ADVERTISEMENT

The Second Wave

The Supply chain problems are a result of a number of things. One China has electricity restrictions going on right now slowing production. Two, loaded containers are sitting off the coast in Long Beach waiting to come into the ports. It use to take 3 to 5 days to clear customs in California and now it’s taking 6 to 7 weeks. Backed up, plus labor shortages . Thirdly, we have an extremely high number of containers sitting in the USA causing shortages elsewhere. Lastly, we have a leadership problem with no solutions, plus our secretary of transportation is on paternity leave. Mayor Pete is missing in action. We have another 6 months before things start getting better. Thankfully many companies are taking matters into their own hands and making changes to their business models.
thanks for your response. that was great.

why is it backed up in california? is it strictly labor shortages? (btw labor shortages is something the govt has a hand in)

this seems like a problem that could be fixed but everyone is content driving up prices. similar to lumbar earlier this year.

Reactions: HALL85

why is it backed up in california? is it strictly labor shortages? (btw labor shortages is something the govt has a hand in)

this seems like a problem that could be fixed but everyone is content driving up prices. similar to lumbar earlier this year.
I suspect most of this is labor related here in the U.S. as well hangover effects of the virus in Asia. Factories in India, China, Vietnam, etc. have been hit the hardest. Here in the U.S., you are absolutely correct in that the administration could have done a lot more to enable people to get back to work and target those jobs in supply chain that are critical short and long term. There is a huge shortage of CDL drivers that is having the greatest impact here at home. We knew this was going to be a problem because of the bottlenecks in the chain and also because eCommerce shopping has accelerated during the pandemic. Maybe instead of focusing on free community college, we should have been focusing money and training on some of these critical trade jobs that keep the country moving.

As a footnote, during the pandemic, I mentioned that our industry was directly involved with OWS on ensuring therapies were being prioritized and invested. I could run down a list of names that I knew would be on conference calls or who we could contact. There are some major supply chain challenges that we are currently facing that could create a major emergency given a major mass casualty event and while the administration has created teams to deal with this, the response and paper shuffling is a complete 180 to how OWS responded. Things moving at snails pace and the names change from call to call.

Reactions: SHallguy2

Exactly right, we allowed a lot of truckers to go on unemployment. Why drive if you can sit at home have a few beers and play video games while collecting the same pay. Goods clear customs and then we have no truckers, so they sit. In my industry sales reps and csr’s are renting trucks and vans to fill orders so they can get paid. A bigger problem slowly developing is China getting out of textile industry. The Amazon’s and apple’s of the world are paying more.

Kids are wearing masks
That’s a huge restriction in case you missed it bookeeper

Again, was talking about restrictions to a restaurant because that was the topic of what Pirata was talking about. Any of those restrictions ended some time ago.

Kids are wearing masks
That’s a huge restriction in case you missed it bookeeper

At this point, why not call him “asshole”? That’s akin to what you’re doing with the “bookkeeper”…

It’s fine. Maybe he’ll grow up eventually, but it doesn’t bother me at all.
I prefer "accounting clerk", LOL.

I've never met Merge in person but we've exchanged emails/messages throughout the years. it's just sad that grown ass adults who otherwise are good posters resort to this.

I'd have more respect if he did call him "asshole" instead, I'm sure I've called Merge that a few times, LOL!!

Reactions: shu09 and Merge
I prefer "accounting clerk", LOL.

I've never met Merge in person but we've exchanged emails/messages throughout the years. it's just sad that grown ass adults who otherwise are good posters resort to this.

I'd have more respect if he did call him "asshole" instead, I'm sure I've called Merge that a few times, LOL!!
Actually, auditor is bad enough…

I kid… of course, I haven’t actually met Merge but unfortunately with SPK, can’t take that back.

At this point, why not call him “asshole”? That’s akin to what you’re doing with the “bookkeeper”…
Because 9 months later it still gets the pot going

it’s lighthearted ball busting based on him OPENLY describing his profession which seems to be split between bookeeping and I love Hilary tweeting

Lighten up Francis

Because 9 months later it still gets the pot going

it’s lighthearted ball busting based on him OPENLY describing his profession which seems to be split between bookeeping and I love Hilary tweeting

Lighten up Francis
Hey, it’s not me… I couldn’t really care. I’m just amazed you’ve kept it going 9 months. Putting your name in the hat for most maniacal on the board?

Again, was talking about restrictions to a restaurant because that was the topic of what Pirata was talking about.

The restrictions were not an immediate cause of his suicide. The restrictions started the ball rolling 18 months ago. 50% capacity hit his business hard. Fast forward to now and he had a bad labor situation (largely caused by government policy). Supply chain and inflation hit his margins hard.

It is a single death. Collateral damage from the pandemic. A single death counts and is tragic, but if we take a step back, it is not a trend, not enough of a statistic to draw any conclusion or make any inference.

That was not my intention. I live in small town now. The guy was well liked.

RIP Giuseppe.

Hey, it’s not me… I couldn’t really care. I’m just amazed you’ve kept it going 9 months. Putting your name in the hat for most maniacal on the board?
If sticking to a nickname gets me there, sure

Nothing against bookkeepers, but no, that is not what I do. Auditor would at lest be accurate... and I didn't even like Hillary.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
it’s lighthearted ball busting

Nicknames can be brutal.

Many years ago as a ROTC cadet at Fort Bragg summer training camp, we were 3,000 college kids thrown together from the Eastern half of the US. Kids from the South, Midwest, Northeast, etc.

We had a guy from Brooklyn in our platoon whose name was Jimenez. He was immediately assigned the nickname of Mayonnaise. That came from the Dirty Dozed movie wherein Trinny Lopez was assigned that moniker. (Great Film!, incredible cast.)

He tried to resist but to no avail. In addition, he was an a-hole and that did not help matters any.

As an aside, one of the guys in the Platoon comes back from a heavy night of drinking about 4AM and is a bit misoriented. He confuses the lower bunk for a toilet and takes a piss on....you guessed it....Mayonnaise.

Interesting article where the truckers blame the union crane workers for the backup. If what they say is true, Biden needs to step in like Regan did to the Air traffic Controllers and fire them all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT