ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor’s Scott Drew shuns Kentucky after John Calipari’s stunning exit

I’d love for Slick Rick to absolutely ruin the Johnnies fan base but I think it would be bad for the league.
Not "think". It would be awful for the league. The only thing worse would be Hurley bolting from Uconn to KY.

Assuming Donovan is a really a no-go, TBD, I think they will look at Pearl and TJ Oltz.

Reactions: Merge
Hurley was their top choice. Drew, Donovan, Oats were their next tier. If they can't get any of those names, their next choice would probably be either Pearl or circle back to Pitino. After that, they would be down to their D-list and most fans would probably not be thrilled with whoever was coming thru that door.

Selfishly for our conference, I hope it's not Hurley or Pitino, although Pitino wouldn't hurt as much as losing Hurley.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Not "think". It would be awful for the league. The only thing worse would be Hurley bolting from Uconn to KY.

Assuming Donovan is a really a no-go, TBD, I think they will look at Pearl and TJ Oltz.

Pearl seems like a great fit for them.

It's fun to watch these "Blue Blood" fanbases like UK, UCLA, Louisville, etc, realize they have an overinflated view of worth as head coaches turn them down.

Edited: Look whose name has entered the chat:

Surprised Will Wade hasn’t been rumored. I think he would do well at KY.

It's fun to watch these "Blue Blood" fanbases like UK, UCLA, Louisville, etc, realize they have an overinflated view of worth as head coaches turn them down.

Edited: Look whose name has entered the chat:

PJ turned them down. So will Sha if they ever come calling.

Rothstein now reporting that Mark Pope is a candidate for the job. And the KY fan base over at Rupp are losing their s**t.

Admittedly, I did not have him in my top 10 of potential suitors. Surprised they haven't reached out to Beard, TJ, or Miller before moving on to Pope. Maybe the administration wants one of their own running the show.

I don't think losing Pitino would be the disaster that some predict. I continue to think that Rick will have a difficult time with chemistry, and continue to land in the middle of the pack. There are some younger talented coaches that would do well at SJU, and Pitino would be forgotten.

There are young talented coaches out there, but Pitino is a force of nature. He brought massive exposure to the Big East this year. No coincidence they had some of the highest rated games. He gets them coverage like basically one of the second level professional sports teams in the biggest media market in the country. ESPN had a whole game day/practice segment with him. His presence creates national exposure and that translates to and benefits the whole conference. With what’s going on with the Power 5 football conferences, having a guy like that is helpful.

There are young talented coaches out there, but Pitino is a force of nature. He brought massive exposure to the Big East this year. No coincidence they had some of the highest rated games. He gets them coverage like basically one of the second level professional sports teams in the biggest media market in the country. ESPN had a whole game day/practice segment with him. His presence creates national exposure and that translates to and benefits the whole conference. With what’s going on with the Power 5 football conferences, having a guy like that is helpful.
Agree, but he is starting to look physically old when see him on TV. When he was coaching at Iona I rarely saw him so I just thought “Pitino” as the (tarnished) legend. But seeing him in multiple games this season I just thought how long can he keep bringing the energy needed at this level.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
His faith is strong for sure. But it’s stupidity like this that gives God a bad name. Sorry but the Almighty could give a damn where Drew coaches.

Sounds like something you'd typical say should be on LOTS, doesn't it?

Agree, but he is starting to look physically old when see him on TV. When he was coaching at Iona I rarely saw him so I just thought “Pitino” as the (tarnished) legend. But seeing him in multiple games this season I just thought how long can he keep bringing the energy needed at this level.
He’s old no doubt, but the guy looks like he’s in great shape and he seems as mentally sharp as ever. The hair dye jobs are a sight themselves, but I don’t think he’s lost much if anything on his fastball. The passion and hunger are still there from afar. He actually performed better in year 1 of this rebuilding job than he has performed in year 1 of other rebuilds.

Now, when you are that age, things can go downhill quicker and you can “age” quickly. College sports is a younger man’s game for head coaches, but 70 or whatever he is now isn’t what it was even 10 years ago. I wouldn’t put anything past him.

Kentucky ain’t the job it used to be. The sooner the university and the fans realize this, the sooner they can start restoring their brand. This had to be a sobering wake up call to all of them.

Reactions: Section112
Roy Williams was not lead assistant when he took Kansas job

Coach K had 9 win season at Army heading into Duke

Jay Wright won 0 tournament games at Hofstra before Villanova

Tommy Lloyd was lead assistant at Gonzaga before Arizona

But what we have seen in recent years head coaches that had low major mid major to high major ascension are really good.

Pope was Pac 10 freshman of year in early 90s before transferring to UK. He played with 8 other NBA guys on that roster. UK will be fine.

Kentucky goes for the BYU guy. who knows maybe this works now that he can recruit non white guys who can also drink coffee, but initially this is a bad look for kentucky

Kentucky goes for the BYU guy. who knows maybe this works now that he can recruit non white guys who can also drink coffee, but initially this is a bad look for kentucky
He was on one of the greatest teams in the last 40 years of college hoops...nba background...good offensive system

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT