ADVERTISEMENT

Title IX will apply to college athlete revenue share, feds say

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

• Paula Lavigne
  • Dan Murphy

An official for the U.S. Department of Education, the federal enforcer of gender equity in sports, said Title IX rules will apply to future revenue dollars that schools share with college athletes, but the department declined to offer guidance on how schools should distribute the money between men and women to comply with the broad language of the law.

"Schools must provide equal athletic opportunities based on sex, including with respect to benefits, opportunities, publicity, and recruitment, and must not discriminate in the provision of financial aid," Catherine Lhamon, the assistant secretary for the department's Office for Civil Rights, said in a written statement to ESPN. "In the new NIL environment, these same principles apply."....................

• Wow
Reactions: walshtrips
My prediction is that basketball only schools will fare much better than football schools, should the revenue be required to be shared equally between male and female athletes.

The real downside is that many school will reduce the number of scholarship sports.

My prediction is that basketball only schools will fare much better than football schools, should the revenue be required to be shared equally between male and female athletes.

The real downside is that many school will reduce the number of scholarship sports.
My prediction is only football schools survive. Minimum number of sports to be D1 will go away. Sports that survive will be low number of participants like tennis has a better chance of surviving than baseball. This is what happens when you make rules for the top 1%. It's great the Zion Williamson's of the world will get paid, but the regular good college athlete who will go pro in something other than sports will be coming out of college with debt. Brilliant.

Reactions: catholicman
My prediction is only football schools survive. Minimum number of sports to be D1 will go away. Sports that survive will be low number of participants like tennis has a better chance of surviving than baseball. This is what happens when you make rules for the top 1%. It's great the Zion Williamson's of the world will get paid, but the regular good college athlete who will go pro in something other than sports will be coming out of college with debt. Brilliant.
Men's sports will be cut back, but football scholarships just went up to 105. That means that 105 scholarship opportunities have to be provided for women's sports to balance football. And, apparently, those 105 women's athletes will share equally in revenue distribution. I guess the question is is that the revenue of a particular sport or an entire athletic department? I suspect that many women's sports, exclusive basketball, don't produce material revenue. For that matter, neither do most men's Olympic sports.

Schools would still be required to sponsor 14 D1 sports minimum. They can’t, and shouldn’t, get rid of everyone.

How do Army-Navy divide their shares?
I know they are not allowed to make NIL deals.... I believe that service academy athletes will not receive any revenue sharing either. They do receive a monthly salary / stipend from which they pay for uniforms , laundry, etc. Not much left over after all expenses are taken out.

Somewhat off topic, but FYI..... USNA (Navy)..... has a totally self sufficient Athletic budget. No govt money. Army and Air Force Academy get government money which is why when there is a government shut down, Navy games are not impacted and Army / Air Force have games canceled.

Last edited:
This is key. If you can't afford to fund the required number of D1 sports, that could be curtains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT