ADVERTISEMENT

UConn and the Big East

I like the makeup of the Big East as it is right now with a bunch of like minded Catholic Universities. However, if other economics are still favorable to the current schools and if FS believes it is a very good think for their network you have to be open minded about allowing UConn in.

If this does happen, then why not use the opportunity to add one more team to make this round out to 12?

I'm as pro UConn as you will find on this board, but that is because UConn is a special case. There pretty much isn't another program in the country I would invite into the conference on the current landscape with the exception of maybe ND.

10 schools makes for an easy round robin.
11 schools makes for a possible 20 game round robin season. *That means ditching two non-conference games, but we could definitely handle that. It might even make scheduling easier since Uconn is geographically close and we wouldn't have to scramble to get Central Connecticut State.

12 teams means no round-robin. You probably round robin half the teams and play the other half once a season (a la) bigger conferences.Round robin is fun and competitive. I wouldn't trade it unless we had to or it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

If this does happen, then why not use the opportunity to add one more team to make this round out to 12?

No way would I want 12! Eleven has to be the cap to preserve the home and home round robin. The Big East does not play football so there is no need to go above 11. Quite honestly, there is no reason why the football conferences had to go past 10 either other than then NCAA arbitrarily decided that they needed more in order to sponsor a championship that is only played by the two top teams as opposed to everyone like most do for a basketball championship.

Fwiw, I would not add BC and I am certain they have no interest in leaving. Why no BC? Cause they add nothing to the bb league.

No ACC team is going anywhere for the next 20 years anyway.

Bedides, they could be best team in the Big East and still make about $10 million (minimum) a year less than they do now as the worst school in the ACC.

I think they're already in it in the AAC.

I hate UConn but they do bring a lot to the table. Fox will definitely want them in but I am sure the league will make it very hard for them to leave the BE if another offer came in. I would rather play UConn than Howard or Central CT St. Our fans can travel easy and so will theirs.

As for another team Dayton, VCU, and Wichita State would be awesome additions to our league. VCU is killing it on the recruiting trail. Of those three I prefer Wichita State but highly doubt they would join.

How much additional revenues do you think adding UConn to the BE will generate for us ? Apart from the increased attendance at our home game against UConn and increased NCAA credits I don't see a windfall. The current split from the Fox deal is not evenly split and certain schools get significantly more then we do. I would not hesitate to guess that if UConn comes in they'll wind up getting more then us from any Fox TV deal.

My first thought on these matters is whether it's good for SHU.

Over the past three seasons the UConn women's basketball team is 116-1 overall and 54-0 in the AAC.

How is that good for the Pirates?

Furthermore, the aforementioned ratings for the BET final have more to do with FOX than with the Big East Conference. Put that same game/time/date on CBS and I guarantee you twice the audience.

I love the FOX deal, the fact that they seem like a great business partner (the BE tournament finals coverage was outstanding) and there seems to be growth. But let's not elevate them to a status they don't hold. They are the No. 4 network.

CBS is No. 1. Last year their viewership was about 65 percent higher than FOX.

Reactions: shupat08
Admitting a state university opens the books, not sure conference leadership wants that. What does it do for Fox? They already have the metro market covered. As a previous poster mentioned, viewership is down, that's got to affect advertising rates. Does adding another program(s) subject the Fox deal to renegotiation? Until they disband the football program, or alternatively cutdown on the 85 football scholarships, UCONN will be listening to the beat of a different drummer than other conference members. Other then a few private basketball factories, New England is not a hotbed for recruiting. If there is expansion, there are private schools with basketball traditions to draw from.

It is very important that the ACC gets cable companies in the NE to pay their new network. And it is very important for the BE that they aren't able to infiltrate our area. Boeheim will be retired when the new network is available on TV , and with a Hopkins coached Cuse , I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC wants another NE school with hoards of alumni in the NYC area.

The reason they would add additional revenues is because the Fox deal doesn't last forever.

The important thing is to keep that going, and with a good return. Otherwise, it's back to 2 or 3 national games a year on ESPN 2 or ESPNU, or on NBCSN like the A-10.

uconn is far more popular and respected as a basketball program in the metro area and nationwide. Not even close. Imo they are way bigger than we ever were and close to the apex of sju popularity even today.

No other realistic potential candidate for the BE has one tenth of the positive effect on the men's basketball league as them.

I can see not wanting expansion, but if we do, let's get better, not just higger.

My first thought on these matters is whether it's good for SHU.

Over the past three seasons the UConn women's basketball team is 116-1 overall and 54-0 in the AAC.

How is that good for the Pirates?

Furthermore, the aforementioned ratings for the BET final have more to do with FOX than with the Big East Conference. Put that same game/time/date on CBS and I guarantee you twice the audience.

I love the FOX deal, the fact that they seem like a great business partner (the BE tournament finals coverage was outstanding) and there seems to be growth. But let's not elevate them to a status they don't hold. They are the No. 4 network.

CBS is No. 1. Last year their viewership was about 65 percent higher than FOX.
The conference could care less about what happens to women's basketball... sorry if Uconn joins the Big East the conference makes even more money off the women's teams.. they care about men's basketball and if you think Uconn in the Big East isn't good for business then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I think UConn should be doing everything they can to get into the Big 12 first and foremost. I can't see them wanting to come to the Big East without getting their own Notre Dame like type of side deal for Men's and Women's Basketball. I agree with the other poster who said that the Women's Team is going to absolutely dominate the Big East conference.

I hope UConn does not wind up in the Big East, but as I noted above, if Fox is going to get the last word and is paying most of the bills they have the right to decide who is coming to the conference next.

It's about the survival of a bunch of very small schools trying to compete with state supported gigantic schools who don't care about how much money they can spend or lose. It's about keeping the FOX deal alive so we can survive. Why is this so hard for some of you to figure out. There isn't going to be any Big East as we now know it if Fox goes away. They have to stay happy with the deal. Say that to yourself a few times. This isn't about a lot of money for the league members. Please, tell me where do we go and what you think will happen if FOX goes away? Does the A-10 situation look very good? Oh and MSG might like it a lot too during TBET.

I agree with this to some extent, Gary. I do believe what's best for business should take priority over silly emotions. However, I don't believe the situation is as dire as you do.

Remember those posters poo-pooing the notion of a C7 break from the old Big East? Shut up and take the ESPN deal is what they told us. It'd be suicide to even think otherwise. I can't claim I absolutely knew differently, but I did know the landscape had already changed and was about to change even more. CBSSN and NBCSN were desperate for live sports content. And before the launch of FS1 & FS2 was the worst-kept "secret" in public, it was the worst-kept secret in sports media circles. ESPN began locking up much longer-term deals than they had prior. There was a jarring increase in rights fees being thrown around. I didn't know where a new Big East would land and anyone who says they did is a liar or a prophet. I just knew the opportunity was there. Luckily, the timing worked out perfectly for the Big East. In a day of overpaying for locking up media rights, the new Big East became a single gal on the market.

Fox isn't going anywhere. Relax a little bit. The panic isn't warranted. Yes, it's in the best interests of the Big East to have a positive relationship with Fox. I don't get how we have to keep the deal alive though. It's alive through 2024-25. That's something people need to say to themselves - alive through 2024-25. And if we're talking about the next deal...remember what the poo-pooing posters said about the C7 break and leaving ESPN? If someone knows what the sports media landscape is going to look like in 2024-25, you're a billionaire waiting to happen. Please contact me immediately. I'd like to join you. The way in which content is consumed is rapidly changing. Twitter and Yahoo have broadcast live sporting events. Netflix, Hulu, cord-cutting, digital streaming usage increases...what's next? You also have to consider what other rights deals are up around the same time and know who the players will be. I can't see beyond 2024-25 (or 5 years even), although I can make a stronger case for opportunity than I can for despair at this time.

Couple thoughts on reoccurring themes in this thread.

UConn - If it's good for business, do it. I'm assuming Fox and the conference (as well as conference members) have had some high-level conversations (at the very least) about expansion in general and UConn specifically. I'm not as strong a supporter of the narrative that the Big East does whatever Fox says as some posters opine. It's never that cut and dry. Even when rights deals are completed, that's not the last of the negotiating between the two sides. It's typically constant and wide-ranging in scope. Anyone watching postseason baseball? Notice the Statcast powered by Amazon references. That is a MLB pet project. It's their baby and they sold the sponsorship and wanted broadcasters to use it, which is completely backwards to how it normally works. It doesn't show up on the broadcasts without negotiation and every negotiation is different.

UConn brings a high-quality brand name and possibly/probably more eyeballs (more on ratings to come). While they have some advantages over the rest of the BE schools, I side with a 'what's good for the goose' approach here. I do believe adding UConn to the BE would have some benefit to the MSG relationship too, although it is locked up through 2025-26.

Fox Ratings - They're not good and that's predictable. I find the Fox network ratings, specifically the BE Champ game, a little more disappointing than FS1 and FS2 broadcasts. When Fox announced the launch of FS1 / FS2, they made the common mistake start-ups often make in blustery talk about taking an incumbent down. That wasn't and isn't going to happen. To some, I suppose that is sexier than stating a realistic goal of grabbing enough market share to operate at a profit and grow a solid business. It's going to be a slow grow. ESPN has a massive lead. FS1/FS2 are brand new. They aren't in the forefront in the minds of sports fans and the content options (especially live sports) are limited. FS1/FS2 are in building mode. Sports fan is not trained to see what's on FS1/FS2 yet. Casual fan doesn't know they exist. They just added some good Big 10 rights. Let's see where the ratings are in three years, while understanding the media consumption landscape is changing rapidly.

Back to Threads/Forum
I agree with this to some extent, Gary. I do believe what's best for business should take priority over silly emotions. However, I don't believe the situation is as dire as you do.

Remember those posters poo-pooing the notion of a C7 break from the old Big East? Shut up and take the ESPN deal is what they told us. It'd be suicide to even think otherwise. I can't claim I absolutely knew differently, but I did know the landscape had already changed and was about to change even more. CBSSN and NBCSN were desperate for live sports content. And before the launch of FS1 & FS2 was the worst-kept "secret" in public, it was the worst-kept secret in sports media circles. ESPN began locking up much longer-term deals than they had prior. There was a jarring increase in rights fees being thrown around. I didn't know where a new Big East would land and anyone who says they did is a liar or a prophet. I just knew the opportunity was there. Luckily, the timing worked out perfectly for the Big East. In a day of overpaying for locking up media rights, the new Big East became a single gal on the market.

Fox isn't going anywhere. Relax a little bit. The panic isn't warranted. Yes, it's in the best interests of the Big East to have a positive relationship with Fox. I don't get how we have to keep the deal alive though. It's alive through 2024-25. That's something people need to say to themselves - alive through 2024-25. And if we're talking about the next deal...remember what the poo-pooing posters said about the C7 break and leaving ESPN? If someone knows what the sports media landscape is going to look like in 2024-25, you're a billionaire waiting to happen. Please contact me immediately. I'd like to join you. The way in which content is consumed is rapidly changing. Twitter and Yahoo have broadcast live sporting events. Netflix, Hulu, cord-cutting, digital streaming usage increases...what's next? You also have to consider what other rights deals are up around the same time and know who the players will be. I can't see beyond 2024-25 (or 5 years even), although I can make a stronger case for opportunity than I can for despair at this time.

UConn - If it's good for business, do it. I'm assuming Fox and the conference (as well as conference members) have had some high-level conversations (at the very least) about expansion in general and UConn specifically. I'm not as strong a supporter of the narrative that the Big East does whatever Fox says as some posters opine. It's never that cut and dry. Even when rights deals are completed, that's not the last of the negotiating between the two sides. It's typically constant and wide-ranging in scope. Anyone watching postseason baseball? Notice the Statcast powered by Amazon references. That is a MLB pet project. It's their baby and they sold the sponsorship and wanted broadcasters to use it, which is completely backwards to how it normally works. It doesn't show up on the broadcasts without negotiation and every negotiation is different.

UConn brings a high-quality brand name and possibly/probably more eyeballs (more on ratings to come). While they have some advantages over the rest of the BE schools, I side with a 'what's good for the goose' approach here. I do believe adding UConn to the BE would have some benefit to the MSG relationship too, although it is locked up through 2025-26.

Fox Ratings - They're not good and that's predictable. I find the Fox network ratings, specifically the BE Champ game, a little more disappointing than FS1 and FS2 broadcasts. When Fox announced the launch of FS1 / FS2, they made the common mistake start-ups often make in blustery talk about taking an incumbent down. That wasn't and isn't going to happen. To some, I suppose that is sexier than stating a realistic goal of grabbing enough market share to operate at a profit and grow a solid business. It's going to be a slow grow. ESPN has a massive lead. FS1/FS2 are brand new. They aren't in the forefront in the minds of sports fans and the content options (especially live sports) are limited. FS1/FS2 are in building mode. Sports fan is not trained to see what's on FS1/FS2 yet. Casual fan doesn't know they exist. They just added some good Big 10 rights. Let's see where the ratings are in three years, while understanding the media consumption landscape is changing rapidly.
Most knowledgeable post I've seen here in some time. Not a knock on any other contributions, but this is spot on.

I'm not saying I want them but seton75 is correct. Uconn is a huge name. They have 4 national championships. Enough said.

Just a few comments:

I don't think anyone is saying "Fox is going to leave our arrangement". I think it's being said that they may consider the product not as valuable after looking at the TV numbers, what other similar sized conferences are getting paid. There was a certain amount of black box to what they offered the first time due to all the intersecting factors. There may be some x-factors again in 2024-25, which you point out.

UConn is a national brand that indisputably owns a huge share of television sets in the northeast (NYC Metro and New England). They'd boost the prestige and rankings for the conference. I'm not saying they would change the game, but they'd be a valued addition that would add revenue for the Fox line up.

I personally want to see them get added. Uconn/SHU games are a blast, and they are close enough to travel to for our fans. They beat the hell out of almost every OOC game on the schedule.

Excellent analysis and post; one thing you are spot on about and that is...what does sports programming look like in 2024? or in 5 years for that matter. Technology and the delivery of almost everything (not just digital...think "same day Amazon", food shopping to your home, etc) is changing at warp speed. One thing you need is the ability to change course, adapt to the changing environment, be able to "read the tea leaves" and see what is coming next and work to capitalize on it. Not saying I know whether our deal with Fox allows for that, or of Fox has the where-with-all, or talent to pull it off, but with UCONN as part of the product, at least as of today, the Big East would be better positioned then without them. Again, not saying whether I like it or not...but I do think Fox would like it a lot...and that matters.

For our women I say yes yes yes!
Though we will be shellacked we'll be playing Geno twice a year at least. And you are known by the company you keep.
I bet Tony is wishing for it.
And Fox would love the UConn women!

Honestly, I don't think Fox would care in the least about the UConn women. Ratings are tiny for Big East men's games, let alone women's games, no matter who is involved.

I also don't think playing UConn again would do anything to elevate the SHU women's program. I'm sure it's done zilch for their new opponents in the AAC who now get to lose by 60 against them. The gulf between them and the other teams they play is just too wide.... a definite flaw in the sport.

Reactions: Pirate6711

Some great points. As far as me in a panic, no. I'm pretty sure I know how this will roll if Jerry's story is right. So there is nothing for me to worry about . And FOX and MSG will be happier than ever.

Just a few comments:

Uconn/SHU games are a blast, and they are close enough to travel to for our fans. They beat the hell out of almost every OOC game on the schedule.

I agree that they are easy to travel to and are far better than any OOC game we could get, but UCONN games weren't a blast. The record was way too one-sided for it to be labeled a "fun" series in my opinion. We always got our butt's kicked. I only remember beating them 2 times in "recent" memory: (1) Darius Lane 3 in '01 and (2) Theodore/Pope Sr year.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
The conference could care less about what happens to women's basketball... sorry if Uconn joins the Big East the conference makes even more money off the women's teams.. they care about men's basketball and if you think Uconn in the Big East isn't good for business then I'm not sure what to tell you.

"The conference could care less about what happens to women's basketball..."

I believe there's a woman by the name of Val Ackerman who would disagree and laugh at that statement.

And note that my sentence ended with a question mark.

There have been many good posts here, but too many people are making their case based on the football conference model.

The Big East Conference is a basketball conference.

The BE showed last year that it can compete with anybody. We don't need the Power Five, and we don't need to chase them.

The Big East is the Power ONE!

Older fans remember walking to CAA after parking your car and seeing the whole arena surrounded by buses with Conn license plates. I must say with the UConn fans getting loud, even SHU fans started getting involved. The game in Blaney's first year was awesome. We pressed them down like 7 in the last few minutes and actually got TOs and got to within a basket. Donny Marshall was inbounding after we scored. Ray Allen broke full court, and Donny took the ball out of the refs hand and hit him for an easy dunk and we lost.

And for those saying they were invisible till they got good, I remember Grand Central being filled with UConn fans on the way to MSG for the opengin round of the BET in around 84-5 while I ate lunch at a little restaurant they used to have on the Vanderbilt Ave side of GCS.

I'm quite sure his point is that the conference could care less about women's basketball in that not a single decision is made based on it. No different than any other sport other than men's basketball.

I believe there's a woman by the name of Val Ackerman who would disagree and laugh at that statement.

If Phyllis Mangina coached UConn hoops, adding UConn would be no less attractive today. imo

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Great posts on this topic. UCONN is the only team to add. VCU, Dayton, WSU, nice, tough A-10 and MVC teams. They are not going to move the needle on ratings.

I would be really surprised if UCONN gets into the BIG 12 (or if the BIG 12 takes anyone). And football, not basketball drives the ACC and every other power 5 league. Does Miami, Clemson, and Florida State want UCONN football?

A few more shoes still have to drop but Carino is right: the day of reckoning is coming for UCONN.

but UCONN games weren't a blast. The record was way too one-sided for it to be labeled a "fun" series in my opinion. We always got our butt's kicked. I only remember beating them 2 times in "recent" memory: (1) Darius Lane 3 in '01 and (2) Theodore/Pope Sr year.

Ah young SOBO, ask your parents about the games we suffocated their teams down the stretch with a PJ defense that had UCONN shutout and struggling from exhaustion. Near full house at the meadowlands. And those 'recent' two you speak of weren't too bad either. The house was electric for a weekend game against them.

Reactions: SOBO1
People act like PJ years were recent ... it's 22 years and counting... and the run lasted about 6 years.... It pains me as a Mets fan how that organization clings to one season 30 years ago.... 1989 is treading into that territory for us.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Just a few comments:

I don't think anyone is saying "Fox is going to leave our arrangement". I think it's being said that they may consider the product not as valuable after looking at the TV numbers, what other similar sized conferences are getting paid. There was a certain amount of black box to what they offered the first time due to all the intersecting factors. There may be some x-factors again in 2024-25, which you point out.

UConn is a national brand that indisputably owns a huge share of television sets in the northeast (NYC Metro and New England). They'd boost the prestige and rankings for the conference. I'm not saying they would change the game, but they'd be a valued addition that would add revenue for the Fox line up.

I personally want to see them get added. Uconn/SHU games are a blast, and they are close enough to travel to for our fans. They beat the hell out of almost every OOC game on the schedule.

I understand your first point. I was speaking about Fox "going away" more figuratively than literally. I agree that Uconn would add value to the BE in a multitude of ways. What I don't know is how that translates on the business side in this theoretical conversation. Are we splitting the pie an additional way? Is the pie growing? Etc... And this is all assuming the Uconn football matters and departure protection (for BE) is all ironed out.

Will we play 20 conference games or only play some teams once? I love the home and home set up.

They aren't basing this move on the UCONN women's basketball team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT