ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Mays R.I.P.

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
The “Say Hey Kid” has moved on to that great outfield in the sky. He was, without question, one of the best to play the game of baseball. Crazy that we lose him and Jerry West within the same week.

I never saw Willie in his prime, but my father told me the only Joe D was a better center fielder. In any event, Willie is an immortal.

RIP. Played well before I was born but I was always a fan of the game and the legends. Last night I was reading up on his life/career and I came across this nugget:
Willie Mays played 22 seasons and made 24 All Star teams. I had to reread that 3 times. Without googling the answer(I had to) How is that possible?

RIP. Played well before I was born but I was always a fan of the game and the legends. Last night I was reading up on his life/career and I came across this nugget:
Willie Mays played 22 seasons and made 24 All Star teams. I had to reread that 3 times. Without googling the answer(I had to) How is that possible?
They had 2 all star games in some early 60s years

newspress-collage-v68etakl7-1718765443918.jpg

Reactions: SnakeTom
When I was about 9 years old my Dad said we're going to see the best player in baseball. He drove us an hour and a half to Connie Mack Stadium and Willie hit an inside the park home run! Thanks Dad, thanks Willie. The greatest player ever.

I got to see all 3 over numerous summers in person. Despite my devotion to da Bums, Willie was the greatest of them all. My childhood innocence ended the day my Dad came home and there on the back page of his Daily News was a picture of Campy on a gurney after the collision in Glen Cove, his neck frozen in an ugly brace. The finality of it all was incomprehensible to a 13-year old boy.

I got to see all 3 over numerous summers in person. Despite my devotion to da Bums, Willie was the greatest of them all. My childhood innocence ended the day my Dad came home and there on the back page of his Daily News was a picture of Campy on a gurney after the collision in Glen Cove, his neck frozen in an ugly brace. The finality of it all was incomprehensible to a 13-year old boy.
I remember that awful day.... and that awful back page......looking at the immobile Campy in disbelief. I was a Yankee fan through and through..... but loved the fact we had three major league teams to watch and root for in NY

Reactions: SnakeTom
The 50's were great years for baseball in New York. You had the three best centerfielders in the game as well as the two best catchers and a pair of Hall of Fame shortstops. I remember going to Ebbits field with a playground trip. It was Brooklyn vs Cardinals. There were 6 future Hall of famers playing that day. The 4 dodgers (Jackie Robinson had already retired) plus Stan the Man & Hoyt Willhelm. The game ended with another HOF player Gil Hodges hitting a Grand Slam off Wilhelm. What a great memory.

Oh yes, Willie was the best player I ever saw (even though I was a Brooklyn fan)

Tom K

There were two years with two All-Star games. The second games each year were to raise funding for the players pension fund.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
Some years they played two all star games?

There were two All-Star Games played each season from 1959 through 1962. The second game was added to raise money for the MLB players' pension funds, as well as other causes. The experiment was later abandoned on the grounds that having two games watered down the appeal of the event.

Reactions: SnakeTom and HALL85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT