ADVERTISEMENT

Verne Lundquist steps away from CBS’ college hoops booth

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
By Justin Terranova

March 5, 2018 | 10:00am |

The NCAA Tournament will have a different broadcasting feel for the first time in 20 years.

Verne Lundquist, who had stepped out of the college football booth last year, will not be in his familiar place next to Bill Raftery in the early rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

The 77-year-old Lundquist, a source said, felt it was the right time to step away following back surgery in November, given the challenges of calling four games in one day as announcers do during the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. Lundquist and Raftery were among the network’s most popular pairings.

Brad Nessler, who replaced Lundquist for SEC football games, will call the first two rounds of the tournament this year. Ian Eagle will now call games through the regional finals for the first time. Raftery will now call the whole tournament, and not just the Final Four, alongside Jim Nantz and Grant Hill.

Lundquist will continue to be a part of CBS’ golf coverage and will be in the tower at the 16th hole at the Masters for next month’s first major.

He started his second stint with CBS in 1998 and has been a prominent basketball, football and golf voice throughout his career.

Hello Friends.

Raf and McDonough used to be perfection. even with Bilas added in later, they were the best.

That ending was the worst thing of the ESPN destruction of the Big East from a TV perspective.

By Justin Terranova

March 5, 2018 | 10:00am |

The NCAA Tournament will have a different broadcasting feel for the first time in 20 years.

Verne Lundquist, who had stepped out of the college football booth last year, will not be in his familiar place next to Bill Raftery in the early rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

The 77-year-old Lundquist, a source said, felt it was the right time to step away following back surgery in November, given the challenges of calling four games in one day as announcers do during the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. Lundquist and Raftery were among the network’s most popular pairings.

Brad Nessler, who replaced Lundquist for SEC football games, will call the first two rounds of the tournament this year. Ian Eagle will now call games through the regional finals for the first time. Raftery will now call the whole tournament, and not just the Final Four, alongside Jim Nantz and Grant Hill.

Lundquist will continue to be a part of CBS’ golf coverage and will be in the tower at the 16th hole at the Masters for next month’s first major.

He started his second stint with CBS in 1998 and has been a prominent basketball, football and golf voice throughout his career.

His whole claim to fame is “Yes Sir!”

His claim to fame is his call on Jackie Smith’s dropped TD pass in the Super Bowl.

I like Verne. Always seemed genuine to me and I thought he knew his role too and let the color guy do his thing. Some lead announcers try to do too much and it comes off badly.

Off-topic, but back in the late 80s early 90s there was a guy who did Big East games who always said "bending, bending in" for balls on the rim. Anybody remember him? The google machine was not helpful. Thanks

I don't think so. Can't remember his name but he now works out west, although he does come east at times to do a few games. Bald black man. Very affable and well liked.

I don't think so. Can't remember his name but he now works out west, although he does come east at times to do a few games. Bald black man. Very affable and well liked.

You're thinking of Dave Sims. Now the PxP man for the Seattle Mariners. He did call a few Seton Hall games this season but did more Big East games 10-15 years ago.

Reactions: Halldan1
Off-topic, but back in the late 80s early 90s there was a guy who did Big East games who always said "bending, bending in" for balls on the rim. Anybody remember him? The google machine was not helpful. Thanks
Mike Gorman?

Nope, as noted above it was Sims. Just couldn't think of his name.

Is that the same Dave Sims that was on WFAN with Bill Mazer in the late 80's? I believe they did the show from Mickey Mantle's restaurant.

Ya know you're right and I'm wrong. I can hear Gorman saying that on just about every shot that hit the rim.

Good call.

His whole claim to fame is “Yes Sir!”
That's just the point. Lundquist always put the viewer ahead of himself, providing clear, informed, and interesting calls, rather than serving himself with some self-promotional signature line. There's no "It is high, it is far, it is gone" or 'Rise and fire" nonsense. None of Nantz's smugness or Musburger's lechery, either.

I've always appreciated him for it. If he's in fact finished, I'll miss him.

Hey, what am I invisible?????

I told you guys above that the announcer you’re wondering about is John Sanders!!!!!! (Not to be confused with the late John Saunders from ESPN).

By the way, Mike Gorman - a Providence guy who still does the Celtics had a call of “GOT IT!” on tough or long jumpers.

Hey, what am I invisible?????

I told you guys above that the announcer you’re wondering about is John Sanders!!!!!! (Not to be confused with the late John Saunders from ESPN).

By the way, Mike Gorman - a Providence guy who still does the Celtics had a call of “GOT IT!” on tough or long jumpers.
Sanders used to do it for sure (and he called games much more recently than 80s/early 90's). But did Gorman do it too? I really don't remember to be honest. Sometimes I put on Celtics highlights just for the Gorman nostalgia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT