ADVERTISEMENT

While Everyone is Tripping over themselves to give Angel a pass...

Fordham_57

All World
Jun 3, 2001
Yes, everyone wants to go out of their way to thank Angel and wish him well, yadayadyada, but I would like to admonish him.

Leaving so unexpectedly has left Seton Hall in a lurch and does not reflect well on his good intentions. He could have and should have certainly given a more realistic heads up that he might be leaving , thereby allowing the staff to make alternative plans to somewhat cover his departure.

So yes, Angel we thank you and all that, but you should have manned up and given more adequate and timely notice of your departure so as not to desert your teammates and fans who were anticipating the promise of a wild ride with you aboard.

Yes, Angel. Your bad. But it's not too late to reverse course and delay your departure so as to complete the mission that you and your teammates set out to accomplish three years ago.

I understand that the money is tantalizing and hard to resist, but you have had more than enough time to think things out and do the right thing. Leaving like a thief in the night is not the right thing. I hope you rethink your plans and do the right thing for yourself and your alma mater. The same money will be there in the fall, but you will feel a whole lot better about yourself if you follow the more noble path you originally set for yourself. Frank

I hope what I write makes sense because what you wrote has me so pissed off.

Angel is allowed to make whatever decision he thinks is best for him and his family. It's his right for him to take any opportunity that is provided to him. He came to Seton Hall to prepare himself for the next level whether that be athletically or academically.

What kind of extra warning is he supposed to give? The coaching staff has known this was a possibility since Angel declared for the draft and it was even talked about before the season was over. It's their job to prepare for either outcome. Do you also fault Whitehead for leaving last year because this is the same situation.

Everyone on this board would have loved Angel to comeback and saw the potential in the team but it's not Angel's responsibility to make our college basketball season more enjoyable

Angel is allowed to make whatever decision he thinks is best for him and his family. It's his right for him to take any opportunity that is provided to him. He came to Seton Hall to prepare himself for the next level whether that be athletically or academically.

What kind of extra warning is he supposed to give? The coaching staff has known this was a possibility since Angel declared for the draft and it was even talked about before the season was over. It's their job to prepare for either outcome. Do you also fault Whitehead for leaving last year because this is the same situation.

Everyone on this board would have loved Angel to comeback and saw the potential in the team but it's not Angel's responsibility to make our college basketball season more enjoyable
I'm sorry, but this is NOT the same situation. Angel DID NOT get invited to the NBA Draft Combine and is not in most top 100 prospect lists. Something shifted in the last 72 hours and all that has been talked/rumored about is/are agents in his ear.

Of course he can make his own decisions, but to call the situations the same is misguided IMO.

I'm sorry, but this is NOT the same situation. Angel DID NOT get invited to the NBA Draft Combine and is not in most top 100 prospect lists. Something shifted in the last 72 hours and all that has been talked/rumored about is/are agents in his ear.

Of course he can make his own decisions, but to call the situations the same is misguided IMO.

Who cares if he got invited to the combine or who is in his ear. It's his right to leave when he feels ready to leave if it be to the NBA or overseas. You say he is getting bad advise but you have no idea what anyone is telling him.

Stop crying because the basketball team lost a player who feels he is ready to move on with his life to other opportunities.

Seems that is the norm in college basketball from coaches leaving to players leaving early for the pros, to transfers in and out. It goes both ways.

Everybody is out for themselves. I don't think you'd find it much differently in whatever line of work/sport you're involved with.

Reactions: jerseygem8
Yes, everyone wants to go out of their way to thank Angel and wish him well, yadayadyada, but I would like to admonish him.

Leaving so unexpectedly has left Seton Hall in a lurch and does not reflect well on his good intentions. He could have and should have certainly given a more realistic heads up that he might be leaving , thereby allowing the staff to make alternative plans to somewhat cover his departure.

So yes, Angel we thank you and all that, but you should have manned up and given more adequate and timely notice of your departure so as not to desert your teammates and fans who were anticipating the promise of a wild ride with you aboard.

Yes, Angel. Your bad. But it's not too late to reverse course and delay your departure so as to complete the mission that you and your teammates set out to accomplish three years ago.

I understand that the money is tantalizing and hard to resist, but you have had more than enough time to think things out and do the right thing. Leaving like a thief in the night is not the right thing. I hope you rethink your plans and do the right thing for yourself and your alma mater. The same money will be there in the fall, but you will feel a whole lot better about yourself if you follow the more noble path you originally set for yourself. Frank

I am as heartbroken and disappointed as any Seton Hall fan. While I do think leaving now is a mistake, who am I to judge Angel's decision. This is his life. None of us know his life situation. How many times or siblings and children have made decisions that we knew that was dead wrong yet they made their decision? This is Angel's life. Whatever he decides, we wish him the best. He represented our University with pride, passion and dignity. He played his heart out for us. Hoping, wishing and praying for Angel to return is great, but bashing him on how he went on his decision is not.

Angel come back, but if you don't, I will be rooting for you wherever you go and hope you make it big time.

Who cares if he got invited to the combine or who is in his ear. It's his right to leave when he feels ready to leave if it be to the NBA or overseas. You say he is getting bad advise but you have no idea what anyone is telling him.

Stop crying because the basketball team lost a player who feels he is ready to move on with his life to other opportunities.
I care, that's why I'm on a Seton Hall basketball message board. You obviously care as well, otherwise you would be doing something else...

I have been reading The Trove for weeks, so feel like I am fairly well informed on what feedback Delgado has been given by folks more in the know than myself (and most likely you). All indications were he was staying until the last 48-72 hours.

Of course it is his right to leave whenever he wants. He doesn't owe Seton Hall anything and certainly owes me even less. This is a Seton Hall hoops message board, the best returning player just suddenly shifted course and appears to be leaving the program, and I am commenting on my reasons why I think it's a bad decision.

I am more surprised just from the standpoint that Angel really seemed to enjoy his time at the Hall but it is what it is. While it was always a possibility he would leave really beveled he would be back when everything was taking into account. I may not agree with the decision, but it is his life he doesn't owe any of us anything(even if we feel like he does) He put it all out on the floor for 3 years and has decided to move on. Hopefully works out for him. He has some tough odds to beat.

I think it's difficult not to compare this situation with IW based on the original post saying SHU should have received the news sooner. Angel made it known he may not come back, just as IW did. I may be wrong, but wasn't the consensus that if he were to leave it would be to play overseas? So how much heads up is he supposed to give the school? If the reports are true, he's given the school more time than IW.

Believe me, I'm upset that he's leaving. I find it hard to believe it's in his best interest. However, I don't think he's done wrong by SHU in making this decision. SHU benefitted tremendously by him choosing to come here.

Reactions: HallLine69
I think it's difficult not to compare this situation with IW based on the original post saying SHU should have received the news sooner. Angel made it known he may not come back, just as IW did. I may be wrong, but wasn't the consensus that if he were to leave it would be to play overseas? So how much heads up is he supposed to give the school? If the reports are true, he's given the school more time than IW.

Believe me, I'm upset that he's leaving. I find it hard to believe it's in his best interest. However, I don't think he's done wrong by SHU in making this decision. SHU benefitted tremendously by him choosing to come here.
All I'm saying is that this situation appeared to be much different per information over the last few weeks on The Trove. Something changed and it seems odd that it changed AFTER he was not invited to the NBA Combine.

Reactions: SHUPirate2008
I just don't think we can bash Angel here. He's given a lot of his heart and soul to Seton Hall University. He could have went to another college. This move should not come as a
complete surprise.

The kid is going from Zero K a year to maybe 200K a year at age 22 or so. He has every right to change his mind 10 times.

Will he be an NBA player? Odds say no at this point. Could it happen, maybe. More likely a guy that can play on the international circuit for 10 years and represent his National team. He should be able to do well financially, better than many American college graduates and without any college loan debt.

Agents have been pounding his ear for a very long time. Probably even during this season and maybe back further than that. All indications were he was coming back and the staff understandably built this year's roster around him.

Remember, Angel fired a warning shot when he noted unsolicited after beating Rutgers that if he came back he would guarantee a 4th straight win. That's the first time he openly spoke about leaving.

Still, he didn't give any indication he would do that until recently when an agent convinced him it was best to leave and start a pro career imm.

And next year agents will convince more players to leave before they're ready and too many of them will never get their college degree .

Reactions: catholicman
The real issue is agents get in with these kids early and most start paying for things right away. So when your here 2-3 years you are racking up a tab and the agents will push to get you to go pro asap/

Reactions: Section112
There are way too many assumptions on this board that this is a bad decision. There are plenty of good reasons to stay another year, but angel has a very strong resume and is almost 23 years old. Talk about a degree all you want, but people go to college to get jobs. If angel feels now is the right time to actually make some money off his craft than so be it. Blame the NCAA for robbing these kids under false amateurism.

Reactions: BabyBlue
You get these players away form the team dynamic and structure for a few months and they have a lot going on in their ear. Many have made this choice and benefited for sure, but many more have not.

I hope Angel is the former. I think he will be. Somewhere. Some time. Could make for a good episode of Parts Unknown (a nod to Anthony Bourdain).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Everybody is out for themselves. I don't think you'd find it much differently in whatever line of work/sport you're involved with.
Just like we as fans are out for ourselves as well. Fans want Angel to stay so we can possibly have a really good season next year.

Whether we agree or not agree with his decision, it's still HIS decision. It's his life. Afterall, we are just fans.

We're not "giving him a pass." He's part of the SHU family. And just like regular family, even if you think they're making a colossal mistake, you can still show up to the wedding and genuinely wish them the best.

Reactions: RPCity
People talk about this that and the other thing on how college athletics is a business. Well this is part of the business. Agents are salesmen. You put any salesman in front of any customer, he's going to sell and push the sale. That's his job. Consumers need to make the smart choice. Without knowing all of the details, who is anyone to say this is a smart choice or a dumb choice.

We're not "giving him a pass." He's part of the SHU family. And just like regular family, even if you think they're making a colossal mistake, you can still show up to the wedding and genuinely wish them the best.

Haha, this is a good one. And then again after the marriage doesn't work out, you're there to give support.

So if Angel tries this and it doesn't work and he's having a rough year, I'm sure his former coaches, teammates, and rest will be there to support him.

You are a great poster, but Angel owes nothing to the program. He gave every ounce of effort he had on the court. He said immediately after the Arkansas game this was a possibility. There's no 60 day notice in the scholarship like a basic rent agreement has. He could taken until the very last second to make his choice in either direction. Angel did absolutely nothing wrong. He was a class act before he stepped foot on campus and he leaves a class act. Disagreeing with his choice is one thing, putting him in the category of a thief leaving in the night is absurd.

These agents should put their money where their mouth is and if they are telling these kids to leave early because they will be drafted, then guarany at least a first year salary.

This advice AD is getting is so bad it's almost comical. Could he some day become a Kyle O'Quinn type player....yes, but needs to develop and extend his jumper and improve his free throws. Also needs to put on 20+ pounds. These are things he could have done in his SR year.

Sadly we'll only be reading about him and his accomplishments in the DR or Turkey from here on out.

As far as SHU, though he was a great rebounder, his numbers were somewhat inflated as the team relied on him to clean the glass. Some of those will now be taken by Desi, Ish Brodi, and spread out as opposed to one guy getting 20. Offensively we were never a great post entry team.

We now have the backcourt to create off the dribble, drive and kick. If our shooting is better we won't be as reliant on second chance points.

The situation isn't ideal but i don't think it's the end of the season next year.

Angel never owed me a thing. And imo, he has repaid shu tenfold. If one of you guys changes jobs and your boss or coworkers or customers feel let down, tough luck. We all are in charge of our lives. And I hope what angel decides works out for him.

What a ridiculous original post - shocking who it is from too. Angel owes nothing, and I was planning to be surprised if Angel came back. He is 23, his stock won't really change with 1 more year playing college, and he should need minimal credits at this point as seniors typically are below 12 credits a semester if they are on track with all of the extra summer coursework they have done in the first 3 years. His degree can likely be wrapped up in one, maybe two years of summer sessions.

Bravo, sir. Very, very well-stated. Couldn't agree more.

Teach, brother.

This is not on Willard, but if he can't get Angel to come back after his dominant junior year, great team coming back next year, & not being invited to the combine, then something is wrong. Oh and getting a college degree.

And next year agents will convince more players to leave before they're ready and too many of them will never get their college degree .
How many if these kids actually get a degree by staying 4 years.. When their respective season ends most drop out anyway and start preparing for either for the football combine or basketball workouts.. I think people are very naive if you think many of these top players actually graduate.

Willard should have played a role in this decision. I do not know if he did. Willard should have sourced the best info possible from NBA contacts with regards to Angel's prospects. Willard should not have a bias to bring him back but advise in Angel's best interest. If he sets a precedent with good resource and advice it will help with future recruiting. Again, I do not know what KW has played but it would be the benefit to all if he takes a proactive role.

Reactions: mjs429
Willard should have played a role in this decision. I do not know if he did. Willard should have sourced the best info possible from NBA contacts with regards to Angel's prospects. Willard should not have a bias to bring him back but advise in Angel's best interest. If he sets a precedent with good resource and advice it will help with future recruiting. Again, I do not know what KW has played but it would be the benefit to all if he takes a proactive role.

Did everyone here have an alcoholic beverage as a minor? Did everyone's parents here have a talk with them about under age drinking? Parents are proactive and give advice, kids don't always follow it, that doesn't mean the parents didn't do their duty. There is no doubt in my mind every coach including Willard is proactive and talks with their players in these situations. You can look in the past and find not every player made the right decision. A lot of guys left early that shouldn't have. Some guys stayed and got hurt. I hope Angel makes the right decision for himself whether that's staying or leaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyBlue and Piratz
Well, the point is he is gone...at 23 he was kind of boxed in. Unfortunately had he come back as a 4th year senior and 24yo, his chance of being a first round NBA pick off not being invited to the combine in his junior year were nil. I wish we had planned better for this happening but as I have been saying for the past too many years to count, this is what goes on here: we get close to the return to glory but it slips away. Just like when IW left, we have a hole to fill with no filler and another so so year. Yes so so, one and done is not a resume enhancer for the school.

The sticky part this time around is Delgado seemingly changing his mind to turn pro late in the game. That's rough on the program, staff, teammates. But that's life.

He's entitled to, of course. He's had the itch to play for pay all year.

To me I don't see how his situation worsens if he stays another season (and yes that assumes injury risk which is there for every single player).

Angel is emotional by nature. Good kid. I am sure this is hard for him with much consternation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT