ADVERTISEMENT

Best restaurants by the Rock??

There is a little place in the parking lot on Green St that fills up quickly that isn't bad. Cozy and you can walk across the lot to the side entrance. Ellies Bistro - very convenient but fills up very early - limited seating.

I love the Adega Grill Bar but its a good walk or you park and then come to the game and park again. If you prefer the restaurant ask to be seated in the old room (seems like a cave). Spanish Tavern was bad a few years ago when I tried it (new management) but the reviews seems to be much better now. You can park by the Rock and walk a few blocks. Forno's is always great. Fornos and Adega Grill are my top choices for Portuguese/Spanish food.

Good luck!

Reactions: King of S
McSorleys by NJIT. Go first. Plenty of safe street parking away from crazy crowds. Park at game after you eat.

Food is good pub food and reasonably priced.

Reactions: CL82
I love the Adega Grill Bar but its a good walk or you park and then come to the game and park again. If you prefer the restaurant ask to be seated in the old room (seems like a cave). Spanish Tavern was bad a few years ago when I tried it (new management) but the reviews seems to be much better now.

Good luck!
Once the original owners of the Spanish Tavern sold and the new owners came on board, it turned the best restaurant into a bad one. I have not been there in a couple of years. I will give it another chance. But damn. What a drop off in quality food.

Reactions: Section112
I usually end up going in a little further in the Ironbound to Tony Da Caneca's. I've really never had a mediocre meal there. It's always good.

Once the original owners of the Spanish Tavern sold and the new owners came on board, it turned the best restaurant into a bad one. I have not been there in a couple of years. I will give it another chance. But damn. What a drop off in quality food.
When did that happen? Sorry to hear it, it had been very good.

McSorleys by NJIT. Go first. Plenty of safe street parking away from crazy crowds. Park at game after you eat.

Ah McSorleys, reminds me of a funny story. One summer while in NYC some friends wanted to go to a bar we don't often go to so we picked McSorley's in the East Village. One guy said he got in trouble there a few months ago. Great guy but when he had a load o n he could be hard to handle. We said they wont remember you. We went there. Ordered some drinks. Then Greg was missing. A bouncer was at the door yelling. We went to see what that was about. We see the bouncer pick up a flopflop, that fell off when they threw Greg out of the bar, and flung that at him as he was getting up off the street. He never told is what he did lol. Pretty certain he was guilty.

That is disappointing to hear

Ah McSorleys, reminds me of a funny story. One summer while in NYC some friends wanted to go to a bar we don't often go to so we picked McSorley's in the East Village. One guy said he got in trouble there a few months ago. Great guy but when he had a load o n he could be hard to handle. We said they wont remember you. We went there. Ordered some drinks. Then Greg was missing. A bouncer was at the door yelling. We went to see what that was about. We see the bouncer pick up a flopflop, that fell off when they threw Greg out of the bar, and flung that at him as he was getting up off the street. He never told is what he did lol. Pretty certain he was guilty.
That is a great story. Made more great because I had the Village on the brain. McGoverns is the name of the Newark pub on New St. I believe.

All the Spanish/Portuguese places mentioned above are good but to me not someplace for a lunch.
Try McWhorters BBQ on corner of McWhorter and Green. Across the street from Spanish Tavern. It’s Portuguese/Brazilian BBQ. They have giant manual rotisseries that the cooks flip all day long.
You’ll see half the Newark PD there so you know it must be good. It’s a hole in the wall. Great food on the cheap.

All the Spanish/Portuguese places mentioned above are good but to me not someplace for a lunch.
Try McWhorters BBQ on corner of McWhorter and Green. Across the street from Spanish Tavern. It’s Portuguese/Brazilian BBQ. They have giant manual rotisseries that the cooks flip all day long.
You’ll see half the Newark PD there so you know it must be good. It’s a hole in the wall. Great food on the cheap.
Sounds similar to Elm Street BBQ, you get a whole chicken off the rotisserie rice and beans and French fries served on a platter you might find when you get a pizza. BYOB and platter feeds 3 hunger guys for around $15. Liquor store couple blocks away for a six pack. Eat with the locals. It’s so good I stop sometimes on my way back from a business trip after leaving the airport. They give you a half tray of food and it’s really good. Great place to bring hungry teenagers before the game, save you a fortune. Lol

Reactions: donnie_baseball
I usually end up going in a little further in the Ironbound to Tony Da Caneca's. I've really never had a mediocre meal there. It's always good.

FYI this was bought and completely renovated. Went from Portuguese to a Portuguese / Brazilian crossover (new owner is a young Brazilian woman). Really nice renovation and my fish stew was pretty good.

I haven't been in mcGoverns for probably 35 years. Glad to hear that it is still in business.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT