ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Taking on DePaul for the Championship Thread

We are pressing hard but not cutting into the lead so far. Man, this is frustrating.

They're off tonight. Too many open 3 by DePaul and they usually can keep up with DePaul on offense. Game is not over just yet.

You cannot win if the other team throws up circus shots and makes them.

Man, they get repeatedly hacked with no call until the third or fourth hack

They need to get Tab some shots. Simmons and Simmons specialize in these comebacks, but they're forcing a bit
right now.

I do not watch much women's ball but man the refs let a lot go. Not sure if that is normal.

Originally posted by Section112:
DePaul getting a good whistle. They are allowed to hold us like crazy and no call. Home game.
We never, ever get a friendly whistle. We are certainly struggling but the officiating and no calls against DePaul are not helping!

Originally posted by Jerry1992:
I do not watch much women's ball but man the refs let a lot go. Not sure if that is normal.
For Seton Hall, men or women, this is business as usual!

OK, tough night and DePaul was probably more relaxed in their backyard. SHU struggled all year for the most part in the Friday/Sunday 2 game schedule. So you had to figure 3 games in 3 days would be an issue. Not really excuses, but it's tough with our backcourt gals logging so many minutes.

So what happens now?? I guess we have to be confident that we're in the NCAA's, but you never know. The RPI shouldn't drop too much and they should still be a top 30 team going into Selection Monday as far as rankings.

They need to regroup and be proud of their Regular Season. Let their resume stand. They've done enough in my opinion to be selected.

It's very, very hard to beat a good team 3 times. Just didn't have it tonight, I don't think this loss will hurt their seed that much.

It's hard to criticize the team too much. They're 28-5. They've had a great season, and it's not over.

It was just a case of too much one-on-one, and not getting the ball to TRS and Johnson enough. What resulted was 12 turnovers by Simmons and Simmons.

Did they even run any set plays?

Daisha was 4-17 while TRS was 3-8. Johnson was 4-8.

Give DePaul credit for hitting their 3-pointers. Villanova did a much better job yesterday, holding DePaul to five. Today they hit nine.

It's very disappointing, but I'm going to maintain perspective. This team will still hang a BE regular-season championship banner and it's highly likely they will hang an NCAA banner.

There is more basketball to play.

Go Pirates.

Let's get in and hopefully No UConn. I'd rather see them go out west with no fans than see them play
a Pro team near home.

The woman Pirates were 28-5 for the regular season, won the Big East regular season title before losing in the Championship game at DePaul's home court and were ranked #24 in the nation. No way to look at this as anything but a GREAT SEASON. Congrats to this team and now on to the NCAA's.

Tom K

I just hope that when NCAA play starts they will make it a top priority to defend the 3-point shooters. They have been burned by wide open shooters repeatedly. It may just be their top defensive issue.

And nobody should be raving about the fact that the team has come back from large deficits. That only means you're constantly falling behind by large margins.

I think the leaders on the team will rally the troops, practice hard and will get re-focused for The Dance.

Just a great season with the Big Dance to look forward to,hopefully we get a chance to see them play.I will say one thing,never saw a team miss so many layups and still win 28 games.

Originally posted by 400SOAVE:
I just hope that when NCAA play starts they will make it a top priority to defend the 3-point shooters. They have been burned by wide open shooters repeatedly. It may just be their top defensive issue.

And nobody should be raving about the fact that the team has come back from large deficits. That only means you're constantly falling behind by large margins.

I think the leaders on the team will rally the troops, practice hard and will get re-focused for The Dance.
I'm not sure this is the night to dissect how they'll gameplan in the Tournament. They must pass the ball more on the offensive end. Good teams pass more which this team is more than capable of. They get into trouble when they pound the ball. More balance and they'll be OK. The next team we play won't be so familiar with our players and that should bode well.

You're probably right, NYC.

The team is just really good and they have several players who are among the best in the BE. When the expectation is so high, the disappointment is greater. You then start dissecting the game.

As they say, on any given day you can win or lose a game.

You're also right about the passing. Daisha, for example, is such an unstoppable dribble perpetrator that she draws defenders. That means she could be passing to open shooters more often.

One game at a time. Next game is round one of the NCAA.

We had a magnificent season and a bad game

Missing those bunnies early on set us back. And DePaul coach Doug Bruno put the clamps on Tab. Smart coaching.

DePaul is very very good with the best program in the conference. Go to the dance most every year.

Bright note:Kat Egan ( RS Soph- St. John Vianney) gave us great minutes and she could be important next week.

I wish they'd pass the ball to her more- she had some open looks cutting to the basket. But it may not be Tony's plan.

All in all, our girls left it all out on the floor with more to come.

We can't ask for more than that.

Why Not Seton Hall? Damn right.

This post was edited on 3/11 7:50 AM by Pirate64

I sure hope we get in. Do you think Iona men should get in? In a league of our stature, speaking with little knowledge of the sport, I am nervous for the team.

Awful starts in both half even from this team...ugh

Tough loss last night, but what a tremendous season for Tony and the team! Hoping they make the dance and have a good run. It's been a long time and kudo's to Tony for making WBB relevant again!!!

Originally posted by 400SOAVE:
It's hard to criticize the team too much. They're 28-5. They've had a great season, and it's not over.

It was just a case of too much one-on-one, and not getting the ball to TRS and Johnson enough. What resulted was 12 turnovers by Simmons and Simmons.

Did they even run any set plays?

Daisha was 4-17 while TRS was 3-8. Johnson was 4-8.

Give DePaul credit for hitting their 3-pointers. Villanova did a much better job yesterday, holding DePaul to five. Today they hit nine.

It's very disappointing, but I'm going to maintain perspective. This team will still hang a BE regular-season championship banner and it's highly likely they will hang an NCAA banner.

There is more basketball to play.

Go Pirates.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on last night. DePaul had a great gameplan to take us out of our rhythm and we never were able to fully recover after getting in the early hole. I was confident going into halftime, but DePaul just slammed the door shut to start the second half.

Tony is a pretty amazing guy....sent him a short note congratulating him and the team this morning for a great showing and less than 15 minutes later, he sends a very personal response. I've never met him personally so he owes me nothing but he found the time after what had to be an exhausting week...what a great coach and representative of the University!

Iona Men were never ranked this season. This team has been ranked or close to it the entire season. I think Villanova, SJU and Creighton would give many teams out of conference a tough time if the games were played at this point in the season. The BigEast is probably a better conference in March as a group than it was in November and December.

Our Women's Basketball Team is quite similar to the Women's Volleyball Team. Both advanced to the Championship game and had great success against the eventual Tournament Winners. The Women's Basketball is in a better place than Volleyball team was in at selection time. How many spots should SHU drop in the ratings this week? I'm thinking to about 28 or 29. Not sure there. That's still an NCAA qualifier in my opinion.

The Volleyball team was unfortunately matched with BYU the National Semi-Finalists. That was too bad because the gals were a bit over matched. I'd like to see the Women's Basketball Team avoid UConn and go as far as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT