ADVERTISEMENT

Tough game for Wusu

The issue, again, is hero ball.

Once SHU went up 10, I got worried they would just sit back. And they did.

Bediako was pretty bad. The team was bad. The entire offense had 7 assists and most of the passing was the handoffs on the perimeter.

The only good pass was the Brown no look to EHE who fumbled it.

The Wusu issue was not only did he have the horrid shooting night, he just held the ball on offense or just completely took plays off on the perimeter. Like he didn’t want to be there tonight at all.

It’s a bad loss to a very average team.

The whole team looked disjointed and looked like they haven’t slept in two nights.

butler/sju was his best week here.

I'm talking about his career at St. John's. Never thought he was any good there and was disappointed when we got him. That said, he has had some good games this season.

Reactions: mbraue
I'm talking about his career at St. John's. Never thought he was any good there and was disappointed when we got him. That said, he has had some good games this season.
he plays really hard. generally defense makes him effective enough when he doesnt need to take too many shots.

his floor is clearly much lower than his ceiling is high. and thats the problem, hes still out there trying but its almost worse sometimes.

Lol, good luck with that. Seton Hall media is conditioned to not ask any questions that the coach might find remotely offensive.
And our program is already insanely closed odd to anything. Sha doesn’t even address media before games.

Reactions: shu09
he plays really hard. generally defense makes him effective enough when he doesnt need to take too many shots.

his floor is clearly much lower than his ceiling is high. and thats the problem, hes still out there trying but its almost worse sometimes.
He does a lot of things plays hard. He’s an ideal 6th or 7th guy. A bit better than Femi Odukale.

Reactions: mbraue
And our program is already insanely closed odd to anything. Sha doesn’t even address media before games.

Look at what Creighton and Xavier do. Media at practice, weekly availabilities, transparency from sports information, etc. Then look at what we do. And then we wonder why we have a small. localized, niche fan base. Stuff like that matters.

Definitely trying and hustles but to me he is Molson part 2 as a player.

with maybe one of the worst games ive ever seen in a pirate uniform. we have completely polarizing players that can nuke any game at any time. i dont think our team is in bad shape still but need to start winning.

0/13 with 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. that end sequence was cosmic.
And multiple turnovers to Dre on several bad entry passes down low.

An ugly game for Dylan, but hopefully he will bounce back. Kadary makes everyone look better - only 6 assists tonight without him tells the story. No playmakers in the starting lineup.

Even on his good days he’s a below average offensive player. When your struggling to score might want to lean towards players who can actually make a basketX
Like who? Outside of Dawes and Coleman tonight, who was going to get you a bucket? Dre badly missed one of his trademark fallaway jumpers late in the game and he was wide open. Once they took Dawes away, we had nothing else going for us. Sanders has been a zero. Not sure there was another option other than Wusu finding his shot. He missed some wide open shots. Just didn’t have it. Not many did tonight.

And truthfully, I blame Sha for taking his foot off the gas up 51-41. He subbed out both Bediako and Dre. EHE and Tubek should not be on the court at the same time. I thought EHE was a defensive liability. He can’t hedge like Bediako. Sha has to adjust his defense with EHE on the floor. Tubek was absolutely lost on both sides of the ball. Sha was asked about it and had his reasons but he was wrong. He had to ride his starters to the end and use his timeouts strategically. Those minutes lost us the game. Not Wusu.

Doubling down— Tubek should have been pulled after one trip up and down the floor. He didn’t know where he was supposed to be on offense resulting in terrible spacing and lost possessions. Defensively, he left his man not once, but twice. He clearly didn’t know what his role was tonight. By the time Sha got Bediako and Dre back in the game, it was too late. Back to the drawing board.

It was obvious the 2nd unit was struggling in the 2nd half. He needed a TO when we were up 5 after some bad trips at both ends, to put the starters back in… Coleman did not go in for Sanders until under 6 min mark… and the lead had vanished…

Marq will be a tough trip. But get DePaul and GTown that gets us to 8-4. Go 4-4 or 5-3 after that and we should be ok

Reactions: ShoreGold
Seems like everyone was caught by surprise here. You just hope this doesn’t derail the season. Time for leaders to lead.

This result should not have been a surprise. When we met them 3 weeks ago both teams were relatively equal until they lost their star player. They’ve had 3 weeks to adjust to playing without him we had 3 hours.
We will probably take our lumps with or without Richmond this weekend then have to get back to beating the teams we are supposed to beat and sneak in an upset or 2.
Lets not jump off the ship just yet…

Yes there is a lot of blame to go around and we have to add that we don't know why KR waited to 3 PM on Game day to say there was a problem. If he hurt his back or something else then he knew right after the Creighton game he was in trouble. If he had told Sha then we would have had more time to prepare. aiting to the last minute is NOT being responsible to the team and coach.

Regarding Dylan he is as tough as they come. He can't jump very high, is not that fast, does not dribble that well, does not pass that well, has no length, but he is a fighter, hard nosed, hustles plays hard and a great kid to have to go into battle with. He won't back down from any one. Love his fight. He just needs to be utilized properly given his limitations and strengths.

Reactions: rocketman127
His shot selection and turnovers down the stretch were brutal too.

It was obvious the 2nd unit was struggling in the 2nd half. He needed a TO when we were up 5 after some bad trips at both ends, to put the starters back in… Coleman did not go in for Sanders until under 6 min mark… and the lead had vanished…

Marq will be a tough trip. But get DePaul and GTown that gets us to 8-4. Go 4-4 or 5-3 after that and we should be ok
That would be nice! I hope Richmond is okay!

It wasn’t one player. Gaines couldn’t miss for them. Bediako has been a beast inside but Oduro had his way inside tonight. We played iso ball. We had a 51-41 lead and didn’t use a timeout til it was 58-55. Lack of depth that we don’t trust the bench on a starter having an off night. Everyone needs to be better. DAW has been clutch on this run, he didn’t have his best game today but he didn’t lose the game for us. Kudos to both teams 16-17 from the line.
IMO, three plays in a row killed us. The Wusu three was a killer, but Coleman got a great pass underneath and couldn't finish, so did ehe, and so did JB, maybe on three consecutive possessions. We really needed these cause Al was making crazy shots and that could not last. But all three got stuffed, at least one for a pick six. Hey, it happens. Tough one. Too much one on one lately, same for the CU game. Al was heroic but you cant call his number so many times in a row, need to be named Kobe or Steph or MJ for that kind of duty.

IMO, three plays in a row killed us. The Wusu three was a killer, but Coleman got a great pass underneath and couldn't finish, so did ehe, and so did JB, maybe on three consecutive possessions. We really needed these cause Al was making crazy shots and that could not last. But all three got stuffed, at least one for a pick six. Hey, it happens. Tough one. Too much one on one lately, same for the CU game. Al was heroic but you cant call his number so many times in a row, need to be named Kobe or Steph or MJ for that kind of duty.
All big plays. But for me, we couldn't stop Oduro. To me that was the game. Bediako has quietly dominated the paint the last 3 weeks. I don't think Bediako played poorly at all, just Oduro was better. Bediako battled. He's the toughest dude we've had in the paint in a while. He's becoming my favorite pirate to watch this year. Tip of the cap to Oduro, he won the paint last night which in my opinion won the game for PC.

What also killed us and I know I sound like a broken record but the game plans of our opponents are simple. Drag Bediako and EHE out and set a screen and then they will in error call a switch when not needed and the opposing big rolls to the basket to catch a pass and dunk or layup over a smaller SHU player.

We still don't learn to stop and pop and instead of getting caught under the basket with the other teams athletic bigs blocking shots. Should have learned this from the Creighton game!

Reactions: newshu1
What also killed us and I know I sound like a broken record but the game plans of our opponents are simple. Drag Bediako and EHE out and set a screen and then they will in error call a switch when not needed and the opposing big rolls to the basket to catch a pass and dunk or layup over a smaller SHU player.

We still don't learn to stop and pop and instead of getting caught under the basket with the other teams athletic bigs blocking shots. Should have learned this from the Creighton game!
Dawes stopped and popped all game.

Reactions: radecicco

This happened too much last night!

with maybe one of the worst games ive ever seen in a pirate uniform. we have completely polarizing players that can nuke any game at any time. i dont think our team is in bad shape still but need to start winning.

0/13 with 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. that end sequence was cosmic.
Wasu keeps us in games with defense and rebounding.Takes us out of games with shooting and turnovers.Last night was the latter.I'm sure Sha would have pulled him if he had someone else to put in.

Yes there is a lot of blame to go around and we have to add that we don't know why KR waited to 3 PM on Game day to say there was a problem. If he hurt his back or something else then he knew right after the Creighton game he was in trouble. If he had told Sha then we would have had more time to prepare. aiting to the last minute is NOT being responsible to the team and coach.

Regarding Dylan he is as tough as they come. He can't jump very high, is not that fast, does not dribble that well, does not pass that well, has no length, but he is a fighter, hard nosed, hustles plays hard and a great kid to have to go into battle with. He won't back down from any one. Love his fight. He just needs to be utilized properly given his limitations and strengths.
Not necessarily. He was probably hoping the soreness would go away by Saturday. He probably played thru the pain on Saturday against Creighton and it might've got worse throughout the week. Probably didn't want to disappoint his team by sitting out for the game against Creighton. Maybe he was hoping the soreness would go away by Wednesday, but when it was still an issue, he decided he needed more time and wouldn't be effective on the floor (or possibly make the injury recovery even worse by playing another 40 minutes yesterday). Only he knows.

Not necessarily. He was probably hoping the soreness would go away by Saturday. He probably played thru the pain on Saturday against Creighton and it might've got worse throughout the week. Probably didn't want to disappoint his team by sitting out for the game against Creighton. Maybe he was hoping the soreness would go away by Wednesday, but when it was still an issue, he decided he needed more time and wouldn't be effective on the floor (or possibly make the injury recovery even worse by playing another 40 minutes yesterday). Only he knows.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounded to me like he practiced the prior 2 days.

Reactions: Piratz
Sha’s decision to have Richmond on the floor at the end of a blowout win is what really lost this game for us.
Please stop with this. Soriano along with many key SJ players were on the court up 20 with one minute left playing hard vs Nova last night. As someone pointed out, how many times did Jay take his starters out up big playing against SHU? The answer: never! That’s the way the game is played, especially now with NET being so important.

Last edited:
Please stop with this. Soriano along with many key SJ players were on the court up 20 with one minute left playing hard vs Nova last night. As someone pointed out, how many times did Jay take his starters out up big playing against SHU? The answer: never! That’s the way the game is played, especially now with NET being so important.

You've posted this Soriano/SJU line six times on various threads today. We get it.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
Look at what Creighton and Xavier do. Media at practice, weekly availabilities, transparency from sports information, etc. Then look at what we do. And then we wonder why we have a small. localized, niche fan base. Stuff like that matters.
Not to mention Pitino. Galvanize the fan base!

With a healthy Richmond I am convinced SHU would have beat Creighton and also Providence.
Agreed. Last night so much one on one/pounding the ball and trying to score. Can’t think of many/any clean open looks we got with good ball movement. Kadary being out had a great deal to do with that, as we don’t have anyone else who really sees the whole floor and can distribute (7 assists for the whole game Last night).

I think it would have been nice if we could have gotten Dre Davis involved last night. He took just three shots in the second half and only two in the final 6:30 minutes.

Even Saturday, he took five shots in the second half and the first two OT periods before fouling out.

A 50% shooter going missing in the offense is as big a problem as players missing shots by the boat load.

The issue, again, is hero ball.

Once SHU went up 10, I got worried they would just sit back. And they did.

Bediako was pretty bad. The team was bad. The entire offense had 7 assists and most of the passing was the handoffs on the perimeter.

The only good pass was the Brown no look to EHE who fumbled it.

The Wusu issue was not only did he have the horrid shooting night, he just held the ball on offense or just completely took plays off on the perimeter. Like he didn’t want to be there tonight at all.

It’s a bad loss to a very average team.

The whole team looked disjointed and looked like they haven’t slept in two nights.
I think we went up due to "hero ball". There was too much one on one all game but Al's hot streak made it seem OK.

Reactions: radecicco
I think we went up due to "hero ball". There was too much one on one all game but Al's hot streak made it seem OK.
The issue with that is, we drive w the sole intwntion to shoot, hence the awful start to the season. Just watch creighton. They drive w the intention to move the defense and find the open man. If they have the shot then great, but their offense wants to move u. Beginning if season we would drive and shoot off balance, contested shots. Just drive and if u dont have a clean shot then keep moving it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT