ADVERTISEMENT

UConn and the Big East

And for those saying they were invisible till they got good, I remember Grand Central being filled with UConn fans on the way to MSG for the opengin round of the BET in around 84-5 while I ate lunch at a little restaurant they used to have on the Vanderbilt Ave side of GCS.

I remember going to a 1/3 filled civic center and crappy field house to watch the "good" Big East teams kick their butt. At least I got to see the Pearl Cuse teams, Hoya paranoia teams, Mullin's Johnnies, etc. I pretty sure I saw them play PJ's Pirates in the fieldhouse. And by saw, I mean played hoops behind the bleachers with the other kids during the game. Their long-time SID was a good friend of my father. He used to credential us on occasion and we'd sit in the almost empty media seating. They weren't a hot ticket. That has changed just a bit.

Anyone else find Calhoun's participation at Big East Media day curious? You can be sure that he's one of the UConn powerbrokers behind the scenes pushing for the University to abandon its Power 5 football delusions and move into the Big East.

It was being proactive that got the C7 in the situation it finds itself in now and they should continue to do so. Adding UConn seems like a no-brainer to shore up the credibility and viability of the conference moving forward. It's a home game on the schedule I'd be looking forward to every season.

random thoughts:

- I don't part. like or want UConn as much as everyone else, but if Fox wants it and that keeps the current deal going once it's up in several years, then let's do it.

- the 20 game round robin would not eliminate games against FDU & CCSU. It would simply make it easier for KW to not schedule strong teams b/c now 2 more strong games are on the schedule automatically.

- UConn solidifies MSG for the conference...basically forever. Depending on how important keeping MSG is to you (seems pretty vital to the health of the conference to me)

- that does suck about all the women's teams getting rocked by UConn every season if they came, but no one cares about women's bball.

You can think what ya want, but they are not wanting it.... These are FACTS lol

No doubt. if it happens, they will say the right things publicly ("to be the best, you have to play the best"...etc) but behind closed doors it will be "there goes any chance of a conference title..." which, sadly is true. UCONN dominance in the women's game goes well beyond what Wooden's Bruins did...and that is saying a lot!

There is a clear divide in that sport...Uconn...and everyone else...quite frankly, to the detriment of the sport in my opinion.

sure, they may lose a game here or there (well...maybe not!) but that is not the point. In no other sport, college or otherwise, can you "pencil in the champion" year after year...and be right 70% to 80% of the time!

Come to think of it....what are the Vegas odds on them? or is there no "action"? Which would make sense.

For those who say UConn would help with MSG:

The BE already blew the roof off the place this past season without UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame. None were needed to sell out a spectacular finals on nationalsTV.

In fact, those other leagues are the ones who are coming to NYC. We're already there. They're following us.

The BE already blew the roof off the place this past season without UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt and Notre Dame. None were needed to sell out a spectacular finals on nationalsTV.

In fact, those other leagues are the ones who are coming to NYC. We're already there. They're following us.
That was the first final the BET sold out since the new league started. And the whole tourney was routinely sold out in the old days.

That was the first final the BET sold out since the new league started. And the whole tourney was routinely sold out in the old days.

We had a whole thread about this a few months and this is 100% correct. We did well selling out the final game, but attendance has been down because we simply don't have as many alumni and fans to draw on. UConn gives us a boost more than anyone else we've discussed as an addition.

I understand your first point. I was speaking about Fox "going away" more figuratively than literally. I agree that Uconn would add value to the BE in a multitude of ways. What I don't know is how that translates on the business side in this theoretical conversation. Are we splitting the pie an additional way? Is the pie growing? Etc... And this is all assuming the Uconn football matters and departure protection (for BE) is all ironed out.

I'd be shocked if the conference leadership accepted a deal that reduced current school income from the deal after a season with 5 bids and a team winning the national championship. I have to assume it would mean more revenue in the overall deal. I don't think it means revenue for all school's grow, but definitely a new slice is "added" for UConn. I also assume the plan would have to include UConn football landing somewhere (current AAC, MAC, independent, who knows).

What happens this year if Xavier and Butler make it to the championship? what happens if Nova gets bumped out early? The first year of the new big east it was so easy to get tickets to the tournament. Even last year I had no problems getting finals tickets. Icon changes that. UCONN makes the BET a hot ticket again. You can't look at one year...

And yes these other conferences are trying to get into New York and that should scare the hell out of the Big East. You have to solidify the BET and UCONN will do that.

Yes and you could buy tickets for the early rounds on Stub Hub for hardly any money and the place was not close to full Thursday night.

I think UConn should be doing everything they can to get into the Big 12 first and foremost. I can't see them wanting to come to the Big East without getting their own Notre Dame like type of side deal for Men's and Women's Basketball. I agree with the other poster who said that the Women's Team is going to absolutely dominate the Big East conference.

I hope UConn does not wind up in the Big East, but as I noted above, if Fox is going to get the last word and is paying most of the bills they have the right to decide who is coming to the conference next.
It's more than just Fox who wants UConn in the Big East.

The pros to Uconn
- top 10 program / national brand gives the conference added credibility
- increases revenue sharing?
- helps protect MSG

The Cons to Uconn
- competes with SHU for metro area recruits
- kills the round robin or the likelyhood that Willard schedules top notch OOC by adding 2 additional top 25 games to the schedule
- destroys the competive balance in the women's game
- public school? (not sure of the implications)
- decreases revenue sharing?
- they will drop us quicker than a bad habit at the sniff of a P5 invite

Last edited:
Wednesday and Thursday were always easy tickets.
You could get tickets for Wednesday day of for a couple dollars. Thursday you could get tickets but they were tougher to get and a lot more expensive. Last 2 years it wasn't that hard or ascexoensive to get Thursday tickets, I'm not even going to comment on Wednesday

I also got tickets to the Championship game fairly easily and decent price morning of... later on in the day it was much hazarded but tickets could be found day of.

Last edited:
Some great points. As far as me in a panic, no. I'm pretty sure I know how this will roll if Jerry's story is right. So there is nothing for me to worry about . And FOX and MSG will be happier than ever.

I think Calhoun being at media day today is an indication that the Big East wants to welcome UConn with open arms if it can't get into another league.

Question regarding how MSG makes money from the BIGEAST during the BET

a) does the BigEast pay a flat fee to rent the arena Wed - Sat (i.e. $100k per night)?
b) does MSG take a cut of the gate for the BET? If so, what's the split?
c) both a and b

Another thing I haven't seen discussed. UConn in a post-Calhoun world is not nearly as attractive as when he was roaming the sidelines. Love him or hate him, that man literally made that program from scratch. In 10, 15, 20 years, will UConn be thought of as it is today? Nobody knows for sure, but wondering how long they can last as a high level program is something to think about.

Even when the won the title in Ollie's first year, it didn't have the same feel. I think it will be a long, long time before they get back to that level.

Another thing I haven't seen discussed. UConn in a post-Calhoun world is not nearly as attractive as when he was roaming the sidelines. Love him or hate him, that man literally made that program from scratch. In 10, 15, 20 years, will UConn be thought of as it is today? Nobody knows for sure, but wondering how long they can last as a high level program is something to think about.

Even when the won the title in Ollie's first year, it didn't have the same feel. I think it will be a long, long time before they get back to that level.
I get what you are saying, but they still are recruiting at a high level, and for whatever reason they still have that national notoriety. They still carry that name recognition especially with the NCAA Tournament committee

Reactions: Pirate6711
MSG also makes a large amount of $$$$ off the Big East crowd drinking overpriced beer for four days. And I'm not kidding. The NCAA cut a nice check to MSG to make up for the difference in alchohol sales when they bought the NIT.

I think Calhoun being at media day today is an indication that the Big East wants to welcome UConn with open arms if it can't get into another league.
He was part of a panel to mark 35 years of the BE at MSG that included PJ and Raf.

I am not a Uconn fan but I like the idea of them in the BE. It offsets the loss of Cuse by bringing back one of the markee programs. ND was always a vagabond, BC left so long ago, who remembers? But Uconn has the recent hardware that brings some luster to the league. It really solidifies the BE in NY and makes the other leauges' courtship w the the Big Apple look like wannabes in comparison. It's gotta feel good for the BE to have Uconn making overtures to reunite, like an old flame from the past that rings you to say hello.

Reactions: garyshu71
I find it strange that there's nothing about UConn and the Big East in the Connecticut Post nor the Hartford Courant.

Both those papers have beat reports who cover UConn.

I think UConn is playing the Big East for suckers.

According to this article, the B12 chancellors meet on October 17 and could make an announcement.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-12-expansion-update1009-20161008-story.html
There have been articles in the Currant regarding UCONN coming back to the BE, there was a very long one within the past 2-3 weeks. It said that UCONN absolutely has to get out of the AAC and the BE is where it's basketball program should be. At the time their was still some speculation about the BIG 12 taking football only members. That isn't happening. So, unless they get into the Big 12, very unlikely if you follow BIG 12 developments closely, what are they going to do with the football program? They are only drawing 29,000 to a 45,000 seat stadium.

I'm not convinced the majority of conference realignments are finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 12 dissolve and the members split amongst the remaining P5 conferences and we would be left with 4 16 team conferences.

I'm not convinced the majority of conference realignments are finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 12 dissolve and the members split amongst the remaining P5 conferences and we would be left with 4 16 team conferences.

I think this is always a possibility, but UConn doesn't necessarily win in that scenario. They aren't getting into the SEC or PAC12. As for ACC:

1. BC hates their guts and will do everything they can to block membership.

2. The ACC is trying to boost their Football chops to be compared to the Big Ten and SEC. UConn doesn't help, and in fact, takes them a step back since the other conferences will aim for the best football programs they can get. In a way, UConn is a crappier Kansas (only Kansas is in football country). They would consider WVU or UCinn, since they have better football traditions and good basketball, plus they would get into new markets.

B1G is also questionable. They would have two open spots. They could shoot for Kansas territory, or also go for WVU/CINN.

It's a fun thought experiment.

Best scenario for UCONN is for Big10 to evict Rotgers and bring in UCONN, as the Husky fans actually support their team.

At least the people in Connecticut try to watch their team for the whole season, instead of disappearing by September 30 as the Rotgers fans do subsequent to a couple of early season losses.

Last edited:

I definitely think there will be something to this. Might be by the end of the decade.

If UConn can't make it to Big 12 for Football, they really need to reassess their level of commitment and investment. Might need to follow whatever path UMass or other like programs have taken and go back to 1-AA if they still call it that.

Reactions: Pirate64
If UConn can't make it to Big 12 for Football, they really need to reassess their level of commitment and investment. Might need to follow whatever path UMass or other like programs have taken and go back to 1-AA if they still call it that.
I think UMass will eventually go back to 1AA/FCS, but they are trying their best to be FBS independent. They aspire to be in the AAC and left the MAC after last season.

So much of any possible future realignment that takes place involving the Power Five conferences will revolve around what the TV networks want as new TV deals are negotiated and the Conferences set up their own networks. Every Power Five Conference has it's bottom dwelling football programs whether it be Purdue or RU in the B1G , Kansas in the BIG-12 , BC in the ACC and others and UConn's woeful football program may not be the deterrent many suggest because of the strength of both its men's and women's BB programs .

I just don't see how joining the BigEast makes sense for UCONN. The goal for them is to get invited to a P5 conference and it makes more sense in my opinion to sit tight in free agency (i.e. AAC) and wait for that invite than to join the BigEast and pay the massive exit fee when that day comes. They are consistently in the conversation for conference realignment. Being in the AAC isn't hurting either of their basketball teams' reputations.

The money is just too massive to not do everything in your power to get a P5 invite.

Reactions: Pirate6711
UConn is in a tough spot (not that I feel bad for them). Their FB program adds no value to any of the P5 Conferences. And while their BB program has value now, the longer they hang in the AAC, the risk they run is being able to compete for recruits over time. The best scenario for them is to land in the ACC, but they dilute the FB deal which is where the money is so not sure why the ACC would embrace them.

Conn doesn't have unlimited time to make a decision. They do not have the funds to wait forever. Thus if they do not get a power 5 invite soon (unlikely) they have to move their FB program down a level as it is a major source of revenue failure.

If they drop a level I doubt they can rebuild to get back to a desirable FB school for the power conferences.

@HALL85 I don't disagree with you but couldn't the same be said about Rutgers? And they got invited to the BigTen. In all seriousness, Rutgers is historically one of the worst football teams in the FBS. Their basketball team is one of the worst, if not the worst, program in the major conferences.

Rutgers proximity to the New York market is appealing, but UConn isn't that far from New York or Boston (but I guess BC fills that Boston market for the ACC).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT