ADVERTISEMENT

And here it is...Whitehead named in Impermissible Benefits

I think the problem is this:

An assistant coach at Seton Hall not only knew, he was on the same payroll.

I don't know how precisely an "institution" can be legally separated from an "employee," but the culpability of Seton Hall University (and the men's basketball coaching staff) is more a matter of degrees than anything else.

Reactions: shupat08
The reality check is you should not jump to conclusions. Think about it, if you were an agent illegally paying a player would you want the school to know about it?

I'm more worried about Tiny being involved because he was an employee at SHU so even if Willard and Lyons didn't know he was involved he was a coach here.

Regardless, knowing or not the Hall will be penalized if this info is proven correct and the question will be to what degree.

I think the Tiny payment makes this a much more difficult situation. It’s going to be harder for Willard to prove he had no knowledge when a member of his staff was receiving money as well.

I can’t decide if Willard knew or not in my opinion, but he had to have known what he was signing up for when he offered Tiny a job. Maybe not to this degree, but Tiny did have a reputation.

I don't think it will come to this but can you imagine if the player who saved his job eventually became the reason he got fired?

Reactions: General_Tso
I don't think it will come to this but can you imagine if the player who saved his job eventually became the reason he got fired?

I was biting my tongue on this. But this will end up going to Willard and Lyons.

Even if they didn't know specifics, if the documents are confirmed, this is a lack of institutional control.

Compliance issues are a nightmare even if there is no direct involvement.

It’s a dirty business. My thinking is this - I didn’t give Pitino, Pearl, Miller or any of the other coaches whose assistants were implicated the benefit of the doubt so I can’t give Willard. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

I hope this goes beyond just one agent though. I don’t think people realize just how far reaching the corrupt world of college athletics goes.

Interesting that the balance sheets lists Tiny as receiving a $9,500 "advance" (as opposed to a loan). I'm no accounting expert, but wouldn't that seem to imply that Tiny was on the ASM payroll? Is he even allowed to be on the ASM payroll while he was employed at SHU (assuming of course he was employed by SHU at that time as people seem to indicate above)?

What we are surprised that something dirty happened to get Whitehead to Seton Hall? Come on. Let's not be naive. We all know something went on with Whitehead and Tiny. What exactly? Who knows. I guess for Seton Hall the best scenario is that Whitehead got this money not to attend the school but to sign with the agent after he left the school. Does not seem this agent has any connection to the school.

That gives the school some breathing room. The one good thing is that Seton Hall can't go down without the blue bloods going down as well. And we know that won't happen.

Reactions: its haLL baLL
What does the image say? I still can't manage to see it.
It’s just a pic of a tweet from McManus about SHU and IW being implicated that Gibbs “liked”. Lol. I just don’t like Sterling Gibbs. At all.

Reactions: SHUMA04
It’s a dirty business. My thinking is this - I didn’t give Pitino, Pearl, Miller or any of the other coaches whose assistants were implicated the benefit of the doubt so I can’t give Willard. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

I hope this goes beyond just one agent though. I don’t think people realize just how far reaching the corrupt world of college athletics goes.
I think the situations are much different. We all know Tiny was hired to bring Whitehead here. No debate of that. That's 100% within the rules and many coaches have done that. There's nothing new there. When it comes to landing a player a coach has everything to gain, I'm sure the head coach know about it. What does Willard or any head coach have to gain when it comes to a player already there receiving money. If I did something that was a fireable offense I wouldn't say hey boss guess what I have going on with an agent.

Here's my 2 cents. From an outsider's perspective it's well known Willard was a total failure in his first 4-5 years here and his recruiting was abysmal. He knew full where it was all going and he did what needed to be done to bring in the top class he needed to compete. It's sad but in college basketball, for the vast majority of coaches you either play the game or get replaced by someone who will.

It is pointless to get into the "did Willard know?" back and forth. When Tiny Morton became an assistant coach, we all had a gut instinct about what might be going on. Your gut is usually right.

They didnt know anything. and if they did they also knew it was no different than any university and nothing was likely to happen. Im still on team whitehead. Sina and gibbs transferred like 100x they had bad attitudes. regardless of what happened with IW his attitude and love for seton hall has been amazing

Reactions: anon_4htvdezyfe7k9
I think the situations are much different. We all know Tiny was hired to bring Whitehead here. No debate of that. That's 100% within the rules and many coaches have done that. There's nothing new there. When it comes to landing a player a coach has everything to gain, I'm sure the head coach know about it. What does Willard or any head coach have to gain when it comes to a player already there receiving money. If I did something that was a fireable offense I wouldn't say hey boss guess what I have going on with an agent.

What I’m saying is I can’t be under the assumption that Willard didn’t know that his top player and one of his assistants was receiving money from an agent. I’m not saying he facilitated it, but I can’t give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn’t aware simply because that’s not my mindset when it comes to these situations.

I try and approach all of these scenarios the same, whether it’s my team or not. I hope that in the coming months I’m proven wrong.

Lol yeah Tiny didn’t know. This type of stuff was always a major risk in doing what we did.

M
Yes but right now that's far better than having concrete proof coaches were involved and could destroy future success.

They didnt know anything. and if they did they also knew it was no different than any university and nothing was likely to happen. Im still on team whitehead. Sina and gibbs transferred like 100x they had bad attitudes. regardless of what happened with IW his attitude and love for seton hall has been amazing

Team Whitehead all day. Sina and Gibbs were cry babies who couldnt accept they got over recruited. Too bad for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hallball95
Team Whitehead also includes Delgado, KC, and Desi.

I'll take those guys over Gibbs and Sina any day. The latter literally quit in the middle of a game.

We'll see where this thing goes. I love Whitehead, but if he ends up really damaging the program (as he and Tiny are 1) down the road we'll see if folks change their tune on him in general.

As for Team Whitehead versus Team Gibbs/Sina - its IW all day long as those guys were complete quitters.

Love IW as a player.

If you guys didn’t think the staff, including our HC, knew this was going on you are kidding yourselves. Everyone knew the deal with Tiny (and Antigua, for that matter). Why do you think Steve Lavin said no? He ends up losing his job and Willard makes several more million dollars.

Team Whitehead all day. Sina and Gibbs were cry babies who couldnt accept they got over recruited. Too bad for them.

It also opens up speculation around what the staff and current senior class knew about this whole Andy Miller saga.

It has often seemed that they've been distracted and going through the motions.

Maybe this is the reason?

Love IW as a player.

If you guys didn’t think the staff, including our HC, knew this was going on you are kidding yourselves. Everyone knew the deal with Tiny (and Antigua, for that matter). Why do you think Steve Lavin said no? He ends up losing his job and Willard makes several more million dollars.

The world knew as 2 of them sat on our bench there's no debating that. Lavin wanted nothing to do with Tiny on his staff. Willard sucked it up and took that risk. That doesn't mean either Lavin or Willard knew about agents.

Reactions: LBP43
It also opens up speculation around what the staff and current senior class knew about this whole Andy Miller saga.

It has often seemed that they've been distracted and going through the motions.

Maybe this is the reason?

I thought the same thing earlier today.

Reactions: SHUMA04
But maybe his stock is up a little bit today?

Gibbs and Sina are not one in the same, by the way.
No one is going to come out of this looking good, but IW and company looking bad doesn’t make Gibbs look any better IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT