ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday's question

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
If you get a commitment from Duval do you want to sign a back-up point for this coming season?

I would say no unless you redshirt the player.

Next season we have multiple guards that are going to look for PT in Duval (noted that if he commits in the question), Carrington, Cale, Powell and Gordon.

Even with the possibility that some of these players back up Desi at the 3, most notably Cale, there just isn't enough time to keep everyone happy.

So as much as I don't like playing off guards at the point I'm sure we can fill in the few minutes there when Duval has to sit with Carrington being the first choice.

The one problem that can occur without having a true PG as back-up is if Duval is injured. But be that as it may If I were coach I would use my remaining 'ships looking for big men or quality transfers willing to sit out a year.

Dan - I know Willard said some nice things about Gordon last year (i.e. played well in practice). Any chance he plays some backup pg next year?

He's profiled on the Trove this morning re this past season. Go there for my opinion.

I would say no as well for the reasons Dan outlined as long as you are convinced with a high degree of certainty that you're going to sign a high quality, highly regarded PG in your 2018 class . If not then if there is a transfer who would sit a year that could start for you when he's eligible then I would take him.

Injuries scare me, but there is no way any immediately eligible PG would be happy playing 5-10 minutes a game. (If that)

Unhappy players scare me more than injuries.

Worst case scenario after Duval commits...he gets hurt like Kyrie did at Duke and then turns pro after his frosh year. Deeno would have to play pg without anyone really behind him...

If we get Duval I'd be completely satisfied at the PG position for next year. A kid like Walker who would benefit from limited minutes behind Duval and then hopefully be our PG for the 3 years after would be nice, but something tells me the publicity and potential if we get Duval is going to allow us to be very selective moving forward. Maybe JQ wouldn't be out of the question as his successor.

It was just a hypothetical question. No one here seriously thinks that. Seems he was just answering the question as it was proposed.

I answered a hypothetical question answered with a hypothetical scenario.

How am I getting ahead of myself...?

It was just a hypothetical question. No one here seriously thinks that. Seems he was just answering the question as it was proposed.
Yes, just throwing out some questions to keep the board interesting in the off season.

Some questions will be based on fact. Others hypothetical.

I have stated this before. I like Walker and would love to see him here. As a freshman, he can play very limited minutes as his only role is to be a backup and get stronger. This would not impact PT as long as he is the guy to take it over his Soph year. Powell backs up Carrington and Cale backs up Desi. I think there is enough playing time to go around especially since I think the team will press more.

It's far from just this one thread.... people posting all over on here are getting way ahead of themselves.

Reactions: shu09
I have stated this before. I like Walker and would love to see him here. As a freshman, he can play very limited minutes as his only role is to be a backup and get stronger. This would not impact PT as long as he is the guy to take it over his Soph year. Powell backs up Carrington and Cale backs up Desi. I think there is enough playing time to go around especially since I think the team will press more.
Not sure I would agree.

80 minutes at the guard positions and assuming Desi plays his usual 32 minutes on the floor at the 3 that adds another 8 minutes.

88 minutes for Duval, Carrington, Powell, Cale, Gordon and in your case Walker is going to lead to some unhappy campers.

Duval is (if) coming here to play at least 32 MPG. Carrington would want the same. That's at least 64 MPG out of the proposed 88 minutes. Not a lot of time for the other players.

I know you could free up more PT by playing Desi some at the 4 but I think we're bringing in a few players at the 4 & 5 that will be ready to contribute. Maybe Sandro, who is strongly considering the Hall is one, but is not the hard lean noted by Zagoria. Or maybe others who have been profiled both here and on the Trove.

It's far from just this one thread.... people posting all over on here are getting way ahead of themselves.
Lloyde, I think what got most SHU fans prematurely excited this week was Zagoria's tweet about Sandro being a hard lean to SHU. My sources have noted we are strongly involved but saying hard lean is an exaggeration.

Hopefully on this visit that changes.

Reactions: shupat08
I would love it if Gordon could become a serviceable backup PG. That would make me feel much better. I don't think we need another guard, I think we need another big.

Not sure I would agree.

80 minutes at the guard positions and assuming Desi plays his usual 32 minutes on the floor at the 3 that adds another 8 minutes.

88 minutes for Duval, Carrington, Powell, Cale, Gordon and in your case Walker is going to lead to some unhappy campers.

Duval is (if) coming here to play at least 32 MPG. Carrington would want the same. That's at least 64 MPG out of the proposed 88 minutes. Not a lot of time for the other players.

I know you could free up more PT by playing Desi some at the 4 but I think we're bringing in a few players at the 4 & 5 that will be ready to contribute. Maybe Sandro, who is strongly considering the Hall is one, but is not the hard lean noted by Zagoria. Or maybe others who have been profiled both here and on the Trove.

If the team would play a pressing defense, then there is no way that anyone should average 30 minutes a game. You want fresh legs to wear down opponents. Granted, I am assuming we would want to press. If you have the horses, why would't you?

In my scenario, Gordon won't see the floor. Walker would see very few minutes. The overwhelming majority of minutes will be spread between Carrington, Duval, Powell and Cale with Walker seeing very limited action. If no one averages over 30 minutes, that leaves 30 minutes of playing time ( I could even see no one averaging more than 28 minutes a game except fore Delgado) to be split among Powell and Cale, with Walker seeing just a minute or two here and there. Gordon won't be happy but everyone else will.

I seriously doubt Willard would press for 40 minutes a game. That's not how he teaches defense.

Yes, he will at times press if it's in our best interest, but typically if you press a lot you better have shot blockers to protect your rim. We do not.

Also, just because you have a talented team it doesn't mean all the players would be good in the press. That kind of defense takes a certain amount of ability and cohesiveness.

Plus you are taking a chance that Delgado will do one of two things if you use the press too much

1. He'll get into foul trouble

2. He'll play matador defense to stay out of foul trouble.

My take is that KW will use the press when the situation dictates but he will not use it close to 40 MPG.

If you get a commitment from Duval do you want to sign a back-up point for this coming season?

Yes. I'm done with KC at the point unless it's an emergency or something strategic for a possession here or there.

Plus I like the idea of having some insurance of a player who has been with our program for a full season and knows the ropes given Carrington's graduation, as well as the possibility that if Duval came here he could be one-and-done.

KC is a team player and I give him credit, but it's not fair to him either. It's taking away from what he does best.

Reactions: TommyAlly
Let's see how it plays out with Sandro and Duval. You get Sandro and you are done in the frontcourt for next year. If you
you land Duval I think they should still get the 5th year transfer PG for insurance. At that point you are really set up for 2017.

That's the dream scenario for 2017 and then you can focus
on a big 2018 recruiting class.

Gordon is too big a question mark as a PG for next year. He seems more like a solid role player in 2018 and 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT