ADVERTISEMENT

This is what leadership looks like

Has nothing to do with leadership. Sounds like it was a political fumble. That matters to some and is part of the pomp and circumstance marketing stuff that is politics. Leadership is how you respond to a pandemic. How you govern a state. At least to me, that’s the stuff that matters.

Certainly stuff like that didn’t sway people away from voting for Biden. Because the guy is a gaffe machine and campaigned in a bunker. It was a political mess. Yet People voted for him because of stuff he did in the past they liked and because he wasn’t Trump.
DeSantis has a record of accomplishments and an impressive resume. Ultimately he is going to need to answer the tough questions on a national stage and he’ll be judged by that.

Thinking a technical glitch has anything to do with his leadership is silly, but consider the source.

No. Gaffes are screwing up a word or sentence. 21 minutes of music going off, silence and just things not working screams not ready for prime time. Pretty pathetic. No other way to spin this.

dehere just remember, this is the guy who voted against us in New Jersey for Sandy Funding. Just remember that. That is leadership? Hardly
I don’t care about spinning anything because I have zero affiliation with any political party. It’s fine you do, I just don’t personally.

I don’t know enough about the Sandy funding stuff. What I know is the single biggest thing that impacted my young kids, my friends and family over the past 3 years - and especially my young elementary school age kids - this guy was good on. Better than the guy who runs this state. Better than pretty much everyone else. And apparently the voters in his state agree, because he went from squeaking out an election against a weak candidate with the D power brokers behind him to absolutely destroying the field and winning counties R’s haven’t won in decades.

Reactions: shu09
DeSantis has a record of accomplishments and an impressive resume. Ultimately he is going to need to answer the tough questions on a national stage and he’ll be judged by that.

Thinking a technical glitch has anything to do with his leadership is silly, but consider the source.
I don’t care about spinning anything because I have zero affiliation with any political party. It’s fine you do, I just don’t personally.

I don’t know enough about the Sandy funding stuff. What I know is the single biggest thing that impacted my young kids, my friends and family over the past 3 years - and especially my young elementary school age kids - this guy was good on. Better than the guy who runs this state. Better than pretty much everyone else. And apparently the voters in his state agree, because he went from squeaking out an election against a weak candidate with the D power brokers behind him to absolutely destroying the field and winning counties R’s haven’t won in decades.
So you liven Florida? So his decisions impacted your kids?
Or you don't? Because if you have kids, you wouldn't put them in public school there because public schools in Florida are awful. And yes DeSantis voted against Sandy Funding not once but twice.

So you liven Florida? So his decisions impacted your kids?
Or you don't? Because if you have kids, you wouldn't put them in public school there because public schools in Florida are awful. And yes DeSantis voted against Sandy Funding not once but twice.
I don't live in Florida. Born and bred downstate NY/Bergen County guy. All my roots are here, and I love everything about it except for the governance. Until recently, I could never imagine living anywhere else.

Of course, his decisions did not impact my kids because they go to school here in Bergen. I wish he was in charge of our state during COVID. 75% of my law firm is based in Florida, spread throughout the state. Colleagues and dear friends. Their kids did not get screwed by BS ridiculous COVID policies that lasted too long and were non-sensical once we got past May/June 2020. And they didn't see businesses around them get destroyed. We did.

Yes, I know the reputation around Florida public schools. Some of my colleagues send their kids to private schools, but increasingly many are going the public route. Many of them are staunch Democrats who literally never voted for a Republican in their lives until DeSantis. Again, it isn't me saying he's popular. The results of his last election do that.

I'm not tribal when it comes to this stuff. Have voted for more D's for President than R's. But grass is green, whether its a Republican, Democrat or independent. Tribalism tends to blind that -- look at all the R's that fall in line behind Trump who shouldn't in a normal world have a chance in freaking hell at getting that nomination.

No. Gaffes are screwing up a word or sentence. 21 minutes of music going off, silence and just things not working screams not ready for prime time. Pretty pathetic. No other way to spin this.

His mistake was trusting Elon.
Those of you who have ever used twitter spaces knew that’s not the platform for this type of announcement. He would have been able to draw a significant crowd for this where he could show people being excited for him running, but chooses the complete opposite?

Hopefully Elon promises a boatload of cash to his PACs to do it on twitter.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education
Should we believe cern or US News & World Report?

Too funny

Florida is ranked #1 because of their college graduation rates and affordability. Should at least just compare k-12 for context on Cerns point.
NJ #1. Floria #14

NAEP scores
NJ reading #1
NJ Math #7

Florida reading #21
Florida Math #32

Seems to help Cerns point. Did you even read that link? Too funny…

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education
Should we believe cern or US News & World Report?

Too funny

Perhaps Forbes has it right.

https://scholaroo.com/report/state-education-rankings/ perhaps this ranking is right.

I know many people in Florida and they could not send their kids to public schools because they were not very good. That US News ranking would shock anyone living in Florida.

Florida is ranked #1 because of their college graduation rates and affordability. Should at least just compare k-12 for context on Cerns point.
NJ #1. Floria #14

NAEP scores
NJ reading #1
NJ Math #7

Florida reading #21
Florida Math #32

Seems to help Cerns point. Did you even read that link? Too funny…
Nice job cherry picking. The US News report has Florida ranked #14 Pre-K to 12 at #14 which is what matters.

They also do a better job of making college affordable for high school students that choose to stay in-state.

I never compared them to New Jersey. cern made an false claim about their education system, which is supported by the report I referenced.

You're not as funny as cern....

Of course, his decisions did not impact my kids because they go to school here in Bergen. I wish he was in charge of our state during COVID. 75% of my law firm is based in Florida, spread throughout the state. Colleagues and dear friends. Their kids did not get screwed by BS ridiculous COVID policies that lasted too long and were non-sensical once we got past May/June 2020. And they didn't see businesses around them get destroyed. We did.

I agree with you on schools, but the second part is just really not correct. Florida had plenty of small business closures just like every other state.

Nice job cherry picking. The US News report has Florida ranked #14 Pre-K to 12 at #14 which is what matters.

They also do a better job of making college affordable for high school students that choose to stay in-state.

I never compared them to New Jersey. cern made an false claim about their education system, which is supported by the report I referenced.

You're not as funny as cern....

Ah yes… the old cherry picking of test scores.
And leaving out the important stuff like pre-k enrollment.

“Honey, let’s put out kids in Florida schools, their test scores aren’t great but their pre-k enrollment is solid.”

• Haha
Reactions: sussexcopirate

Perhaps Forbes has it right.

https://scholaroo.com/report/state-education-rankings/ perhaps this ranking is right.

I know many people in Florida and they could not send their kids to public schools because they were not very good. That US News ranking would shock anyone living in Florida.
Florida schools were always terrible but if you think about it lots of people moving down from our area (North) had to help. I have two friends who moved down when their kids were young. One friends wife got on the school board and the other friend was very active himself. FYI one was liberal and the other conservative. We all want the same things for our kids. The liberal wife was more conservative than anyone when it came to her kids.

Reactions: cernjSHU and HALL85
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_DeSantis

If we are looking at leadership, resume and results, there is probably not going to be anywhere near as an accomplished candidate on either side. But at the end of the day, he has to convince the American public that he is the guy. It's early, but IMO, he is going to have to demonstrate a more centrist view on abortion and overcome the six-week ban that was proposed by the FL legislation and he signed.

+ Yale grad, Harvard law top of the class
+ Military veteran, who served in Iraq and decorated with the Bronze Star, Commendation Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal and others
+ As governor navigated the pandemic better than pretty much every other state resulting in Florida with the biggest surplus in history, a 2% unemployment rate and leading state that people are moving.
+ And he broke through in the Hispanic community and won in a landslide in a purple state.
+ Has some interesting positions "No budget, No pay" for Congress and eliminating Congressional pensions.

We can debate his positions and likeability, but to question his leadership and accomplishments or call him "thin-skinned" is laughable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_DeSantis

If we are looking at leadership, resume and results, there is probably not going to be anywhere near as an accomplished candidate on either side. But at the end of the day, he has to convince the American public that he is the guy. It's early, but IMO, he is going to have to demonstrate a more centrist view on abortion and overcome the six-week ban that was proposed by the FL legislation and he signed.

+ Yale grad, Harvard law top of the class
+ Military veteran, who served in Iraq and decorated with the Bronze Star, Commendation Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal and others
+ As governor navigated the pandemic better than pretty much every other state resulting in Florida with the biggest surplus in history, a 2% unemployment rate and leading state that people are moving.
+ And he broke through in the Hispanic community and won in a landslide in a purple state.
+ Has some interesting positions "No budget, No pay" for Congress and eliminating Congressional pensions.

We can debate his positions and likeability, but to question his leadership and accomplishments or call him "thin-skinned" is laughable.

He’s cooked. Should have waited till the next cycle. Also way too much establishment money behind him now. When Singer and Griffin are behind you I grow concerned.

Your other favorite for the nomination disagrees, and she was correct here.

Good to see you are a fan of Haley now. Wow, a politician using words to demean a competitor...that hasn't been done before.

I guess taking on unpopular views, implementing them (and being successful) from COVID was a thin skinned move.....lol

Largely agree with you, but the entire response to that virus was non-sensical from the very beginning, not May/June 2020. It was known in the winter of 2020 that the virus did not affect children severely and that 80% or more of overall cases were mild, not requiring advanced treatment.

The world power brokers used this virus to re-shape society (not in a good way) and massively increase government power. Nearly everyone fell for it, though there were voices from the very beginning who called out the lies and deception.

Good to see you are a fan of Haley now. Wow, a politician using words to demean a competitor...that hasn't been done before.

Been saying the same thing for months. Hayley is a better choice.

Tend to disagree on that. I think she has a very good chance. Desantis will fade eventually. He just doesn’t have the temperament or charisma needed. Haley, along with checking all of the experience boxes you’d want has both.

Glad we agree on that one. I like Haley a lot as you know given that she was a Governor (managed a budget and organization effectively), along with her U.N. position and story. Earned everything she has gotten. Would love to see her as the first female President as well. She needs to listen to Nancy Mace on how to discuss the abortion issue, but other than that, she is incredibly poised and likeable.

Been telling you that Haley was a better candidate longer than that.

I like Desantis, his resume is impeccable for a president but his recent skirmishes have come off as far too authoritarian. I don't like that but it puts him right there with other authoritarians like Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, and on and on and on.

You talking about limited government now is a little precious, isn't it, LOL?

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
Been telling you that Haley was a better candidate longer than that.

I like Desantis, his resume is impeccable for a president but his recent skirmishes have come off as far too authoritarian. I don't like that but it puts him right there with other authoritarians like Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, and on and on and on.

You talking about limited government now is a little precious, isn't it, LOL?

I'm pro limited government except in areas where the free market can't or won't act in the interest of the population. We'd generally agree except for where that line goes.

Just find it hard to see anyone who pushes for limited government supporting Desantis, but we all make concessions in our votes. He has appeal with how he handled Covid and that he goes all in on the culture war, so if that's your thing, go for it. I think there will be better choices but it's still probably going to end up being Trump anyway.

I think there will be better choices but it's still probably going to end up being Trump anyway.
You know darn well it will be Biden v. Trump again. What we should really look at though this time is their vice president picks as there is a good chance neither would finish out their terms. Harris is nowhere near qualified to run this country. The rumored Trump pick of Stefanik is also unqualified to run this country. At least Pence was qualified.

You know darn well it will be Biden v. Trump again. What we should really look at though this time is their vice president picks as there is a good chance neither would finish out their terms. Harris is nowhere near qualified to run this country. The rumored Trump pick of Stefanik is also unqualified to run this country. At least Pence was qualified.

Agree with all of that.

Reactions: SPK145
Another example of great leadership of DeSantis. When asked whether He would consider pardoning Jan 6 insurrectionists and Trump.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday that, if elected president, he would consider pardoning some of those convicted on charges related to the deadly Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.
Hosts of the conservative “The Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show” asked DeSantis if he thinks Jan. 6 defendants “deserve to have their cases examined by a Republican president,” and whether he would pardon former president Donald Trump if he were “charged with federal offenses.” DeSantis said that on his first day in office, he would “have folks that will get together and look at all these cases.”

• Haha
Reactions: sussexcopirate
I don't think it will be Biden v. Trump again.
I agree.

I don’t buy that Trump is an automatic nominee for the Republicans. What if he gets out of the gate in the fiirst four primaries trailing and wounded? Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina. Those are not givens and there is a list of candidates that were significantly in the lead (Hillary, Gingrich, Giuliani for example.). If he goes into Super Tuesday trailing bad and loses momentum….National polls mean little right now.

And if Trump gets iced out early, the Rep field is wide open. And if it looks like Trump is done, I can’t imagine Joe would stay in as he’d get crushed by any other Rep nominee.

Yep. Trump is definitely not an automatic nominee and don't be so sure that Biden is either.

I put Trump's odds of being the nominee at 25% and Biden's at 60%.

Yep. Trump is definitely not an automatic nominee and don't be so sure that Biden is either.

I put Trump's odds of being the nominee at 25% and Biden's at 60%.
You are delirious. Trump wins and the only thing that can derail him is a federal indictment.

Says noted Republican cernjSHU. LOL!!!
Didn't know that you had to be a Republican to predict who will win the Republican Presidential nomination. I know politics and have been consistent with my prediction and Trump wins in a landslide unless derailed by DOJ indictment. The Georgia Indictment may do it as well. And quite possible both may not matter to Republican voters.

With regard to the Manhattan case, I think it is pretty weak and I believe he will not be convicted. So I discount that case as something that could stop him,

Last edited:
Didn't know that you had to be a Republican to predict who will win the Republican Presidential nomination. I know politics and have been consistent with my prediction and Trump wins in a landslide unless derailed by DOJ indictment. The Georgia Indictment may do it as well. And quite possible both may not matter to Republican voters.

With regard to the Manhattan case, I think it is pretty weak and I believe he will not be convicted. So I discount that case as something that could stop him,
So here’s a question for you. As a Democrat, do you hope that he doesn’t get indicted so he is the candidate?

My prediction is he will not be the nominee, with or without an indictment.

So here’s a question for you. As a Democrat, do you hope that he doesn’t get indicted so he is the candidate?
I don't want him to be the candidate. He is a dangerous and un-American. Despite the fact that Biden probably beats him, as an American and for the good of the country, I do not want to see him as the candidate. So I do hope he gets indicted by the DOJ.

If that means the White House goes Republican, so be it. Then I hope it is a normal Republican. Not Donald Trump lite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT