ADVERTISEMENT

WBB taking on SJU - game thread

Only 9 turnovers given the pace they play is incredible.

I am still adjusting to Officiating in the Women's Game.

Great effort by the entire team. Every single player brought something to the table tonight. On to the Championship
Game at 28-4. Fantastic Season so far and just about punched ticket, just about?

72-60 Final.

That was fun to watch, always proud when any team with " SHU " on their uniform wins.

Go Pirates !!

He'll of a game! He'll of a team! He'll of a coach! Couldn't happen to a better group of players and coaches and it just makes you proud.

It was also very inspiring listening to his "inside the huddle" ... "COME ON SETON HALL!!! KEEP IT UP!!" ... Simple awesome job Tony and Team!

Great win for the Lady Pirates.I really enjoy watching this team play,Tony is doing a very good job.He knows how to win.

Great job, Pirates.

The team looked very good, especially on defense. I'm surprised they did not press in the second half. They were really able to disrupt SJ in the first half.

Their offense is also so much more under control. They take a lot fewer bad shots and forced shots compared to earlier this season, especially Daisha who has done an amazing job melding into the team concept in one season.

And their ability to finish has also sharply improved.

Get one more tomorrow.

Go Pirates!

I never usually watch women's basketball, but I will continue watching the Seton Hall Lady Pirates. The 1st half they were knocking down 3's, then in the 2nd half they moved the ball and took it to the basket or knocked down mid range shots. Impressed with the great team effort and what a job by Didi running the team. Go Pirates!!! Great job by Didi during the end of game interview, a nice intelligent young lady.

Originally posted by shupat08:
It was also very inspiring listening to his "inside the huddle" ... "COME ON SETON HALL!!! KEEP IT UP!!" ... Simple awesome job Tony and Team!
He says climb that mountain, we all would give our last breath climbing that mountain.

Nova or DePaul? I would think we want nova since DePaul would have a home crowd advantage.

Chizzy's development is uncanny.

And Tony keeps it simple : " Presssure, pressure, pressure!!!!! And when we get the ball run as fast as you can so we have open lanes for layups."

Notice how he keeps the team alert by shouting orders constantly.

Never, ever give in.

This post was edited on 3/9 8:48 PM by Pirate64

Blue Pirate-

++1

Once you get to know Tony and meet the team you realize they are very special.

This post was edited on 3/9 8:47 PM by buzzershot

Here's something amazing:

I believe that Johnson scored two points in the second half. TRS scored one point. Yet they still outscored SJ 34-33 in the second half.

How does that happen? Defense, passing and team play.

Janee Johnson was a freshman at Duke and highly regarded. Blew out her knee and ended up at Seton Hall. So glad she is a Pirate. Keep it going Janee!!!

80, thanks for the foul discrepancy, this is common for us.

Some guy just called Hall Line criticizing coach B for not encouraging bench players to shoot. Either this guy is a disgruntled parent or has not watched all the games. The hosts correctly explained that coach has been urging them to shoot. I have watched closely. Many of them do not have confidence in their own shot, and decide to turn down an open look. I laud them for team first! And they will get their shots in time.

Buzzershot++++++++++

I heard that call.

I think he actually meant it in a positive way. He was thinking about getting those players ready for next season.

That's a nice thought but when you have players like Simmons, Simmons, Johnson, TRS and the others on the floor, they will take the overwhelming majority of minutes and shots. Those players need to be on the floor as much as possible.

I believe the other players will catch up in ability and experience. They are, however, not there yet. They are doing a nice job with their spot minutes. That's team ball. Take advantage of whatever minutes you get.

Hmm, something about how he said it gave me a weird feeling, or in the best case that he has seen very few games,

I think Inman and Egan both began to blossom and will have more impact.

This summer will be important for Tara Inman,Kat Egan, Claire Lundberg and Teresa Kucera. I'm sure they will be working on getting stronger and more confident In the same way that Chizzy, Janee, and Tab have.

Tara showed that tonight- 10 great minutes with Richardson-Smith in foul trouble. . And Kat has given us great minutes lately.

Every player improves under Tony and staff. No exceptions. He's a motivational/ teaching coach.

17217815-mmmain.jpg

Originally posted by NYC Pirate:

Not much to adjust to. Seton Hall doest get favorable calls on the women's side either! Thankfully the women know how to overcome 5 on 8 officiating.

Did you see the SJU girl grab a loose ball under the basket, then take several steps backward without putting the ball on the floor, then take a shot. It was such an obvious walk it looked like a comedy.

That's a crazy picture! LOL. Tonys awesome.

He has some interesting sideline postures!

Correction: Johnson did not score in the second half. TRS scored four points.

All-Out Defense + Team Ball = Victory.

clapping, just keep clapping...that's what I do for the ladies..great job, keep it up!

It's amazing that SHU still gets no respect, although I'm not surprised coming from St. John's.

Here's a Q & A after the game.

Q. Aliyyah, what is it that Seton Hall
does that can make them so tough to stop at
times?

ALIYYAH HANDFORD: To be honest,
nothing. It's just the way we go out. They're a
great team, but we're also a great team, too, so it's
just the way that we come out.

Below is the coach trying to bail her out, and not doing a very good job. He's really taking a no-so-subtle slap at the Hall.

Thanks, SJ. I hope the Pirates will be even more motivated.

Give Aliyyah a little bit of cushion there. She just came off a loss, so I don't want to phrase it like nothing, all right. However, Seton Hall obviously if you watch the first game and you watch them all year, they pick their
points to pressure you and to try to turn it over, try to make you play faster, and there were points
tonight that I thought they did that, and that was part of it. I think they think they're going to speed
you up and when you start taking bad shots, they pressure you, they take you out of things you want
to do. It makes it difficult. When we have to go to our bench at times or we're in foul trouble or we're
putting different lineups out, we struggle, that's not a secret, and tonight was no different.

To their credit they kept us off balance with the pressure. I think that's what they've been good
at. If you look at a lot of their games they've made some significant comebacks in games because of
that pressure, and they can make shots. So it's a big part. They're an experienced team. It's a team
that I've probably -- and I don't know if I'll see it again -- hopefully we don't see it again -- of players
who have six-year experience, five-year experience and older guys in different classes. It's
a veteran group that's impressive. And for that -- I'm happy for a kid like Dee Dee Simmons who I
love, who I know well, that she has an opportunity in her career now, at least in her last year, to get a
chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. For them, I wish them the best, and we move on.

Our ladies need to keep a copy of this and read it before next year's contests and slam the crap out of the Johnnies...again!

DePaul defeated Nova 58-55 tonight and that is further good news. No team in the conference took a bid away. It seems
like SHU and DePaul should be OK.

Now they need to go out and take the BigEast crown.

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
Talk about fouls, SJU was 14-18 , SH was 2-6.
Our strategy was to attack them hard on D and play on the outside on offense. It worked very well tonight, which meant that we didn't get many free throws. Yeah, there were a few questionable no-calls in the first half, but in the second, everything was called properly based on how the game was going. No issues with the refs tonight. We played the style we needed to play and we executed and won by a lot. Let's get the big win tomorrow!

Originally posted by SHUisNJsTeam:

Not much to adjust to. Seton Hall doest get favorable calls on the women's side either! Thankfully the women know how to overcome 5 on 8 officiating.
And you clearly didn't watch this game.

Outside of the game at Marquette (when we blew it in so many ways, the bad refs were just another part of it), we have gotten a fair to favorable whistle this season. Hell, if Handford doesn't get multiple phantom fouls called on her at Walsh Gym on Super Bowl Sunday, SJ probably would have completed that comeback.

Nice win Shu Pirates!
This post was edited on 3/10 7:39 AM by Seton75

Originally posted by Pirate64:
Chizzy's development is uncanny.

And Tony keeps it simple : " Presssure, pressure, pressure!!!!! And when we get the ball run as fast as you can so we have open lanes for layups."

Notice how he keeps the team alert by shouting orders constantly.

Never, ever give in.
A shame Ali had to be kicked off the team. She was the starting center and was our best rebounder. She was also good for 8-10 points per game. Her loss will be felt in the Dance.

Originally posted by Pirate6711:

Originally posted by SHUisNJsTeam:

And you clearly didn't watch this game.

Outside of the game at Marquette (when we blew it in so many ways, the bad refs were just another part of it), we have gotten a fair to favorable whistle this season. Hell, if Handford doesn't get multiple phantom fouls called on her at Walsh Gym on Super Bowl Sunday, SJ probably would have completed that comeback.

I wasn't talking about this game specifically, I was speaking in general. And yes, I did watch the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT