowments like Rice in the American, Boston University in the American East and Northeastern University in the CAA beating out Big East and ACC teams. Those schools never went at it hard for recruiting purposes. Once those schools get involved they're going to be off and running.

I don't know. We speculate on what's best for any kid. I do the same. But ultimately we don't know what drives any particular player.

We are a better program than SLU. We play in a better league.

How would Avilla far night-in, night out against Big East bigs? He's a unique player.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Article says Avila marked himself in the portal as not to be contacted. So presumably it's already a done deal where he's headed.

Mass exodus of ISU players after coach departs following a big tournament run. Reminiscent of St Peter's two years ago

I don't know. We speculate on what's best for any kid. I do the same. But ultimately we don't know what drives any particular player.

We are a better program than SLU. We play in a better league.

How would Avilla far night-in, night out against Big East bigs? He's a unique player.

If Sha thinks he’s a fit then go for it. He’s a dynamic we need. I guess PG is the most important, but the roster has multiple needs. I doubt this player ends up at SHU.

Most are going where the $$$ is greater. One day it's going to be wild where you see smaller schools with nice endowments like Rice in the American, Boston University in the American East and Northeastern University in the CAA beating out Big East and ACC teams. Those schools never went at it hard for recruiting purposes. Once those schools get involved they're going to be off and running.
Not many Players will take more to play in the American East if they have Big East talent.

Not many Players won’t take more to play in the American East if they have Big East talent.
They've done it for years in the WCC. How many elite SEC level football players followed Deion to Jacksonville State. Don't kid yourself. And don't believe for a second those schools won't steal a top level coach if their wealthy alums will buy players. A school like Rice is loaded with wealthy alums

Reactions: Piratz
Not many Players will take more to play in the American East if they have Big East talent.
Taking that a step forward, is it worth it for a school like Hofstra or Wagner to overpay in the NIL to obtain an outstanding player?? Would the chance for an Automatic bid and the payout from the NCAA be worth the gamble??

Taking that a step forward, is it worth it for a school like Hofstra or Wagner to overpay in the NIL to obtain an outstanding player?? Would the chance for an Automatic bid and the payout from the NCAA be worth the gamble??
Good question. I don't know. But I do think, as I posted in another thread, schools like Hofstra, Wagner, Iona etc should be aggressively targeting high 3 stars and 4 stars they probably never would have wasted time on previously. Let the sell be we will give you big minutes off the bat and develop you and if you get a nice payday down the road you want to chase, have at it.

Reactions: shupat08
Avila has a unique skill set, if Holloway thinks he can get him to play defense I’m sure he’d kick the tires…. But Comon we all know he’s going to SLU

Yes he is probably going there but that does not mean you don't let him know you have an interest just in case something happens that causes him to rethink about it.

Reactions: halltheway
The football schools want to bury TBEC. How can you recruit if you don’t get an invite.? How do you pay the bills without the revenue from the tournament? How do you hire great coaches if there’s no where to go? I think you just saw a small glimpse of what is going to happen. And our commissioner doesn’t seem to mind that we’re going to be a different version of The-10.

Reactions: Section112
Between high school recruiting and transfers I don't know how these coaches do it.
They are living is total chaos

The football schools want to bury TBEC. How can you recruit if you don’t get an invite.? How do you pay the bills without the revenue from the tournament? How do you hire great coaches if there’s no where to go? I think you just saw a small glimpse of what is going to happen. And our commissioner doesn’t seem to mind.
While I think they want to bury us, the league wasn't what it usually is. The metrics were skewed because we had one team that was 20 points better than anyone else on an average night. We also had 2 very good teams in MU and CU. As I said we'd have a legitimate beef if we were like Oklahoma where 180 brackets had them in. We were in 13 of 226. Anyone want to look into the backgrounds of the 213 people who didn't have us in?

Between high school recruiting and transfers I don't know how these coaches do it.
While it's chaos my bet is it's easier to sleep at night. You're not dealing with tons of sleezy middle men trying to make money off a player because you can actually pay the player now.

mad-men-don-draper.gif

Reactions: The SHUttle
Sure you are

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see anyone grabbing this players uncle or high school coach to be part of the staff. Agents, runners, etc that's the kids problem not so much the coach. Coaches can tell you we have X number from our collective available, the player can take it or leave it. The coach doesn't have to bow down to those middle men to sway a kid, the money is doing that.

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see anyone grabbing this players uncle or high school coach to be part of the staff. Agents, runners, etc that's the kids problem not so much the coach. Coaches can tell you we have X number from our collective available, the player can take it or leave it. The coach doesn't have to bow down to those middle men to sway a kid, the money is doing that.
Unless the handler is the “agent”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT