ADVERTISEMENT

Aikens

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Per Zags twitter, Bryce now says we are among those recruiting him hardest:

Heading into Peach Jam, 2016 PG @BryceAiken tells me Illinois, Miami, Harvard, Michigan, Seton Halll, Cal & Stanford recruiting him hardest

Per Zags twitter, Bryce now says we are among those recruiting him hardest:

Heading into Peach Jam, 2016 PG @BryceAiken tells me Illinois, Miami, Harvard, Michigan, Seton Halll, Cal & Stanford recruiting him hardest
Holloway busting his butt on this one.

In the final analysis it all comes down to whether the head coach can close the deal. I have no doubt that Sha has done an outstanding job in getting us to the point where KW can make a pitch to get these players to commit to us and it's the ability of the head coach to close that is the key factor in determining recruiting success.

Excellent effort by Shaheen. This staff's job is hanging by a thread. Whenever that happens, people turn up the jets and work harder at outcomes.
The only thing that will save this staff is a banner recruiting year. Because the team will be decimated- win or lose, by the end of next season. Win- top players will go pro and play for money somewhere. Lose and they will transfer.
I could be wrong but that's the way it looks to me.

Last edited:
We were not on his last "working him the hardest" list fwiw. We discussed it here a month or so ago. Here is the post from 5/29. It is on the trove (you can now do keyword searched of the forums...nice)

"Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 4m4 minutes agoFairview, NY
2016 St. Pat's PG @BryceAiken tells @SNYtv Stanford, Harvard & Miami are recruiting him the hardest."
We were always one of the hardest working schools trying to get Aikens. Holloway has been on him for years.

Sometimes a player will only mention teams (at the time) that he has the most interest in.

I would have said that its pathetic if we werent trying to recruit him. But time and time again people post that SHU is recruiting X player the hardest and it means squat. Getting that player to have interest in your program is a completely different story.

Yes he is! I will say it again, if we don't get Bryce after all the time the coaches (Sha) have put into his recruitment Willard should be fired! No way we should lose this recruit!

do we really need a pg? with Thomas, Carrington, and whitehead (probably back)

Maybe Thomas is not that good? And if KW is banking on an NCAA Tourney bid, you'd figure IW will have a very good year. Aiken = IW's natural successor? Atleast that's what Sha/KW is most likely selling.

all comes down to whether or not this kid wants to stay close to home. By all accounts, looks like he can get it done in the classroom as well, so my guess is that he'll choose a school with a very high academic reputation.

do we really need a pg? with Thomas, Carrington, and whitehead (probably back)
YES! Carrington and Whitehead are not real point guards. They are at best lead guards. Thomas is a backup. Aiken is a very good player and would be the first true point guard since Theodore on this team.

YES! Carrington and Whitehead are not real point guards. They are at best lead guards. Thomas is a backup. Aiken is a very good player and would be the first true point guard since Theodore on this team.
I think Isaiah is a point. I guess we shall see if he is this year. I have never seen Thomas. I just remember the hoopla when he committed early to SJU, and then our lack of enthusiasm when he was a target in the fall of his Sr year. Seems odd that our two best targets are both guards.

Yes he is! I will say it again, if we don't get Bryce after all the time the coaches (Sha) have put into his recruitment Willard should be fired! No way we should lose this recruit!

No coach should get fired based on one recruit. In recruiting it's not about who spends the most time on the player, but which situation the player feels is right for him. If one of the big boys swoops in and lands him that would be out of Seton Hall's control. All you can do is try.

Exactly!

No coach should get fired based on one recruit. In recruiting it's not about who spends the most time on the player, but which situation the player feels is right for him. If one of the big boys swoops in and lands him that would be out of Seton Hall's control. All you can do is try.

Unfortunately it's not one recruit. How many different recruits did he miss out on last year that we were told we were in the front and then were either not in contention or went somewhere else (especially for a big man with the star-studded class we hauled in the year prior). Bryce has said many times we have been all over him for years now. Others on this thread have said the same thing. He has a very good relationship with Sha and from what I have heard a pretty good one with Willard. Big boys or not (aren't we big boys? Lol), we should not lose him to anyone!

That's a fair summary. He's a priority with a good relationship with Holloway. Nothing is ever a given in recruiting but Aiken is the kind of player we should get if we want to be a factor' in the Big East.

It's going to be difficult to land any of the top players in the 2016 class given our poor performance the last three years coupled with a head coach who has been widely reported to be on the hot seat. I give Sha and the rest of the staff a ton of credit for working as hard as they are in what is a difficult situation and would love to see Aikens commit to us to reward them for their effort.

I still don't understand why we took on Thomas (who can't play this year) in what is supposedly a coaches make or break year. Makes absolutely no sense.

I still don't understand why we took on Thomas (who can't play this year) in what is supposedly a coaches make or break year. Makes absolutely no sense.

The good thing is he can practice with the team and hone on his skills this year. Even if BA comes on board it will be nice to have two capable pg's on the team. We all know how erratic freshmen can be at times so it's good to have someone who has practiced with the team in a pivot position for the following year.

That's a fair summary. He's a priority with a good relationship with Holloway. Nothing is ever a given in recruiting but Aiken is the kind of player we should get if we want to be a factor' in the Big East.

I agree with you he is a major priority. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will commit before the season starts.

We also need a quality big but have not heard anything about being a front runner with any bigs. I know there are some that we are recruiting....anyone heard who we are really in tight with?

I agree with you he is a major priority. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will commit before the season starts.

We also need a quality big but have not heard anything about being a front runner with any bigs. I know there are some that we are recruiting....anyone heard who we are really in tight with?

With only 1 scholarship to give right now, I'd focus on a guard.

Reactions: shupat08
Trove readers will know that at this time Powell, Aiken and Ponds are the priorities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT