ADVERTISEMENT

And here it is...Whitehead named in Impermissible Benefits

I don't think it will come to this but can you imagine if the player who saved his job eventually became the reason he got fired?
For weeks now I’ve had a feeling KW wasn’t going to be back next year regardless of whether or not we continued to tank. Now I’d be shocked if he is. My guess is he leaves of his own volition before the hammer drops.

For weeks now I’ve had a feeling KW wasn’t going to be back next year regardless of whether or not we continued to tank. Now I’d be shocked if he is. My guess is he leaves of his own volition before the hammer drops.
Thoughts on what that does to Powell and Cale should that play out.

I don't agree unless it can be proven that Willard was involved. If Willard is dirty he should be fired on the spot.

I am glad that the FBI and not the NCAA is involved because there is a far greater chance that they will get the truth on this.

BTW, the post game tomorrow after the SJU tilt should be interesting. You know Willard is going to have to face questions. Let's see if he answers them or gives a no comment.

But one thing I take issue with you on is your apparent entitlement attitude. Maybe i am reading you wrong but you seem to think that really good players need to get paid right away.

It's a slippery slope from thinking you should get cash right away for your talents and taking dishonest/illegal benefits.

In the past, people thought they needed to prove themselves...

Entitlement? I’m in favor of a free market. Nobody should be prohibited from realizing their earning potential- especially a basketball player with a finite shelf life. Would you prohibit an English major on scholarship from receiving an advance to write a book?

Clearly Whitehead (and all these other athletes listed) had already proven himself if another person was willing to pay him a good sum of money against his future earnings.

If institutions of higher learning are also going to operate as a farm system for pro leagues then we have to accept that some athletes aren’t coming to school with the intention to graduate. They’re coming because we’ve developed this ridiculous system (if you stop and think about it) that says if you want to go pro in football and basketball, you must be enrolled as a college student first. Something has to change.

Isaiah Whitehead’s $37K puts Seton Hall in corruption crosshairs
ByZach Braziller

February 23, 2018|10:37am

The bombshell report that implicates more than 20 college programs and 25 players, past and present,of violating NCAA amateurism rules, hits close to home.

It includes Brooklyn’s Isaiah Whitehead, a member of the Nets and the linchpin for Seton Hall’s 2016 Big East championship team.

The bank records of former NBA agent Andy Miller and his agency, ASM Sports, are being reviewed by the FBI as part of the investigation to corruption in the sport, andYahoo Sports received documents from the raid of Miller’s office.

The report alleges that Whitehead, who signed with Miller’s agency shortly after going pro, received $26,136 during his freshman year at Seton Hall in 2014-15 as part of the ASM balance sheet titled “Loan to Players.” Another document listed Whitehead as being given $37,657 and stated he was “setting up a payment plan.” Whitehead, a McDonald’s All-American and the most high-profile recruit of the eight-year Kevin Willard era, switched agencies after the raid on Miller’s office, joining Roc Nation Sports.

It brings into question the 2015-16 season, in which Whitehead led Seton Hall to 25 wins, the Big East crown, and an NCAA Tournament berth. He was the center of Willard’s blockbuster 2014 recruiting class, a group that includes current seniors Khadeen Carrington, Ismael Sanogo, Angel Delgado and Desi Rodriguez. Victories from Whitehead’s two seasons at the New Jersey school could be vacated, if he is ruled ineligible retroactively. As for the Big East title, that is uncertain. It comes under the league’s jurisdiction, not the NCAA’s.

Whitehead’s high school coach, Dwayne “Tiny” Morton, is also in the documents, as receiving a $9,500 loan. Morton coached at Seton Hall for one season, Whitehead’s freshman year, before returning to Lincoln. He’s known Miller for years, as the agent represented Morton’s former player Sebastian Telfair. It was unclear when Morton received the loan.

“I have no comment,” Willard said when reached about the matter. “I can’t say anything.”

When reached for comment, Morton said he has yet to see the report, and wanted to read it before answering questions. Morton’s son Trevonn is a manager on this year’s team.

Whitehead’s mother, Ericka Rambert, didn’t respond to a message seeking comment.

Yea everyone knew there was more to it than Tiny sitting on a bench for a year

The world knew as 2 of them sat on our bench there's no debating that. Lavin wanted nothing to do with Tiny on his staff. Willard sucked it up and took that risk. That doesn't mean either Lavin or Willard knew about agents.

He has to give a no comment or spin zone right now

I don't agree unless it can be proven that Willard was involved. If Willard is dirty he should be fired on the spot.

I am glad that the FBI and not the NCAA is involved because there is a far greater chance that they will get the truth on this.

BTW, the post game tomorrow after the SJU tilt should be interesting. You know Willard is going to have to face questions. Let's see if he answers them or gives a no comment.

Yea everyone knew there was more to it than Tiny sitting on a bench for a year
Maybe there was nobody is denying that but that doesn't necessarily mean the school knew everything they did. Now shame on Willard and staff for not knowing and there should be consequences. But this wouldn't be the first time an employee did something illegal behind the back of a boss.

I'm not saying everyone in the school knew. But if this was going down - and it looks like it was with Tiny on the staff - I'm sure the staff and our HC knew, and if our HC knew the AD did as well given their rel'ship.

Maybe there was nobody is denying that but that doesn't necessarily mean the school knew everything they did. Now shame on Willard and staff for not knowing and there should be consequences. But this wouldn't be the first time an employee did something illegal behind the back of a boss.

I'm not saying everyone in the school knew. But if this was going down - and it looks like it was with Tiny on the staff - I'm sure the staff and our HC knew, and if our HC knew the AD did as well given their rel'ship.
I hear what you are saying and what you are saying is a real possibility. But there's also a real possibility that an assistant coach was doing something without anyone else knowing. If someone's doing something they shouldn't be doing there is a real possibility they kept it to themselves. Again it happened here, so consequences should take place, but I don't see it as a definite everyone else knew.

If true a player took payment from say an agent, he would no longer be considered an amateur. so he would be an ineligible player, so team would have been playing with this ineliglble player, so the NCAA would consider that a violation and may vacate wins and/or impose other penalties.

I love that there are still clueless saps on here in 2018 that need this explained to them. Go follow another sport if this concept is too much for you.

Due process anyone?

Court of Public Opinion will dictate more than criminal/civil court in this matter, especially if we are talking which coaches or ADs will be pressured to step down. Even in the rosiest scenario of actual guilt you could still see Lyons or Willard paying a price.

I hope the FBI can figure things out:

Scenario 1: Morton received money before or after coaching for SHU, and there is no evidence anyone at SHU had a hand in IW's dealings with Miller. This is the best case for SHU and I don't see how the punishment could be too severe.

Scenario 2: Morton took money while at SHU or anyone at SHU (including Morton) had a hand in the Miller deal. This means SHU deserves punishment in line with whatever the FBI/NCAA decides.

The one good thing in all of this is nobody cares about Seton Hall in this report. When you see notable names and notable schools, nobody is mentioning Whitehead or Seton Hall. Eventually we will get our fair sentence, but right now nobody outside of this area cares about Seton Hall.

Scenario 1: Morton received money before or after coaching for SHU, and there is no evidence anyone at SHU had a hand in IW's dealings with Miller. This is the best case for SHU and I don't see how the punishment could be too severe.
I think the documents say Tiny's loan was on the books as of 12/31/15 - so the only hope is the $ was received before he got to The Hall.

The one good thing in all of this is nobody cares about Seton Hall in this report. When you see notable names and notable schools, nobody is mentioning Whitehead or Seton Hall. Eventually we will get our fair sentence, but right now nobody outside of this area cares about Seton Hall.
LOL - exactly...my co-worker just got done running on the treadmill over lunch. Said all they were talking about was this report and the major programs. Said if he didn't know me he would have no clue The Hall was involved just watching ESPN...

It's certainly possible that Willard and Lyons knew nothing about this.

They did, however, both know all about Tiny Morton and still signed off on his hire. For that, there may rightly be serious repercussions.
100% agree with that. I hope there's more information that comes out. I don't care which way that information goes, but more information so we can make the right decision moving forward to cut ties or not.

This explains quite a bit. Not surprised at all. Williard defending Slick Rick and lack of focus on his team this year. Plus, very disappointed in Whitehead. all these comments about his great character over the years are in question.

Reactions: ShuVol and SPK145
I think the documents say Tiny's loan was on the books as of 12/31/15 - so the only hope is the $ was received before he got to The Hall.

That's all I mean. If he, for instance, accepted the money in the summer prior to hire as an incentive to steer IW towards Miller. Paying him to steer IW to SHU doesn't really make sense in this context.

LOL - exactly...my co-worker just got done running on the treadmill over lunch. Said all they were talking about was this report and the major programs. Said if he didn't know me he would have no clue The Hall was involved just watching ESPN...
I've been listening to College Sports Radio on XM all day I heard Isaiah Whitehead and Seton Hall mentioned once. I've actually heard the name Villanova once too. But the focus is on Miles Bridges, Wendall Carter, Collin Sexton, and Kevin Knox.

In no way do I condone what happened here, but......

In Whitehead's defense, when you don't have anything and a guy is giving you $27K, hard to turn it down. Wasn't there a kid at UConn who said when he went there he did not even have the cash to go out with other kids for a pizza or whatever?

And if I understand what I read at one time correctly, his mom was pushing him to go pro ....had to be for the money. .

A
Long way to go here and it's certainly possible that SHU had no knowledge.

Still, if Whitehead took money then regardless of the Hall's knowledge we should be punished no different than any other school as the rules are established.
appropriate punishment - vacating SH's NCAA appearance with IW if true. Equal justice for all.

In no way do I condone what happened here, but......

In Whitehead's defense, when you don't have anything and a guy is giving you $27K, hard to turn it down. Wasn't there a kid at UConn who said when he went there he did not even have the cash to go out with other kids for a pizza or whatever?

And if I understand what I read at one time correctly, his mom was pushing him to go pro ....had to be for the money. .

No excuses. Lots of unethical activities look good because you are young and stupid. Don't try and take away his agency. "People were dangling money in front of me and I don't have it right now" is really poor excuse making.

I would rather have him just come out and say he took the money and lied, and it was wrong. I'm not really sure there would be any punishment associated with that, though I'd like to see him come forward and tell the FBI/NCAA the whole story. If Willard or Lyons knew I want to know.

It's certainly possible that Willard and Lyons knew nothing about this.

They did, however, both know all about Tiny Morton and still signed off on his hire. For that, there may rightly be serious repercussions.

100%. The Morton/Antigua deals were made with eyes wide open. Willard/Lyons needed players, they knew the characters they were dealing with, they knew where the road could lead. Both benefited financially from taking that risk. Now the chips are falling.

Well, at least we finally got some coverage in the Star-Ledger!

200.gif
Priceless!

Desi playing soon just dropped down the list of concerns as a Seton Hall fan. Guess we got bigger problems right now. We were not getting a five star recruit without cash.

The Mink-man on WFAN took mercy on us and didn’t even mention SHU in his 20-20 update about it just now. Even locally no one cares apparently. Not that it will matter when the sanctions get handed out.

I have a feeling there might be a few (not many) five stars that go to a school without taking cash. Schools that are bigger. Just a guess. Secondly, even if everyone did it does not make the act right.

Reactions: catholicman
The Mink-man on WFAN took mercy on us and didn’t even mention SHU in his 20-20 update about it just now. Even locally no one cares apparently. Not that it will matter when the sanctions get handed out.

Told a co-worker who is very tied into the high school basketball scene, and his comment was no kidding everyone of any worth gets some type of special benefits/money from someone along the way, just how the system works.

Willard dances around the truth and gives excuses during press conferences about our play..why would this be any different. He's gonna deny deny deny, which I don't blame him.

I love IW and for what he did for this program, but if true his actions are very disappointing. I'm thinking that he took the money to hopefully help his mother and not just on material things. I respect someone trying to look out for their family, but his actions were very selfish. He had to have known that his actions were illegal and that this could not only hurt him but also the men that he calls "his brothers." What did all this get him in the long run except a trip to the G league and a bad reputation. He owes "his brothers" and every SHU fan an apology.

Reactions: SPK145
Chris Mack came out and made a quick comment denying any involvement on his behalf and his staff’s. Not to say Willard should be hasty with public comments, but where there’s silence......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT