ADVERTISEMENT

The Portal in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think they want to bury us, the league wasn't what it usually is. The metrics were skewed because we had one team that was 20 points better than anyone else on an average night. We also had 2 very good teams in MU and CU. As I said we'd have a legitimate beef if we were like Oklahoma where 180 brackets had them in. We were in 13 of 226. Anyone want to look into the backgrounds of the 213 people who didn't have us in?
You’re missing the point. The brackets you refer to were after Saturday games when most people realized that with all the crazy stuff that happened we would most likely miss out. Heck, I knew late Saturday night that we were out but was hoping! Tell me what the bracketologists were saying on Friday night. I’m confident that more than 13 guys had us in.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
You’re missing the point. The brackets you refer to were after Saturday games when most people realized that with all the crazy stuff that happened we would most likely miss out. Heck, I knew late Saturday night that we were out but was hoping! Tell me what the bracketologists were saying on Friday night. I’m confident that more than 13 guys had us in.
I'm not missing the point whether or not the series of events happened is irrelevant. The committee and the rest of the world didn't think we were a tournament on Selection Sunday. Selection Saturday and Selection Friday don't exist. Why not tell me about bracketologists in January. They're all irrelevant except for Selection Sunday. There was no conspiracy to keep the big east or Seton Hall out on selection Sunday. This was not going out of the way to bury the big east.

Reactions: shu09
I'm not missing the point whether or not the series of events happened is irrelevant. The committee and the rest of the world didn't think we were a tournament on Selection Sunday. Selection Saturday and Selection Friday don't exist. Why not tell me about bracketologists in January. They're all irrelevant except for Selection Sunday. There was no conspiracy to keep the big east or Seton Hall out on selection Sunday. This was not going out of the way to bury the big east.
Again you miss the point. Many/ most brackets had SHU in on Friday. But by Sunday, due to the events in the various tournaments they were out. The selection process is dynamic, it’s always changing, it’s not set until Sunday. I said that I thought they were out on Saturday night. When did I say there was a conspiracy to keep SHU out or to undermine the BE? But you seem to take some bizarre pleasure in repeating yourself over and over again. We’re three weeks beyond selection Sunday and you’re still at it.

Again you miss the point. Many/ most brackets had SHU in on Friday. But by Sunday, due to the events in the various tournaments they were out. The selection process is dynamic, it’s always changing, it’s not set until Sunday. I said that I thought they were out on Saturday night. When did I say there was a conspiracy to keep SHU out or to undermine the BE? But you seem to take some bizarre pleasure in repeating yourself over and over again. We’re three weeks beyond selection Sunday and you’re still at it.
Bro this is simple to follow

1st thing that occurred....someone made a post about big conferences keeping the big east out of the tournament so we can't pay our bills. Even if true, it's not what happened this year.

2nd thing that occurred... I responded that nobody had us in on selection sunday, this was not just the committee doing something to screw the big east. 213 brackets felt that way (and so did you apparently)

3rd thing that occurred.... you responded to me I'm missing the point that people had us in Friday and Saturday

4th thing that occurred...I responded that Friday and Saturday we're irrelevant to the original point that big conferences want to keep the big east out. If that was true you and everyone else wouldn't have had us out.

I keep having to repeat myself because this conspiracy to screw the big east talk is just not true.

Big kid from St. Joe’s we played in NIT headed to Providence.

Have a feeling he’s going to be a PROBLEM. Legit 7 foot, 280ish, and can shoot from 3 and stretch the floor.
Interesting. Originally committed to Providence but opted out when Cooley left. Now???

Going forward the BE teams that aren’t in top 3 better not give the committee any excuses

Bro this is simple to follow

1st thing that occurred....someone made a post about big conferences keeping the big east out of the tournament so we can't pay our bills. Even if true, it's not what happened this year.

2nd thing that occurred... I responded that nobody had us in on selection sunday, this was not just the committee doing something to screw the big east. 213 brackets felt that way (and so did you apparently)

3rd thing that occurred.... you responded to me I'm missing the point that people had us in Friday and Saturday

4th thing that occurred...I responded that Friday and Saturday we're irrelevant to the original point that big conferences want to keep the big east out. If that was true you and everyone else wouldn't have had us out.

I keep having to repeat myself because this conspiracy to screw the big east talk is just not true.
And once again I’ll say that SHU was worthy of a NCAAT invite up until the bid thieves started. If you don’t understand that the selection process is dynamic and always changing up until very late in the process I’m not sure what to say.

And once again I’ll say that SHU was worthy of a NCAAT invite up until the bid thieves started. If you don’t understand that the selection process is dynamic and always changing up until very late in the process I’m not sure what to say.
Agreed, but the screw the big east movement was also real.

How is that relevant with what the committee did? The committee did a fair job.

Bid thieves happen every year.. You don't want to be going into Friday last 4 in and that's where we were. Going forward I think bid stealing is likely to happen more and more as there is little continuity from year to year and you'll see teams struggle to find chemistry early on and come together in February or March and go on a run. If it wasn't for UConn, SJU in our own conference could've been a bid stealer, but UConn was just too good.

There were three bid thieves in the previous two years according to the committee chairman. So now your’re changing the goal post. So, you agree with me that SHU was in the field on Friday until there was an unprecedented number of five bid stealers.

There were three bid thieves in the previous two years according to the committee chairman. So now your’re changing the goal post. So, you agree with me that SHU was in the field on Friday until there was an unprecedented number of five bid stealers.
I never said they weren't in the field Friday because Friday is about as relevant as the bracketologies coming out next week for next year. All that matters is the final one. I said the committee didn't screw them and they didn't.

You're talking like it's a good thing we were leading in a game for 39 minutes even though we lost.

My the way, what about the late booming high school kids…does no one recruit them anymore? Hearing nothing about them. Everyone signed? Lol
This is what high school kids are hearing from college coaches.

You are a nice player, but I am looking for an immediate, impact starter or an all league player.

Developing players over a number of years is not a high priority.

I never said they weren't in the field Friday because Friday is about as relevant as the bracketologies coming out next week for next year. All that matters is the final one. I said the committee didn't screw them and they didn't.

You're talking like it's a good thing we were leading in a game for 39 minutes even though we lost.
So, we agree. The resume was good enough to be in. And it was. But an unprecedented number of bid stealers knocked us out. It’s not the same as leading for 39 minutes. We won the game. Then after the game was over, crazy stuff happened to knock out.

Last year, Providence drew the last bye. If that were this year; they, their 21 wins, and their 13-7 Big East record, would have been the top seed in the NIT.

Their resume was very similar to what ours was this year -- a few nice BE wins, a mediocre at best OOC showing with no great wins. Not altogether different than their OOC this year actually

Would we be having this discussion if it were PC in the position we were in this year?

So, we agree. The resume was good enough to be in. And it was. But an unprecedented number of bid stealers knocked us out. It’s not the same as leading for 39 minutes. We won the game. Then after the game was over, crazy stuff happened to knock out.
the discussion has always been about the committee screwing us and the big east. they didn’t. When it came time to pick the teams were probably team 48 and they had 46 spots to give out. So no it wasn’t good enough. Where we were on Friday, the previous Tuesday or in January is irrelevant. We needed to be top 46 not 48th. Anyone in the game knows if you’re 48th or even 50th the possibility exists might get in and you might get the chair pulled out from under you. You’re just trying to twist it to make it feel we accomplished the goal of NCAA or bust. We overachieved but it was still a bust. Nobody cares if 48th was good enough on Friday if it’s not good enough on Sunday. Everyone talks like SHU had no chance because of bid stealers. How about beating SJU?

Can you imagine the jokes on here if RU thought they were in on Friday then didn’t get the nod on Sunday because of bid stealers and said but we were good enough Friday.

Being in the tournament on Friday is like me telling my parents I had straights A's until the finals, but flunked the final and got a C. Nobody says good for you straight A's until the finals.

Last edited:
Providence seems to have their shit together when it comes to getting what they need from the Portal. No reason Seton Hall couldn’t do the same.

the discussion has always been about the committee screwing us and the big east. they didn’t. When it came time to pick the teams were probably team 48 and they had 46 spots to give out. So no it wasn’t good enough. Where we were on Friday, the previous Tuesday or in January is irrelevant. We needed to be top 46 not 48th. Anyone in the game knows if you’re 48th or even 50th the possibility exists might get in and you might get the chair pulled out from under you. You’re just trying to twist it to make it feel we accomplished the goal of NCAA or bust. We overachieved but it was still a bust. Nobody cares if 48th was good enough on Friday if it’s not good enough on Sunday. Everyone talks like SHU had no chance because of bid stealers. How about beating SJU?

Can you imagine the jokes on here if RU thought they were in on Friday then didn’t get the nod on Sunday because of bid stealers and said but we were good enough Friday.

Being in the tournament on Friday is like me telling my parents I had straights A's until the finals, but flunked the final and got a C. Nobody says good for you straight A's until the finals.
Again you miss the point. They didn’t have another chance to play a game. So unlike you flunking your finals, you had the opportunity to take the finals before the semester was over. SHU’s se season was finished. There was nothing further they could do. At that time they were in the NCAAT according to most bracktologist. It was after SHU’s season was finished that the bid stealing started that they were bumped out of the field. Again, they had a tournament worthy resume but a flukey series of conference tournament results knocked them out.

Again you miss the point. They didn’t have another chance to play a game. So unlike you flunking your finals, you had the opportunity to take the finals before the semester was over. SHU’s se season was finished. There was nothing further they could do. At that time they were in the NCAAT according to most bracktologist. It was after SHU’s season was finished that the bid stealing started that they were bumped out of the field. Again, they had a tournament worthy resume but a flukey series of conference tournament results knocked them out.
You two gotta get a room - this conversation is destroying this thread that is about "the Portal".

They didn't have an opportunity because they got their ass kicked vs SJU. That was their opportunity. Every one of those bid stealers had the same opportunity. Guarantee if we beat SJU, we're in. 100% guarantee we're ahead of both OU and UVA probably a couple other play in teams. Losing by 19 was a failing the test both metrics and eye test.

They didn't have an opportunity because they got their ass kicked vs SJU. They had their opportunity. Every one of those bid stealers had the same opportunity. Guarantee if we beat SJU, we're in. 100% guarantee we're ahead of both OU and UVA probably a couple other play in teams. Losing by 19 was a failing the test both metrics and eye test.
So now a win against a non tourney team in a conference tournament that for some reason the Committee generally does not care about, puts us in? Ridiculous. Particularly since we beat that team twice in the regular season and a bunch of posters discount those wins because St John's was barely on the bubble and were not wins over a tourney team.

So now a win against a non tourney team in a conference tournament that for some reason the Committee generally does not care about, puts us in? Ridiculous. Particularly since we beat that team twice in the regular season and a bunch of posters discount those wins because St John's was barely on the bubble and were not wins over a tourney team.
Exactly you can't lose to mediocre teams when you're on the bubble. Losing by 19 dragged us down big time. So yes a win probably puts us 2 spots higher and yes in the tournament. We didn't need a big win just not a huge loss. You also get another crack at UConn, where if you keep it respectable thats gigantic.

The guy just thinks he knows everything. That’s he’s a numbers guru. That everyone else is wrong and everyone who presents a different take doesn’t know what their talking about and he feels compelled to repeat himself endlessly. Selection Sunday was nearly a month ago.

Exactly you can't lose to mediocre teams when you're on the bubble. Losing by 19 dragged us down big time. So yes a win probably puts us 2 spots higher and yes in the tournament. We didn't need a big win just not a huge loss. You also get another crack at UConn, where if you keep it respectable thats gigantic.
We weren’t on the bubble until the bid stealing started. Five bid stealers! What so hard to understand about that.

St John's had a better NET
Beat Seton Hall in BET
LOST TO Uconn by 5 I believe. Which is much better than anyone else since UConn loss to Creighton
Had sufficient q1 wins

St John's not even close to getting in under Committe analysis - with which I disagree.

The love affair with efficient or inefficient losses is so misplaced in the way this played out this year.

Reactions: radecicco
We weren’t on the bubble until the bid stealing started. Five bid stealers! What so hard to understand about that.
Of course they were …. By the very definition of what happened, they were on the bubble.

Non-bubble teams are basically those in the 3 through 8 seed range, give or take.

SHU was the very definition of a bubble team, as the final results proved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT