ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT coach

hallsoccer03

All World
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Well it appears that within the next week or 2 a new coach will named for the men’s national team. I personally don’t like the fact you have had an interim manager for the last year or so, but I realize if you spent the last year integrating the youth to the senior team level then I am not sure if anything was really lost.

With that said the rumor is Berhalter will be the next coach... thoughts?

Seems like Stewart insists on an English speaking coach in the MLS. Agree?

Seems from the stat they showed during the USA/Peru game there are 5 or 6 other coaches with more wins and more trophies than Berhalter... this is a big hire right now especially with the youth players that are basically forging their way into the team... wondering anyone’s thoughts on this and who they would think would be a good hire?

They need to get this hire right. Sounds like Tab may be the frontrunner now?

They need to get this hire right. Sounds like Tab may be the frontrunner now?
I would be shocked if Tab Ramos would be picked... haven’t heard any rumors or anything so maybe something came out, but was told that he wouldn’t be considered for the senior team until he had some professional coaching experience, whether it be MLS or another league

Reactions: RLNJ13
There were so many different directions they could have gone with this hire. Picking an MLS coach who doesn't exactly have a lot of experience or track record of success is puzzling. Factor that in with his brother being the Chief Commercial Officer of the USSF and it seems like favoritism.

I get that the job isn't an easy sell, but I think they could have done better than this. Open up the checkbook and get a proven coach in here. Ideally we'd like to have the same coach for the 2022 and 2026 cycles as the 2026 World Cup will be the most important one in USMNT history, IMO.

Reactions: shupat08
I would be shocked if Tab Ramos would be picked... haven’t heard any rumors or anything so maybe something came out, but was told that he wouldn’t be considered for the senior team until he had some professional coaching experience, whether it be MLS or another league
I agree and hope that's the case!

In a perfect world, I'd write a blank check and call up Zidane. Otherwise, amongst the finalists mention, there's gonna be a lot of flags with whomever they hire.

I'm gonna go back to playing football Manager now lol

Reactions: schultz1825
In a perfect world, I'd write a blank check and call up Zidane. Otherwise, amongst the finalists mention, there's gonna be a lot of flags with whomever they hire.

I'm gonna go back to playing football Manager now lol

Ha! Isn't the new one out today? I've never played but have always been interested. Messed around with the mobile version a few times and found it alright.

This whole process has been a joke. Too much MLS influence and too much influence from the people in the USSF who got us into this mess. They clearly wanted a coach who would promote MLS rather than one who criticized it like Klinsmann.

I agree and hope that's the case!
I may be biased but I think Ramos will in the future be a great senior team coach... I’m not sure what his immediate future plans are but he has said that he will never get the top job until he gets professional experience being the head coach.... they love what he has done so far but are reluctant to pull the trigger on him due to lack of professional experience managing....

I get wanting to bring in a person who is familiar with the style and the heart of American soccer... with Juergen I think we were moving further away from it while we were trying to develop more skilled players... more skilled players is great but they seem to be losing that hard nosed rough and tough American personality on the field. Demarcus Beasley comes to mind... the guy went balls to the wall for 90 minutes and would run through a wall for the team. He would be all over even though he wasn’t the bigger guy out there. He would be getting fouled left and right on the pitch and he just never stopped...

With mckennie Adams and Sergeant they seem to have that mentality. We need to keep this mentality while developing more skilled players, not sacrificing one for the other... I absolutely loved what Miazga did against Mexico, showed an edge that has been missing from the USMNT... we have to remember that every team in concacaf hates us with a passion, especially Mexico.... it’s ok to have an edge and feel the same way towards them on the field

I get wanting to bring in a person who is familiar with the style and the heart of American soccer... with Juergen I think we were moving further away from it while we were trying to develop more skilled players... more skilled players is great but they seem to be losing that hard nosed rough and tough American personality on the field. Demarcus Beasley comes to mind... the guy went balls to the wall for 90 minutes and would run through a wall for the team. He would be all over even though he wasn’t the bigger guy out there. He would be getting fouled left and right on the pitch and he just never stopped...

With mckennie Adams and Sergeant they seem to have that mentality. We need to keep this mentality while developing more skilled players, not sacrificing one for the other... I absolutely loved what Miazga did against Mexico, showed an edge that has been missing from the USMNT... we have to remember that every team in concacaf hates us with a passion, especially Mexico.... it’s ok to have an edge and feel the same way towards them on the field

Loved what Miazga did as well ! There was nothing to apologize for on that one! The U.S is all about hard nosed play...we need a new Brian McBride! I do love Tyler Adam's, McKennie, Pulisic etc...there is some young talent to build on who do play hard and with that American edge.

I also think too, Tab will be the coach one day. Just don't think right now is the time.

Reactions: hallsoccer03
If you’re going to go the mls route, I’d go vermes in Kansas City. Track record of winning, building a program and developing players and played for USMNT, coaches in mls and played overseas as well.

Copa America to be moved to even years and played every four years during the same period as the European Championships. The 2020 tournament will be held again in the United States.

Will we have named a manager by then?

I promise I'll stop complaining about this soon. This entire process was such a joke. Standard for the USSF, MLS, and SUM!

I’m just used to it and it’s expected.. they knew who they wanted

For me it’s twofold:

Why Berhalter? What has he done that he was the clear cut choice, so much so that they didn’t even bothering interviewing anyone else?

Why has he not been hired yet and why wasn’t he hired months ago? We know this wasn’t Ernie Stewart’s decision. He should have been hired as soon as the USSF election was over. Now we’ve wasted a year of evaluations because you know Berhalter is only going to make judgements based on his camps and matches.

I want whoever is the manager to succeed and will support Berhalter until he gives me a reason not to, but this type of process and decision making is a joke.

It wreaks of American soccer/MLS politics.

For me it’s twofold:

Why Berhalter? What has he done that he was the clear cut choice, so much so that they didn’t even bothering interviewing anyone else?

Why has he not been hired yet and why wasn’t he hired months ago? We know this wasn’t Ernie Stewart’s decision. He should have been hired as soon as the USSF election was over. Now we’ve wasted a year of evaluations because you know Berhalter is only going to make judgements based on his camps and matches.

I want whoever is the manager to succeed and will support Berhalter until he gives me a reason not to, but this type of process and decision making is a joke.

It wreaks of American soccer/MLS politics.
IMO the powers that be decided after the debacle in Trinidad that this last year was going to be a throw away year. Just bring in as many young players as possible to see what they have and to widen the player pool. I think at first the intention wasn’t a full year but Sarachan had been a good enough job working with the young players and I think players like Sergeant, wear, Mckinnie Miazga etc have proven they can be called upon. Who knows what other crazy stuff goes on behind closed doors but the coach will be chosen within the week, sarachan will still be involved and the new coach will begin to get the full side ready for the gold cup.. no more experiments, they will start integrating the few veterans with the young guys...

The American Style gets you only so far in international competitions. The weakness of American Soccer has always been the lack of skilled players in the midfield and maintaining possession. Personally, I think they should pay Xavi to come here and coordinate Youth soccer with the emphasis on skills. To me, it is has been painful to watch the US team play.

The American Style gets you only so far in international competitions. The weakness of American Soccer has always been the lack of skilled players in the midfield and maintaining possession. Personally, I think they should pay Xavi to come here and coordinate Youth soccer with the emphasis on skills. To me, it is has been painful to watch the US team play.
I am not saying you can’t develop skills, but you can’t forget what you really do best. Our players naturally have more athleticism and strength, and really just plain heart and the drive to win.

Most countries have generations upon generations of a head start on us soccer in terms of developing skills and asystem. You can put more of an emphasis on developing skills... that has been happening, and I think a big reason for that are the players going over to Europe at a younger age, pulisic, mckinnie, weah, Sergeant, andwatch outfit thatkid Amon and the kid from Barcelona De La Fuente. There is more talent in the youth system than ever before, and that talent probably still can’t compare to france, Belgium and Spain, which is why those normal American strengths are something you cannot stray from because that is something a lot of those teamsdo not have and it’s a big reason why the us usually has a hard time with African teams. Using that style got the usa to a quarterfinal of a World Cup and they we’re pretty damn close to the semis, and used it to beat Spain in the confederations cup. The young guys will just get better.... a nice mix of the old style and the skill of these players will prove to be what sets us apart from the likes of Mexico in Concacaf.

Reactions: RLNJ13
Grant Wahl just reported that Julen Lopetegui inquired about the USMNT job after he was fired by Real Madrid but was told it was too late in the process for him to be considered. One year without a permanent coach, no formal interviews for any of the top candidates, and now we are turning away a guy who led Spain to an undefeated record for two consecutive years.

Berhalter better deliver.

Complete joke this whole process has been. I better hear Monday a coach is hired... I can see giving the current interim these last 2 friendlies to lead the team and then announce on Monday. This team has no direction at all. Are you going to go complete youth or sprinkle in a Bradley and Altidore.. to me no reason not to keep Altidore on.. but the whole process and team are stuck in neutral because no one knows the direction the program is going towards. You can tell it’s getting to some of the players and these last 2 friendlies show that.

I really think the young talent is impressive not just on the senior team but on the U-20 team too. I have a feeling some of the players on that team will be getting to big time clubs. But players like Weah, Seargent Mckinnie, Amon need to step up and be consistent regulars on their clubs.

To put this young talent in perspective, Sacha while at SHU and age he became pro was considered a young talent. Was on the Olympic team and national team. His talent at that age does not come close to the talent of Pulisic, Seargent, Weah, Mckinnie, Amon, and they are all younger than Sacha was when he became pro. Not a knock on Sacha at all but a testament to the increase in class... sad thing is it is no where near enough. Teams like Belgium, France have guys on the bench who are UCL team starters... that’s a big difference

Reactions: BabyBlue
Grant Wahl just reported that Julen Lopetegui inquired about the USMNT job after he was fired by Real Madrid but was told it was too late in the process for him to be considered. One year without a permanent coach, no formal interviews for any of the top candidates, and now we are turning away a guy who led Spain to an undefeated record for two consecutive years.

Berhalter better deliver.

That would be a ridiculous stance to take not to at least interview a coach who was at the helm of Spain and Real Madrid.

That would be a ridiculous stance to take not to at least interview a coach who was at the helm of Spain and Real Madrid.

The entire process has been a sham. They did not have a formal interview with any of the top candidates to my knowledge. To turn away Lopetegui for Berhalter? Insanity. You have to at least interview him!

The entire process has been a sham. They did not have a formal interview with any of the top candidates to my knowledge. To turn away Lopetegui for Berhalter? Insanity. You have to at least interview him!
But he has to have a good understanding of the American style of soccer and an understanding of the American player right?

But he has to have a good understanding of the American style of soccer and an understanding of the American player right?

Right, I'm not saying it's a sham that they didn't hire him, but when a coach of that caliber expresses interest in a job you have to at least interview him.

I can rant about this entire situation again, but my issue is that you can't fail to qualify for the World Cup a year ago, promise change, and then do nothing about it.

The USSF and MLS are going for the cheap option with ties to the Federation that will promote MLS and use the national team as a promotional tool. If it was a fair process where they interviewed all of the top candidates and decided on Berhalter it would make it at least a little more understandable. To not have formal interviews, wait a year to appoint the guy so he could coach the freakin Columbus Crew, and then not even hear Lopetegui out is a joke.

Right, I'm not saying it's a sham that they didn't hire him, but when a coach of that caliber expresses interest in a job you have to at least interview him.

I can rant about this entire situation again, but my issue is that you can't fail to qualify for the World Cup a year ago, promise change, and then do nothing about it.

The USSF and MLS are going for the cheap option with ties to the Federation that will promote MLS and use the national team as a promotional tool. If it was a fair process where they interviewed all of the top candidates and decided on Berhalter it would make it at least a little more understandable. To not have formal interviews, wait a year to appoint the guy so he could coach the freakin Columbus Crew, and then not even hear Lopetegui out is a joke.
Oh I agree with you 100% my post was in gest mocking the crap they have been saying about what kind of coach they want. Don’t worry about getting the best coach or anything.. they knew exactly who they wanted from the beginning and the search has been BS. Now that Berhalter is available crickets again. Depending on what you believe Berhalter hasn’t had any conversations which I think is BS. I know the USSF loves Tab Ramos... do I think he is heir choice... no. But I believe he would be a better choice than Berhalter at this point. Tab needs to get. Professional coaching gig. He does not expect to go from U-20’s to USMNT manager..

Oh I agree with you 100% my post was in gest mocking the crap they have been saying about what kind of coach they want. Don’t worry about getting the best coach or anything.. they knew exactly who they wanted from the beginning and the search has been BS. Now that Berhalter is available crickets again. Depending on what you believe Berhalter hasn’t had any conversations which I think is BS. I know the USSF loves Tab Ramos... do I think he is heir choice... no. But I believe he would be a better choice than Berhalter at this point. Tab needs to get. Professional coaching gig. He does not expect to go from U-20’s to USMNT manager..

Ahhh, sorry for the mix up. The entire process has driven me crazy. It's just more of the same crap we've seen for years. While Klinsmann was far from perfect and would have been much better suited for the role they gave Earnie Stewart than as manager, he at least challenged the status quo in this country and made MLS uncomfortable. What we are going to get now is more politics dictated by MLS, USSF, and SUM driving all of the decision making regarding the USMNT.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...smnt-julen-lopetegui-head-coach-interest-deny

They're probably the best source on all things USMNT. There are some people in the comments that are pretty tuned in to what is going on with this garbage.

I am honestly not 100% sure Berhalter is the choice...

I remember someone who knows Ernie Stewart well said that if you read or hear something and people are saying it’s true or what is going to happen, then it isn’t going to happen.Stewart tells no one what’s happening And it’s impossible to get a leak. Basically if you hear it then it’s not true. Not sure if this is the case with Berhalter but it deserves consideration

Last edited:
I am honestly not 100% sure Berhalter is the choice...

If he's not the choice then I'm going to throw my hands up and give up lol. The only explanation I could think of as to why they haven't hired anyone is because they told Berhalter they'd allow him to finish this past season in MLS. If he's not the choice what the hell was the reason for the delay?!

Now you've got me all worked up again lol.

If he's not the choice then I'm going to throw my hands up and give up lol. The only explanation I could think of as to why they haven't hired anyone is because they told Berhalter they'd allow him to finish this past season in MLS. If he's not the choice what the hell was the reason for the delay?!

Now you've got me all worked up again lol.
Haha I’m not sure but I don’t think it’s a done deal like everyone says. I could see them giving Sarachan the space for these last 2 games. Could they be waiting for Tab to finish U-20 qualifying? Last time I had contact with Tab was early August and he seemed pretty confident he wouldn’t be considered until he had professional coaching experience. He also had no idea how the search was going or who they were looking at

This disaster has put US Soccer Fandom behind....some people use to care now no one really does.
People will care once the Gold Cup comes around. US soccer has not played a game that meant something in over a year. Problem is if they lay an egg in the gold cup heads will spin

Tab Ramos and the u20 team just steamrolled to the concacaf championship... Eamos was offered the interim job last year but knew he would just be baby sitting just like Sarachan did. Ramos is the best American candidate for the job. He probably won’t get it but he’s the best one.

Looking like Berhalter it is and looks as if Tab Ramos will be getting an MLS job which is long overdue. Tab is the future coach of the USMNT

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT