ADVERTISEMENT

Val Ackerman

If Dave Gavitt was still alive this wouldn't have happened.Football conferences are taking over college sports.Hard to believe Mountain West qualifies six teams.
The mvc did in 2006 deal with it and get over it...mwc would had have 5 locks the tourney outcome gave them 6...big east and shu loyalists should not be upset about mwc

Fact: Conference affiliation has no bearing on selection. Teams are looked at individually, not by conference. Ask anybody who covers this stuff for a living instead of spouting nonsense.

Yes, I feel the committee made the best decisions based on merit. They might have missed on a team or two, but that's the way it goes. Life isn't perfect.
In all honesty no one knows what is fact with the committee anymore. Things change year to year with what how the separate teams… you can objectively make a case for shu to get in over Virginia and to make a case to get in over MsU and they both got in as 9 seeds… not in as one of the last 4 teams…

Somebody turn off Val’s mute button. That can be the only reason we’re not hearing from her. Why do the Football conferences lobby loudly and the BE remains on radio silence?

• Love
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Bias against Eastern teams. Even Marquette and Creighton are midwestern teams!! Big East officials better be all over this !!

• Love
The mvc did in 2006 deal with it and get over it...mwc would had have 5 locks the tourney outcome gave them 6...big east and shu loyalists should not be upset about mwc
Many people talk about how the B12 gamed the net. Well the MVC really took advantage of net. Even Rick's son didn't think New Mexico was getting in unless they won the MVC tournament. They played 11 Q4 games and lost one. Plus lost a Q3 game. The only good OOC team they played was Saint Marys. Colorado State? Man that win over Creighton went a long way. Like I posted if only we had won the Creighton game.

You can legitimately question our Commissioners silence on both SH and SJU not making the NCAA’s but why are the school’s presidents not asking why she hasn’t done so and directing her to so.

Reactions: LBP43
I am hearing that Val appointed the outgoing Butler a A.D. as our representative to the selection committee and he was MIA as an advocate for the conference.

For what it's worth, pretty much every Connecticut fan I've spoken with is absolutely livid about how you guys the Johnnies and even Providence got hosed. It's unbelievable to me that Val is not all over the airwaves with key metrics in hand explaining how our teams were clearly better choices than the other teams that got in ahead of us.

This isn't a Seton Hall issue, it's a conference issue and she should be all over it.

I am hearing that Val appointed the outgoing Butler a A.D. as our representative to the selection committee and he was MIA as an advocate for the conference.

For what it's worth, pretty much every Connecticut fan I've spoken with is absolutely livid about how you guys the Johnnies and even Providence got hosed. It's unbelievable to me that Val is not all over the airwaves with key metrics in hand explaining how our teams were clearly better choices than the other teams that got in ahead of us.

This isn't a Seton Hall issue, it's a conference issue and she should be all over it.
This is misinformation, no seated commissioner appoints someone to the selection committee

A statement or a tweet from Ackerman isn’t going to change anything. It’s over. If there are concerns, have a meeting with the committee at the a time and express your position.

I get the point about it being a BE snub but we were on the bubble the last several weeks. Moral of the story, don’t be on the bubble. You can’t control everything.

Reactions: shu09
Who else is left? SEC?
There is no more PAC 10. There’s not much choice.

Then again…a creative and interesting partner might be the Mountain West.

6 bids this year….

Where are the remaining Pac 10 schools going…

Travel, but not if it a2 game with a return visit (2 game set) among conference members.

Just a thought…but have to think outside the box on this one I think and be ahead of the next move if possible
The Mt West just got their hands on the Pac's bids and some . Football schools taking care of football schools. It's as plain as dog's balls.

Her email is vackerman@bigeast.com. I have already emailed her and all big east fans should also do the same and explain our concerns over the treatment of our conference. To their credit coach Hurley , Holloway and English from Providence have spoken out even our AD . Need more of that .

Reactions: garyshu71 and CL82
This is misinformation, no seated commissioner appoints someone to the selection committee
I've heard it from a couple of people, but you know how that is they all could be working off the same source. Who appointed Barry Collier to the selection committee then?

He had to leave the room when other Big East teams were being discussed

I've heard it from a couple of people, but you know how that is they all could be working off the same source. Who appointed Barry Collier to the selection committee then?
They serve 5 year terms i believe there is a nominating process at spring meetings

And btw there is a specific format used to get AD and conf commish repped on the committee from across all the member schools and conferences

I can only imagine the crazy convos behind the closed doors. It’s more about marketing and brand the having any actual impact. Business 101.

A basketball only league that only gets in 3 members while trying to negotiate a new contract isnt Ideal.

Her email is vackerman@bigeast.com. I have already emailed her and all big east fans should also do the same and explain our concerns over the treatment of our conference. To their credit coach Hurley , Holloway and English from Providence have spoken out even our AD . Need more of that .
Done.

Commissioner Ackerman,

Please let this email serve as my request that you speak publicly, repeatedly, regarding Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence being excluded from the NCAA tournament despite being members of the second ranked conference in the nation, having winning records, and multiple quad 1 and quad 2 victories.

The Big East Conference is an extraordinarily competitive conference with games against some of the best teams and coaches in the nation. There will always be metrics in which our teams excel and some which are lower than other available teams. I very strongly encourage you to speak publicly emphasizing the most favorable metrics for the teams describe above in publicly stating that you find it shocking, as I do, that none of these three teams were seen as being fit to play in the NCAA tournament. Your frequent and fervent public comment now will go along way to preventing what is universally acknowledged as an egregious slight to the conference from becoming a reoccurring practice.

I truly believe that each of these teams had the potential to get out of the first weekend given the level of play in our conference. The level of play of our conference prepares our schools for the rigors of the NCAA tournament. As the phrase goes, iron sharpens iron.

Please be advised that I am not a fan of any of the excluded schools. But I am very conscious of the fact that by only getting three schools in the tournament are opportunity to earn NCAA credits is severely diminished. As you are well aware, the Big East receives only a fraction of the media dollars received by the "Power 5" schools. NCAA credit distributions to conference members help our member schools compete.

Finally, I hope you have spoken privately to Barry Collier demanding an explanation as to why our schools were overlooked not with standing superior metrics and key areas. It is, to be frank, an outage and makes one question whether he was even minimally effective in the room.

I very much hope to see your public presence leading the charge on this issue.

Who nominates them? I hope that we do not have five more years of Collier.
committee consist of one member selected from each of the five autonomy conferences and three members selected from the seven highest-ranked nonautonomy conferences based on basketball success. The remaining four members are selected from the 20 other conferences. All appointments will be for five years.

At a spring conference gathering the member schools vote on it

Known for a fact that the "retiring " Butler AD did absolutely nothing for Big East an --empty suit is whom he is /was-( sorry to insult a suit)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT