ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, we still need a PG for next season

Bobbie Solo

All World
Dec 31, 2003
Bayonne Leave It Alone
Kadeen at the 1 will be a disaster. They'd better still be using that last schollie for a PG who can run the team right away, which we don't expect or want Walker to yet.

Walker is a good pick up but we're still in trouble and wasting our senior class without Thorpe or Darrington.

Knowing we were only going to sign Walker I lost interest in Darrington. So I don't know.

Truthfully the staff was worried about chemistry as we have a lot of players looking for major minutes. That means someone is going to be disappointed. Adding a Thorpe or Darrington would only make a crowed situation worse.

That said, I have no doubt that is going to be the next major sore spot for many of our posters.

Wow, such a great day as adding Jordan Walker and Dan just kicks me in the balls. We need another point, Thorpe or Darrington would make us a Sweet 16 team without question. Guess the deal was that Walker would sign if we didnt bring in anyone else but Duval and they agreed. Glad to have him, but would love the security of the grad transfer or juco guy.

Wow, such a great day as adding Jordan Walker and Dan just kicks me in the balls. We need another point, Thorpe or Darrington would make us a Sweet 16 team without question. Guess the deal was that Walker would sign if we didnt bring in anyone else but Duval and they agreed. Glad to have him, but would love the security of the grad transfer or juco guy.

I'd be shocked if we don't get 20 quality mins from Jordan. Then you have to find time for Carrington, Powell, Cale, Gordon, and Desi between the 1-3. Bringing in a Post Grad PG makes the situation worse. Chemistry is important.

Walker is a million times better than what I was expecting and feared greatly last week, but not having another point opens the doors for alot of the negative posters to eat Willard up.

Hope we just hold the extra ship for a mid year transfer and run with what we got.

Reactions: Irishwakeup
Thorpe would start over Walker.

BTW - I love Walker, but with the chance to have an amazing run, I'd prefer a grad transfer.

Walker is a million times better than what I was expecting and feared greatly last week, but not having another point opens the doors for alot of the negative posters to eat Willard up.

Hope we just hold the extra ship for a mid year transfer and run with what we got.

Here is my opinion

1) Carrington will be better with the ball as a SR

2) Walker will be an upgrade offensively over Jones

Can everyone just enjoy the fact that we finally added a 4 star PG to the roster? There will be plenty of time to complain if the plan doesn't work out, but let's all celebrate rounding out a great recruiting class today.

Couldn't agree more with Dan about the risk of overcrowding the back court. Obviously we'd like to have an experienced PG to come in and be a floor general, but we have a ton of talent on this roster and now is the time to enjoy that fact. It's time to put some trust in this coaching staff. Go Hall!

I agree...lets just enjoy this moment and be most thankful we have a Jordan Walker.

I'd be shocked if we don't get 20 quality mins from Jordan. Then you have to find time for Carrington, Powell, Cale, Gordon, and Desi between the 1-3. Bringing in a Post Grad PG makes the situation worse. Chemistry is important.

I think you're right, Artie. Too many players, not enough minutes. Had we not signed Walker I'd be salivating for Darrington. But that ain't the case.

Reactions: PKT_SP13
I think you're right, Artie. Too many players, not enough minutes. Had we not signed Walker I'd be salivating for Darrington. But that ain't the case.

I think Darrington would of been an issue. We didn't need a volume shooting lead guard.

It's like the classic Stones song says "sometimes you don't get what you want, you get what you need...."

Carrington will improve a lot at the PG position based on his experience last year. He also knows his teammates and their tendencies and knows the offense. The coaches and Khadeen will have a lot of film to look at and instruct from too. Improve his handle and decision-making and we could have a lethal team next year with Khadeen and Jordan manning the PG position, Powell or Cale at the 2, Desi/Cale at SF, Angel and either Ish/Nzei or even Sandro getting time at the 4 spot. It will work!

I think Jordan will be GREAT, and glad we got him, but based on a comment from Dan last week, it seemed that we were not promising him no competition and that was what was holding it up. Then Dan comments today that we are not going after anyone else. Seems pretty obvious.

Promising only gets Willard into trouble, remember Jaren Sina?

It got Amaker in trouble too.

Something to be said for guys that tell kids that the best player will get the minutes.

Of course in that case, we wouldnt get Walker, so hoping for the best here.

Walker is going to prove everyone wrong about not being able to start at pg as a Frosh. There is a squeeze for playing time at the guard position. However, you are going to see the team run more smooth and efficiently with Walker at PG. Here is a guy that can penetrate at will and can find Angel down low or kick it out to the perimeter for open looks. If his outside shot falls, then I can't see how he is not going to get his minutes. Walker is going to get 20 minutes a game.

PG Walker/Carrington
2G Carrington/ Powell
SF Desi/ Cale
PF Ish/Nzei
C Delgado/ Mamu

The player that is going to have to fight for minutes is Nzei. He will get pushed by Mamu at the 4 and possibly Desi at the 4 if the Hall decides to go to a 3 guard lineup which I think we will see. Can you imagine how fast a Walker, Carrington, Cale, Desi, Delgado team can be?

imo, comparable players (talent/size) to Jordan Walker are Charlie Moore and Bryce Aiken..
Charlie Moore 28.8 mpg 12.1 ppg 3.5 Ast to 2.9 TOs
Bryce Aiken 27.8 mpg 14.5 ppg 2.8 Ast to 2.5 TOs

Jordan can be a productive player for us THIS year.

I personally wasn't a fan of Darrington and he seems to be looking elsewhere.
I really liked Thorpe but there was no guarantee he doesn't have his mind made up that he wants to play at home for Pitt and I'm not sure he would be that much better than Walker. Plus we get Walker for 4 years when we've had a revolving door at pg since JT.

This year's class Cale, Sandro, Walker, Brodie and Gill is very good. And quiets a lot of critics about the team post-2014 class.

I am perfectly happy with Carrington at 1. Not enough minutes for another PG. And this year defenses will have to respect our 1 (Carrington/Walker) whereas last year we got little production out of 1/4 on offense. Plus Sandro will give you offense at 4 and stretch the defense to open it up for delgado. I do not think scoring will be as much of a problem.

I think Jordan will be GREAT, and glad we got him, but based on a comment from Dan last week, it seemed that we were not promising him no competition and that was what was holding it up. Then Dan comments today that we are not going after anyone else. Seems pretty obvious.

Promising only gets Willard into trouble, remember Jaren Sina?

It got Amaker in trouble too.

Something to be said for guys that tell kids that the best player will get the minutes.

Of course in that case, we wouldnt get Walker, so hoping for the best here.
You can speculate until you're blue in the face... or you can read the quotes.

“They told me that I will be given the keys to the team as long as I earn it and that I will be a major factor next season” Walker said. (http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/787474?referrer_id=1272156)

I suppose a Grad Transfer PG would be good to have. However, I am not going to worry about what we don't have. I am optimistic we can mold what we do have. Today is really good day.

Reactions: HallLine69
Can everyone just enjoy the fact that we finally added a 4 star PG to the roster? There will be plenty of time to complain if the plan doesn't work out, but let's all celebrate rounding out a great recruiting class today.

Couldn't agree more with Dan about the risk of overcrowding the back court. Obviously we'd like to have an experienced PG to come in and be a floor general, but we have a ton of talent on this roster and now is the time to enjoy that fact. It's time to put some trust in this coaching staff. Go Hall!
How long have been reading posts on this message board? There are a few posters who post negative posts no matter what happens at Seton Hall.

imo, comparable players (talent/size) to Jordan Walker are Charlie Moore and Bryce Aiken..

I really liked Thorpe but there was no guarantee he doesn't have his mind made up that he wants to play at home for Pitt and I'm not sure he would be that much better than Walker. Plus we get Walker for 4 years when we've had a revolving door at pg since JT.

This year's class Cale, Sandro, Walker, Brodie and Gill is very good. And quiets a lot of critics about the team post-2014 class.

I believe Walker is a much more talented player then Aiken.

I believe Walker is a much more talented player then Aiken.

27 ArtieLange9, 2 minutes ago

Bryce Aiken would have been better than Madison Jones last year, so Jordan Walker should be better as well. I was all for Aiken last year and Walker this year, just think we need to hedge our bets and bring in a failsafe.

Walker is going to prove everyone wrong about not being able to start at pg as a Frosh. There is a squeeze for playing time at the guard position. However, you are going to see the team run more smooth and efficiently with Walker at PG. Here is a guy that can penetrate at will and can find Angel down low or kick it out to the perimeter for open looks. If his outside shot falls, then I can't see how he is not going to get his minutes. Walker is going to get 20 minutes a game.

PG Walker/Carrington
2G Carrington/ Powell
SF Desi/ Cale
PF Ish/Nzei
C Delgado/ Mamu

The player that is going to have to fight for minutes is Nzei. He will get pushed by Mamu at the 4 and possibly Desi at the 4 if the Hall decides to go to a 3 guard lineup which I think we will see. Can you imagine how fast a Walker, Carrington, Cale, Desi, Delgado team can be?
This...normal rotation is 8-9 players to keep everyone happy. This would be tough enough before adding a grad transfer PG and don't forget you have a team that is senior heavy from the leadership standpoint. It's not like Walker will be on the floor with a bunch of newbies.

We have a number of players that can run the floor and finish. We may see too many turnovers at first but Walker will thrive in that environment.

Fans and posters alike tend to forget that only one ball is used and only five guys can play at a time. If you have 13 blue chippers, a number of them are going to be unhappy, and nobody is going to want to throw the ball inbounds because they'll never see it again.

Reactions: Joe_T
Zach Braziller is reporting that Khadeen will likely start at the 1 with Walker being his back up.

The issue is an obvious one. The near present vs the future.

Yes, no doubt bringing in a high quality post grad PG would make us better next season. Potential chemistry issues not withstanding.

But also yes this is a major move re the future. Having 5 starters all leave at the same time would have caused issues the following season. Especially at the all important PG position.

Willard, Sha and the rest decided that it was better to go with the roster they currently have, possibly sacrificing just a little on court talent than to go all in with a grad transfer.

We'll see moving forward if they made the right decision.

To me now the most critical person on the team is Carrington. Maybe not the best player but certainly we only go as far as he takes us unless Walker plays better than expected in his rookie season.

I agree about playing time being crowded if it were any other position besides point guard. We still need a point guard for next year, especially one with experience.

Hey - I was the one who said Sandro should redshirt because there are just too many bodies in front of him and the playing time won't be there.

If Jordan puts up similar numbers I think we can go very far in the tourney pending match ups of course. But I do not agree that Walker is better than Aiken. After seeing both in their senior year i rather have Aiken. That was a heartbreaker for me last year.

Last edited:
Madison didn't hurt our chemistry

Most of the guys couldn't pick Thorpe out of a lineup.

Give me the NYC/NJ who has played some of the best PG's in the nation and more then held his own.

Artie, I am beginning to think that reading comprehension is no longer an assumption I can make.

You, among others, have painstakingly provided information that explains how positive things actually are, and umpty posts above here seem to be about how fast the draught of hemlock will work. Sheesh.

I have been gaining an appreciation of your inputs, so, today is a GOOD DAY (tm) for all Pirates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT