ADVERTISEMENT

The world has lost Jerry West

Jerry was my first sports hero. I have no idea how that happened. I followed my 3 yr older bro into being a fan of the Colts and the Dodgers. He was a Celtic fan. But I became a devout Laker fan. And every damned spring we lost to them and it killed me. Hearing that Jerry West just walked into their locker room to congratulate them. Him being playoff MVP on the losing team. Making every jumper he took, driving and reversing that layup, no matter what he did, we lose. Frank Selvy's shot rolling around and off the rim. Don Nelsons ridicuous foul line jumper with its 20 foot high bounce off the rim, then swish. They have Russell, we have Darryl f'ing Imhoff...then we get Wilt and still lose...Red Auerbach asking what will the Lakers do with all those balloons up in the rafters when they beat us in LA to finish us off (I think in 69).

Then Russell retires and the one great Knick team in history has to be waiting for us. lol omg...60 foot buzzer beater, good for the tie, we lose. Dave Stallworth helping the Knicks win Game 5 when Willis goes down. The Willis game - was really the Clyde game. Sitting in Shea that night with my HS friends and seeing the score and Walt's stats flash on the scoreboard. Oh the pain.

A few dribbles to the right, straight up, and no one can stop that jumper. Hardly had a left hand handle. No matter.

An average coach but a great GM, the only one who was close to Auerbach. The 80s were pretty nice. Adios Jerry!

RIP

Last edited:
Damn. His playing career and role as GM in the 80s were before I was born. I do know him as the architect of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers that won three straight. I don’t think I’ve seen as dominant of a team since.

The true icon of the NBA. He had success in seven different decades. I remember when Kobe died there was some argument by fans that Kobe should replace Jerry West as the logo. But look at Jerry West’s accomplishments over SEVEN decades. Nobody is ever going to have a career like this again.

60s: 1969 NBA Finals MVP, multi time all star and NBA First Team
70s: 1972 NBA champion, all star, all NBA
80s: Won 1980 title with Lakers as scout, built the Showtime Lakers as executive. Won championships in 82, 85, 87, 88 as General Manager
90s: 1995 Executive of the Year with Lakers, drafted Kobe and signed Shaq in 1996
2000s: Won 2000 NBA championship with Lakers. 2004 Executive of the Year with the Memphis Grizzlies.
2010s: Won 2015 and 2017 title with Warriors as executive board member. 2016 Warriors won 73 games, most in regular season NBA history. Executive Board member of Clippers. Helped recruit Kawhi Leonard to team, beating out the Lakers.
2020s: Clippers reach WCF for first time in history.

For some reason I thought he would last forever. Truely an all time great.

I still remember that 3/4 court heave at the buzzer to tie the NBA championship game that the Knicks won in OT. David DeBusschere was under the Laker basket and collapsed to the floor when the ball went in.

As I ve told everyone who would ever listen I was at all of the home games for the Knicks first championship in May 1970. So much respect for the logo. One of the true GOATs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT