ADVERTISEMENT

This is what leadership looks like

SHallguy2

All Big East
Nov 11, 2009

10 days after the hurricane the causeway to Sanibel is repaired and hundreds of utility trucks are out repairing the electricity. The Governor is firing on all cylinders, trucks were waiting for the moment the bridge opened. No wasted time, Desantis is showing what good leadership is all about.

Last edited:

10 days after the hurricane the causeway to Sanibel is repaired and hundreds of utility trucks are out repairing the electricity. The Governor is firing on all cylinders, trucks were waiting for the moment the bridge opened. No wasted time, Desantis is showing what good leadership is all about.
DeSantis is not going to get any MSM credit for his leadership for obvious reasons. Maybe when this is over he will write a book… Lol, wrong Governor.

With that said, Sanibel island has now had three major hurricanes in the last 20 years that have created significant damage. For basically 6000 residents the amount of money that is being spent to rescue and reconstruct the island is prohibitive. Layer on that all of the supposed threats posed by global warming that will make this even more frequent. People will rebuild on their own nickel, but the amount of taxpayer money that is dropped each storm to rebuild roads and infrastructure… Is it really worth it?

Reactions: SHUSA and Pirata
There are public beaches (fee based) on Sanibel and Captiva that serve the public. We used to go to Captiva a bunch.

That being said, I'd like to see some more skin in the game for the property and business owners.

DeSantis is not going to get any MSM credit for his leadership for obvious reasons. Maybe when this is over he will write a book… Lol, wrong Governor.

With that said, Sanibel island has now had three major hurricanes in the last 20 years that have created significant damage. For basically 6000 residents the amount of money that is being spent to rescue and reconstruct the island is prohibitive. Layer on that all of the supposed threats posed by global warming that will make this even more frequent. People will rebuild on their own nickel, but the amount of taxpayer money that is dropped each storm to rebuild roads and infrastructure… Is it really worth it?
Definitely agree, they should buy out the property owners and make it a National Park. They probably pay more than my mortgage payment for insurance each month. Fort Myers and Naples need to be rebuilt, I’m sure they will come back bigger and better than before. Jersey shore took a solid 10 years to recover, but I worry about the constant beach erosion. Seems to be getting worse each year.

Team building plays a crucial role in situations like these, and it's clear that Desantis understands its importance. The coordination and readiness of those trucks waiting for the bridge to open demonstrate a well-organized team working together towards a common goal. It's a great reminder that effective leadership involves fostering collaboration and trust within a team. On a slightly unrelated note, I recently came across some fascinating discussions on team building malaysia. It seems like there's a lot of emphasis on fostering strong bonds and improving communication among team members. It's intriguing to see how different cultures approach team dynamics.

Last edited:
he should focus more on this and leas on disney and trans people. he does some great things but doesnt let that do the talking.

Hall85 brings up a good point. when do you call a spade a spade and realize youre throwing taxpayer money into a burning pit

DeSantis made some very bold decisions during the pandemic that ended up being the right ones. He also as noted above has done a great job leading the state through disasters like the hurricane damage.

Disney was wrong to go the woke route and he used them to make an example, but IMO, he won the battle and should just let it go now.

Governors typically make the best Presidents as they have to manage a budget and leadership team. And in the case of DeSantis, he has turned a purple state back to red. Who could have done that?

He has so much going for him, all he needs to do is beat down any woke legislation in Florida. No need to initiate anti-woke laws.

DeSantis made some very bold decisions during the pandemic that ended up being the right ones. He also as noted above has done a great job leading the state through disasters like the hurricane damage.

Disney was wrong to go the woke route and he used them to make an example, but IMO, he won the battle and should just let it go now.

Governors typically make the best Presidents as they have to manage a budget and leadership team. And in the case of DeSantis, he has turned a purple state back to red. Who could have done that?

He has so much going for him, all he needs to do is beat down any woke legislation in Florida. No need to initiate anti-woke laws.
I got beat up on this board for saying Governors make the best Presidents but totally agree with this point. He is not an in your face type of guy, Disney needed a wake-up call in my opinion. The problem I see is them raising their prices which they have been doing anyway but then blaming him. Disney has become so dam expensive. Guy I sit with at SHU games took the family grand kids etc. I believe 10 people and spent over $30,000 for one week staying on site.
Crazy!

Disney is a giant souvenir stand.

Everything from hotels to meals to park tickets is overpriced.

A few years ago I took the backstage tour which got me underground and gave me understanding for their operation.

The entire property is designed as an illusion to transport you to an alternate universe designed to help you part with your dollars.

They stive to get you captivated by the "magic" and then spend accordingly.

They strap the RFID device to your wrist which allows you to spend money without even realizing you are spending it. Ingenious use of technology to improve their bottom line.

If you go to the park you should take note at how many souvenirs they have place at a height which is perfect for a 4 10-year-old to see

Last edited:
Can we still call it the happiest place on earth when customers are brawling?

The model was starting to fall apart, which is why they brought Iger back. Totally stupid move to take a position on the woke agenda.

Disney was wrong to go the woke route and he used them to make an example,

I agree, but shouldn't that be for consumers to decide and not politicians picking public fights with the company?

It really seems like this comes down to vindictiveness between the two. His skin is too thin right now.

Reactions: SHUSA
I got beat up on this board for saying Governors make the best Presidents but totally agree with this point. He is not an in your face type of guy, Disney needed a wake-up call in my opinion. The problem I see is them raising their prices which they have been doing anyway but then blaming him. Disney has become so dam expensive. Guy I sit with at SHU games took the family grand kids etc. I believe 10 people and spent over $30,000 for one week staying on site.
Crazy!
a private company can make their prices what they want. they shouldnt be blamed for idiots shelling out $30k in a week. nobody is forcing them to go.

I agree, but shouldn't that be for consumers to decide and not politicians picking public fights with the company?

It really seems like this comes down to vindictiveness between the two. His skin is too thin right now.
Disney started the “fight” by coming out publicly against the legislation. Really a dumb move on their part as they ran the risk of alienating a segment of their customer base. They became an easy mark for DeSantis so we went after them.

He won the fight at that point and just should have left it there. He’s got a great record to run on. This is all a distraction now.

I don’t see how you can call him thin-skinned after everything he did during the pandemic. It’s not clear to me now. What Lainie is trying to carve out for himself and how that will project nationally.

Disney is a giant souvenir stand.

Everything from hotels to meals to park tickets is overpriced.

A few years ago I took the backstage tour which got me underground and gave me understanding for their operation.

The entire property is designed as an illusion to transport you to an alternate universe designed to help you part with your dollars.

They stive to get you captivated by the "magic" and then spend accordingly.

They strap the RFID device to your wrist which allows you to spend money without even realizing you are spending it. Ingenious use of technology to improve their bottom line.

If you go to the park you should take note at how many souvenirs they have place at a height which is perfect for a 4 10-year-old to see

To each their own. It’s expensive but I don’t regret going at all. I loved having my kids there at an age when it was “magical” for them.

Disney started the “fight” by coming out publicly against the legislation. Really a dumb move on their part as they ran the risk of alienating a segment of their customer base.

Freedom of speech. They are allowed to alienate their customers if that’s the path they want to go. there are certain companies I choose not to do business with. That’s my choice but I would not support a Murphy targeting them for political reasons.

I don’t see how you can call him thin-skinned after everything he did during the pandemic.

Thin skinned is attacking a corporation because they spoke out against your law. Nikki Hayley was right in her criticism the. Biggest employer in the state, get on the phone and work it out.

His pandemic response was good and he was correct on schools being open. Though the reason his state was on the lower end of Covid deaths and ended up at the higher end is party because of him playing into the anti vax nonsense.

Freedom of speech. They are allowed to alienate their customers if that’s the path they want to go. there are certain companies I choose not to do business with. That’s my choice but I would not support a Murphy targeting them for political reasons.
Freedom of speech. They are free to make that decision as was DeSantis to respond. Does free speech only go one way?
Thin skinned is attacking a corporation because they spoke out against your law. Nikki Hayley was right in her criticism the. Biggest employer in the state, get on the phone and work it out.
It was a political move on his part to make Disney look like the bad guy, which worked.
His pandemic response was good and he was correct on schools being open. Though the reason his state was on the lower end of Covid deaths and ended up at the higher end is party because of him playing into the anti vax nonsense.
His decisions balanced safety and keeping the economy running. Handled the management of nursing homes and elderly better as well.

Freedom of speech. They are free to make that decision as was DeSantis to respond. Does free speech only go one way?

Targeting the company with legislative action is not “speech”.

This could and should have all been worked out over the phone or over a few meetings and the public would have never known anything about it… but then Desantis wouldn’t get the culture war credentials he wants.

Reactions: dehere23
he should focus more on this and leas on disney and trans people. he does some great things but doesnt let that do the talking.

Hall85 brings up a good point. when do you call a spade a spade and realize youre throwing taxpayer money into a burning pit
Part of that is media coverage, though. The Disney stuff gets headlines (I don't like it, either). Still, you have to be living under a rock the past 3 years to not get how well this guy's done as governor of that state. He stands out. When I hear Gavin Newsome try and critique him, I laugh because I can't believe any sane person, of any political affiliation, giving any credence to that. Of all the Governors, that guy trying to compare himself to DeSantis.

I've given up trying to track the COVID death numbers. There is so much fabrication, so many scenarios in which folks manipulate data to get to the point they want to make. His state has a large elderly population, so I would have thought they'd have gotten hit worse than many others. Regardless, he was right on the schools, allowing businesses to stay open and flourish, and generally not blindly following any particular agenda, but making common sense decisions when most everyone else (especially in other big states) were not (and seemed to be motivated by certain special interest groups, most notably the teachers union).

I never viewed him as anti-vax. Maybe he played to some of that crowd for political purposes. I thought his whole approach on the vaccine was to make it available, to acknowledge he got it, but to ultimately say it is an individualized decision depending on one's personal situation. Which, again, I think is common sense.

Reactions: HALL85
To each their own. It’s expensive but I don’t regret going at all. I loved having my kids there at an age when it was “magical” for them.
I love it too. The reaction from my two older kids when they went the first time was awesome (my littlest hasn't been). It is expensive, and can be really expensive if you go about it a certain way. But one of those memories worth the price of admission for me.

Reactions: Merge
I love it too. The reaction from my two older kids when they went the first time was awesome (my littlest hasn't been). It is expensive, and can be really expensive if you go about it a certain way. But one of those memories worth the price of admission for me.
It’s perfectly legal.
This could and should have all been worked out over the phone or over a few meetings and the public would have never known anything about it… but then Desantis wouldn’t get the culture war credentials he wants.
Exactly. Disney put a big target on themselves. Like any politician, he will use the opportunity to promote his agenda. Do you think the welcome he gave Biden after the hurricane had a purpose?

a private company can make their prices what they want. they shouldnt be blamed for idiots shelling out $30k in a week. nobody is forcing them to go.
Totally agree with you on this point, but as a marketing person my whole life it seems stupid to over-price a family experience. I was a Yankee season ticket holder for years and decided to sit it out when prices went through the roof. Now I get offers for free and discounted tickets all the time. Not disagreeing nobody forcing you to go, I’m saying it’s a bad marketing plan in my opinion but yes they are free to execute a bad marketing plan. They are laying off employees and bringing back the last CEO so appears they are recognizing the damage they did.

We really don’t know exactly how this played out maybe he tried to worked it out over the phone and Disney played hard ball. My point is we don’t have all the details only here say. He claims he asked them to stay out of the politics and they refused. Media can say whatever they want on both sides. Listen for buzz words may have, could have, appears. Maybe simplier than we think.

It’s perfectly legal.

I didn’t say it was illegal. I said he was thin skinned and targeted the company because of something they said. This is a thread about his leadership and on the Disney issue specifically, targeting a company because you’re mad they said something about your bill is weak. He’s going to get hit during the primary for that and rightfully so.

Surprised any “limited government” person here would be on board with what he did.

I didn’t say it was illegal. I said he was thin skinned and targeted the company because of something they said. This is a thread about his leadership and on the Disney issue specifically, targeting a company because you’re mad they said something about your bill is weak. He’s going to get hit during the primary for that and rightfully so.

Surprised any “limited government” person here would be on board with what he did.
You keep missing the point. He did it for political reasons, not because he’s thin skinned. He used Disney as an example.

Once he won that battle, he should have moved on.

We really don’t know exactly how this played out maybe he tried to worked it out over the phone and Disney played hard ball. My point is we don’t have all the details only here say. He claims he asked them to stay out of the politics and they refused. Media can say whatever they want on both sides. Listen for buzz words may have, could have, appears. Maybe simplier than we think.

Iger took over months ago. Desantis has not talked to him.

If a company criticized Murphy and he responded with legislation targeting that company you guys would be attacking him for it and rightfully so.

You can cheer for what Desantis did as a part of the culture war, but in my opinion it’s not played out well for him and his primary opponents will target him for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sussexcopirate
You keep missing the point. He did it for political reasons, not because he’s thin skinned. He used Disney as an example.

Once he won that battle, he should have moved on.

Legislation for “political reasons” … How are you ok with that?

He could have had political wins without attacking the company through legislation. Republicans have targeted him for his thin skin and will continue to do so because it’s true and will only become more evident with more attention on him.

Let’s remember that the “Don’t Say Gay Bill” was not proposed by DeSantis, nor did he even initially support it. The name the MSM gave it is meant to trigger which it did. Disney bit the hook and made a huge mistake coming out against it. Personally, I don’t want schools discussing or encouraging conversations with children about sexual orientation or assignment. That’s the job of a parent…period.

Disney paid the price for a bad decision. As I said earlier, DeSantis should take the win and move on.

Reactions: SHallguy2 and shu09
Let’s remember that the “Don’t Say Gay Bill” was not proposed by DeSantis, nor did he even initially support it. The name the MSM gave it is meant to trigger which it did. Disney bit the hook and made a huge mistake coming out against it. Personally, I don’t want schools discussing or encouraging conversations with children about sexual orientation or assignment. That’s the job of a parent…period.

Disney paid the price for a bad decision. As I said earlier, DeSantis should take the win and move on.

I agree Disney was wrong in their stance on the issue.
Part of freedom of speech is that they are allowed to say dumb things and take dumb stances. Their customers then get to decide if they want to do business with that company.

I don’t agree a governor should target a company with legislation because that company said something stupid.

Where did all of the “limited government” people here go?

I agree Disney was wrong in their stance on the issue.
Part of freedom of speech is that they are allowed to say dumb things and take dumb stances. Their customers then get to decide if they want to do business with that company.

I don’t agree a governor should target a company with legislation because that company said something stupid.

Where did all of the “limited government” people here go?
How many times do I have to repeat myself? He took the stand for political purposes. Disney gave him the reason to come out and publicly support the legislation. They became the target. Rather than parents that may have opposed the legislation. You should understand that.

And what are you talking about regarding “limited government”?

How many times do I have to repeat myself? He took the stand for political purposes. Disney gave him the reason to come out and publicly support the legislation. They became the target. Rather than parents that may have opposed the legislation. You should understand that.

….“taking a stand” and finding ways to attack Disney with legislation are not remotely close to being the same.

Having a political fight is fine. I have no issue with politicians criticizing Anheuser Busch, or Nike or Disney or whoever they want. Targeting them with legislation just because they were critical of a bill is different.

The government attacking corporations through legislative measures because they didn't like them using their freedom of speech. None of you here would be ok with it if it was a democratic governor going after corporation for supporting a right wing cause.

government meddling with private enterprise because they disagree over personal opinions. thats what this is

Reactions: Robot_Man
….“taking a stand” and finding ways to attack Disney with legislation are not remotely close to being the same.

Having a political fight is fine. I have no issue with politicians criticizing Anheuser Busch, or Nike or Disney or whoever they want. Targeting them with legislation just because they were critical of a bill is different.
Once again, I will repeat the point you keep missing. He used them BECAUSE they took a stand. They became an easy target to allow him to address a piece of legislation without attacking voters. Should I continue to cut and paste this again and again?
The government attacking corporations through legislative measures because they didn't like them using their freedom of speech. None of you here would be ok with it if it was a democratic governor going after corporation for supporting a right wing cause.
I agree with you here, which, once again, I have said in previous posts. He made the point by using them as an example and won that decisively. There was no need to propose further legislation.

Once again, I will repeat the point you keep missing. He used them BECAUSE they took a stand. They became an easy target to allow him to address a piece of legislation without attacking voters. Should I continue to cut and paste this again and again?
I don't agree that legislation should be used as a weapon against a specific business. The free market will take care of Disney if they choose.

Has nothing to do with leadership. Sounds like it was a political fumble. That matters to some and is part of the pomp and circumstance marketing stuff that is politics. Leadership is how you respond to a pandemic. How you govern a state. At least to me, that’s the stuff that matters.

Certainly stuff like that didn’t sway people away from voting for Biden. Because the guy is a gaffe machine and campaigned in a bunker. It was a political mess. Yet People voted for him because of stuff he did in the past they liked and because he wasn’t Trump.

Reactions: shu09
Has nothing to do with leadership. Sounds like it was a political fumble. That matters to some and is part of the pomp and circumstance marketing stuff that is politics. Leadership is how you respond to a pandemic. How you govern a state. At least to me, that’s the stuff that matters.

Certainly stuff like that didn’t sway people away from voting for Biden. Because the guy is a gaffe machine and campaigned in a bunker. It was a political mess. Yet People voted for him because of stuff he did in the past they liked and because he wasn’t Trump.
No. Gaffes are screwing up a word or sentence. 21 minutes of music going off, silence and just things not working screams not ready for prime time. Pretty pathetic. No other way to spin this.

dehere just remember, this is the guy who voted against us in New Jersey for Sandy Funding. Just remember that. That is leadership? Hardly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT