ADVERTISEMENT

April recruiting tweets

I think everyone just thought we'd simply ride the Sha wave of success at St. Peter's and kids would be knocking down the door to play for him. And by everyone, I also mean our AD. Today's athlete-student has proven what we knew already and that is that money talks and winning doesn't really matter.

I think everyone just thought we'd simply ride the Sha wave of success at St. Peter's and kids would be knocking down the door to play for him. And by everyone, I also mean our AD. Today's athlete-student has proven what we knew already and that is that money talks and winning doesn't really matter.
Winning matters a lot

Never said they weren't trying. The issue seems to be, from the outside looking in, that they didnt have a plan and now we are really behind the 8-ball. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
I'd argue that they're paying the price for the failures of past administrations. We have a decade's worth of alumni who never saw success (and thus had a poor experience relating to basketball) as students and as a result became disengaged as alumni. That generation is now a demographic that should be leading our donation efforts, but they're already lost because the administration at that
critical time failed them.

So as a result, our engaged alumni are the same people who have been funding the program for 30+ years and the young alumni from the last 6-7 years that don't yet have a lot of money to contribute.

There's simply no good plan for trying to squeeze an extra $1M+ out of the same people who fund the program every year. I mean that's a huge percentage relative to what they're already giving.

Finding a way to re-engage that lost generation is probably our best chance, but that's also very difficult with alumni who have been checked out for so long.

Last edited:
Yes that's why teams like Butler and GTown are getting players. From all that winning over the past few years.
Again, I’m sorry, you guys just don’t get it…those coaches have won, they sell winning, they sell pro development.

You guys look at team names. Also, Butler is doing better than us (everyone is) but they aren’t killing it

I thought the average fan can’t donate to Hall Ball. Isn’t it exclusive to larger donors. And that is the one the University is supporting. So I don’t know how much he could even promote or enourgae fans to donate to Hall Hands on Deck as a university employee. Nor do I know if he’s making calls to the larger donors. The whole thing seems to be a mess and done ass backwards.
I'm actually glad you asked. I'm willing to bet you are not the only fan that doesn't understand the school's NIL strategy. This just goes to show that the school has just done a really poor job with NIL education.

Last edited:
I'd argue that they're paying the price for the failures of past administrations. We have a decade's worth of alumni who never saw success (and thus had a poor experience relating to basketball) as students and as a result became disengaged as alumni. That generation is now a demographic that should be leading our donation efforts, but they're already lost because the administration at that
critical time failed them.

So as a result, our engagement alumni are the same people who have been funding the program for 30+ years and the young alumni from the last 6-7 years that don't yet have a lot of money to contribute.

There's simply no good plan for trying to squeeze and extra $1M+ out of the same people who fund the program every year. I mean that's a huge percentage relative to what they're already giving.

Finding a way to re-engage that lost generation is probably our best chance, but that's also very difficult with alumni who have been checked out for so long.
They had no plan and everyone knows it. Two fans have stepped up and are trying to help raise some money now.

Reactions: Gritty5837
Most fans probably don't even read it or just send it to their junk mail.
I said this a while back but the format is awful. Most people, I assume, check their email on their phones. The newsletter is meant for a desktop and it is not mobile friendly. We are supposedly a major university and we don’t have a single person who can recognize and fix this? Embarrassing and probably a big reason why people don’t read it. It’s hard on the eyes.

Another solid example of our administration’s incompetence is that I received a phone call from Seton Hall in December of 2021. A student asked me if I would donate $70 to a scholarship fund for future students. I blindly said yes and she was so happy that I thought she was going to cry. I found the dollar amount to be strange but whatever. I can only imagine the rejection she gets from cold calling alumni all day.

Fast forward and I have not received another phone call from the university since. I would imagine I should be a on a list as a donor who would contribute every year. I am absolutely shocked by the whole situation.

And somehow I’m surprised that our NIL situation is as bad as it is. All I need to do is remember that phone call and it makes too much sense.

Had our AD and others planned we would have ridden Sha’s wave of success!

They had no plan and everyone knows it. Two fans have stepped up and are trying to help raise some money now.
Beyond whatever the NIL issues are, I will say it again: maybe I’m totally naive here, but I don’t think every single recruiting decision or outcome is dictated by NIL. We had some good players last year and already have some good players this year coming back. It’s up to the coach who gets paid $ anyone would want to figure it out. Not being at the same par as peers is a reason for not getting some players, but I refuse to believe it is the be-all, end-all folks portray it to be. And that is on Sha to figure out a way and develop kids.

Here's the other problem then. Even if Sha is able to develop some unknowns, they'll be open to free agency if they become successful players and therefore there is essentially no way around NIL.

Reactions: shupat08
Another solid example of our administration’s incompetence is that I received a phone call from Seton Hall in December of 2021. A student asked me if I would donate $70 to a scholarship fund for future students. I blindly said yes and she was so happy that I thought she was going to cry. I found the dollar amount to be strange but whatever. I can only imagine the rejection she gets from cold calling alumni all day.

Fast forward and I have not received another phone call from the university since. I would imagine I should be a on a list as a donor who would contribute every year. I am absolutely shocked by the whole situation.

And somehow I’m surprised that our NIL situation is as bad as it is. All I need to do is remember that phone call and it makes too much sense.
I must be an outlier since I get at least 3 calls a year asking for donations. I have received calls from athletes on the cross country track team & both the women's volley ball and soccer teams on some occasions. Other times, it's students who, after getting some bucks, will BS for a good 10-15 minutes about how things are changing on campus.
I was anticipating a call this past week but nothing but crickets---

Reactions: garyshu71
I admit that I was disappointed with Sha's lack of involvement with "increasing " interest in the latest Fund drive. To his credit , KW was very involved with matching Fund offers and, admittedly, I was motivated to contribute. The " secret double probation "of the current program is so obviously counter-productive.
This seems to be very, very, very true.

It was very disappointing.

I admit that I was disappointed with Sha's lack of involvement with "increasing " interest in the latest Fund drive. To his credit , KW was very involved with matching Fund offers and, admittedly, I was motivated to contribute. The " secret double probation "of the current program is so obviously counter-productive.

This seems to be very, very, very true.

It was very disappointing.
Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but I agree with this take.

I thought last year's match was disappointing given it was significantly less than KW. I could rationalize that as a cute marketing angle for a first-year coach who had just struck it rich, so to speak. As opposed to someone who had been making big money for a while. I don't think KW was always matching at 30% up to whatever threshold was set.

This year, nothing? Unless I missed something.

Mind you he has no obligation to do anything, but I would think it would make his job easier if he did (and make PB's job easier as well).

Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but I agree with this take.

I thought last year's match was disappointing given it was significantly less than KW. I could rationalize that as a cute marketing angle for a first-year coach who had just struck it rich, so to speak. As opposed to someone who had been making big money for a while. I don't think KW was always matching at 30% up to whatever threshold was set.

This year, nothing? Unless I missed something.

Mind you he has no obligation to do anything, but I would think it would make his job easier if he did (and make PB's job easier as well).
If I recall way back to his era, I believe PJ donated $50K toward the construction of the library. And his salary back then was not comparable to anything today.

You would need to disclose that to those season ticket holders because some might object to paying that tax on top of everything else folks pay for.
Take away the pirate blue donation and give the exact same amount to NIL. I’d prefer my donation go to the basketball team since that’s what I bought tickets to

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Take away the pirate blue donation and give the exact same amount to NIL. I’d prefer my donation go to the basketball team since that’s what I bought tickets to
As long as it is disclosed, and legal under whatever the NIL guidelines are, I think it is a good idea. Because some folks would probably refer the $ going to NIL instead of Pirate Blue, although I think others would want the opposite (and some might be fine with both).

Reactions: thehall07
As long as it is disclosed, and legal under whatever the NIL guidelines are, I think it is a good idea. Because some folks would probably refer the $ going to NIL instead of Pirate Blue, although I think others would want the opposite (and some might be fine with both).
But but but what about the pending law in 201727484 !?!

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
@Halldan1 in another thread, you stated Femi left because he was told an incoming player was going to take his spot. Are you allowed to share who that player is? Because Sha messed up big time

@Halldan1 in another thread, you stated Femi left because he was told an incoming player was going to take his spot. Are you allowed to share who that player is? Because Sha messed up big time
Yes, but not here. On the Trove. Anyone curious please ask me there.

Don’t know much about him but with his list, must be solid to good.

What we do know is …Miami is perceived to pay NIL at a higher level than most 🤑🤑🤑

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT