ADVERTISEMENT

Val Ackerman

Biggest thing she can do is find a way of getting teams more exposure OOC. Losing the Big Ten will hurt us but we need to expand past just the Big 12.

Reactions: SHU Advisory
Why? She can't control how teams perform on the court. Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, and Villanova weren't among the best 36 at-large teams. It's that simple.
No one who spends a moment of time on CBB thinks it’s that simple. And even if it was just that simple, what makes their methodology beyond reproach?

Why? She can't control how teams perform on the court. Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, and Villanova weren't among the best 36 at-large teams. It's that simple.
False. As much as you try to petition against Seton Hall, look at it objectively. Virginia, Dayton, FAU, and Michigan State were not deserving. I know it feels good to be right, but it’s ok to support what’s right. Val should speak up as well as every coach in our conference. We’re clearly on life support if this is how they view us. Absolute hose job.

She’s not one to exert influence. She’s never campaigning.
I have a problem with that. You don't want to look small time and desperate but a tweet calling for a fairer selection method would have been helpful.

Biggest thing she can do is find a way of getting teams more exposure OOC. Losing the Big Ten will hurt us but we need to expand past just the Big 12.
Who else is left? SEC?
There is no more PAC 10. There’s not much choice.

Then again…a creative and interesting partner might be the Mountain West.

6 bids this year….

Where are the remaining Pac 10 schools going…

Travel, but not if it a2 game with a return visit (2 game set) among conference members.

Just a thought…but have to think outside the box on this one I think and be ahead of the next move if possible

Val has lead the BE very well. Two MSG extensions. Adding UCONN at the right time. I would imagine her focus is on the next media deal with Fox. Sure she could put out a statement but I would bet she is not too happy and making her viewpoint known behind the scenes.

I'm not either, but the pure W/L resume is good enough. That's the primary thing.
Obviously the committee values things different, or weighted differently, then perhaps schools/fans have for years.

So…NCAA, us the magic formula…or at least tell us what to focus on…OOC games… road games of any sort…conference games count equal to OOC or a little higher weight, win margin in each game, ie > 15,20, 25, 30, etc., regardless the level of competition?

Etc.

To me, I don’t understand teams like Virginia (who I think is massively overrated), Michigan State, they of what, 14 losses, and maybe Colorado.

I get the bid stealer thing, but the question is, should we have been left out at the cost of the last 4 in?

And I know…it isn’t a clear answer. I do agree, the committee may have had one if they toughest jobs ever… so I know that could have gone either way.

But when I look at the metrics/ and narrotive the Selection Committee is now putting out there…I think we had a legitimate shot…but just feel short. Perhaps for the wrong reasons, ie the teams I list above.

the commissioner needs to be dealing on this. right or wrong. the conference is constantly at risk of being pushed out. the job requires the campaigning.

Two separate points.Football conferences 1 and Mountain West 2.Don't combine them.

You said the football conferences are taking over college sports. The Mountain West is not a power football conference. Why would the committee go out of their way to help them if they're trying to take over?

Ah yes, the vaunted Mountain West football conference, taking over. Come on!!!
To be fair the MWC is horrendously overrated for multiple years in a row now…and perform TERRIBLY in the NCAAT (even if it is random single game roulette)

But they have been open about being on the same page and working the metrics and the net..listen to Lappas interviews, they don’t hide that they tell their teams a blueprint and it works

I think the NBE should have been on this.:also DePaul, Michigan, Rutgers etc being SOOO bad hurt NBE bubble team NETs in a very weird fluke way this year

Majority Fox. You think Boise State, Colorado State, and Nevada’s resumes measure up to the 3 Big East snubs?

Lol, moving the goal posts now. Fact: CBS and CBSSN televises Big East games.

Yes. Colorado State won 24 games including Creighton and Colorado out of the league. Nevada went 13-5 in a pretty good league and did pick up a non-conference win over TCU. Boise State is a little more questionable.

It's clear non-conference performance and scheduling was used as a differentiator for those teams around the cut line. Again, something not good for Seton Hall.

Last edited:
Lol, moving the goal posts now. Fact: CBS and CBSSN televises Big East games.
Fact: a worse Mountain West conference got 6 teams in to the Big East’s 3.

Fact: a worse Big Ten conference got 6 teams in to the Big East’s 3.

Fact: FAU and Dayton got bids over 3 more deserving Big East teams.

And don’t even get me started on Colorado and Texas A&M.

I take it you genuinely feel the committee made these decisions based on merit with no outside influence whatsoever. I commend you on your naivety.

Fact: a worse Mountain West conference got 6 teams in to the Big East’s 3.

Fact: a worse Big Ten conference got 6 teams in to the Big East’s 3.

Fact: FAU and Dayton got bids over 3 more deserving Big East teams.

And don’t even get me started on Colorado and Texas A&M.

I take it you genuinely feel the committee made these decisions based on merit with no outside influence whatsoever. I commend you on your naivety.

Fact: Conference affiliation has no bearing on selection. Teams are looked at individually, not by conference. Ask anybody who covers this stuff for a living instead of spouting nonsense.

Yes, I feel the committee made the best decisions based on merit. They might have missed on a team or two, but that's the way it goes. Life isn't perfect.

Fact: Conference affiliation has no bearing on selection. Teams are looked at individually, not by conference. Ask anybody who covers this stuff for a living instead of spouting nonsense.

Yes, I feel the committee made the best decisions based on merit. They might have missed on a team or two, but that's the way it goes. Life isn't perfect.
The committee member from UNC was asked and he couldn’t answer the question but sure.

Not exactly apples to oranges but Lappas (who does cover this stuff) has done multiple interviews this week (he called the MWC) that they have a top down plan on how to make the net strong for each team

He has even said manipulate the net..so to your point no…thats not conference affiliation BUT conferences to have stepping orders and it’s not necessarily because they play good basketball or are good teams..they work to work the numbers

So based on your infallible committee which may have missed on a team or two and had us as the second team out, we got screwed. Unless of course you don’t think we were deserving of being only 2 off the cut line.

We got screwed. St. John’s got screwed. Providence got screwed. The Big East got screwed. Just admit it already.

Every year someone always whines that they got screwed, even though objective people know they didn't. Nothing new. Buzz Williams wrote an entire manifesto one year. It's all laughable.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
Who else is left? SEC?
There is no more PAC 10. There’s not much choice.

Then again…a creative and interesting partner might be the Mountain West.

6 bids this year….

Where are the remaining Pac 10 schools going…

Travel, but not if it a2 game with a return visit (2 game set) among conference members.

Just a thought…but have to think outside the box on this one I think and be ahead of the next move if possible
Can’t partner with a non P6, that would look awful. No thanks!

Val has lead the BE very well. Two MSG extensions. Adding UCONN at the right time. I would imagine her focus is on the next media deal with Fox. Sure she could put out a statement but I would bet she is not too happy and making her viewpoint known behind the scenes.
Whining would only have consequences. Let's pray that one of our teams wins the NCAA tournament and one wins the NIT. We have a team in every bracket of the NIT, put 2 or 3 in the final four and send a message.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT