ADVERTISEMENT

TREVON DUVAL STILL UNDECIDED

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Trevon Duval remains the top uncommitted point guard in the Class of 2017 is still considering Arizona, Baylor, Duke, Kansas and Seton Hall.

“Everybody has a chance,” he said. “Each school has something that I really like. It’s just hard to make the decision, but everybody definitely has a chance.”

Asked point-blank if he knows where he wants to go, Duval said, “No.”

Duval said he was having a little fun with everyone on April Fool’s Day when he announced he would cut his list to two schools.

“Yeah, just bringing some humor to the whole decision-making thing,” he said.

He said he’s keeping an eye on who’s going to the NBA and who’s staying on campus.

“I definitely look at where guys are going, if they’re transferring, going to the NBA or whatever, so that’s definitely something I’ll keep track of,” he said.

Asked about the decision by Kansas’ Devonte Graham to come back to campus for his senior season, Duval said that wouldn’t sway him against the Jayhawks.

“No, I played with really good guards almost my whole life so I’m used to playing with other good guards and figuring it out,” he said.

As for a decision, he said, “Hopefully at the end of the month.”

He said he doesn’t know if he’ll announce on TV.

“It doesn’t really matter,” he said, “just getting it done is really the main focus. We’re still trying to figure out how I’m going to let everybody know.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/jordan-classic-roundup-nba-scouts-kevin-knox-mohamed-bamba-edited/

Maybe LeBron James could give him some counsel on how to pull off the actual announcement.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Bring in a talented PG who wants to be here for three or four years and move on.

I don't think there has been much drama with the Duval recruiting process. Very early on he said he wanted to see the makeup of each of the teams before making his decision (seems smart) and that means waiting until April/May to make his decision. Nothing has changed... where is the drama?

I personally think there is a lot more drama related to the kids that commit and then decommit especially without coaching changes.

I don't think there has been much drama with the Duval recruiting process. Very early on he said he wanted to see the makeup of each of the teams before making his decision (seems smart) and that means waiting until April/May to make his decision. Nothing has changed... where is the drama?

I personally think there is a lot more drama related to the kids that commit and then decommit especially without coaching changes.
I don't think there's any drama either. He's constantly attending these premier events/games, being asked questions and answering them. Nothing more than that.

The only drama around his recruitment is on this board. This kid consistently said from day one he's not deciding until April/May. He hasn't given anyone a silent verbal behind closed doors and then deny it like taurean Thompson, Kyle Anderson.

All he says is I'm deciding at the end of my senior year and everyone has a shot. That's the opposite of drama actually.

The drama is caused more by the NBA decision deadline vs the college recruiting signing period. That is what is creating the drama more than anything. Duval has been very cool during this process. I really like the kid whether he chooses us or not. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Reactions: lokiSHU
The drama is caused more by the NBA decision deadline vs the college recruiting signing period. That is what is creating the drama more than anything. Duval has been very cool during this process. I really like the kid whether he chooses us or not. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
Who cares about the head on his shoulders if he doesn't choose us

As far as what I hear, there has been no drama.

Duval is just waiting to make a decision, which is his right.

It delay does unfortunately impact the decisions of our coaching staff and orher players.

Holy moly some of you people are something else

There has been very very little drama from Tre.

The drama is from the fans who

1) Feel that a kid should commit when they want them to
2) Doesn't believe the recruit's words
3) Feel that SHU couldn't get a kid like Duval
4) Have no faith in our staff

I don't think there is a coach that Duval has a better relationship with then Shaheen. I don't think Duval has been on a campus more then the one in SO. I think Duval has a better relationship with the players at SHU then any other school. And I think the most important thing in Trey's mind is PT and having the ball in his hands. Finally I think UA plays a huge role in this. They want Trevon to be their next Steph Curry. Having him at a UA school is very very very important to UA.

Huge shoutout to Shaheen who has come so far in recruiting. When he stepped back on campus, he had very little in connections in AAU and HS in the area. He had no exp in developing those relationship. I'd say now he is the most connected Asst Coach in the area. He is now one of the best young assistants in the country. A few years back, Billy D called and wanted him at UF instead of Burno. Shaheen turned that offer down because he is a true blue SHU Guy. We are really lucky to have him and we should do our best to keep him happy.

I don't think there is a coach that Duval has a better relationship with then Shaheen. I don't think Duval has been on a campus more then the one in SO. I think Duval has a better relationship with the players at SHU then any other school. And I think the most important thing in Trey's mind is PT and having the ball in his hands. Finally I think UA plays a huge role in this. They want Trevon to be their next Steph Curry. Having him at a UA school is very very very important to UA.

Huge shoutout to Shaheen who has come so far in recruiting. When he stepped back on campus, he had very little in connections in AAU and HS in the area. He had no exp in developing those relationship. I'd say now he is the most connected Asst Coach in the area. He is now one of the best young assistants in the country. A few years back, Billy D called and wanted him at UF instead of Burno. Shaheen turned that offer down because he is a true blue SHU Guy. We are really lucky to have him and we should do our best to keep him happy.

Completely selfish in my part, but I fear losing Sha would devastate our program

Completely selfish in my part, but I fear losing Sha would devastate our program

If Willard leaves someday and Sha is ready, I do hope they turn over the reigns to him. At a school like SHU, unless you want it to be a continual stepping stone school to a bigger program, you need a guy like Sha in who won't be continually looking for the next big gig. That's why I think Providence hit a home run with Cooley.

If Willard leaves someday and Sha is ready, I do hope they turn over the reigns to him. At a school like SHU, unless you want it to be a continual stepping stone school to a bigger program, you need a guy like Sha in who won't be continually looking for the next big gig. That's why I think Providence hit a home run with Cooley.
Bingo

No drama whatsoever with Duval's recruitment. Kid's doing the right thing IMO, even if it means we could get left holding the bag. I thought the April Fool's thing was pretty amusing, even if I was slightly disappointed as it would have either established we were in the final two, or at least put some closure to the situation.

This board is going to either be in complete meltdown mode or calling for another KW extension a few weeks from now. Probably the most pivotal few weeks for the program since I've been a fan. Between Duval's decision, Angel's decision, and what we end up with at PG if Duval goes elsewhere, we're either a top 10 team, or possibly in some serious trouble next year and beyond.

This post really made my day!

Whether or not he comes here, at this point in time SHU is in serious trouble after next season, with only 4 players from next year's team who will be around in 18-19.

The next 5-7 months are extremely critical to the future of SHU hoops, do we land all the kids we "currently lead for" and become a program that has turned the corner or do we have another round of misses and excuses and sink to the bottom of the Big East.

Only time will tell.

Duval coming to SHU isn't just huge for next season, but for seasons after. Duval will give us instant credibility on the recruiting front. It will also give us a pirate who will be a star in the NBA making some serious $$$$.

With Duval the curtains will be opened at the Rock for many games. That will impress recruits and give SHU major bucks for its athletic programs.

As for national exposure and a possible deep run in the Dance....that goes without saying.

IMHEO, Duval is not coming to Seton Hall. Looks like Kansas, Duke, Arizona, in that order.

Reactions: Seton00
IMHEO, Duval is not coming to Seton Hall. Looks like Kansas, Duke, Arizona, in that order.
Sadly, while I have no idea the order of his list, I agree with you that he is not coming to SHU.

While not the death knell of SHU hoops, just a sign that Willard cannot give the PG position away.

Sadly, while I have no idea the order of his list, I agree with you that he is not coming to SHU.

While not the death knell of SHU hoops, just a sign that Willard cannot give the PG position away.

This is such BS...... We are battling Blue Bloods for a top 5 player in the country. Willard gets a lot of credit for going for the HR. If they miss out, they will get a decent short term option at the PG.

Not necessarily... go back to the late 1990s, and the fact that they were major players in the recruitment of Al Harrington was said to have given them credibility in landing the 2000 class.

Not that it would help in this case, but it could help going forward.

Reactions: fdamato22

Finally someone gets it! In order to become one of the blue bloods we have to recruit like the blue bloods. Duval is a big part of that. Willard inherited a mess when he came here but now things are starting to turn for the better yet there are those out there who would rather see him fail so they can continue to bitch and moan! Sorry, butgoing up against the Kansas and Duke's of the world is what Seton Hall should be doing! I don't want to see us battling the Rutgers and St. Peter's of the world.

You people do realize what a successful athletic department, especially men's basketball program, will do for Seton Hall don't you? We're on our way and there should be no turning back!

Because some people would rather see us fail than succeed. Why these people are so afraid of success just astounds me! I guess with success it would give them nothing to bitch about.
I don't think anyone here is afraid of success but, I do agree that there are people here who would complain about anything and everything.

I do think there are some here who think "this time it will be different" when it comes to recruits picking SHU even though history has shown it never is and as a result are always disappointed and perplexed in the end.

Obviously we ( with a few exceptions ) would all love for SH to become one of the " Blue Bloods " of college basketball but that doesn't happen overnight it takes time and the amount of time it takes really depends on where you start from and we all know the program was at rock bottom when Kevin took over . In order to become a blue blood program you have to acquire talent, start winning, start winning consistently and become one of the top programs in your conference. Once you've achieved the appropriate recognition as a place where the elite talent can play and showcase their talent then competing for the elite talent should become part of your recruiting philosophy. While all of us hope that we're the program he chooses you have to ask yourself whether our being in his final group of schools has turned away other PG's we were recruiting because they knew they would not start if Duval came to SH. Which brings me to ask whether we're ready to legitimately compete for the elite talent with a true chance at signing them or is it only in cases with unique circumstances that we should make recruiting that particular player a priority. I'm not sure I have the answer but it's a question I think needs to be considered.

Reactions: HallB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT