ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, we still need a PG for next season

Madison didn't hurt our chemistry
Jones was a pass first PG unlike the post grads so he didn't have to sacrifice any part of his game.

Also, our backcourt wasn't crowded last year. This season is different.

A decision was made by the staff on what they perceived as needs and best fit.

I understand the decision, but you can never have too many point guards. Injury? Experience? They should have taken another pg instead of 3 bigs

We didn't have a point guard at the time. LOL. They would have been given the starting job & guaranteed mins

Just keep a high quality pipeline going each year, and instead of trying to sell the mythical, he can outline the attainable. Year over year. Does not mean every year is peak. But every year is CREDIBLE.

That means a lot.

Both point guards will have their problems guarding. Will there be blow byes with Carrington from the speedier guards and can Walker guard big wings if he gets caught in a switch? Last two years we could really guard in the back court. This will be a big challenge. But I love our team!! Go Pirates!!

I like the Walker commit but have to admit I'm not comfortable without having depth at the point , especially one with some experience. On Dan's comment that " No grad transfer was coming here without a guarantee of minutes " the question I have to ask is how many minutes were the grad/Juco transfers looking for that they would allow them to commit to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjs429
Walker is going to prove everyone wrong about not being able to start at pg as a Frosh. There is a squeeze for playing time at the guard position. However, you are going to see the team run more smooth and efficiently with Walker at PG. Here is a guy that can penetrate at will and can find Angel down low or kick it out to the perimeter for open looks. If his outside shot falls, then I can't see how he is not going to get his minutes. Walker is going to get 20 minutes a game.

PG Walker/Carrington
2G Carrington/ Powell
SF Desi/ Cale
PF Ish/Nzei
C Delgado/ Mamu

The player that is going to have to fight for minutes is Nzei. He will get pushed by Mamu at the 4 and possibly Desi at the 4 if the Hall decides to go to a 3 guard lineup which I think we will see. Can you imagine how fast a Walker, Carrington, Cale, Desi, Delgado team can be?

This scenario at the 1 would be ideal. I'd love to see Walker be able to do more for us quicker than most think. Would negate my original point, which is fine by me. I just do not want Carrington at the 1, basically ever.

Depth will be a problem only if Walker were to be injured or was wildly ineffective. Otherwise, I expect him to get 20 minutes per game. KC will get 10 minutes at PG to allow him time with Cale/Powell. That leaves 10 minutes for the backup PG, which is not enough to entice a quality Grad Transfer in my opinion.

Ideally, if we could get a 5th year guy to come and commit to 7-10 minutes per game, I say go for it. Otherwise, having Walker on board is the way to go.

Reactions: hallwins
This just in. The kid can play, and like Madison last year (even to a lesser extent) has a wealth of experience on the court to bring him along.

He will be productive. By March, freshmen are hardly freshmen anymore.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
We have a Big 10 team, Rhode Island, Virginia/Vandy in November & Louisville in December. Need him at a high level early on, not just March.

We have a Big 10 team, Rhode Island, Virginia/Vandy in November & Louisville in December. Need him at a high level early on, not just March.

Darn. I knocked over the pitcher of hemlock. Sorry. I will go to the larder to find more and bring it back for you. It has a bitter taste but finishes smoothly. They say.

LOL of course.

FYI - Michigan will not participate in the BE - B10 challenge. Would have been a fun matchup.

This just in. The kid can play, and like Madison last year (even to a lesser extent) has a wealth of experience on the court to bring him along.

He will be productive. By March, freshmen are hardly freshmen anymore.

Agree with this. Kid will have 30 games into under his bell by the time the NCAA tourney comes around. I would rather roll the dice with Walker as a freshman than what looks to be pretty average to below average transfer PG options.

Madison didn't hurt our chemistry

Very true. But you have to find that type of selfless person among those few candidates who are also hoping for their last hurrah.

Let's say such a selfless, talented point guard is found. It's not hard to imagine that sophomore Myles Powell will be improved and becomes a potent offensive force, and Khadeen improves somewhat as a point guard. In that scenario, it's possible a Madison Jones wouldn't even start if it meant keeping an improved Powell or Khadeen on the bench.

It's also hard to maintain team chemistry with the rest of the talented 4-year guards. A more experienced Powell gets the minutes he deserves and is kept happy, Cale gets some minutes and is kept happy, Walker gets minutes and experience, Gordon gets minutes and experience. Reducing those minutes is gambling against one or more of them leaving.

I'm imagining a scenario where opposing coaches fear facing the potent backcourt of Carrington and Powell (and the existing subs) more than any other backcourt in the BE. Likely wrong, but you never know.

I think the biggest question mark is style of play. So much of our offense is based off decision making by the PG in the pick and roll. If we can ease Walker into that situation by playing through Angel early in the year, the need for major minutes from a true PG won't be as needed. It will really allow us to play with KC at the 1, but also allowing him to play off the ball and look to score as opposed to run the offense.

Not bringing in an experienced PG to give us depth behind Walker still troubles me. I understand the argument that is being made that come March Walker will have 30 games of experience behind him and that is true. What none of us can predict is how well Jordan adjusts to college BB and where he is even after having 30 games behind him. There are , and there have been, very talented PG's that struggled in their freshman year and it took more then one year to become the caliber of PG that really good tourney teams need. It's that uncertainty that makes me think bringing in a PG with college experience behind him remains a need for this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT